AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-08, 21:04   Link #21
solomon

Today on the PBS Newshour there was a story on Debit Card fees in the U.S. and how there is a lobbying fight over the lowering of such fees.

It made me wonder about a time back when, where banks are community owned. I wonder how that was as opposed to the large corporate banks.

This ties into the larger question of corporatization. On the one hand deregulation is argued for favor of "innovation". Yet at least in the media, we have an upsurge of quantity but quality is debatable.

Admittedly that is subjective, but in an age where the last bastion of community news organizations (Public stations) are likely going to be gashed of spending, it is a dire situation.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-08, 21:13   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Today on the PBS Newshour there was a story on Debit Card fees in the U.S. and how there is a lobbying fight over the lowering of such fees.

It made me wonder about a time back when, where banks are community owned. I wonder how that was as opposed to the large corporate banks.

This ties into the larger question of corporatization. On the one hand deregulation is argued for favor of "innovation". Yet at least in the media, we have an upsurge of quantity but quality is debatable.

Admittedly that is subjective, but in an age where the last bastion of community news organizations (Public stations) are likely going to be gashed of spending, it is a dire situation.
I think we can label the idea that centralization/corporatization does not have a bloody thing to do with "innovation" other than stifling it and that any CEO caught saying that should be pelted with shoes til he leaves the stage. Almost inevitably, the moving blob of "buying companies up" lead to poorer customer service, loss of choice, loss of competition. This is the thing about large corporations - they are not interested in either a well-regulated free market or in competing. It simply isn't in the charter.
Old 2011-03-08, 21:18   Link #23
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
RT, BBC, AL-Jazeera and John Pilger are my main sources for news. I don't see how you can compare RT to fox news in any way; it is a network that usually reports news that most of the world media simply ignores.

Now, I realized myself how the american media is down playing the protests at home. I just did a google search to confirm what I suspected. RT isn't the only source reporting on this issue but I did find the video to be quite good.

As everyone else has been mentioning in this thread, it is old news that the media is owned by corporations and that they influence it. However, I consider that it is important to attempt to determine where this is heading. Is the world going to become completely dominated by CEOs who rule the world as monarchs because they are not elected? Are they going to deregulate and manipulate all of the world's communications, including the internet, in order to brainwash people that government is a problem to then eliminate all forms of regulation?

...oh God... This is already happening
Are you that afraid? I'm glad I'm not living in America.
Old 2011-03-08, 21:31   Link #24
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think we can label the idea that centralization/corporatization does not have a bloody thing to do with "innovation" other than stifling it and that any CEO caught saying that should be pelted with shoes til he leaves the stage. Almost inevitably, the moving blob of "buying companies up" lead to poorer customer service, loss of choice, loss of competition. This is the thing about large corporations - they are not interested in either a well-regulated free market or in competing. It simply isn't in the charter.
It's long been known that humans are most innovative and productive when working in small, focused groups.
Old 2011-03-08, 21:39   Link #25
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's long been known that humans are most innovative and productive when working in small, focused groups.
More specifically - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number . There seems to be some science behind the age old wisdom, and it's not that hard to see why really. I wonder if this chain of thinking can also tie in to small business vs. large business and the quality of their products/services. I would assume it to be the case. If so, it would certainly apply to the increasingly interconnected conglomerate of news media that exists today, and its seemingly plummeting level of pertinent, useful information without a spin on it for whoever is paying the bills.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 16:04   Link #26
Nosauz

It's over, America has fallen for trickle down economics again, instead of the wealth trickling down, it's the economic pain that trickles down, if the rich don't get whatever they want, then we won't be able to buy bread, cloth of families. It's interesting how we continue to believe that making someone wealthy and letting them rob us blind is the only way to reach economic prosperity. Anyway the media truly has shied away from this story, hell other than clips here and there, these stories are completely being over shadowed by other places, hell NPR has done very little to cover the ploy used by Wisconsin republicans to strip workers of their very rights.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 23:09   Link #27
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
It's over, America has fallen for trickle down economics again, instead of the wealth trickling down, it's the economic pain that trickles down, if the rich don't get whatever they want, then we won't be able to buy bread, cloth of families. It's interesting how we continue to believe that making someone wealthy and letting them rob us blind is the only way to reach economic prosperity. Anyway the media truly has shied away from this story, hell other than clips here and there, these stories are completely being over shadowed by other places, hell NPR has done very little to cover the ploy used by Wisconsin republicans to strip workers of their very rights.
That makes me laugh hysterically. Strip them of their rights... That's funny.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 23:36   Link #28
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Whats funny is that it is true.

This country is being groomed by corporations to hate government and regulation, when it is exactly the opposite of what this country needs, but that is never going to happen now that the media is being manipulated for the sake of profit.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 23:47   Link #29
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
I can't see what's funny. It might be a exageration but it's close of the true.
Old 2011-03-12, 23:49   Link #30
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
it's actually a privilege that's been statutorily granted by the Wisconsin state legislature.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 00:03   Link #31
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Close to the truth doesn't equal the truth. The word rights has been so overly used, people don't even know the original meanings anymore.
Old 2011-03-13, 01:21   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Close to the truth doesn't equal the truth. The word rights has been so overly used, people don't even know the original meanings anymore.
One could make a pretty compelling case that collective bargaining is directly related to "freedom to assemble" (1st ammend), but yeah, the word is slung about too easily. "Freedom to assemble" is not a "privilege granted by the government".

And, of course, "rights" are not granted by any government - they are inherent to the people and to individuals. Governments, plutocrats, warlords, aristocrats, oligarchs, "fat cats", etc are the ones who suppress those rights.
Old 2011-03-13, 01:26   Link #33
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

For all this "suppression" it seems to be in the news anyway.
Old 2011-03-13, 01:36   Link #34
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Yes, THAT John Pilger.

Also, yes, he does make a big deal out of anything he choses to report on. He is a very outspoken critic of the west; specially when it comes to government, banks and corporations. You can even say he is harsh. However, that doesn't take away the fact that everything that he reports is true and very well documented from multiple sources. Please find me something that he has reported on that is false.

He is specially critical of the US and Britain. He often reports on issues that you will never see brought out in the media of these two countries, and they hate him for that. He is a source of very bad publicity for them. He is now more hated than ever thanks to his big support of the wiki leaks scandal, he has been a key figure in the defense of Julian Assang and one of the main promoters of the idea that he gets the nobel peace price.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 01:45   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
For all this "suppression" it seems to be in the news anyway.
Hmmm, I didn't say the *information* or *coverage* was being suppressed. Only that they are not being allowed to "assemble" as many rulings have determined that citizens may do - so one could argue the right of assembly is being denied or suppressed (or at least the ability to choose the topic of debate is being stifled).

As for the news coverage... well, that's an entire discussion in itself as to whether any side is being aptly covered or not (quick cut to the next soundbite... we don't do context... teaser to keep you anxious and waiting thru the next commercial break)
Old 2011-03-13, 02:01   Link #36
justinstrife

Quote:
One could make a pretty compelling case that collective bargaining is directly related to "freedom to assemble" (1st ammend), but yeah, the word is slung about too easily. "Freedom to assemble" is not a "privilege granted by the government".

And, of course, "rights" are not granted by any government - they are inherent to the people and to individuals. Governments, plutocrats, warlords, aristocrats, oligarchs, "fat cats", etc are the ones who suppress those rights.
People have the right to assemble, but they don't have the right to force someone to join an organization. Currently, if you want a public employee position, you HAVE to join a union. You HAVE to pay union dues. Dues which go overwhelmingly to Democratic Politicians. We taxpayers can refuse such an arrangement. We have the right. That is exactly what's going on around the country bit by bit.
Old 2011-03-13, 02:04   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That part I'm fine with... I don't believe anyone should have to join a union and welcome mandates to that effect. However, that isn't what the Wisconsin bill was about - it was about preventing the union from being able to bargain at all. Union-busting is a different animal than "balancing the equation between employer and employee".

Personally, I've worked in a variety of situations with and without a union. The only time a union doesn't provide *some* shielding against getting screwed is when your talent is in short supply - especially with large firms. I guess I'm mostly a fan of companies that the employees jointly own or have a substantial say in -- one in which they share in the pain/gain (loss/profit) zone. Those would be small companies... the ones mostly responsible for actually creating jobs and innovating.

For the government... employees need some sort of voice in the budget planning if only to stabilize effects from political swings and cronyism because without some stability, work forces are certainly ineffective.
Old 2011-03-13, 02:06   Link #38
justinstrife

Quote:
That part I'm fine with... I don't believe anyone should have to join a union and welcome mandates to that effect. However, that isn't what the Wisconsin bill was about - it was about preventing the union from being able to bargain at all. Union-busting is a different animal than "balancing the equation between employer and employee".
Oh Unions should be allowed to bargain, but the employer, should be allowed to tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine as well. The employer being the Government, which is the taxpayer.

The bill had nothing to do with the Private sector at all. Strictly the Public sector.
Old 2011-03-13, 02:16   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Oh Unions should be allowed to bargain, but the employer, should be allowed to tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine as well. The employer being the Government, which is the taxpayer.

The bill had nothing to do with the Private sector at all. Strictly the Public sector.
There's two ways to approach that.... one is consensus the other is what Walker has done (and likely skipped around the law to do it). He and his assembly supporters have now pissed off all the First Responders in the state... mmmmm, that may not have been a brilliant bit of statesmanship.
Old 2011-03-13, 02:23   Link #40
justinstrife

Quote:
There's two ways to approach that.... one is consensus the other is what Walker has done (and likely skipped around the law to do it). He and his assembly supporters have now pissed off all the First Responders in the state... mmmmm, that may not have been a brilliant bit of statesmanship.
Replacements can always be found if they aren't willing to do their jobs.

You don't think there isn't a backlash building against public employee unions because of how they have acted? Teachers calling in sick in mass, doctors fraudulating sick papers for said teachers, and students being taken to the capital to protest, over something they know nothing about? The unions are in danger of pissing off the average middle class. That may not have been a brilliant bit of strategy on their part.