AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-04-12, 08:29   Link #21
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Yeah Netflix doesn't really simulcast, but if nothing else they usually consider each cour a separate season, so "season 1" should go up during summer at some point. I think a lot of it is that they aim for a much more casual audience.

As far as the future setting the impression I got was that music was outsourced to AI's (Sharon Apple?) along with driving and bartending so Carole and Tuesday get to save music or something. Actually on that note I don't know how I feel about the narration.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 10:44   Link #22
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
As for the episode I liked it, but it didn't strike me as anything truly exceptional by Watanabe's high standards. Two issues for me - the sci-fi elements seemed very tacked-on and arbitrary, and the music was kind of lame. It's only the first ep and it's two cours, but obviously a series about music is going to need the music to be good to work.
I think the music was kind of lame on purpose. These two are just starting out and getting to know each other, they're not going to sound great from the get-go. Even then you can sense they have talent. It's pretty well done.
Old 2019-04-12, 20:54   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's what I hope is the case, but I think back to stuff like Beck and Sakamichi no Apollon, where the music was immediately arresting right out of the gate. Part of it may be a matter of musical genre, as the sort of stuff these two seem to be on about isn't what I find especially interesting, but it's early days yet.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 06:00   Link #24
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

In all honesty, Aria had better singing and music, let alone a better version of Mars. Aside from Kids on the Slope, Watanabe has really confused me in the last decade.
Old 2019-04-13, 15:58   Link #25
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I liked the episode but it didn't blow me away or anything, though it is still early days. I feel like there's a slight danger in that the music they produce will be a bit too "4gurlz" for me to connect with personally so I might have to shift my expectations accordingly. I didn't have this problem with Kids On The Slope but it does make me wonder if that show had any significant following among the female demographic (for the right reasons).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 16:39   Link #26
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I didn't have this problem with Kids On The Slope but it does make me wonder if that show had any significant following among the female demographic (for the right reasons).
Apollon/on the Slope was an adaptation of a josei manga. I'm guessing C&T is aiming a bit younger.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 21:40   Link #27
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
As far as I can recall, they only did it once with Violet Evergarden. I guess it wasn't a success? It makes little sense for this show not to be simulcasted, given that it's obviously aimed at a western audience. Unless Netflix secretly wants to revive fansubbing

I really enjoyed the first episode. No worries about this getting rushed since it's two cour. This ought to be good.
Maybe Netflix's US customers like to binge watch titles so simulcasting it would not make any of their viewers happy.
Old 2019-04-14, 21:21   Link #28
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Maybe Netflix's US customers like to binge watch titles so simulcasting it would not make any of their viewers happy.
That's their usual rationale. They've trained Americans to binge watch so they release their shows in cours.

It does look like human singers save music from AI. I'm not sure that's enough to carry 24 episodes though. Is the opening scene the culmination of their story? Will Angela be an antagonist, or join Carole and Tuesday in the restoration of humans?

ANN lists "Mocky" as the composer for this show, but there's no one linked to that name. A pseudonym, or a composer with no prior (anime) credits? The seems pretty unlikely in a Watanabe show.

Also the seiyuu aren't singing according to that page. Carole, Tuesday, and Angela all have separate entries for "vocals."

I, too, thought the music was pretty bland, but I'm willing to write it off to their rookie status.

I thought the show had a nice look myself. I just have one question. How are they going to eat?

Oh, and it doesn't have Watanabe's trademark two-guys-and-a-girl structure. Will it become two-girls-and-a-guy?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2019-04-14 at 21:35.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-14, 21:39   Link #29
Alchemist007
*Author

Holds promise, will be watching this one.
Old 2019-04-14, 21:55   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

ANN lists "Mocky" as the composer for this show, but there's no one linked to that name. A pseudonym, or a composer with no prior (anime) credits? The seems pretty unlikely in a Watanabe show.

Also the seiyuu aren't singing according to that page. Carole, Tuesday, and Angela all have separate entries for "vocals."
Mocky is a real person. He's Canadian - more known as a composer but also a performer.

It was pretty clear to me that the seiyuu weren't singing, because not only did the vocalists not sound anything like their spoken counterparts, they definitely sounded like native English speakers to me.
Old 2019-04-15, 00:57   Link #31
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It was pretty clear to me that the seiyuu weren't singing, because not only did the vocalists not sound anything like their spoken counterparts, they definitely sounded like native English speakers to me.
Previous press releases stated there were people hired specifically for the singing that were Western people.
Old 2019-04-15, 02:05   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

They're Canadian too, aren't they?
Old 2019-04-17, 22:14   Link #33
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

This anime teaches you that even if you suck at singing, you can still win the contest by getting someone else to sing for you.
Just make sure they don't realize you are just mouthing the song.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 02:41   Link #34
eceso

came in blind watching this and honestly fell in love

it's amazing and obviously not identical but I get Nana vibes from this show so far , sucks that Netflix got this show
eceso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 16:35   Link #35
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I didn't actually go back and compare, but the duo's performance in this episode sounded a lot better to me. It's mainly Tuesday's singing that impresses me though. The music itself isn't really special.

Things seem to be progressing faster than I expected. There are some annoying anime tropes like Tuesday being ridiculously bad at cleaning, but nothing that bothers me.

Advertisement of the week was for Timberland (the shoes brand, not the singer).
Old 2019-04-18, 17:14   Link #36
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I wonder if there's going to be any conflict between Carole and Tuesday. They seemed to hit it off so well and they've been in sync ever since. Rather different from Kids on a Slope where there was frequently friction between the main duo.

I'm still not fully into it just yet but I do like the show regardless. I'm just waiting for things to start getting more spicy. Right now it's all a bit too sweet.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 17:47   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Right now I’m seeing the Hallmark version of a Watanabe series, complete with product placement. There’s still time to change but for the moment the tone is definitely off for me.
Old 2019-04-18, 17:49   Link #38
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
So far so good with this duo. I guess they want to keep things progressing smoothly for the time being. Which is fine since we're getting the ball rolling. A nice little guerilla live got them on the map. Obviously still a road to go down, but things are progressing well. Of course the more attention they get the more trouble since it will be pretty easy for Tuesday's family to track her down. With her mother aiming for the political top that should ramp up the pressure.
Old 2019-04-18, 18:03   Link #39
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I wonder if there's going to be any conflict between Carole and Tuesday. They seemed to hit it off so well and they've been in sync ever since. Rather different from Kids on a Slope where there was frequently friction between the main duo.
I don't really get the feeling there's going to be a conflict between the two. They're both too nice. Carole didn't even get angry when she saw the mess Tuesday made. The drama will come from Tuesday and her family situation. Then Angela.

Although with two cour, anything is possible.
Old 2019-04-18, 18:24   Link #40
Kazu-kun

I really liked how Carole was distracting the guard so Tuesday could escape. Really nice little detail.

Tags
music, sci-fi