AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-12-11, 17:56   Link #21
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

In CE, it seems that the atlantic federation has always the bad role.
Since they didn't even bother to change the capital,it's obvious that the person who made the story has a few problems with the american policy.It's curious,I would
think that the producers(TV or someone else) would impose limits to avoid problems
especially if they want to sell the show in america(who likes to see his country criticized in a foreign show?).

It' s really funny they put UK in the atlantic federation

EDIT:The name is not the problem,it's the politic behind this choice.

Last edited by ZeusIrae; 2004-12-11 at 18:17.
ZeusIrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 18:01   Link #22
Scherazade
Asturian Guymelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae
In CE, it seems that the atlantic federation has always the bad role.
Since they didn't even bother to change the capital,it's obvious that the person who made the story has a few problems with the american policy.It's curious,I would
think that the producers(TV or someone else) would impose limits to avoid problems
especially if they want to sell the show in america(who likes to see his country criticized in a foreign show?).

It' s really funny they put UK in the atlantic federation
The UK is in the Atlantic Federation. That's kind of why it's called the Atlantic Federation.

Edit: I misread your post, sorry.
Scherazade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 18:12   Link #23
FlyByNite

Why wouldn't the UK be in the Atlantic Federation, the Atlantic Ocean spans between America and the UK

UK is in NATO(North Atlantic Treaty Organization)
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 18:30   Link #24
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

but UK is also part of the EU.Gundamofficial don't say directly that the eurasian federation is the heir of the EU but they say that it's " governed by a federal council dominated by the nations of the European region".So it's really funny,don't you see the irony? THey decided that UK wasn't part of europe.At last someone who has common sense(lol) If you don't understand don't worry
it's because I am french and I have ancestor in the navy.Every time I think about it I laugh
Old 2004-12-11, 18:35   Link #25
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae
but UK is also part of the EU.Gundamofficial don't say directly that the eurasian federation is the heir of the EU but they say that it's " governed by a federal council dominated by the nations of the European region".So it's really funny,don't you see the irony? THey decided that UK wasn't part of europe.At last someone who has common sense(lol) If you don't understand don't worry
it's because I am french and I have ancestor in the navy.Every time I think about it I laugh
Ah, you're right that about, maybe England got into another feud with France and left the EU at some point...
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 19:20   Link #26
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherazade
The UK is in the Atlantic Federation. That's kind of why it's called the Atlantic Federation.

Edit: I misread your post, sorry.
UK is part of the Eurassia Federation not the Atlantic Federation.
144M_HYPERION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 19:32   Link #27
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

sorry but you are wrong
http://www.gundamofficial.com/worlds...ound/maps.html
Old 2004-12-11, 23:10   Link #28
JohnSilver
MS Technician

Send a message via MSN to JohnSilver
Quote:
WHile I dislike comparing fictional material to the real world
Sorry for butting in, but every piece of work is part of the cultural context it was taken from. Every single work of fiction comes from stuff that happened in the real world, some being more inspired than other.

I just took a course in Lit Theory where we read how Frankenstein and Blade Runner were just expression of their cultural context.

Silver out.
JohnSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 00:08   Link #29
Scherazade
Asturian Guymelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSilver
Sorry for butting in, but every piece of work is part of the cultural context it was taken from. Every single work of fiction comes from stuff that happened in the real world, some being more inspired than other.

I just took a course in Lit Theory where we read how Frankenstein and Blade Runner were just expression of their cultural context.

Silver out.
I didn't say it wasn't done, I said I dislike doing it. Is that ok with you and your Literature course? Is it ok if I personally, think that it may be disrespectful to equate 250,000 fiction deaths with 3,000 real ones? If someone else wants to do it, fine, they can do whatever they want to do. I, personally, don't like making such comparisons so I usually don't, and that is all I said.
Old 2004-12-12, 02:08   Link #30
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
The UK has always aligned itself with the United States (in what some cynical people say as a rather lame attempt to exert itself as a world power). No surprise that it has been grouped with it in the Atlantic Federation.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 02:13   Link #31
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't done, I said I dislike doing it. Is that ok with you and your Literature course? Is it ok if I personally, think that it may be disrespectful to equate 250,000 fiction deaths with 3,000 real ones? If someone else wants to do it, fine, they can do whatever they want to do. I, personally, don't like making such comparisons so I usually don't, and that is all I said.
hmm... but the case here is, the official word is that they indeed take real world materials (especially the Bush's war on Iraq) as a base for the story in SEED Destiny...

UK is part of Atlantic Federation, it's also official.

Oh, and the ultimatum EA gives PLANT in Destiny ep8/9 is even more similar, completely disarm the country, dissolve current government, hand out terrorists which they don't have. The difference is I guess US asked Iraq to hand out WoMDs which they don't have, while PLANT at least has a WoMD to destroy EA's fleet. Maybe Bush's expression will be like Djibril's "WHAT? IMPOSSIBLE!" if Iraq had a nuke and nuked all the invading US troops
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 02:36   Link #32
Scherazade
Asturian Guymelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
hmm... but the case here is, the official word is that they indeed take real world materials (especially the Bush's war on Iraq) as a base for the story in SEED Destiny...
What part of "personal opinion" is throwing people off? I'm not speaking for anyone but myself.
Old 2004-12-12, 02:58   Link #33
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, what I mean is the fact here is that the producers themselves mentioned that they based the story on the real world situations, so comparisons are actually more or less inevitable after this kind of announcement from the producers. Sorry if it sounds offensive to you, I agree with your personal opinions a lot actually, so I usually don't talk about this kind of things unless if the setting is clearly based on real world events or the producers outright say that they base their work on some real world events.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 04:14   Link #34
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Perhaps in a few episodes the EA president will start mispronouncing nuclear weapons...

Could also point out that the terrorist group that dropped the colony is pretty much being ignored and used as an excuse to go to war with Plant. Wonder if they've written up any future consequences for that choice into the series for later eps.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-12, 12:34   Link #35
Colonel-

Send a message via AIM to Colonel-
Jibril must be a West Texas girl then!

What strategery moves do you guys think the EA will move in the next episode?
Colonel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 07:25   Link #36
KoroshiyaX
X

look at this interesting screenshot I found from GSD 09.

KoroshiyaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 09:06   Link #37
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel-
Jibril must be a West Texas girl then!

What strategery moves do you guys think the EA will move in the next episode?
"We're gonna smoke 'em out!"
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 13:42   Link #38
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
The UK has always aligned itself with the United States (in what some cynical people say as a rather lame attempt to exert itself as a world power). No surprise that it has been grouped with it in the Atlantic Federation.
http://www.gundamofficial.com/worlds...earthmap_a.gif

Interesting that Canada is also part of the Atlantic Federation in this map. Assuming the creators made the Gundam SEED world based on the current state of affairs, then there is either a change in Canadian policy (where it has gone "less liberal") or it got cowered by the larger powers in the Atlantic Federation into joining them.

On the other hand, Australia, currently a US ally in the "War Against Terror" is aligned with ZAFT. So while some of the stuff seem loosely based on real world affairs, others seem to be pure speculation by the creators.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 14:23   Link #39
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
http://www.gundamofficial.com/worlds...earthmap_a.gif

Interesting that Canada is also part of the Atlantic Federation in this map. Assuming the creators made the Gundam SEED world based on the current state of affairs, then there is either a change in Canadian policy (where it has gone "less liberal") or it got cowered by the larger powers in the Atlantic Federation into joining them.

On the other hand, Australia, currently a US ally in the "War Against Terror" is aligned with ZAFT. So while some of the stuff seem loosely based on real world affairs, others seem to be pure speculation by the creators.
Canada if I remember is also part of the ALENA so it's not impossible.
You give them too much credit it's not speculation,it is pure invention.
You just have to look at the size of eurasian federation and the number of nations it should control.It is worse than USSR
Old 2020-11-04, 22:25   Link #40
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I know that this is dead, but I remember reading up somewhere that Destiny was inspired by the plights of Palestinians in Gaza/West Bank.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote