Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-07-06, 02:31   Link #21
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
Hmm...so you want to beat science with fantasy? Well, what about tackling the first and most important issue the show conveniently failed to address?

What I'm talking about are the "living" minds of those entrapped in stone. If they could think, their brains were functioning, and for that, their cells needed to metabolize, but they had no sustenance and no water for all that time. So scientifically, none of them should have survived past a week (3 days without water), let alone a year, let alone 3700 years.

If we play along with the show's "logic", what happens to the statues that were less fortunate? The ones in pieces, with a head here, and a body over there. Are those people still "alive"? Will they die once the stone cracks because their body parts are not altogether?

Too many scientific plotholes already, but I'll watch for entertainment purposes.
Those aren't plotholes.

They haven't given an explanation for that yet so it's impossible for it to be "inconsistent" .
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 03:38   Link #22
4th Dimension

Ehhhh, for their bodies to have survived in apparently a shell of stone something had to be providing SOME power for 3000+ years. Unless something MUCH fancier was going on. Like SOMEHOW stopping all motion in their bodies and then trapping their minds elsewhere and then transfering them back when the shell cracks.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 03:50   Link #23
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Nice first episode. I guess it helps having a "Big Oaf" for a protagonist in a show like this because then there's a reason for Senku to give all the science lessons.

But I'd be mighty disappointing if the biggest mystery of this story isn't solved by science: Senku's hair.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 04:30   Link #24
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Ehhhh, for their bodies to have survived in apparently a shell of stone something had to be providing SOME power for 3000+ years. Unless something MUCH fancier was going on. Like SOMEHOW stopping all motion in their bodies and then trapping their minds elsewhere and then transfering them back when the shell cracks.
Even more basically, where did that stone shell come from? If it was just transformed soft tissue, what's beneath would have lost all skin and a lot of flesh. If not, is it spontaneous matter creation?

My point is, the stone transformation and everything related is pretty much magic, but it does follow rules, which Senku is trying to figure out.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 06:03   Link #25
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Well this certainly is something unique. Also I now expect the Primitive Technology channel on youtube to come up with an episode in winemaking and nital making because of this series

I don't want to speculate on plot holes this early but there's one thing I'd like to point out:

It looks like whatever that petrification phenomenon was started high above since those birds were the first victims, then it went to humans BUT we were shown that dogs and other animals were NOT affected by whatever it was.

What made the birds special that apparently they're the only animal victims apart from humans???
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 07:02   Link #26
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It affected some birds. If all birds in the world had turned to stone, they'd have noticed.
Old 2019-07-06, 07:25   Link #27
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It affected some birds. If all birds in the world had turned to stone, they'd have noticed.
Still, why only humans and some species of birds that turned to stone (or is it encased in stone)? There aren't many similarities between humans & birds anatomically & biologically-speaking. Heck, the dogs shown in the episode are much closer to humans than birds yet they weren't petrified. It feels so random to me. I hope the show will provide answers for that.

Aside from some major question marks, I do enjoy this episode. It has that IBO-style relationship. Senku reminds me of Orga, and Taiju reminds me of Akihiro (but in Mikazuki's position) in this post-apocalyptic world. So, I'll definitely continue watching.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2019-07-06 at 07:36. Reason: too many "post" in post-apocalyptic :0
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 10:39   Link #28
Irenesharda

I hear so much about this show, but I really don't get it. Or maybe I'm not the audience for it?
I thought the science angle would be cool as I'm a scientist myself, but it's honestly more fiction than science.
The characters range from annoying to only slightly interesting, and the animation style is just not my type.

I kept trying to see why people keep calling this "AOTS" and recommending it, but I honestly just don't see it.

I may watch one more episode just to make sure, but this series is just not for me.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 10:44   Link #29
eisai_haramasukoi

Those two would be a comedy duo in another timeline.

For some weird reason, they remind me of Sento & Banjo from Kamen Rider Build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
But I'd be mighty disappointing if the biggest mystery of this story isn't solved by science: Senku's hair.
Some weire-ass, YuGiOh genetics, probably.
eisai_haramasukoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 11:09   Link #30
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Then why some birds and all humans but not all the other animals? Granted it's only the first episode but I'm also hoping for an explanation for this one.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 11:52   Link #31
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Those aren't plotholes.

They haven't given an explanation for that yet so it's impossible for it to be "inconsistent" .
Yeah, they haven't said something, but they might say something eventually in the future perhaps, so don't say it looks weird now.
That makes as much sense as this anime's science!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 15:01   Link #32
4th Dimension

Also I still don't get what the trick was to the final experiment working when others failed. They used the etching agent before, btu then when they do it outside it works.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 16:07   Link #33
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Also I still don't get what the trick was to the final experiment working when others failed. They used the etching agent before, btu then when they do it outside it works.
He made several different mixes (they're numbered) until one of them worked.
Old 2019-07-06, 19:44   Link #34
Irenesharda

Quote:
He was trying to use nitric acid at first, but then using the ethanol from wine, made Nital, which was the etching agent.

The issue was knowing the concentrations needed for the solute and solvent in order to create a solution which was strong enough to do what they needed it to do. It would take time and lots of trial and error considering that they have no supplies or scientific tools to work with.

Another issue is that too much ethanol, and the whole thing will explode as it becomes very unstable.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2019-07-06, 20:15   Link #35
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
He was trying to use nitric acid at first, but then using the ethanol from wine, made Nital, which was the etching agent.

The issue was knowing the concentrations needed for the solute and solvent in order to create a solution which was strong enough to do what they needed it to do. It would take time and lots of trial and error considering that they have no supplies or scientific tools to work with.

Another issue is that too much ethanol, and the whole thing will explode as it becomes very unstable.
It's precisely this kind of post that we need you here, Irene. Someone need to shed light on the chemistry stuffs in this anime. Can I ask you to stay around for a bit? Maybe for 5 episodes, to make this thread more interesting?
Old 2019-07-06, 20:56   Link #36
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It's precisely this kind of post that we need you here, Irene. Someone need to shed light on the chemistry stuffs in this anime. Can I ask you to stay around for a bit? Maybe for 5 episodes, to make this thread more interesting?
I'll probably give this the 3 episode try, but it doesn't look good. There are WAYYYYY more issues to address here that the series just glosses over. Other than the nitric acid/ Nital thing and a mention of gasoline being a chain of hydrocarbons at the beginning, that was really all the real science this series had to offer so far.

Everything else is pure fiction. The fact that their physical bodies both petrify but later appear to only be encased. The fact that if they were supposedly conscious for those thousands of years they would have gone insane long, long ago. The fact that their muscles didn't atrophy and waste away and were working perfectly well, despite the fact that they didn't move. The fact that they are perfectly healthy despite the fact that they never ate or drank anything in order to keep their systems moving, and thus keeping them alive. The fact that Stone genius boy would be able to count as he did when his brain functions would have decreased dramatically in order to keep him alive for as long as it could.

I could honestly keep going on and on at this point, but that wouldn't do anyone any good.

They do say that they are trying to "conquer fantasy using science" and I can see what they are trying to say here. But at a certain point, when your logic and laws and theory begin to cancel each other out and everything basically starts fighting itself. You should honestly just give up at that point. Because at that point, everything you've learned, everything you base all your knowledge on is worthless and all the science you say you know is now irrelevant. You might as well give up. The prior knowledge that you are using in your scientific methods, is useless and therefore your scientific methods are useless and you might as well decide to start from absolute scratch. You are now cavemen and you will have to do the exact same path of questions, guesses, and experiments and it will take you just as long as it did your forefathers because you are pretty much just wiping the slate completely clean and starting over.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2019-07-06, 23:42   Link #37
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
I'll probably give this the 3 episode try, but it doesn't look good. There are WAYYYYY more issues to address here that the series just glosses over. Other than the nitric acid/ Nital thing and a mention of gasoline being a chain of hydrocarbons at the beginning, that was really all the real science this series had to offer so far.

Everything else is pure fiction. The fact that their physical bodies both petrify but later appear to only be encased. The fact that if they were supposedly conscious for those thousands of years they would have gone insane long, long ago. The fact that their muscles didn't atrophy and waste away and were working perfectly well, despite the fact that they didn't move. The fact that they are perfectly healthy despite the fact that they never ate or drank anything in order to keep their systems moving, and thus keeping them alive. The fact that Stone genius boy would be able to count as he did when his brain functions would have decreased dramatically in order to keep him alive for as long as it could.

I could honestly keep going on and on at this point, but that wouldn't do anyone any good.

They do say that they are trying to "conquer fantasy using science" and I can see what they are trying to say here. But at a certain point, when your logic and laws and theory begin to cancel each other out and everything basically starts fighting itself. You should honestly just give up at that point. Because at that point, everything you've learned, everything you base all your knowledge on is worthless and all the science you say you know is now irrelevant. You might as well give up. The prior knowledge that you are using in your scientific methods, is useless and therefore your scientific methods are useless and you might as well decide to start from absolute scratch. You are now cavemen and you will have to do the exact same path of questions, guesses, and experiments and it will take you just as long as it did your forefathers because you are pretty much just wiping the slate completely clean and starting over.
Science fictions stories have different degrees of realism. The more realistic ones are "hard sci-fi" and the less realistic ones are "soft sci-fi".

It is very common for a sci-fi story to be "realistic" except for one or two elements. For example, in Alnoah Zero everything worked on normal science except the enemy super robots that were powered by an Aldnoah drive.

The idea behind this anime is that while it is clearly "fantasy" it should be possible to use, if not science, then at least the "scientific method" to understand it.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-07, 01:58   Link #38
Random14

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, basically Senku's been trying tons of different approaches. The cave dripping thing isn't a surefire approach, so Senku's been fiddling with different mixes, hence that shelf full of experiments. Not to mention that it took months for him to figure out the right mix, as we see them start working on it before winter, then its snowing, then its spring.

Honestly the first volume of this series probably is the weakest part, especially with only Senku and Taiju so far. The opening shows a lot of what's to come, once this series settles into its groove better.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-07, 02:19   Link #39
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

When it comes to the petrification, you're completely right. It's basically magic, and all they can do is study it from zero.

But the petrification is only one aspect of the show. There's also Senku's attempt to climb back from the stone age to the space age.
Old 2019-07-07, 02:21   Link #40
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I really think what the show need to establish early is whether the victims are turned to stone, encased in stone, or is it a process of changing from the former to the latter?

I mean, when Taiju broke off, it was an obvious case of "encased in stone" but when he saw stoned-people whose bodies are broken to pieces (such as the stone-girl that he tried to assemble), we only see stone "interior" instead of blood, bones & organs spilling out which is a case of "turned to stone" like what Medusa usually do to her victims. That's not even counting how various animals (especially mammals) are immune to it, but certain birds got "stoned" along with the humans.

So yeah, some consistency or solid foundation is needed for these kinds of stories.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD3LF0N53 View Post
Some weird-ass, YuGiOh genetics, probably.
Yu-Gi-Oh! protags have cooler hair than Senku!

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2019-07-07 at 02:36.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geniusly insane mc, morality, post apocalyptic, shonen