AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: Mahouka [LN/M] - Yotsuba Inheritance Arc (Volume 16) Rating
Perfect 10 67 68.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 11.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.24%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.04%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.02%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.04%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-04-01, 06:44   Link #21
Jiminy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueAlchemist View Post
Based on the preview, we can speculate;
1. Getting invitation letter
2. Miyuki having dilemma
3. (Possible school scene before the winter break)
4. Getting attacked on the way to Yotsuba's Main House
5. Maya telling Tatsuya about sibling's true relationship
6. Spring Celebration Meeting
I am hoping to see the design of Tatsuya's new CAD for Baryon Lance on the illustration.
If this really is the only thing that will happen I'll find the volume boring.

I guess Tatsuya has to expect some terrible slandering and eventually humiliations like having to wait in the employees room. I doubt Miyuki could just accept such a scenario.
Furthermore the story reaches a turning point. The relationship between Tatsuya and the Yotsubas has to change somehow for the better or the worse. In a way this situation reminds me of a pack of wolfs. Reordering the hierarchy definitely requires a demonstration of power, a demonstration of superiority. Just remember for the Yotsubas power means everything. The test held in the last arc isn't convincing enough yet. It may cause malice but it's probably the only way to overcome their arrogance and prejudices. Accepting the reality is not easy if it contradicts everything you believed in so far, if it contradicts the very root of your pride. Therefore I would not expect a smooth transition. Interestingly Maya postponed the decision about Tatsuya until the new years gathering (what a coincidence) so I'd say we might read some more about that.

And of course we might learn some things about the past.

Last edited by Jiminy; 2015-04-01 at 07:03.
Jiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-01, 12:32   Link #22
TrueAlchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
So there'll be only one volume?
Volume 8 was a turning point for Miyuki's character and her past, volume 16 will be very important for her character and her future, both one volume, it must be intentional.
If you go to the Dengeki Bungo's webpage for vol. 16, it does not have any <上> Ue (upper) and shita <下> (lower) just like amtro pointed out. So, I think, we can assume, it is one volume Arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy View Post
If this really is the only thing that will happen I'll find the volume boring.

I guess Tatsuya has to expect some terrible slandering and eventually humiliations like having to wait in the employees room. I doubt Miyuki could just accept such a scenario.
Furthermore the story reaches a turning point. The relationship between Tatsuya and the Yotsubas has to change somehow for the better or the worse. In a way this situation reminds me of a pack of wolfs. Reordering the hierarchy definitely requires a demonstration of power, a demonstration of superiority. Just remember for the Yotsubas power means everything. The test held in the last arc isn't convincing enough yet. It may cause malice but it's probably the only way to overcome their arrogance and prejudices. Accepting the reality is not easy if it contradicts everything you believed in so far, if it contradicts the very root of your pride. Therefore I would not expect a smooth transition. Interestingly Maya postponed the decision about Tatsuya until the new years gathering (what a coincidence) so I'd say we might read some more about that.
And of course we might learn some things about the past.
Power.... He is a strategic class magician even though he is odd one. And, his reputation as Maheshivara is big enough to make Kudou Retsu to use Tatsuya as the target to display abilities of Parasite Doll. Based on vol.15, it is confirmed that his mistreatment is due to his hidden background. The family distrust him because they have confidence that he will betray Yotsuba once he found out he nearly got killed when he was born. So, the distrust has been continue growing over the years. It built a huge wall between him and the rest of the family.

In vol. 15, there is a sign that Maya could simply invite Tatsuya back in by using his position as her nephew based on the conversation with Hayama. But, Maya is taking a hard way because she wants to stop ostracizing Tatsuya from the family. If she just make him as a part of the family with her own authority, it will not change anything with him in the family. So, she is using his abilities (not only magic, but his ability to handle missions) as an asset to make the family to look into him without prejudice.

I think, a lot of readers got influenced by Aoki's behaviors in the past volumes, but he is nobody. He just takes orders from Maya like a dog and does not really know any innerhouse politics within Yotsuba like Hayama. Personally, I also wish to know how the author would change Tatsuya's position in the family because in vol. 15, Hayama used utmost respectful way towards Tatsuya when he talked about Tatsuya during the conversation with Mitsugu. According to the translator, Hayama showed more respect towards Tatsuya than Mitsugu based on words that Hayama used when he talked about Tatsuya. It may be a form of foreshadowing for the conclusion of vol.16, or Hayama simply showed more respect towards Tatsuya because Tatsuya is a much more powerful magician than Mitsugu because in the conversation Hayama described the magician as a weapon. As a weapon, Tatsuya is the most superior weapon (Immortal walking WMD) than any other magicians in Mahouka.

Just like Kyoto Insurrection Arc or Steeplechase Arc, everything was about Tatsuya.
Yotsuba Inheritance Arc will also spin around Tatsuya and his true background. My wild guess is, we may see 1/3 of the volume talking about Tatsuya's hidden background. And, 1/3 of the volume will talk about the composition of Yotsuba family. Finally, we will read a long explanation about Baryon Lance. lol.

Last edited by TrueAlchemist; 2015-04-01 at 12:44.
TrueAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-01, 12:47   Link #23
tigerdave

Quote:
If you go to the Dengeki Bungo's webpage for vol. 16, it does not have any <上> Ue (upper) and shita <下> (lower) just like amtro pointed out. So, I think, we can assume, it is one volume Arc.

Power.... He is a strategic class magician even though he is odd one. And, his reputation as Maheshivara is big enough to make Kudou Retsu to use Tatsuya as the target to display abilities of Parasite Doll. Based on vol.15, it is confirmed that his mistreatment is due to his hidden background. The family distrust him because they have confidence that he will betray Yotsuba once he found out he nearly got killed when he was born. So, the distrust has been continue growing over the years. It built a huge wall between him and the rest of the family.

In vol. 15, there is a sign that Maya could simply invite Tatsuya back in by using his position as her nephew based on the conversation with Hayama. But, Maya is taking a hard way because she wants to stop ostracizing Tatsuya from the family. If she just make him as a part of the family with her own authority, it will not change anything with him in the family. So, she is using his abilities (not only magic, but his ability to handle missions) as an asset to make the family to look into him without prejudice.

I think, a lot of readers got influenced by Aoki's behaviors in the past volumes, but he is nobody. He just takes orders from Maya like a dog and does not really know any innerhouse politics within Yotsuba like Hayama. Personally, I also wish to know how the author would change Tatsuya's position in the family because in vol. 15, Hayama used utmost respectful way towards Tatsuya when he talked about Tatsuya during the conversation with Mitsugu. According to the translator, Hayama showed more respect towards Tatsuya than Mitsugu based on words that Hayama used when he talked about Tatsuya. It may be a form of foreshadowing for the conclusion of vol.16, or Hayama showed more respect towards Tatsuya because Tatsuya is a much more powerful magician than Mitsugu.

Just like Kyoto Insurrection Arc or Steeplechase Arc, everything was about Tatsuya.
Yotsuba Inheritance Arc will also spin around Tatsuya and his true background. My wild guess is, we may see 1/3 of the volume talking about Tatsuya's hidden background. And, 1/3 of the volume will talk about the composition of Yotsuba family. Finally, we will read a long explanation about Baryon Lance. lol.
Maybe this is a poor reflection of my character, but if Tatsuya gets reintegrated into the clan, I hope Aoki kneels at Tatsuya's feet and is then hit with mist dispersal. That guy just really irritates me. Mitsugu will get his eventually. I'm also looking forward to the demonstration of baryon lance.
tigerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-01, 13:20   Link #24
TrueAlchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdave View Post
Maybe this is a poor reflection of my character, but if Tatsuya gets reintegrated into the clan, I hope Aoki kneels at Tatsuya's feet and is then hit with mist dispersal. That guy just really irritates me. Mitsugu will get his eventually. I'm also looking forward to the demonstration of baryon lance.
Personally, I do not know why Miyuki did not freeze his mind at the FLT when Aoki shows up for the first time. The most ideal ending for him is to betray Yotsuba or do something stupid to Miyuki and gets killed by Tatsuya. For Mitsugu, I think, he will never change unless Tatsuya saves Fumiya or Ayako from near death injury or something extreme.

In vol.14~15, the author used several parallel relationships. I think, one of them are Karakuri Sword (flaming anti-demon blade) and Baryon Lance. In the vol. 14, the volume started with Tatsuya's hand getting burned from casting Baryon Lance, and in vol. 15 we can also see traditionalist magicians' hands getting burned to charcoal from casting Karakuri Sword. Both Tatsuya and traditionalist magicians did not fully master their magics. And, both magics are close range magic. Finally, both magics should be able to destroy any magical barrier. Karakuri Sword can destroy opponent's magic itself, and the Baryon Lance may be able to destroy or penetrate any form of physical or magical barrier, so both of them have many similarities. So, its visual impact may not be fancy similar to Karakuri Sword. I am really hoping its visual impact to be something similar to Enuma Elish (天地乖離す開闢の星 / エヌマ・エリシュ) from Fate/Stay Night because it may become Tatsuya's signature magic.

I am also speculating magic will be depending on its CAD design. If it is close range magic with special CAD, this CAD may be looking something similar to beam lance from many Gundam series or similar weapons from other Sunrise animations. If this is the case, it may have only hilt and hand protection that we can see from any lance. And, the rest of lance may be created from his magic. The ideal design should be similar to Ea (乖離剣 エア) from Fate/Stay Night. (Again, I am hoping it to be as cool as Enuma Elish) Or, if it continues to be guntype CAD, I am thinking it to be something similar to Isaac Clark sama's Plasma Cutter from Dead Space. Personally, I am hoping illustrator and the author to do some magic with this CAD even if they have to use little bit of existing ideas or designs from other animations or games.

Last edited by TrueAlchemist; 2015-04-01 at 14:12.
Old 2015-04-01, 13:38   Link #25
LKK

Quote:
I'm going to remove the various mentions of volume 17 from the title, etc. If it turns out to be a 2 volume arc after all, I can easily add the volume 17 back in.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-01, 13:45   Link #26
amtro
Distro

Quote:
Mitsugu hasn't done anything to Tatsuya, that we know of. Except being scared silly and I doubt being fearful of Tatsuya is reason enough for Mitsugu to warrant "getting his".
Also Aoki sees Tatsuya as someone below him as a servant of the family, if he was brought back into the family then the humiliation alone could serve as punishment.
amtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-01, 14:05   Link #27
tigerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
Mitsugu hasn't done anything to Tatsuya, that we know of. Except being scared silly and I doubt being fearful of Tatsuya is reason enough for Mitsugu to warrant "getting his".
Also Aoki sees Tatsuya as someone below him as a servant of the family, if he was brought back into the family then the humiliation alone could serve as punishment.
Didn't Hayama acknowledge Mitsugu tried to kill Tatsuya when Tatsuya was just a baby? Is that not enough?
Old 2015-04-01, 14:15   Link #28
TrueAlchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
I agree. He would be embarrassed for being ignorant. And, at the end, it would only prove, Aoki is nothing but a simple employee in the eye of Yotsuba because he was not exposed to vital information of the family like Hayama.
Quote:
Didn't Hayama acknowledge Mitsugu tried to kill Tatsuya when Tatsuya was just a baby? Is that not enough?
It was not specifically Mitsugu. He said, "Clan (family)" tried to kill him.
So, he may be worried about getting Nuked with the rest of the family.
Old 2015-04-01, 14:15   Link #29
Jiminy

Quote:

I think, a lot of readers got influenced by Aoki's behaviors in the past volumes, but he is nobody. He just takes orders from Maya like a dog and does not really know any innerhouse politics within Yotsuba like Hayama. Personally, I also wish to know how the author would change Tatsuya's position in the family because in vol. 15, Hayama used utmost respectful way towards Tatsuya when he talked about Tatsuya during the conversation with Mitsugu. According to the translator, Hayama showed more respect towards Tatsuya than Mitsugu based on words that Hayama used when he talked about Tatsuya. It may be a form of foreshadowing for the conclusion of vol.16, or Hayama simply showed more respect towards Tatsuya because Tatsuya is a much more powerful magician than Mitsugu because in the conversation Hayama described the magician as a weapon. As a weapon, Tatsuya is the most superior weapon (Immortal walking WMD) than any other magicians in Mahouka.

I can agree with most of your remarks, but ...

1) he's a strategic class mage ... so what? Most Yotsubas do not know about that. And those who do... Remember the meeting of the heads of the branch families. At least some seem to doubt his capability. Even knowing about all of his achievements they simply can't really accept it. Because of their mindset I believe some might come up with silly arguments to prove his inferiority. (It's not really magic thus it's not really usefull) Unfortunately people are stubborn sometimes when it comes to ideology. This goes on until one day it's too late.

2) Aoki may not be a good example but it is also very well possible that Hayama isn't one either. He might be one of few who treat Tatsuya respectfully enough (more than just some employee).

Maybe I'm biased but I think this gathering is destined to go sideways. Whatever, I'll just wait with speculating until we get something official.
Old 2015-04-01, 14:56   Link #30
tigerdave

Quote:

It was not specifically Mitsugu. He said, "Clan (family)" tried to kill him.
So, he may be worried about getting Nuked with the rest of the family.
Mitsugu was clearly involved. I think that's enough to justify revenge.
Old 2015-04-01, 16:17   Link #31
TrueAlchemist

@Jiminy

This is the thing. If he does not gain the trust and invite into the family, the story cannot go on and pick up many other things such as Hliðskjálf (フリズスキャルヴ). During Visitor Arc, Hayama suggested Maya to get help from Tatsuya with Hliðskjálf, but Maya objected the suggestion because of distrust towards Tatsuya. Furthermore, Yotsuba vs. Saegusa may start soon in Mahouka world. Even though the author already exposed Saegusa's weaknesses to Tatsuya in vol.15, Tatsuya will not play a role in the war between Saegusa and Yotsuba unless he has obligation to do it. So far, his priority is the safety of Miyuki, and the second priority is orders from the 101 battalion. If he does not get invited to the family and gain a new obligation as a member of family, he will not play any role. In addition, if he does not join the family and carry the name of Yotsuba with Miyuki, I cannot speculate any other way for Tatsuya to connect with Yotsuba's sponsor. Based on the story until now, Tatsuya does not really fear Yotsuba or Maya, but he cannot make any move against Yotsuba because of kuromaku(黒幕 ( くろまく ); its sponsor(s)) during the conversation with Miyuki at the 9SC Arc.

Anyway, my point is, the story will not go any further unless Tatsuya and the clan resolve their twisted relationships. So far, Mahouka is going to the direction where Tatsuya to gain his rightful respect and acknowledgements, so I think, it is natural for Tatsuya to join the family. For this reason, I think, the author has been distancing Tatsuya from the 101 battalion as well. In vol.13, Kazama used Tatsuya to screw Kudou Retsu. Even though Kazama, Retsu, and Maya used Tatsuya as a pawn for their own individual objectives, I think, it is a huge change in Kazama compared to the 9SC Arc. And, we do not know how he and the 101 battalion would perceive Tatsuya after Tatsuya invaded the Uji second supply base nearby Kyoto. According to Kyouko, even Tatsuya's special lieutenant rank cannot save Tatsuya from his action if he gets caught. And, the 101 battalion is standing against 10MC, and in some way Yotsuba crossed the line and interfered with the military business. This event may have drawn the line between Tatsuya and the 101 battalion.

Quote:
Mitsugu was clearly involved. I think that's enough to justify revenge.
Personally, it seems to be a decision by few individuals because if they hate him enough to kill him at the birth, they would not allow Miya to become a surrogate mother for Tatsuya (if Tatsuya is not her son) or carry Tatsuya at the first place.

Last edited by TrueAlchemist; 2015-04-01 at 17:34.
Old 2015-04-01, 17:58   Link #32
Jiminy

Agreed. But the question is how do we get there? Maya may plot as much as she wants but in the end it will probably not tip the scales.

If you ask me the problems can only be resolved if:
1) Tatsuya learns the entire truth.
2) Tatsuya proves how capable he is before everyones eyes (I doubt the presentation of baryon lance will be enough though – personally I still hope for a duel Maya vs Tats. It would be the ultimate prove because she is the embodiment of all the principles of house Yotsuba and a symbol of their strength, but without a very good reason this is unlikely to happen)
3) although he could hurt them badly he can prove that he has no intention to do so. In other words he forgives them. This point is probably the most difficult one to achieve.
Old 2015-04-01, 18:26   Link #33
TrueAlchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy View Post
Agreed. But the question is how do we get there? Maya may plot as much as she wants but in the end it will probably not tip the scales.

If you ask me the problems can only be resolved if:
1) Tatsuya learns the entire truth.
2) Tatsuya proves how capable he is before everyones eyes (I doubt the presentation of baryon lance will be enough though – personally I still hope for a duel Maya vs Tats. It would be the ultimate prove, but without a very good reason this is unlikely)
3) although he could hurt them badly he can prove that he has no intention to do so. In other words he forgives them. This point is probably the most difficult one to achieve.
It is only possible if Tatsuya learned the truth. Otherwise, they will continue distrusting him, and nothing will change.
I think, Tatsuya proved himself enough. In the meeting, they were unhappy to look at Tatsuya's achievement. Only one branch head drags out issues with Tatsuya's magic.

However, the biggest plot twist will be when Miyuki learns about Yotsuba's past attempt on Tatsuya's life when he was born. If Miyuki learns the family tried to kill Tatsuya, Miyuki may throw away her candidacy to become a heir because it means, she will be the head of organization that tried to kill Tatsuya. Furthermore, the author has explained Miyuki's obedience towards Yotsuba in vol.14. According to the volume, her lack of knowledge made her obedient towards Maya and Yotsuba. It feels like the author is hinting us that Miyuki may stand up against Maya's order at one point if she gains more knowledge and experience. So, I think, there is a chance that she is the one who may step down from the candidacy with her own will. She may not walk away from Yotsuba, yet, but I feel like the truth about Tatsuya will influence Miyuki significantly. So far, she does not show any ambition to become heir, and based on preview she wants to be elected in order for Tatsuya to come out of shadow. So, if she learns the truth, she may just throw everything away.

So, I am also thinking about the possible ending of this arc without choosing any heir while Tatsuya gets invited to the family.
If Yotsuba and Tatsuya start building the reasonable level of trust, Maya may not have to choose Miyuki or at least does not have to choose the heir at this point in the novel.
Or, everything remains the same without choosing the heir.

Last edited by TrueAlchemist; 2015-04-01 at 19:43.
Old 2015-04-01, 22:18   Link #34
IceHism

I heard from a random source that the author said in an interview that he has no intention to write a big conflict between Maya and Tatsuya. Not sure if it's true but I wonder how this book would go if it was.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-02, 02:16   Link #35
Ultragunner

I think this may have been brought up previously, but does anyone know why Tatsuya is still alive today while the family tried to kill him? Was it due to his immorta... I mean Regrowth (lol)? Or was it because someone else stopped them?
Old 2015-04-02, 04:28   Link #36
expertsource

i'm afraid your speculations won't become true. i'm afraid that tatsuya is tatsuya and author is author. author can still hide the big facts and move on like before. He can reveal some secrets due to yotsuba inheritance but, i think he will hide the major secret again. i don't think we will learn every secret between tatsuya and yotsuba that we don't know. why? because Author is really annoying. tatsuya either.
tatsuya may accept yotsuba like nothing. Because of this two thing: he is tatsuya with no emotion and his sister will be the next yotsuba leader.
So, no reveling secrets and keeping things move on as same before... that's why, i'm afraid.
expertsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-02, 06:44   Link #37
koudoh

Im french

-why nobody thinks a flashback, like the vol 8.
-I think tatsuya has not lost memory
-I think tatsuya has already acted in the shadows.
-tatsuya wants to protect his sister even if it not accept the decision like the vol 13
koudoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-02, 12:42   Link #38
tigerdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
I think this may have been brought up previously, but does anyone know why Tatsuya is still alive today while the family tried to kill him? Was it due to his immorta... I mean Regrowth (lol)? Or was it because someone else stopped them?
I don't think we know because all we have is that brief conversation between Hayama and Mitsugu. Hopefully we find out more about that event in the new volume. I don't think the author would drop that kind of a bombshell and not address it in the new volume, which seems to be the perfect opportunity to do so.
Old 2015-04-02, 18:16   Link #39
somerand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
I don't think it was stated that the entire clan tried to kill him, it's possible that they all did but it's only confirmed that someone or some group within the family did.
Tatsuya is obviously a highly controversial topic within the family. I think the most likely scenario for what happened was that the branch leaders disagreed about what to do with him, a branch leader or perhaps several of them tried to kill him and someone within the family intervened to save him. (Probably Miya/Maya)
somerand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-02, 20:46   Link #40
Armando99

They probably both decided to save him, if in fact that story is true about some faction of the family attempting to kill him. This could also be a plot twister by the author to throw everyone off. One thing constant about this story and it's author is the fact that he likes hanging plots, lots of them.

Besides, knowing what we know from stated facts, Miya is Tatsuya's mother until the author decides to tell us directly in one of the upcoming volume. If that is true, for now, then the twin sisters had all the reasons in the world to save the young Tatsuya.
Armando99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satroll, shippers tragedy