AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of phone do you use?
Smartphone (iOS) 14 20.59%
Smartphone (Android) 27 39.71%
Smartphone (Other) 6 8.82%
Feature phone 6 8.82%
Non-feature dumbphone 13 19.12%
No mobile phone at all 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-12-24, 01:35   Link #21
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

I currently have an iPhone 4S, but I'll probably be switching to android in a year or two unless the iPhone 5 really dazzles. I only chose the iPhone this time around because most of the android phones that surpass it were generally pricier. But yeah, I really dislike the fact that the iPhone still doesn't have text reflow, something that android has had for years now. Not to mention the fact that it still doesn't support flash And it's still on 3G with a diminuitive 3.5" screen (though chances are these will get fixed with the iPhone 5). Android just gives me so much more room to customize my phone.
Old 2011-12-24, 01:45   Link #22
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Not to mention the fact that it still doesn't support flash
On that note, I read earlier this year that Adobe is stopping development of mobile Flash in favor of HTML5 (video). So, in the future, Flash might cease to be a differentiating factor for Android.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 01:51   Link #23
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
On that note, I read earlier this year that Adobe is stopping development of mobile Flash in favor of HTML5 (video). So, in the future, Flash might cease to be a differentiating factor for Android.
Being able to run it, even if its not being further developed, will always be a differentiating factor between the two competitors because everything old isn't suddenly going to turn into HTML5. You're still losing access to things that were made and still will be made in the future; people aren't just going to abandon flash. It has a large community and people are used to working with it.
Old 2011-12-24, 04:33   Link #24
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

i have my Motorola V3 which i used for the past 4 years and finally took the plunge and got a Samsung Galaxy s2 and it is amazing.

before getting my Galaxy i thought all i need my phone to do is to make calls and texts but it is so much better. i still have my I-pod classic but my phone i can read books, play games and via the internet i can plan my day, traffic, underground, weather and i can search anything that comes to my mind in the middle of the day, insted of having to wait till i got home or got to a laptop.

i don't think i'm using the phone to its full capebility yet but it really is amazing.

now i'm looking for an app that is like Microsoft word or somrthing similar on my phone. anyone know of any. i'd like to be able to write on my phone.

Last edited by kayote; 2011-12-24 at 04:49.
kayote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 05:02   Link #25
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Europa which is quite an upgrade from the shitty little phone I had for the past 6 years. It's actually a very good Android phone and it only cost me £50.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 09:55   Link #26
Skane
Anime Snark

I got the Samsung Galaxy Ace for free. So why the heck not. Quite a funny story behind it actually...

Cheers.
Old 2011-12-24, 11:15   Link #27
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Galaxy S2 owner here.

to be honest i kinda disappoint. they are not really "fast" as they advertise

probably ICS update later will help

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 11:16   Link #28
Fahd
* >/dev/null

I had a Sony Ericsson T610 from early 2007 to early 2010, because at the time the iPhone didn't exist, and smart phones were kinda big and brick-like, and expensive. When my contract expired in 2009 I decided to wait around for a bit to see how Android would develop and whether or not I'd like the look of Windows Phone 7 (the iPhone carrier plans were too expensive for me at the time).

In February 2010 Microsoft showed off Windows Phone 7 at Mobile World Congress but I wasn't too fond of the styling. About the same time HTC showed off the Desire, which I liked the look of, and Android seemed to become more mature so I jumped aboard. It helped a lot that I was able to get a (2 year) carrier plan at the same monthly price as my T610, without having to shell out too much for the phone.

I think I'll probably hang on to the Desire for a few months after the contract runs out (next May I think), as I'm not too inclined to spend money on phones unless they provide a big step up from what I already have. I'll see what next summer brings though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Quite a funny story behind it actually...
You can't say that and expect someone not to ask. So... out with it!

Last edited by Fahd; 2011-12-24 at 18:38. Reason: Grammar fail(ure).
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 15:04   Link #29
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Well, I use both. I have a Sony Ericsson W995 for calling and texting and a SGS2 for mobile internet. And, at least in my surroundings I get quite the stares for using 2 phones
Old 2011-12-24, 15:35   Link #30
konart

Still using my Nokia 5310. Not planning to switch to smartphones untill they can work at least 3-5 days without recharging.
Old 2011-12-24, 19:32   Link #31
Alchemist007
*Author

I have a feature phone. Smartphones are indeed everywhere, they just cost an arm and a leg to pay the monthly 'data' charge. Basically useless when I'm on the computer all the time anyways. If I'm out, I try to enjoy the outside world.
Old 2011-12-24, 19:38   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My android is a PDA/comp, communications device, and oh yeah it does phone calls. Anyone remember PDAs, beepers? All rolled into one now.
Old 2011-12-24, 21:41   Link #33
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I have a Blackberry Tour but it's getting a little worn out. I should be available for an upgrade by Spring, so if I have a little extra cash I'm going to look into the new iPhone/droids/etc. Blackberry is nice but I can see why they're getting beat out by the competition.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 06:16   Link #34
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My android is a PDA/comp, communications device, and oh yeah it does phone calls. Anyone remember PDAs, beepers? All rolled into one now.
what is your phone?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 08:10   Link #35
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
what is your phone?
Isn't it obvious? MIB's got one of those classified prototypes from the CIA/NSA that can act as a targeting controller for Satellite Moe Cannon strikes.

Joking. My bet is either HTC or Motorola.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 08:16   Link #36
sa547
*Author

Currently sticking around with a slightly-beat-up Sony K750i with a borked 2MP camera (does this count as a feature?), which was at one time a very pricey yo-yo in 2006, and before that, most of my phones were non-feature Nokias (my first phone was my sister's old Nokia 8210 in 2002).

Personally, for my future purchase I'll want a phone that has very practical features, and furthermore, damn tough and is least likely a magnet for pickpockets.
Old 2011-12-25, 08:22   Link #37
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I've got a "dumbphone", but it's not that old.
It has some awesome features:
+ small, thin and light, because there is no giant screen
+ can be used to phone people and talk with them!
+ batteries need to be charged every 2 weeks or so, which I always forget, so I'm only phoneless twice every month
+ has a pretty useless camera with a flash led, that can be used as a super bright flashlight. By far the most useful feature a phone can have
+ has a timer, that tells me when my pizza is ready, so it does not turn to coal while I'm watching anime

- no internet browser
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 08:31   Link #38
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

HTC Desire user here. Saved my ass during internship more times than I can count especially when my laptop is in the quarters. Use it as a phone, mobile medical references, watching videos, mp3 player, desktop remote, internet, planner, basically everything I can get an app running on it. I haven't even rooted the damn thing.

I go to bed with it. Is that bad?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 08:36   Link #39
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
HTC Desire user here. Saved my ass during internship more times than I can count especially when my laptop is in the quarters. Use it as a phone, mobile medical references, watching videos, mp3 player, desktop remote, internet, planner, basically everything I can get an app running on it. I haven't even rooted the damn thing.

I go to bed with it. Is that bad?
What do you name her? I call mine Marisa because she is hardworking and draws the attention of any girl I meet.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-25, 09:42   Link #40
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I call her... uh... Desire?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote