AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2023-07-25, 17:41   Link #21
DragonOsman
Dragon King

I also started reading this series and have caught up on the official translations. It seems kind of similar to Harry Potter in some areas, doesn't it? 7 years of school, revenge for one or both parent(s), one of the characters coming from a non-magical family (Hermione in HP, Pete in this one--and there's also Guy IIRC? Nanao's also new to the whole thing). Just replace wands with swords. We even have brooms and a sport that uses them.

Oliver's whole story is really painful and tragic, though. He wants to avenge his mother, even though he understands that she was killed seemingly to protect the world in a way, and also knows it was done by the school's staff (chiefly the headmistress herself, who is also the single most powerful witch in the entire school). And he uses his mother's power while tearing his own body up, while keeping everything a secret from his friends in the Sword Roses. There's also the possibility that he might have to fight said friends later on down the road if he keeps up on doing what he's doing. At least Harry didn't have to put up with this kind of stuff.

I really hope Oliver's troubles are sorted out nicely in the end.
Old 2023-07-25, 17:49   Link #22
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Considering the authors previous work, I won't be so sure regarding potential happy ending.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-25, 21:09   Link #23
carmolita

@DragonOsman I don't think it's like Harry Potter, as there are no separate houses within the school with the exception of boys and girls dorms, they don't start school until age 15 and are encouraged to have kids and get married when 18/ 3rd year (most do to strengthen their bloodline) they have both weapons/ swords & wands, and most mages in any story of this type of setting have a broom they wouldn't be a mage without one. In this one there just in school and assuming they survive most of them will become gnostic warriors and fight in different tiers.

I agree Olivers story is tragic his mother was killed for her own ideas, wanting to make the world a better place. I wonder why Kimberly wants that broom so badly ? and she, oliver and the teachers see's his mother in nanoa. Chele's father obivouly plans to use her for some reaon. The book says his family was killed together but his father was clearly training him because of what happened to his mother and using him for revenge. But most of that seems to be from the soul merge, and his life is being shortened because of it but mages have really long lives so it's hard to say how much of his lifespan has been shortened.

@Nachtwandler That resurrection arch in book 8 has me worried, that the author might pull another alderman in the sky, but he caught a lot of flack from that, it's as if he didn't care toward the end. I really hope he learned his leason and doesn't do it with this series. *prays to the light novel gods that he was gifted with common sense*

I really like nanoa's character, she is not familer with being a mage but maintains her own values while trying to learn how to be a mage without loosing herself and her skills as a swordsman. I like how they made Oliver a person with feelings and he actually cries when he is sad and the commadery is great but I worry that chela might end up being torn between her friends and her family before long. Is Yuri like the astromoney's teacher other self? Like the good part of him that he case aside? I thought he killed him in the labyrinth and brought him back but could be wrong
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-26, 07:12   Link #24
DragonOsman
Dragon King

About Yuri: that does seem to be the case.

So you think if the author learned his lesson, he might give this series a happy ending?
Old 2023-07-26, 10:18   Link #25
Twi

How badly did that series end for everyone to be worried?
Old 2023-07-26, 10:55   Link #26
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmolita View Post
@DragonOsman I don't think it's like Harry Potter, as there are no separate houses within the school with the exception of boys and girls dorms, they don't start school until age 15 and are encouraged to have kids and get married when 18/ 3rd year (most do to strengthen their bloodline) they have both weapons/ swords & wands, and most mages in any story of this type of setting have a broom they wouldn't be a mage without one. In this one there just in school and assuming they survive most of them will become gnostic warriors and fight in different tiers.
This is because Hogwarts was based on a traditional British boarding school while Kimberly is despite the trappings more along the lines of a Japanese high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
How badly did that series end for everyone to be worried?
The ending was fine really; a lot of people complained because a fan favourite character died is all.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this did end in a similar fashion but I trust the author to do it well if it does.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-26, 14:38   Link #27
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Considering the authors previous work, I won't be so sure regarding potential happy ending.
If nothing else there's no possibility of a happily ever after ending for Oliver given the drawback of his ability. Unless that's a red herring, but I'm confident in the author's ability to not pander to the audience.

Wonder if there will still be HP comparisons after the anime gets to the main plot point of the story. Also HP is a revenge story? Wasn't it a story about some dumb rich kid groomed by an old man to be the savior of their world cause muh prophecy? Unless I've somehow managed to mangle canon with fanon, I'm fairly certain Harry wasn't exactly motivated to avenge his parents?
MonkeyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-26, 16:44   Link #28
DragonOsman
Dragon King

He wasn't a dumb rich kid raised for the sake of fulfilling the prophecy. Where did you get that? Yeah, he didn't live for revenge, but he did avenge his parents in the end when he killed Voldemort.
Old 2023-07-26, 20:02   Link #29
carmolita

@ Endscape if you have that much faith in the author then I'm gonna put my faith in your faith in him. killing off Yatori in vol 7 was insanity, killing off Ikta in vol 14 was craziness only for him to seek a small sliver of redemption by having them reunite in the afterlife using an epilogue... none-the-less. i can't forgive him, she (yatori) didn't even get to confess before he killed her off. who kills off the 2 main characters. I'm still trying to get over it but I want to have hope for 7 spell blades, he did a really good job setting up the world and fleshing out the characters, they're so relatable. But it seems so likely that oliver and nanoa are going to be forced to fight each other at some point. Unless oliver can give her the desire to live more than she wants to die, it's hard to see it ending well.. .. What is your opinion
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-27, 15:40   Link #30
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Yeah, I agree with you. Unless Oliver manages to give her more reason to want to live than to die, it won't end well. But either way, I think them fighting is inevitable, so whatever Oliver does will have to be when they fight.
Old 2023-10-18, 18:42   Link #31
Meera

I'm starting to read the LN version & I really enjoy this version more.
Meera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic academy, sword and magic