Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-10-26, 16:15   Link #21
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Listen, as to qualitative issues with the manga, that's strictly my opinion and nothing else. Everyone's mileage may vary on that. I won't deny holding that view but... It's complicated. And hard to really get into without venturing into spoiler territory.
I loved the first two seasons because they reminded me of my days playing quiz bowl in high school and then College Bowl when I was in college. It captured the sense of team camaraderie like nothing else I've seen (although Kono Oto Tomare! has had its moments). If they're going to start pulling that chemistry apart in order to have relationship drama, I'm going to have issues.

On the other hand, as you said, everyone's mileage may vary. Some people like that sort of thing.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-26, 18:47   Link #22
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
If they're going to start pulling that chemistry apart in order to have relationship drama, I'm going to have issues.
Well... let's just say if the season goes far enough, there's going to be a fair bit of creative destruction. Sometimes, to build something, you've got to first break it apart.

<- Meanwhile, this viewer is forever Team Taichi. Go boy! You can do it!
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-29, 10:14   Link #23
Arya

Well, I'd say S1 and S2 differ from each other, and I'd prefer to have more of the first season than the second. Having said that, what I'd like to see, is some growth from the other main characters not named Taichi (hello Chihaya?) knowing is something that probably will never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
It will be two cours but it will not end unless they go for an anime original ending.
While the manga will definitely be ending soon it recently went from a bimonthly release schedule to a monthly one. This combined with the story moving at a snail pace means that it could easily last another two years or so.
Thanks Blaat, mmm, I hoped for the impossible I know. When I read about it I had my big doubts about that, but that would have been a smart move.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-29, 16:09   Link #24
Blaat

I was really hoping they would get Miyamura Yuko to voice Inokuma Haruka but Sakamoto Maaya works as well.
Old 2019-10-29, 19:12   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The art seems a bit off this season. I was thinking everybody had bigger eyes and then they introduce a character who canonically has big eyes

So that's what "individual matches are team matches" meant. I really like it. For a moment I was thinking Taichi and Arata were going to have a normal conversation but of course Taichi had to get triggered and stroll off with his NTR'd face. He's grown tremendously over the course of the series but Arata remains his kryptonite.

It was nice to see the regular as well as some old faces. Sudo is still such an asshole. Ririka is even more amazing than I thought.

Pretty sure Arata will win again, but who knows.
Old 2019-10-29, 20:02   Link #26
Wandering Soul

Ah Taichi, I guess no matter how much you grow some things don't change. I look forward to the day you can deal with that anger and resentment, resolve this one sided tension, and be actual friends with Arata.
Old 2019-10-29, 21:13   Link #27
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Absolutely loved the first three episodes. I admit that I don't remember every supporting character, so trying to keep up to date with all their quirks and personalities is kinda tough. But man, the feels are still there!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-30, 01:06   Link #28
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

I hadn't realized how much I missed Kana-chan. She reminds me of an old College Bowl kouhai of mine. Never mind Chihaya, Taichi, and Arata. I just want Kana-chan to reach her goal of becoming a reader.

Are they going to double up episodes like this every week? Or just until they get caught up with the rest of the season? Psycho-Pass is just running double-length episodes, without bothering to play the OP and ED twice.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-30, 04:55   Link #29
Arya

^ same here about Kana. She is such lovely person. Oh, I also follow her philosophy of doing little good things daily to bank luck for the future

But really I like all the side characters. I forgot what a keen eye Nishida has!

I also really like the "individual matches are team matches" approach.

Pour Taichi, he discovered himself wanting to chat with Arata (about Karuta of course, what else) having him wanting to chat back, but about building a Karuta team, and that hit his nerve, fearing Arata would go and take away that little spot he has, that little edge, that actually is big for Arata (and non-existent for Chiahaya).

Anyways, what are you doing Taichi, conforming to Arata and Chihaya

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2019-11-03, 16:58   Link #30
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I just marathoned the first three episodes and boy how I've missed this show. The first episode has "energetic" pacing then slowed down a bit in episode 2 but still a bit fast. Now the show is back to its perfect groove in episode 3, and the cliffhanger where Chihaya is about to face the former Queen is legit hyping me up.
Old 2019-11-05, 17:06   Link #31
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This show is just so damn entertaining. I imagined a different final
Spoiler:
but this pairing will be fun to watch next week as well. I like that they have built up the relationship between the former Queen and Sakurazawa-sensei, too. It might put her in a difficult position since she knows Chihaya's strengths and weaknesses better than most and might be asked to do some coaching if Chihaya faces the former Queen again.

Taichi still has self-esteem issues after all this time. They might be alleviated were he to
Spoiler:

The high point of the episode for me was
Spoiler:
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-05, 19:14   Link #32
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Those two episodes were breathtaking. All the victories obtained by the Shiranami society were huge, they all overcame huge hurdles. Such a shame Harada lost, but at least he laid the groundwork for Taichi's next match.

All this talk about offensive and defensive Karuta and how Taichi might be better suited for the latter made me wonder: aren't there all-rounders who are as good at defending as attacking? Three seasons and I still don't get all the subtleties of the game.

Loving the focus on Sakurazawa by the way.
Old 2019-11-05, 21:10   Link #33
Wandering Soul

I wasn't expecting Arata or Harada to lose, but I guess that goes to show how unpredictable Karuta is and how even the best players can get screwed by bad luck.

I like the focus on the former Queen and her relationship with Sakurazawa. Ended up getting more attached to her than I thought I would.
Old 2019-11-05, 22:07   Link #34
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Chihaya really needs to be more stamina and some energy drinks so she can stop falling asleep after every match
Old 2019-11-06, 03:31   Link #35
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

All I have to say is that these last few episodes have been some of the most magical stuff I've watched in a long time. It still amazes me how easily this show can hook me in to a card game after all these years.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-06, 14:37   Link #36
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Taichi still has self-esteem issues after all this time.
Self-esteem issues don't disappear overnight, not especially when they run as deep as they do for Taichi. At this point in his life, what he needs now is validation — proof that he's no fluke, proof that conscious effort and planning can overcome innate talent. His upcoming match against Chihaya will be crucial in that regard.

Most importantly, he seeks acknowledgement from the two people that matter most: Chihaya and Arata. He's so focused on this that he doesn't even realise how virtually everyone else is rooting so hard for him — Sakurazawa-sensei, his fellow Shiranami senpai, Retro-kun and, yes, even Sudo himself, in a way. All of them could see how much he has changed, how hard he was working to address every flaw in his game, and how diligent he was in learning from others.

Everyone, accept Chihaya and Arata. These two have never regarded Taichi as a serious contender in karuta and I would love to see Taichi one day defeat Arata in karuta, to put him in his place. It's great to see Arata humbled in episode 4. I never quite liked people who seem so perfect — they're boringly one note. To his credit, Arata has come to recognise this himself, and is trying to change this season.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-06, 16:35   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

As I've noted in the past, Suetsugu writes Arata as if she's in love with him herself. That's a major problem for his character IMHO.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-06, 18:17   Link #38
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
All I have to say is that these last few episodes have been some of the most magical stuff I've watched in a long time. It still amazes me how easily this show can hook me in to a card game after all these years.
I have to second you again. Watching these episodes made me realise once again how little I was hooked in anime series lately in comparison. Absolutely breathtaking, to steal Kanon's words, considering even it's a card game. I'm glad I had to watch these last two separately, but not by a whole week.
Quote:
As I've noted in the past, Suetsugu writes Arata as if she's in love with him herself. That's a major problem for his character IMHO.
I remember it and I still think that on the other hand the dedication and careness she put into Taichi should say the opposite. But I get the gist of what you are saying. She can't make him develop since he is already where she wants him to be and loves him too much to move him from there.

Old 2019-11-06, 18:35   Link #39
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I have to second you again. Watching these episodes made me realise once again how little I was hooked in anime series lately in comparison. Absolutely breathtaking, to steal Kanon's words, considering even it's a card game. I'm glad I had to watch these last two separately, but not by a whole week.

I remember it and I still think that on the other hand the dedication and careness she put into Taichi should say the opposite. But I get the gist of what you are saying. She can't make him develop since he is already where she wants him to be and loves him too much to move him from there.
Interestingly, Suetsugu has said in the past that she didn't expect Taichi to become the focus character he turned out to be, and had planned for him to be more or less in a conventional foil/minor anti-hero role.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-07, 02:42   Link #40
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I don't know about that. Arata, despite his woes, is boring. And he does have them.

Taichi, OTOH, has almost everything. He's very good looking, popular, smart, rich, promised a bright future... and yet you can't help but root for him.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
karuta