AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2004-01-27, 22:23   Link #21
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
well everyone said what I was going to say also they didn't explain Mai's story at all or Naiyukis they cut them out mostly. Saiyuri had a sad story too and a bit of Makoto's was left out.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 09:33   Link #22
frowndog
Poof... time warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth
Or just get over the general fact - Anime is fiction, not everything has to make sense :P
so true. but i guess you can't blame people for wanting realism. hey, kanon even set itself up like that for the first couple of eps. not until i saw the ghosts and stuff with mai did i understand that this anime was gonna be about supernatural stuff
frowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 21:14   Link #23
rayearth

Send a message via ICQ to rayearth
Just look at it this way - if everything had to make sense, then it'll be like watching a documentary :P

As for Leo's comment about them cutting the stories short, well, you can't fit everything in 13 episodes and some of their stories would have conflicting events, so if they really did include everything, it would:

1. make it confusing
2. make it look like the whole series is made up of several differerent series
3. make Yuuichi look like a playboy :P
rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 08:07   Link #24
bluemist
i am the mist

It maybe just hype, but I'm now thinking that Da Capo had better presentation than Kanon.

Because Da Capo clearly established itself as "magical", the producers clearly know what to do with it, and the audience clearly knows what to expect.

But as for Kanon (in my opinion), lacks self-direction. They try to be as realistic as possible even though there are supernatural elements. The real and fake do not mesh as well in Kanon than in Da Capo, I think.
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 18:29   Link #25
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Quote:
Just look at it this way - if everything had to make sense, then it'll be like watching a documentary :P

As for Leo's comment about them cutting the stories short, well, you can't fit everything in 13 episodes and some of their stories would have conflicting events, so if they really did include everything, it would:

1. make it confusing
2. make it look like the whole series is made up of several differerent series
3. make Yuuichi look like a playboy :P
Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-29, 18:30   Link #26
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
It maybe just hype, but I'm now thinking that Da Capo had better presentation than Kanon.

Because Da Capo clearly established itself as "magical", the producers clearly know what to do with it, and the audience clearly knows what to expect.

But as for Kanon (in my opinion), lacks self-direction. They try to be as realistic as possible even though there are supernatural elements. The real and fake do not mesh as well in Kanon than in Da Capo, I think.

Thats true on some parts but Kanon is a better game tho
Old 2004-01-29, 19:17   Link #27
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
Spoiler:
Oh, that's an interesting little bit of story they dropped. I think Mai's story should have been more detailed, at the time, I didn't know the anime was based on anything. Didn't know there were more details. Now I'm curious what's missing from Naiyuki's story.

Which one was Saiyori? I want to know if the girl that knew about Makoto has any kind of story. She shows up again in the special episode and obviously has some kind of relationship.

Last edited by TronDD; 2004-01-29 at 19:32.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 21:09   Link #28
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Oh, that's an interesting little bit of story they dropped. I think Mai's story should have been more detailed, at the time, I didn't know the anime was based on anything. Didn't know there were more details. Now I'm curious what's missing from Naiyuki's story.
The Anime was based on a game under the same name. Although it wouldn't be considered as a classic like Tokimeki Memorial or Sentimental Graffiti (at least not yet), it is considered as a legend that changed how bishoujo games worked.

Basically, the TV series was made with the idea that you've played the game or know about the game already, so they didn't have to explain everything since it's assumed knowledge. As for what was missing in Mai's background and Nayuki's stories...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Which one was Saiyori? I want to know if the girl that knew about Makoto has any kind of story. She shows up again in the special episode and obviously has some kind of relationship.
It's Sayuri, she's Mai's friend, the girl that Kuze (the student guide president who's always trying to find an excuse to expel Mai) is after. Makoto's friend? You mean Amano. She doesn't have a really big role in the game compared to Sayuri (who got her own story in the DC and PS2 version of the game), but she did have much larger roles in the Drama CDs. She's actually one of the most funny characters too, always referring to fate :P
Old 2004-01-30, 21:46   Link #29
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Here is a bit on Mai's past:
Spoiler:

And here is a bit they missed on Makoto ^-^
Spoiler:

and Saiyuri's

Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-31, 17:50   Link #30
TronDD
Team the box!

Good stuff.

I wish some of that was put into the anime. On the other hand, I cried enough at what was left in.

What are drama CDs? Any of this other Kanon mechandise in English?

So the game ends with
Spoiler:
Old 2004-01-31, 22:29   Link #31
rayearth

Drama CDs are radio drama shows on CD (some aren't played on radio though). Usually it's original/extra stories being played out by the original cast, most popular series have these. Kanon - being extremely popular - had over 15 Drama CDs made since the game was released.

No, none of the Kanon merchandise is in English.

The game ends with Nayuki/Ayu/Shiori/Makoto/Mai depending on how you play it.
Old 2004-02-01, 01:36   Link #32
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Drama CDs are radio drama shows on CD (some aren't played on radio though). Usually it's original/extra stories being played out by the original cast, most popular series have these. Kanon - being extremely popular - had over 15 Drama CDs made since the game was released.

No, none of the Kanon merchandise is in English.

The game ends with Nayuki/Ayu/Shiori/Makoto/Mai depending on how you play it.
Ok, that's what I figured with the game.

I didn't realise radio drama had any kind of popularity anywhere. That's cool. Need to learn Japanese...
Old 2004-02-01, 01:59   Link #33
rayearth

I guess it's kinda like voice actors. Voice talent is a very important component in Japan while in the western world the names in the credits roll usually don't even get read.
Old 2004-02-01, 03:51   Link #34
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
I guess it's kinda like voice actors. Voice talent is a very important component in Japan while in the western world the names in the credits roll usually don't even get read.
We also have several magazines dedicated to seiyuus as well...like, "Voice Newtype." (Basically, a sister magazine of "Newtype Magazine" that solely revolves around seiyuus)
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 16:23   Link #35
haniff_8883

Kanon = ?

I saw that anime last week, i think it's very touching and i really like how the story goes. But I can't still figure out what the meaning of the title 'kanon'. Can anybody tell me what the meaning of Kanon.I'd really appreciate that !

Last edited by xris; 2004-04-19 at 16:36. Reason: Merged with existing thread
haniff_8883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-19, 17:54   Link #36
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haniff_8883
I saw that anime last week, i think it's very touching and i really like how the story goes. But I can't still figure out what the meaning of the title 'kanon'. Can anybody tell me what the meaning of Kanon.I'd really appreciate that !
While rarely used as most people write Kanon in katakana, a special promo CD that came with the game has the following kanji for Kanon: 華音 which translates to "floral sound."

On the other hand, many also say the theme of the game was created to the great music of Pachelbel's "Kanon" hence the title stuck with it.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 00:29   Link #37
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
While rarely used as most people write Kanon in katakana, a special promo CD that came with the game has the following kanji for Kanon: 華音 which translates to "floral sound."

On the other hand, many also say the theme of the game was created to the great music of Pachelbel's "Kanon" hence the title stuck with it.
That's interesting to note. In Da Capo (the anime, I haven't played the game yet) they explained what the title had to do with the anime. I wonder if there's a similar explanation for Kanon.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 00:47   Link #38
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980

From everything2.com, a canon(kanon) is:

A musical passage in which the melody (or theme) is repeated by one or more voices at a different interval of pitch and/or time. It is the strictest form of counterpoint -- both the rhythm and content must be duplicated. Canons involve the concept of contrapuntal inversion -- two melodic themes playing simultaneously with either or both of the voices singing the bass part for the other.

Symbolically, this may mean that each of the girls contribute their version of the overall story... or... it's talking about the different incantations of Ayu

Though I do see a trend there with the music
Kanon - Pachelbel's Kanon (or simply any canon for taht matter)
Air - Air on the G String by Bach
Clannad - an Irish musical group
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 04:38   Link #39
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
From everything2.com, a canon(kanon) is:

A musical passage in which the melody (or theme) is repeated by one or more voices at a different interval of pitch and/or time. It is the strictest form of counterpoint -- both the rhythm and content must be duplicated. Canons involve the concept of contrapuntal inversion -- two melodic themes playing simultaneously with either or both of the voices singing the bass part for the other.

Symbolically, this may mean that each of the girls contribute their version of the overall story... or... it's talking about the different incantations of Ayu

Though I do see a trend there with the music
Kanon - Pachelbel's Kanon (or simply any canon for taht matter)
Air - Air on the G String by Bach
Clannad - an Irish musical group
Surprising, Air on the G String is like one of my favorite musical pieces...
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 08:30   Link #40
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think the story of Kanon the anime revolves around the idea that strong desires/emotions/dreams/nightmares can interfere with reality. I guess you can call it something like marble phantom or reality marble if you are familiar with the tsukihime mythos. Kanon is, after all, a fairy-tale. Just keep that in mind, and you'll be able to accept the supernatural part of it easier. Don't treat it as a realistic story, it's a fairy-tale romance story like Snow White or Cinderella.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen, toei