AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament SS Rating
Perfect 10 13 38.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 14.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 23.53%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 14.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.94%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-09-12, 10:29   Link #21
dazo
english for dummies 2 ed.

Quote:
Yes I think we would get Egyptian mythology magicians this time, and I LIKE that (I thought we would see Greek too and I would've preferred if it was Greek, but Egyptian myth is also great xD )
the problem with the Greek gods is that they are very common(a lot of author use them in Ln/novel/movies)...but of course, kamachi can use them in a new and interesting way..
...titans....titanomachy *...erebus...drool*

in any case, the egyptian mythology is a little less common

Quote:
Does anyone think that Kamachi probably thought about this from the start and named Sphinx with a name related to Egyptian myths because he planned to introduce them since writing the first volumes of OT?
well.. Sphinx is a unusual name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
So... with all the animal heads in Egyptian mythology, do you think Kamachi is going to be sneaking in jackal girls and such?
...i want to see anubis and set.
..but idk if i want them as girls....anubis is a psychopomp..he deserve something good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I remember on history channel something like later they started worshipping the sun god as an 'Almighty' god.
you are talking about Akhenaton "brilliant idea" aten or amun-ra?

..yeah..well..the end wasn't pretty.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpIDa View Post

Noooo. I would be angry if Kamachi did that. The jackal god is Anubis. And he is my favorite among Egyptian gods. I don't want him to be turned to a joke... And i won't accept any other gender for HIM. Anubis is male for me. I would be angry if he becomes a female goddess (like how Odin became a female in Toaru). I think the priest who is following Anubis path in Toaru would have to be male
(I mean no offence btw, just expressing my opinion. Sorry if I went too far )
this.
..well...i cant fight against othinus
Old 2014-09-12, 10:38   Link #22
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
I think that was the 18th Dinasty when they fused together Amun (god of wind) and Ra (god of the sun) into Amun-Ra, making him king of the gods and the national deity of the entire kingdom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazo View Post
you are talking about Akhenaton "brilliant idea" aten or amun-ra?

..yeah..well..the end wasn't pretty.......
Amun-Ra, that's the one.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 10:39   Link #23
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
the problem with the Greek gods is that they are very common(a lot of author use them in Ln/novel/movies)...but of course, kamachi can use them in a new and interesting way..
...titans....titanomachy *...erebus...drool*

in any case, the egyptian mythology is a little less common
Yes you're right xD But I would have really loved to see Appolo, Artemis, Hermes and Athena (my favorites) and the other Greek gods in Toaru

Quote:
...i want to see anubis and set.
..but idk if i want them as girls....anubis is a psychopomp..he deserve something good.
I would go crazy with excitement if we get to see Anubis xD And seeing Set would be good too. I'm curious to see in what way Kamachi might involve him in the story.
But they MUST be males, both of them
I would love to see Horus, Isis, Osiris and Ra too *_*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpIDA
Anubis is male for me. I would be angry if he becomes a female goddess. (like how Odin became a female in Toaru).
this.
..well...i cant fight against othinus
What about it? You agree with that, right? xD
Old 2014-09-12, 10:46   Link #24
R.LocK
My turn

Actually, Kamachi didn't break much making Othinus a hot girl with Odin being a shaman and giving up some male's duties for women's... It's really hard to find another case where the author can legitimately gender-bender someone.

Last edited by R.LocK; 2014-09-12 at 10:52. Reason: How could I forget?
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 10:49   Link #25
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
Actually, Kamachi didn't break much making Othinus a girl with Odin being a shaman and giving up some male's duties for women's... It's really hard to find another case where the author can legitimately gender-bender someone.
Yes, this makes sense. I forgot about that part concerning Odin. I guess you're right then xD
Old 2014-09-12, 13:19   Link #26
Wandering Soul

Index really did get her time in the spotlight. It was nice how she decided to buy Touma a gift with her money. It was also pretty sweet that she helped Bastet after beating her by using a psychological trick on her.
Old 2014-09-13, 11:30   Link #27
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

1. So Leep likely observed Touma in Denmark. (And one of my possible theories of said cat was influence from Bastet, so YEAH!)

2. Kamachi made this amazing like usual with the antagonist suddenly becoming very sympathetic to the reader.

3. Index is way more OP than I thought she was. Or at least I forgot how OP she was, and she is actually really like Touma in the best possible way that she doesn't brag about the insane things that she manages to do because she doesn't really care.

4. Egyptian Priests and Magicians are always very welcome, and Leep must have been very old?

5. Golden Bough is a Grimoire, huh?

6. Index not only has a perfect memory, but also the ability to combine all of her memory fragments into complete episodic memories. That's amazing, and a really cool ability for a character. She totally could become a Magic God eventually. Her personality/circumstances feel really familiar to me for some reason.

7. I like how Index is only OP when she is either punishing Touma, protecting herself, or going after food. That was probably my favorite comedic part in this.

8. Index is so cute when she offers to give money to Mikoto and Kuroko, and Kuroko starts giving Mikoto that edgy look. That was hilarious. I often forget that Index is actually really immature except when she is in some sort of combat mode.

9. Also, the book of the dead made me happy. So far, I have fond memories of any mentions of the book of the dead.

10. We got some insight into what Kamachi's section of Between the Lines actually means. It is the message that is hidden in the work, but that is the depth of it that can't actually be seen unless you read into it deeply. That's an excellent cool idea when I think about it!

11. She still calls Misaka "Short Hair" :P

12. Poor Tsuchimikado...

13. That subtle acknowledgment of places selling things early.

14. Part 1 Index talking about Touma to Mikoto reminds me of Rurumo from MajiMoji Rurumo in one of the episodes.

15. She's still friends with Arisa. That's nice to hear.

16. Most Powerful "Gah!" I've ever seenheardread.

17. We got another Endymion reference, pointing that it will certainly be useful eventually. This is in addition to #15.

18. Sphinx was named as such... a while ago... this makes me believe that Kamachi was also planning this...

Basically, after reading this it made me realize that Kamachi has totally still got this. He totally knows what he is doing, and... I always still wonder how he manages to write such information packed stories even when they're so... so... short! It's just incredible... They're enjoyable, informative, and... short! HOW!!!!!

Edit:

19. Nice picture of Leep from Haimura. That looks pretty.

20. Nice picture of Index. I love this side of her. It makes me appreciate what Touma sometimes sees in her.

Last edited by dniv; 2014-09-13 at 12:04.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 11:40   Link #28
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverexorcist View Post
It's going to be a monster girl extravaganza. That 'beast girl heroine' from NT2 needs her chance to show up again.
...and nobody still has any idea who or what she is...perhaps she is another priestess of Sekhmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
HHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Easily the most positive light shed on Index in a very long time. Got to see her kind side, her funny and her rare cool side. And with an unexpected ending to boot in more ways than one (I was expecting the steam oven to blow up in Touma's face ) Also, pretty good depiction of The Book of the Dead. At first I thought "Index doesn't have the most important egyptian grimoire in her head already!? The hell, Laura!?" but then the different editions part and I went "Oh, right, it's custom made". At last, a grimoire I actually know something about.

And of course, another reminder that Endymion is canon
Thank you, middle school history classes for teaching me this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
Index really did get her time in the spotlight. It was nice how she decided to buy Touma a gift with her money. It was also pretty sweet that she helped Bastet after beating her by using a psychological trick on her.

This SS pretty much demonstrates why I want more Index screen time. It's this kind of thing that shows Index at her best while exemplifying why I love the relationship between Index and Touma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
1. So Leep likely observed Touma in Denmark. (And one of my possible theories of said cat was influence from Bastet, so YEAH!)
Huh? Likely? How do you know this?
Old 2014-09-13, 12:08   Link #29
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
Huh? Likely? How do you know this?
Well. Let's see. We have a black cat in the snow. We have this happening before NT 10. We have Kamachi releasing this SS shortly after NT 10 and planning this event likely around the same time. It makes it seem like the connection has to have been intended, because I don't see a reason he would have put in a black cat into the work otherwise.

There is also the connection with Egyptian Mythology, which makes it more plausible.

The other reason I believe it is likely is that she seems capable of impressive stealth, and can possibly control animals from afar which would lead credibility to the idea that she could have possessed said cat in NT 10. Other than that, we have no other reason why that blurb would have been included, and given that this was expounded on like I said previously right after NT 10, it just seems like a natural conclusion to draw. (by adding in extra information outside of the text about how Kamachi comes up with his plots or ideas. )
Old 2014-09-13, 12:13   Link #30
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
1. So leep likely observed touma in denmark. (and one of my possible theories of said cat was influence from bastet, so yeah!)
>.>

Quote:
5. Golden bough is a grimoire, huh?
<.<
>.>
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 12:28   Link #31
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
>.>

<.<
>.>
Lol. I just read the book today. I didn't look at previous posts so I wouldn't be biased. Great minds think alike?
Old 2014-09-13, 12:57   Link #32
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
Good theory. I guess this makes sense and I can see Kamachi doing it on purpose

Quote:
2. Kamachi made this amazing like usual with the antagonist suddenly becoming very sympathetic to the reader.
yeah, that part really was touching and made me sympathize with Bastet.

Quote:
3. Index is way more OP than I thought she was. Or at least I forgot how OP she was, and she is actually really like Touma in the best possible way that she doesn't brag about the insane things that she manages to do because she doesn't really care.
6. Index not only has a perfect memory, but also the ability to combine all of her memory fragments into complete episodic memories. That's amazing, and a really cool ability for a character. She totally could become a Magic God eventually. Her personality/circumstances feel really familiar to me for some reason.
Same here. I really underestimated her myself. I was surprised (in a good way) to discover she can be really smart and a good tactician. I liked how she confused Bastet and made her loose control of her own powers xD I would love too see Index reach at one point of the story a degree of power similar to a magic god.

Quote:
4. Egyptian Priests and Magicians are always very welcome, and Leep must have been very old?
Why must she be old?

Quote:
8. Index is so cute when she offers to give money to Mikoto and Kuroko, and Kuroko starts giving Mikoto that edgy look. That was hilarious. I often forget that Index is actually really immature except when she is in some sort of combat mode.
That part in the LN was really funny to read x'D

Quote:
15. She's still friends with Arisa. That's nice to hear.
I thought it was meant by that only the past time they spent together during the Endmion no Kiseki movie (because they became friends at that time) And not that they met again after that.

Quote:
18. Sphinx was named as such... a while ago... this makes me believe that Kamachi was also planning this...
Basically, after reading this it made me realize that Kamachi has totally still got this. He totally knows what he is doing, and... I always still wonder how he manages to write such information packed stories even when they're so... so... short! It's just incredible... They're enjoyable, informative, and... short! HOW!!!!!
Right? That's what I have thought myself too xD I can really see Kamachi planning it beforehand since the very beginning. Because he is KAMACHI-SENSEI
Old 2014-09-13, 14:49   Link #33
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpIDa View Post
Good theory. I guess this makes sense and I can see Kamachi doing it on purpose

yeah, that part really was touching and made me sympathize with Bastet.

Same here. I really underestimated her myself. I was surprised (in a good way) to discover she can be really smart and a good tactician. I liked how she confused Bastet and made her loose control of her own powers xD I would love too see Index reach at one point of the story a degree of power similar to a magic god.

Why must she be old?

That part in the LN was really funny to read x'D

I thought it was meant by that only the past time they spent together during the Endmion no Kiseki movie (because they became friends at that time) And not that they met again after that.

Right? That's what I have thought myself too xD I can really see Kamachi planning it beforehand since the very beginning. Because he is KAMACHI-SENSEI
I didn't draw the connection that the priest was Bastet until you pointed it out. I just thought that she could invoke her powers.

I said she was old because Sekhmet is an Egyptian God which implies that Bastet still living means that she has been living since Egypt was a dominant empire which is about 2000 + years.

I wasn't sure about what was being implied concerning Arisa. I meant that she still possibly considers Shoutara as Arisa? After all, Shoutara may come to visit from time to time?

And the implication that Index just straight-up owned an actual "Magic God" is pretty impressive. Though I guess she isn't like a top-level Magic God, but more of a secondary one.
Old 2014-09-13, 15:03   Link #34
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
I didn't draw the connection that the priest was Bastet until you pointed it out. I just thought that she could invoke her powers.

I said she was old because Sekhmet is an Egyptian God which implies that Bastet still living means that she has been living since Egypt was a dominant empire which is about 2000 + years.

I wasn't sure about what was being implied concerning Arisa. I meant that she still possibly considers Shoutara as Arisa? After all, Shoutara may come to visit from time to time?

And the implication that Index just straight-up owned an actual "Magic God" is pretty impressive. Though I guess she isn't like a top-level Magic God, but more of a secondary one.
Ah I understand what you meant now

And I don't think the Priestess of Bastet is a Magic God. I think, like how in old GREMLIN there are normal magicians who each follows a certain Norse god's path, and only Othinus among them is a Magic God, it will be nearly the same with Egyptian Mythology this time. Maybe the difference is that there are more Magic Gods (any of the zombie girl, the chimera or the Hight Priest mummy may be an Egyptian Magic God + Nephtys) and the other difference is that the magicians this times seem to be priests.

Edit:
Also, now that I think about it, it seems we have Chinese mythology from the Epilogue of NT10 too, as Niang-Niang is a Chinese goddess.
I guess the zombie girl & the chimera are from other myths then. So that makes it 2 Magic Gods for the Egyptian side(?) Nephtis & the Hight Priest mummy (mummy makes anyone think of ancient Egypt, no?)

Last edited by Hiromin; 2014-09-13 at 15:13.
Hiromin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 15:19   Link #35
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

What makes me curious here though I suppose is that Egyptian Magic tends to rely on loud high-pitched noises... and Touma's IB does as well... I may just be looking at a repeated coincidence... but... it seems... like there may be a connection here somewhere...

It could explain why Index heard louder sounds than she would have normally, because when I read the text, every noise was apparently much louder to her than it normally would have been. She also mentioned how she noticed all of these runes floating about every few fragments of a second or so during these incidents... so I'm wondering if there is a connection between these ideas. The idea of her body creaking to make a loud sound... though is a bit... more... skepticism inducing... but it is an interesting pattern nonetheless since people think IT has to do with Egypt.

I also thought before that there could be more than one Magic God per religion. We just thought otherwise because we didn't know about the higher-up magic gods before when we read NT 8. I feel like Ollerus was also a Magic God, but got usurped from his position as the true Magic God of his religion when he lost to Othinus, because they were both from the Norse Religion. I feel like there is more than one Magic God... but perhaps the concept of a Pure or Perfect Majin is only reserved for those beings who are at the top of the power scale? I wonder...
Old 2014-09-13, 15:55   Link #36
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
What makes me curious here though I suppose is that Egyptian Magic tends to rely on loud high-pitched noises... and Touma's IB does as well... I may just be looking at a repeated coincidence... but... it seems... like there may be a connection here somewhere...
It could explain why Index heard louder sounds than she would have normally, because when I read the text, every noise was apparently much louder to her than it normally would have been. She also mentioned how she noticed all of these runes floating about every few fragments of a second or so during these incidents... so I'm wondering if there is a connection between these ideas. The idea of her body creaking to make a loud sound... though is a bit... more... skepticism inducing... but it is an interesting pattern nonetheless since people think IT has to do with Egypt.
There is a connection. I personally think it's maybe something that has to do with Thelema. On the other hand, I think IB & IT are more ancient than Egyptian magic.

Quote:
I also thought before that there could be more than one Magic God per religion. We just thought otherwise because we didn't know about the higher-up magic gods before when we read NT 8. I feel like Ollerus was also a Magic God, but got usurped from his position as the true Magic God of his religion when he lost to Othinus, because they were both from the Norse Religion. I feel like there is more than one Magic God... but perhaps the concept of a Pure or Perfect Majin is only reserved for those beings who are at the top of the power scale? I wonder...
It is a possibility. But I don't completely agree though. I don't think Ollerus was a Magic God then was usurped from his position. I think, like how the LN presented it, he was supposed to become a Magic God too. In the LN, we first were told that both Ollerus and Othinus were the two possibilities for that one place and Othinus won it. But later we learn that Othinus has lived for centuries of years. This leads me to think that Othinus got her chance many years ago when she was just a human, and so she became a Magic God. And this time, and after Othinus lost (part of) her powers, it was Ollerus's chance, but Othinus stole it from him.
I think it's maybe the same with the Egyptian side, though this time we have two (or more) Egyptian Magic Gods, meaning the two of them succeeded and got their respective chances. But I don't agree that there can only be one Pure/Perfect Majin. because I personally think Othinus wasn't even a Perfect Majin in the first place as she couldn't even find/influence the dimension where the other Perfect Majins were hiding (& those other Majins called her a failure too). So the number of True/Perfect Majins in each religion is not 1, it's not constant, it just depends on the capabilities of the Magic Gods (before they reach the Perfect state) themselves and whether they are able to achieve that state or not. What proves this is that there are at least 2 True Majins in the Egyptian side: Nephtis & the highest mummy priest (if he ever was confirmed to be from the Egyptian side) as both of them clearly could find the dimension of the Majins and they could move there easily.
Old 2014-09-13, 16:54   Link #37
Miraluka
Banned

I just want to know what happened to the God of Bible on this series. Is he dead also like the one from DxD after being a boss?

Or is he/she/it among humans like Ridovia hinted?

If there is no God to take down, Aleister can't do anything against him so he had to turn against the system and prepare a long ass plan .

EDIT:

If I were to bet on something I would say God is always watching/observing Touma

Last edited by Miraluka; 2014-09-13 at 17:16.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 17:28   Link #38
allfictions
Of Infinite Resignation

Quote:
This is easily disproven by the Aztec cabal Return of the Winged One and the numerous Norse cabals, whose religions technically ceased to be practiced centuries ago*, yet their practitioners aren't long lived. I'm...actually quite confused how you even reached this conclusion...?

*This is not exactly right: mythologies have been revived somewhat in modern times as neo pagan movements (Ásatrú/Odinism/Theodism/Vanatru/Forn Sed/etc for Norse, Kemeticism for Ancient Egypt). Kinda makes an alternate point for me though.
Quote:
What, just...what?
This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six! ... Eighteen! This is now eighteen! Take cover when the siren sounds! This is four! Four! ... Five! This is five! Ignore the siren! Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room! Eight! This is eight! ... Six, this is six. This is goddamn fucking six!
allfictions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 17:32   Link #39
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
I just want to know what happened to the God of Bible on this series. Is he dead also like the one from DxD after being a boss?

Or is he/she/it among humans like Ridovia hinted?

If there is no God to take down, Aleister can't do anything against him so he had to turn against the system and prepare a long ass plan .
It would be nice to get more information on the gods. They should exist since Othinus deduces Marian's Dainsleif is not strong enough to summon a pure god, just a mass of a religion's power shaped as a calamity.

She also mentions the diverse Phases that serve as homes for the gods. Are the gods just sitting on those Phases without a care for the world? Or do they have to be there since Othinus says the calamities are being restrained by them? Were they created when their respective Phases were created?

Also Othinus situation: a Magic God which inspired the myths of Odin. Is there a God Odin separate from Othinus?
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-13, 17:33   Link #40
Hiromin
A.K.A ElpIDa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
If I were to bet on something I would say God is always watching/observing Touma
I personally share this theory, that the Christianity's God is not dead (we didn't have any information about him dying in the novels at all) and he is still watching what is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
It would be nice to get more information on the gods. They should exist since Othinus deduces Marian's Dainsleif is not strong enought to summon a pure god, just a mass of a religion's power shaped as a calamity.

She also mentions the diverse Phases that serve as homes for the gods. Are the gods just sitting on those Phases without a care for the world? Or do they have to be there since Othinus says the calamities are being restrained by them? Were they created when their respective Phases were created?

Also Othinus situation: a Magic God which inspired the myths of Odin. Is there a God Odin separate from Othinus?
So the members of the real GREMLIN we saw in the epilogue of NT10 may be True Gods and not just Magic Gods like Othinus? Or maybe, they are True Magic Gods who are themselves the old Gods?
But I don't think Magic God Othinus and the Norse God Odin are a different person. When I read the LN, I got the impression she is the same God: Odin of ancient times.