AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: High School DxD [LN/M] - DX.2 Rating
Perfect 10 2 50.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 2 50.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 0 0%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-12-14, 08:45   Link #21
Direwolf18

sounds like a linguistic miss translation occurred.

When I say filler I mean, "stories that are mostly there to fill up space in an anthology, they may be entertaining as stand alone works, but are not necessarily needed for a reading of the greater work". This can be considered canonical or not depending on the source.

Girls dressing up as a sexy ninja, or them meeting Posedien may be entertaining to read about. However it is not critical to the overall plot, compared to Ophis and Kunous interactions going to become very relevant in the coming volumes. It has already been referenced to a couple of times point blank and having not read that short story I am missing out.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-14, 08:51   Link #22
Hakai

That's why they are called 'side stories'
But filler is another thing
Old 2015-12-14, 11:33   Link #23
Direwolf18

Uhggg. Here we go lovely, linguistics.

According to Oxford dictionary for a literal definition:

Filler: An item serving only to fill space or time, especially in a newspaper, broadcast, or recording.

I don't see the word canon in there anywhere.
Old 2015-12-14, 12:29   Link #24
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf18 View Post
Uhggg. Here we go lovely, linguistics.

According to Oxford dictionary for a literal definition:

Filler: An item serving only to fill space or time, especially in a newspaper, broadcast, or recording.

I don't see the word canon in there anywhere.
literal definition doesn't apply as we're talking strictly within the context of a work of fiction.
Old 2015-12-14, 15:12   Link #25
SeaDam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
literal definition doesn't apply as we're talking strictly within the context of a work of fiction.
I think that post was in regards to Chichi's misuse of the word "literally".
SeaDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-14, 19:07   Link #26
DragonOsman
Dragon King

@Direwolf: I'm with Kidstandout on this one. The dictionary definition doesn't apply here. In a manga/anime/LN setting or context, a filler is something the anime puts in to stall for time until the manga or LN gets a chance to get farther ahead of the anime again. DX.1 and DX.2 and those other side-story anthologies all have canon side-stories that can't be considered filler by that particular definition. They're not filler, they're just side-stories. And there's a good reason why they're called as such.
Old 2015-12-14, 21:52   Link #27
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOsman View Post
@Direwolf: I'm with Kidstandout on this one. The dictionary definition doesn't apply here. In a manga/anime/LN setting or context, a filler is something the anime puts in to stall for time until the manga or LN gets a chance to get farther ahead of the anime again. DX.1 and DX.2 and those other side-story anthologies all have canon side-stories that can't be considered filler by that particular definition. They're not filler, they're just side-stories. And there's a good reason why they're called as such.
where is the thumbs up emoji? well said
Old 2015-12-14, 22:49   Link #28
SeaDam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOsman View Post
I guess the response to that would be, says who? The dictionary definition seems to fit just fine.
SeaDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-14, 23:48   Link #29
MV5

All of this just for the antics that occurred during a SS that will never come up again in any way, shape, or form? Adding the fact that it will hold no significance to the main story either?
MV5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-15, 07:20   Link #30
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDam View Post
I guess the response to that would be, says who? The dictionary definition seems to fit just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDam View Post
I think that post was in regards to Chichi's misuse of the word "literally".
That is the definition when it comes to anime/manga/LNs. I really don't see how that dictionary fits into a japanese media point of view.

Besides, SSs aren't even made to fill space, they are published in a separate magazine.
Old 2015-12-15, 12:26   Link #31
DragonOsman
Dragon King

^Exactly right. They aren't included in the main story and are just side-stories, so you can't call them filler.
Old 2015-12-15, 13:37   Link #32
Direwolf18

Thank you Seadam you got the joke. People use the word literally to much. Especially in places figuritivly is supposed to be used.

My basis of the use of the English language is centered around the dictionary. If you feel a word in the dictionary should have additional or more specific meaning feel free to write to Oxford dictionary people.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/contact-us/

Send them an email! Use action words to make it stand out!

To be fair I did some looking and I did see your definition on urban dictionary. But I avoid that whenever I can, it's like watching the slow rape and torture of my language as it degenerates into a sea of prepubescent internet memes.
Old 2015-12-15, 13:45   Link #33
DragonOsman
Dragon King

There's still such a thing as Internet and/or urban slang, though. Which is what the anime/manga/LN version of the word "filler" is.
Old 2015-12-15, 13:50   Link #34
Direwolf18

I'm to old and tired to keep up with all this "urban slang". My younger cousins assure me I am not hip or cool or whatever damn word they are using this week. Frigging kids, not a one of em can legally drink and they judge me.

You see a word that I am miss-using according to "urban slang" just assume it's my age, especially if an actual dictionary backs my usage up.
Old 2015-12-15, 13:56   Link #35
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf18 View Post
Thank you Seadam you got the joke. People use the word literally to much. Especially in places figuritivly is supposed to be used.

My basis of the use of the English language is centered around the dictionary. If you feel a word in the dictionary should have additional or more specific meaning feel free to write to Oxford dictionary people.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/contact-us/

Send them an email! Use action words to make it stand out!

To be fair I did some looking and I did see your definition on urban dictionary. But I avoid that whenever I can, it's like watching the slow rape and torture of my language as it degenerates into a sea of prepubescent internet memes.
Like I said before, I wasn't refering to the dictionary's meaning, I was talking about the usage of it regarding japanese media by japanese people, since that's the main subject of this forum. Not wanting to sound racist, but english is not Japan's forte.

But yeah, what Osman said.
Old 2015-12-15, 13:57   Link #36
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Okay, so how old are you? Pardon me for asking.

Edit: One post late.
@Chichi: I'm not sure about the "Japanese meaning" part.
Old 2015-12-15, 13:59   Link #37
Direwolf18

29 going on 50 or so I'm told.
Old 2015-12-15, 14:04   Link #38
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Told? You're talking like you don't know you're actual age. O.o
Old 2015-12-15, 14:04   Link #39
Hakai

We're really running out of things to talk about.... Damn

When does the next part of EX comes
Old 2015-12-15, 14:05   Link #40
DragonOsman
Dragon King

It's already out, someone just needs to translate it and put a summary up on here.