AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2008-04-15, 17:14   Link #21
escimo
Paparazzi

I'm really afraid that they'll cast someone like Drew Barrymore to play Kusanagi and Spielberg directing, the end result is something like Mission Impossible 2 having sex with Dawson's Creek just it will be 3 hours long but feel more like 3 years.

I really can't think of a single anime I'd like to see going through the Hollywood action-nonsense shitfactory.
True enough there has been many excellent releases lately but most of the pure action flicks that have come out lately have been utter bullshit and if an anime gets Americanized the end result will with most probability be just pure actioncrap.

GitS may well be one of the easiest out there to turn into Live-action film and certainly one of the most known animes. But still I can't see hollywood machinery taking appropriate approach to making it into a film so it will most probably be just fireworks and special effects with no content what so ever.

Maybe a slight exaggeration... But none the less, can't say I'm looking forward to this.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 17:50   Link #22
Sci-Fi

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=52230

"3-D Live Action"...doesn't sound promising. If they have a killer script and make good casting choices, it might work out and they'll have a trilogy. If not, I hope they keep making GitS anime movies.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 18:32   Link #23
Tommy
Mr. Prince

"Variety reports that Universal and Sony also negotiated for the rights, which the Production I.G anime studio was pitching for the manga's original publisher Kodansha. What turned the dealmaking in DreamWorks' favor was co-founder Steven Spielberg's enthusiasm for the project. The entertainment trade newspaper quotes the acclaimed director and producer: "Ghost in the Shell is one of my favorite stories. It's a genre that has arrived, and we enthusiastically welcome it to DreamWorks."

Well at least a talented director/producer wants to do it and not someone like Micheal Bay.

Now if they end up casting Angelina Jolie for Major then you can start to worry.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 18:36   Link #24
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

10 bucks it just ends up a derivative action flick?
Old 2008-04-15, 19:05   Link #25
Tri-ring

I wonder how faithful they will be to the original material in terms of settings.
I hate it to see the set moved to some washed up eastern coastal city in the US.
I bet the Wachowski Brothers would be more than happy to participate.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 19:23   Link #26
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I bet the Wachowski Brothers would be more than happy to participate.
Speaking of the devil... Carrie-Anne Moss wouldn't be a bad choice for Kusanagi. Maybe a bit obvious typecast though.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 19:23   Link #27
ApostleOfGod
^.^

A lot of Michael Bay critics. Personally, I've never seen his other works such as The Island, but I really enjoyed Transformers adaptation (of course, Spielburg was involved in the project, so once again I can't say much). However, as far as the manga or the anime Transformers goes, I don't know, and I don't much care; Bay delivered a good popular movie that people were able to enjoy.

GitS is different, as it's not one of the general mainstream anime that is open to public viewing and gets dubbings running forever. However, I'm looking forward to how Dreamworks is going to come about this project. I can't think of any fitting Hollywood stars right now, and I wouldn't mind a currently-no-name actress for Major either (of course, I'm expecting excellent performance nevertheless). But they better have good support and a damn good Aramaki as well.

GitS was simply one of the sickest animes that I've watched, no doubt. I'm hoping the live action will keep the reputation too, and perhaps Spielburg can toss in a few of his prestigous and intriguing extras.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 19:31   Link #28
Tri-ring

I think it all depends on the main audience the producers are going to be targeting.
If they are going after kids 14 and under it is going to be stink big time, on the other hand if they prusue the actual loyal audience of the original anime then it is going to be the baddest thing since the Matrix. I hope it is going to be rated R and not some watered down PG.
Old 2008-04-15, 19:35   Link #29
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Oh... I think I'll be scarred for life if I watch this. I'm a huge GITS fan, and no Major Kusanagi means no GITS.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 20:45   Link #30
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Now if they end up casting Angelina Jolie for Major then you can start to worry.
God, no!

I much rather see a new face than her. >_< !
Old 2008-04-15, 20:55   Link #31
Happy_Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer.001 View Post
Well, give this one a chance, we are talking about Steven Spielburg here, so it ought to be good
IMHO I am not a fan of Steven Spielberg, he is quintesentially Hollwood. Yes he has talent (I thought "Duel" was, on the whole, a pretty gripping film). But nevertheless, I think this gentleman has a point:

http://people.bu.edu/rcarney/carncult/showbiz.shtml

quote:

"Now, fans of films like Schindler's List and Saving Pvt. Ryan will claim that those films reveal new truths too. But I can't see much difference between Spielberg's so-called serious movies and his boy's book movies. Saving Pvt. Ryan is a John Wayne "storm the trenches and carry out my buddy" movie with gore, grain, and a hand-held camera. Wow. That's sure profound. Schindler's List simply rehashes Spielberg's inflatable, one-size-fits-all myth about how a clever, resourceful character can outsmart a system. Is that what the meaning of the Holocaust boils down to–Indiana Schindler versus the Gestapo of Doom? Schindler is a Hollywood producer's self-congratulatory fantasy of how giving people a chance to work for you is doing them a big favor. What real courage did it take to make this movie? What new understanding of the Holocaust did it reveal? Spielberg could have made a really courageous film if he had dared to make a movie sympathetic to the SS, a movie that deeply, compassionately entered into the German point of view in order to reveal how regular people with wives and children could be drawn into committing or silently consenting to such horrors. How about a movie that showed that, at least potentially, we are them? A film that didn't locate the bad guys in an emotional and historical galaxy far away? Of course, Spielberg could never make that film even if he tried to, because it would require too much insight on his part. And if he did make it, it would not get Academy Awards. It would require viewers to think. And thinking, real thinking, is always dangerous. Audiences might be forced to confront truths that they would rather avoid. Instead of affording them another opportunity to revel in their own virtue, they just might be made to squirm a little."
Happy_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 21:02   Link #32
Tri-ring

I will not accept anybody but Kanno Yoko doing the music ! !
Old 2008-04-15, 21:55   Link #33
Ryo.Massaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I will not accept anybody but Kanno Yoko doing the music ! !
Excuse me, but you mean Kenji Kawai? Right? RIGHT??
Ryo.Massaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 23:23   Link #34
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Excuse me, but you mean Kenji Kawai? Right? RIGHT??
Keiji Kawai was fine for Oshii's delusions of pseudo-philosophic grandeur, but Kanno was the final twist that made Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG so awesome.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 04:25   Link #35
iceyfw

LOL i had to post this from another thread here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Obligatory image.

Match made in heaven. (well, ok, not as much as Patrick Stewart as Prof. X )
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 04:46   Link #36
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy View Post
LOL i had to post this from another thread here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Obligatory image.

Match made in heaven. (well, ok, not as much as Patrick Stewart as Prof. X )
I just fell off from my seat laughing ! !
Old 2008-04-16, 06:16   Link #37
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Keiji Kawai was fine for Oshii's delusions of pseudo-philosophic grandeur, but Kanno was the final twist that made Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG so awesome.
Any song that can match this as an ending theme song?

I think not.
Just look at the lyrics;

she's so cold and human
it's something humans do
she stays so golden solo

she's so number nine
she's incredible math
just incredible math

and is she really human?
she's just so something new
a waking lithium flower
just about to bloom
I smell lithium now
smelling lithium now

how is she when she doesn't surf?
I wonder what she does when she wakes up?
when she wakes up

so matador
so calm
so oil on a fire
she's so good
she's so goddess lithium flower
so sonic wave
yeah, she's so groove, yeah
she's so groove
yeah

wow, where did she learn how to surf?
you know I've never seen the girl wipe out

how does she so perfectly surf?
I wonder what she does when she wakes up?

I wanna go surfing with her

My Ultimate goddess, you are my master.
And it wasn't just the second gig the first SAC was awsome as well.

Last edited by Tri-ring; 2008-04-16 at 06:29.
Old 2008-04-16, 11:36   Link #38
Ryo.Massaki

I have to disagree. Both of the endings didnt do anything for me, way too mainstream. I don't think that a) rock music b) folk c) pop music or d) techno music is fitting. Thas why i think the end music for both seasons is mediocre at best.
The intros are pretty good, and the background music for the series is good too, but sometimes i think they are going too far into mainstream.
GitS should have a more ambient like electronic soundtrack (no techno!!!) mixed with a traditional japanese style. Thats why i think Kenji Kawais score is perfect, and Yoko is merely 2nd choice.
But this is only my opinion.
And no matter what, the music for the spielberg film will suck (like the rest of the movie) when you compare it with the original.
Ryo.Massaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 14:56   Link #39
kujoe
from head to heel

It depends on what kind of film it's going to be. Kenji Kawai's music is perfect for exuding that sense of alienation, ambivalence, and at times, the surreal. It fits with Oshii's human/machine themes.

Yoko Kanno's music has a more hip vibe to it, which goes in line with the cyber police drama stories of GITS SAC. It's rather eclectic, a fitting sound for a setting which is both familiar and futuristic to us in the present.

With that said, I think that a live action movie of GITS would work by going with the SAC formula. I just can't imagine it pulling an Oshii on the audience. But overall, the idea of a GITS live action movie just doesn't sit well with me. I'm just being pessimistic about it I guess, but I find it hard to be excited about it so far.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 15:33   Link #40
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Has Kanno or Kawai done live-action scores?

I think that they are probably going to use Hollywood composers. This is a Hollywood production for an American film so it's best that they use people that they work well with.