AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-04-28, 09:25   Link #21
Ryuga

Lol yeah, you kind of have to accept that the majority of the cast won't do fuck all for the most part when it comes to DBZ. It'll be the Goku show, Vegeta might be co-starring.

Anyway, if the new series ends up being as good as Battle of the Gods, that'll make me happy. I'm pretty hyped.
Old 2015-04-28, 09:46   Link #22
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

I'll be willing to bet anything Cell will make a return and be gold or something
Seriously though as long as this is as good as Battle of Gods or Fukkatsu no F I'll be happy.
Old 2015-04-28, 10:41   Link #23
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Wow, well this kind of explains why they didn't want to reanimate Z. I think the best part of this news is we can officially say Dragonball GT got retconned out of the main storyline.
Old 2015-04-28, 10:56   Link #24
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Oh joy, can't wait to see how else he can trash Gohan next. Skipping this, I'll just keep acting like the Buu saga is the last of the series and pretend these new films and series don't exist

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-04-28, 10:59   Link #25
Blaat

I'm still getting excited about new Dragon ball series announcement, where did I go wrong in life?
Old 2015-04-28, 11:16   Link #26
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Shinigami View Post
LOL, c'mon. It's been 20 years and that's gotta be one of the primary complaints even from the fans. How do you decide to come back but not acknowledge that.
Wasn't it because of the fan that he couldn't remove Goku when he wanted to?
Old 2015-04-28, 11:22   Link #27
AnimeFangirl

Goku is my favorite character, so I'm a-okay with the new series being The Goku Show. I'm definitely going to watch this.
Old 2015-04-28, 11:25   Link #28
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Frankly, I’m on the fence. I’m a huge fan of DB & DBZ when I was a kid. I even like the Buu saga due to its humor. But now that I’ve seen what Toriyama did with BoG, and what I see as lack of creativity with the next-level Super Saiyan (basically) only changing hair colors and using Freeza again in the latest movie, I am really concerned. Let’s hope Toriyama’s writing will improve in the TV series format. Contrary to what many people believe, DBZ story (at least the canon one from the manga) is not just muscular dudes punchig each other silly and cheap power-ups. It used to have genuine suspense, a bit of strategy (see Saiyan arc & Freeza arc), and even sci-fi thriller (see Android & Cell arc).

As much as I hate GT, I cannot deny that there are genuine creativity on display throughout the series. And Super Saiyan 4 is stll one of the most badass forms I’ve ever seen in the entire DB continuity.
Old 2015-04-28, 11:35   Link #29
aakun4

The fact that they keep milking DB (like any other finished successful series) will always be disgusting but if people keep buying it we can't really say much about it. At least Akira is getting involved in the recent projects but who knows if he's actually still inspired in DB or he just likes the coins he gets from it.. but either way, I can't say I'm not excited. It's also the best scenario they could have used (post-Buu) so pretty much anything can happen here.

I think putting Goten and Trunks at the spotlight in this season would be really interesting since we never got to see much from them after all. Their fathers and Gohan should take a secondary place and let them shine. Adding a new female character would be great too but I'll stop here otherwise I'll get disappointed for sure lol
Old 2015-04-28, 11:57   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I figured they'd make a TV series at some point given that movies aren't enough to explore the full potential of the universes mentioned at the end of Battle of Gods, but not this soon after Resurrection of F. We'll get the TV series before we even get to see the movie.

Although I'm assuming it'll be a sequel to the movies, I find it odd they're not mentioning it.
Old 2015-04-28, 12:22   Link #31
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakun4 View Post
The fact that they keep milking DB (like any other finished successful series) will always be disgusting but if people keep buying it we can't really say much about it. At least Akira is getting involved in the recent projects but who knows if he's actually still inspired in DB or he just likes the coins he gets from it.. but either way, I can't say I'm not excited. It's also the best scenario they could have used (post-Buu) so pretty much anything can happen here.

I think putting Goten and Trunks at the spotlight in this season would be really interesting since we never got to see much from them after all. Their fathers and Gohan should take a secondary place and let them shine. Adding a new female character would be great too but I'll stop here otherwise I'll get disappointed for sure lol
God no, I'm currently watching the DB Kai and they were annoying as hell, a series that follows them would not be ideal.

Now if Toriyama stopped making Gohan the new Yamcha or if he would just have made this take place many years later with a new cast then it would be interesting.

A new cast would be much better because what else is there for the current cast? SSGSSJ 2? Super Namekian God? Mystic God Krillin?
Old 2015-04-28, 12:39   Link #32
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Dragon Ball GT, meet Macross II. Macross II, say hi to Dragon Ball GT.

You two are now neighbors here in anime purgatory.
Old 2015-04-28, 12:43   Link #33
GDB

I'm curious where this will take place in the timeline, though. Can't really do it before Battle of Gods because there'd be almost no tension. There's less than 14 months between BoG and Resurrection F, and as far as we know the only things that happened were characters getting slightly new outfits and Goku/Vegeta training with Whis while Pan was being born.

That leaves post-Resurrection F. There should only be a 3-4 year window between RF and End of Z. Plenty of space to do stuff. But the big thing is, unless they intend to retcon the ending of Z, they can't go too crazy. They likely won't set it after End of Z purely because the press release specifies "After Buu" rather than "After the End of the Manga".
Old 2015-04-28, 13:03   Link #34
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
Wasn't it because of the fan that he couldn't remove Goku when he wanted to?
That's just a fan rumor. The only official word we've got on why the focus shifted from Goku to Gohan and then back to Goku, is that Toriyama felt that Gohan "wasn't suited for the main character role". Oh sure, it could have been due to fan backlash, but it's just as likely that it was just a result of Toriyama's typically haphazard writing-style. "Okay, I'll have Goku die and make Gohan the main character! *Later* ...You know, this isn't really working, I think I'll bring Goku back."
Old 2015-04-28, 13:05   Link #35
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

I just hope the supporting cast gets a good power-up. It's obvious that Goku and Vegeta will take out most of the big enemies, but I'd really like to see Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, Gohan and Roshi (lol) take out some people that actually aren't fodder.
Old 2015-04-28, 13:25   Link #36
Guy Incognito
Odd Gentlemen

Come on the return of the Ginyu force.

- Guy Incognito 2014
Old 2015-04-28, 13:28   Link #37
Chichiryuushintei

I'm going to check it out, because, you know, childhood and shit.

I just hope it follows the formula of the first DB series, just fun stuff for the sake of fun, less ridiculous ways to bring up a stronger villain than the previous that was Z (after Frieza) and GT. It was cool back when I was a kid, but more of that would be quite boring now.
Old 2015-04-28, 13:29   Link #38
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey Pyro View Post
I just hope the supporting cast gets a good power-up. It's obvious that Goku and Vegeta will take out most of the big enemies, but I'd really like to see Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, Gohan and Roshi (lol) take out some people that actually aren't fodder.
Judging by what we've seen from the latest films, that appears to be wishful thinking.
Old 2015-04-28, 13:29   Link #39
marvelB

I have.... mixed feelings about this. A new series sounds fun and all, but it just leaves so many questions.... will it "replace" GT continuity-wise? Will the events from the two recent movies become relevant to this series? And what about other stuff like Vegeta's brother?

....Actually, screw it. They should just animate Neko Majin Z and call it a day, lol.
Old 2015-04-28, 13:36   Link #40
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'm curious where this will take place in the timeline, though. Can't really do it before Battle of Gods because there'd be almost no tension. There's less than 14 months between BoG and Resurrection F, and as far as we know the only things that happened were characters getting slightly new outfits and Goku/Vegeta training with Whis while Pan was being born.

That leaves post-Resurrection F. There should only be a 3-4 year window between RF and End of Z. Plenty of space to do stuff. But the big thing is, unless they intend to retcon the ending of Z, they can't go too crazy. They likely won't set it after End of Z purely because the press release specifies "After Buu" rather than "After the End of the Manga".
I'm curious about this too, or, more specifically, a little worried. I'm not sure I agree with the decision to put it before the End of Z story arc with Uub. Especially if we keep facing more powerful villains, Uub himself showing up 10 years later kinda amounts to "oh yeah, we fought that guy a while back and you're his reincarnation, too bad we've surpassed him big time by now"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey Pyro View Post
This is my biggest hope for the series, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. It would be damn awesome to have at LEAST Piccolo and Tien be semi-relevant. Gohan I don't even consider in that category of irrelevant, but I suppose even he has been drifting into it with the movies (haven't seen the Freiza one yet, so idk).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
If you're tired of DBZ... don't watch it? It's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to watch.

That said, I'm approaching the series with cautious optimism. If Toriyama can recapture the storytelling he had up to the end of the Cell Games, then great. If it's as blech as the Buu Saga, then screw it.
I'd be fine with Buu saga quality, honestly, but Cell Saga is obviously the crème de la crème of the Dragonball series (unless you prefer early Dragonball comedy). What I don't want is something like a giant Battle of the Gods type series where Toriyama tries to do some in between version of DBZ and early Dragonball, not really very serious villains or tension, with goofy comedy and yet the fate of the world is at stake. I kinda wanna find Toriyama and just tell him in person "Sorry man, those highly discordant approaches to plot don't really jive together too well..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Shinigami View Post
DBZ was my entire world in like, 2000-2002, but I eventually grew out of it. Still, the little kid in me that was in love with DBZ can't help being curious. The movies were whatever--I've never taken them serious regardless of the anime--but an actual series? That's huge, and I'm excited.

So yes, all you people saying "it should die", I'm going to be a part of the problem.
I'm not really too clear on these "it should die" people, personally. If they are fans of the series that think it ended on a good note, fine, but the impression I get is more along the lines of: "oh, DBZ, that's sooooo immature and early 90's style anime! Look how much more advanced we are now!" Like... really? Today's anime market is utterly dominated by braindead light novel adaptions. DBZ might not be the smartest, or most cerebral, or most sophisticated show out there, but you'd have to be downright delusional to think it has no place in the anime market. The announcement of a new series has already gone uber viral.

Not to mention, if I'm gonna choose between mindless forms of entertainment, I'm choosing the muscular guys that fight monsters and can blow up planets any day over the girls in the band club or whatever. No disrespect to those fans, it's totally subjective, but yeah... There's probably more people like me out there than there are of that other crowd, even if the modern anime fandom tricks people into thinking otherwise.
Closed Thread