AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-17, 20:20   Link #21
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
(and yeah, I tend to find the capture-the-flag/lasertag/arena type pvp obnoxious ... as much as Shadowbane annoyed me in other ways, the idea I could get ganked picking flowers was kind of exciting)
On this note I'd point out that Age of Wushu/Age of Wulin does add in a (to my knowledge) very rare sort of PvP: specifically, it's possible to queue up to play bodyguard to an instance boss.

As for Wildstar itself, I've been keeping an eye on it, and another out for a beta invitation.

In the interest of helping people form their own conclusions, I present for consideration this pair of TotalBiscuit videos:

Part 1

Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 21:29   Link #22
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

In case anyone isn't following their youtube channel or mmo news site, here's the newest video from Carbine studio introducing their Path system.

mmmm that female Mechari... i hope she's ingame.

Old 2013-05-24, 00:20   Link #23
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Yea, I'm going to end up having 3 alts. XD My main might be explorer or Soldier, main ult will be the builder or w.e.
Old 2013-05-31, 14:10   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Business model will be a form of hybrid model (however, far too non-specific to draw any conclusions)

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/r...rid-Model.html
Old 2013-05-31, 15:09   Link #25
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Ah, that leaves A Realm Reborn as the only true subscription-based option left for those who don't care for Warcraft...

Oh well. I'm rapidly starting to understand that MMOs are just not my thing anymore.
Old 2013-05-31, 17:29   Link #26
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Ah, that leaves A Realm Reborn as the only true subscription-based option left for those who don't care for Warcraft...

Oh well. I'm rapidly starting to understand that MMOs are just not my thing anymore.
Same. I'll probably diddle with Wildstar just for the novelty but unless I trip across a wonderous guild or the housing and roleplay are splendiferous ... meh.
Old 2013-05-31, 17:48   Link #27
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

You give up too easily. :P
Old 2013-05-31, 17:50   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(unless that was directed at Syn ) Haven't given up, just not going in starry eyed. If they emulate the eq2 model - I actually like that hybrid model a lot. Frankly, I'd still be playing eq2 if they had upgraded the graphics engine (and I hadn't explored the entire world several times over by now).
Old 2013-05-31, 18:45   Link #29
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:

There is still Eve Online, despite the PLEX system, it is still at it's core a subscription game.
Old 2013-05-31, 18:55   Link #30
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Housing Dungeons ... I'm sold. XD Going Settler first.
Old 2013-05-31, 19:06   Link #31
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

EVE just doesn't excite me very much and honestly I like the idea of indirect free-to-play using items that extend your subscription by a month, it's a very effective anti-RMT method.
Old 2013-06-21, 13:42   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Interesting uplink from the designers on game economics. I don't necessarily agree with their decisions but it does look like they've thought about the complexities of the economic flowchart for a decent game.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/ne...oney_sinks.php
Old 2013-06-21, 14:40   Link #33
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'm more concerned about the real-world economics of their "hybrid payment model."

They need to talk about that and soon. There are lots and lots of people who won't touch Wildstar with a ten-foot pole if it's not a subscription-based game (that'd be me), and there's others who won't play a game that isn't straight-up F2P. Payment model is a huge part of deciding what MMO you want to spend time on.

As for me, Yoshi-P already stood up on record to defend the subscription model. I'll be happy with A Realm Reborn at least.
Old 2013-06-21, 16:10   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I'm more concerned about the real-world economics of their "hybrid payment model."

They need to talk about that and soon. There are lots and lots of people who won't touch Wildstar with a ten-foot pole if it's not a subscription-based game (that'd be me), and there's others who won't play a game that isn't straight-up F2P. Payment model is a huge part of deciding what MMO you want to spend time on.

As for me, Yoshi-P already stood up on record to defend the subscription model. I'll be happy with A Realm Reborn at least.
The kind of hybrid model I'm most fond of is a "starter F2P" and then at some point you top out and are offered a subscription, like an extended demo. I'm also okay with a F2P that can be taken all the way but with restrictions like number of characters, inv. slots, etc. The cash shop should be purely cosmetic or at most have exp bonus potions or other blahblah.

I'm likely to play the game for short while no matter what just to explore but will I stay for seven plus years like I did EQ/EQ2? Yeah, the f2p vs. hybrid vs. sub will have a lot to do with that.
Old 2013-07-10, 14:32   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay, it looks like the housing component in Wildstar really did take some notes from EQ2 (repurposeable and placeable house items). That looks promising to an obsessive house builder like me.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/ne...eta_houses.php
Old 2013-07-12, 17:23   Link #36
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
"They put the sights on top for a reason."

New DevSpeak video detected in the wild:

Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 16:35   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The previously secret races of both factions, heh. Maybe I'll have a Dominion character after all.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-07-19, 17:46   Link #38
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

To play a rodent? really? XD kidding.. I may roll one of these franks. But I'll be maining a male Aurin.
Old 2013-07-20, 18:42   Link #39
DJ_Applejack
Space Pony

The colour scheme in the areas shown at the star of the video really remind me of WoW. Thats good though if they're going to copy WoW, I hope its just as fun or even more-so.

Really looking forward to playing this and doing warplots and player housing ^_^

Anyone know if they have a closed beta going yet and how to get invited?
DJ_Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 01:42   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Applejack View Post
The colour scheme in the areas shown at the star of the video really remind me of WoW. Thats good though if they're going to copy WoW, I hope its just as fun or even more-so.

Really looking forward to playing this and doing warplots and player housing ^_^

Anyone know if they have a closed beta going yet and how to get invited?
It does take a color-rich cartoonish approach to world and characters like WoW, though that isn't particularly something WoW innovated. They are similar but that's kind of like saying MS Windows stole from Apple when they both actually have the same father and mother (Xwindows and Xerox)

You can sign up for beta but so far they haven't called me at least (closed at present I think).
http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/beta/

Tags
mmorpg