AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-10-17, 02:10   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Usually in America they call it drafting but yeah, slipstreaming is huge in auto racing. Not only does it reduce fuel consumption but it’s a great way to slingshot you way around the car in front of you.

When NASCAR races on the super speedways (basically the ovals 2 miles or longer) drafting happens with huge packs of cars, sometimes a dozen or more. And if you “lose the draft”, you can lose huge amounts of ground in the blink of an eye. Late in races that’s basically fatal.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-22, 20:55   Link #22
grecefar

no race today but we get to know more about the photographer... like his name.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-23, 00:27   Link #23
Alchemist007
*Author

It's nice to get some background on him, I wonder if it has to do with his divorce as well.
Old 2023-10-23, 00:53   Link #24
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
It's nice to get some background on him, I wonder if it has to do with his divorce as well.
The odds seem strong on that one. Either the backlash put too much stress on the marriage or Kouya refusing to open up did. Things like him not being able to take pictures of people is something that is accurate, but not something he's ever actually said. While understandable, when it comes to his own pain he shuts down and keeps it locked up tight. Can imagine a marriage struggling under that strain.

On the positive it's not like there are bad feelings between them overall. Decent chance for them to come back together depending on how the show plays out from here.
Old 2023-10-23, 01:09   Link #25
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

This week's racing nerdery. The crash that killed Haru's father looks like it was modeled after Romain Grosjean's crash in the Bahrain Grand Prix three years ago. Except that Grosjean survived it. He had some serious burns on his hands, but he was okay otherwise, and has since gone back to racing full-time.

BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-23, 11:53   Link #26
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
The F1 drivers who come over to the US and race in IndyCar almost always say one of the biggest differences is that they can actually be friends with their teammates.
IndyCar was supposed to come to Boston a couple of years back, and I was looking forward to attending. I've never been to an auto racing event, so this seemed like a good first choice. The track would have covered most of the newly-redeveloped South Boston waterfront area. Sadly it never happened. I think they had problems getting permits from the City, then COVID arrived. I think they even sold tickets, then had to refund them.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-29, 14:28   Link #27
Dextro
He Without a Title

If there were any doubts that Haruka's father accident was inspired by Niki Lauda's at the Nurburgring I think those doubts can now be put aside after the show flat out talked about that race in this last episode. It's also interesting to see that Belsorisso's #1 driver is inspired by James Hunt. It goes to show that the writers really had some awareness of formula racing history (though, given how much detail the first few episodes had, I doubt anyone was thinking otherwise).

Good episode. It's nice to have a breather once in a while and we still got some characterization for our characters. Though I find it weird that the mechanic was in such bad physical shape. Being a mechanic in a racing team is not exactly easy in a physical sense. You'll find those boys and girls to have some pretty nice muscles thanks to their job.
Old 2023-10-29, 16:38   Link #28
grecefar

I actually went and look for that info about niki lauda and james hunt, to see if it was true. It was a nice information and history about it.

I wonder if kouya will have another good deal with that new picture he took. It looked like a pretty good shot.
Old 2023-10-29, 17:51   Link #29
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
This week's racing nerdery. The crash that killed Haru's father looks like it was modeled after Romain Grosjean's crash in the Bahrain Grand Prix three years ago. Except that Grosjean survived it. He had some serious burns on his hands, but he was okay otherwise, and has since gone back to racing full-time.

I didn't catch it initially, but there are definitely similarities now that you mention it.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-30, 01:43   Link #30
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

This week's episode was pretty wholesome. Was surprised that Haruka could run so fast without his shoes, but the best part was when he kicked the photographer's shoes away!
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-30, 06:18   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Not much to that ep, but they snuck in a big event there at the end.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-30, 18:08   Link #32
Alchemist007
*Author

I noticed "race queen" was subbed "grid girl." It's bewildering to hear one and read another, I wish they just used TNs instead.
Old 2023-11-05, 11:46   Link #33
grecefar

it is a hard decision between tires with that weather. In the end is all about luck and boy they didn't have this time but at least photographer words made haruka play safe.

I didn't saw coming, harunaga accident. It seems he is ok for now.
Old 2023-11-05, 15:12   Link #34
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Wow...this episode was like 2 steps forward, and later on 3 steps back

Kouya finally is able to photograph people for a living, starting with the model. But after the amateur discussion about tires (which I understand his concern, but doesn't really have the right to), his demons rise once again following the Belsorriso crashes. Brutal for not only the photographer when he catches a glimpse of the "#1 driver" but also for Satsuki himself, for making a reckless mistake trying to overtake 2 cars at once and then getting rammed by another car that ran into him.

For Komaki Motors, did Haruka retire in the pits? Why didn't they proceed to change to rain tires?

Aside from the drama of the episode, I loved all the visuals of the racing. We get Haruka's POV from his cockpit, we get mirror reflections around the curve after that initial crash and we got some good overtakes and passing as well as slide outs.

9/10 episode for me. Hopefully Satsuki will be ok and same for Kouya.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-05, 15:27   Link #35
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
For Komaki Motors, did Haruka retire in the pits? Why didn't they proceed to change to rain tires?
By then after going off track and losing lots of places, then by the time they'd have changed the tyres he'd have been a lap or more down (not like they can change all the wheels that fast like F1 teams do).
On top of which, as a relatively cash-poor team with one car and driver, going out and risking even light car damage would be a lot of cost, so as there was pretty much no chance of points better to just pull out to save money.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-05, 16:34   Link #36
ditn

I dont know how long a f4 race is but like said above, when you have to come in for changing tyres you pretty much have lost the race.
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-05, 18:56   Link #37
Dop
Mmmm....

I've been watching some of the British F4 races and that usually has three races during the day, each one about 20 minutes long (with one lap after the clock runs out).
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-05, 20:09   Link #38
Dextro
He Without a Title

While this was a great episode showing the real perils of motorsports, I do have some mild criticism.

First things first, the whole debate about tires is 100% correct. When rain comes, in a series like F4 that doesn't have the pit stops as one of the main points, it's a real dilema on whether to risk slicks or go for wets.

But that's where I have to criticise the show for taking some massive liberties for plot purposes. In a scenario like the one shown in the episode, where rain was still falling down rather hard, slicks would just plain not work. Anyone with slicks would have been overtaken by the second corner at the very least. A formula car, with slicks, with that much water on track would be hard pressed to accelerate, let alone make a corner in half the speed of a car running wets. Slicks could work on a damp track, but the rain would have to be way lighter than depicted.

On the other hand the show got the lack of visibility due to spray absolutely spot on. The crash at the end gave me shivers going down my spine, especially when the track depicted was Suzuka. That track has some track record with accidents. Jules Bianchi sadly lost his life at the track during an F1 race not too long ago, and with very similar weather to that depicted in this episode. While it wasn't the same kind of crash, it still brought back memories of that terrible incident. Kudos to the show for absolutely nailing the danger of motorsport.

And don't get me wrong, the show clearly choose to not be accurate for the sake of plot and is probably better for it. I still feel like they could have made it work better by being accurate but the result we got was still fantastic. Overtake continues being one of the most impressive shows I've seen in a while.
Old 2023-11-05, 23:22   Link #39
Alchemist007
*Author

Best ep so far, drama and racing coming together.
Old 2023-11-06, 02:16   Link #40
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

My very first race was the 1975 Indy 500, which got hit by a sudden downpour like the one in this week's episode. The cars went sliding around all over the place, even after slowing down. There were only about 25 laps to go, so they just called it there.

The slick tire has no tread, so it maximizes the amount of grip the car has. In the rain, though, it's really easy for the car to hydroplane because there's nothing to channel the water. A rain tire has treads to channel the water, but as they said in the episode, on a dry surface they heat up and fall apart quicker.

In both IndyCar and NASCAR (and maybe F1, but I'm not sure) the officials will declare a "wet race" and require everyone to start on rain tires. As the race progresses, the individual teams decide when they think it's dry enough to have their cars pit to put on slicks. And if the rain hits in the middle of the race, they'll slow everyone down and put out the Safety Car so that everyone can pit and put rain tires on. That's only on road courses, though. On oval tracks, it's too dangerous even with rain tires, so they stop the race.

I don't know what the rules are in F4. Most of the junior series don't have races that are long enough to need pit stops, which means the teams don't have to spend money on pit crews. In Formula E, they only use one tire that's designed to work in either wet or dry conditions.

In today's racing news, this year's champion in NASCAR's top division is Ryan Blaney, a third-generation driver. And an all-female team known as the "Iron Dames" won their class in the World Endurance Cup's 8-hour race in Bahrain. Someone should do an anime about a team like them. It irks me that the only female character at the track in this show is a grid girl.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racing, sports