AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-07-22, 03:43   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow, not only David and Teddy but Gigolo Joe too.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-22, 05:32   Link #22
Alchemist007
*Author

Great ep, probably my favorite so far this season.
Old 2023-07-24, 03:55   Link #23
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

So the young woman is a humanoid who has a robot guy for all her emotional and physical needs, and the young boy has a robot stuffed animal that has remnants of it's memory from the time it was with it's previous owner (who sadly passed away).

Truly an intriguing episode. I can understand the young boy's plight as he grew attached while his mother worked long hours. The step dad seemed a bit hands off, probably given he is a newer addition to the family it seems.

I'm not sold on the young woman's decision, as we don't know if "Joe" #2 will retain anything as it's memory was wiped in that car (which I thought he would have at least been taken to the facility first). Perhaps the story of Poppo leaves it ambiguous and hopeful.

Next episode looks like a jam packed one with many new characters and interesting scenes.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-24, 05:24   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I interpreted the ending with Gigolo Joe a little differently. We know (because he said so) that the memories are retained for 5 years in case the client chooses the "continue" option. Clearly, Joe came back without them, which means she chose to have it that way.

That would mean the question that matters is "why?". Either she did it as a sort of gesture of respect for Joe, or she wanted to have the good part - getting to know him again - before she got tired of him.
Old 2023-07-24, 15:22   Link #25
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I've just watched the prologue of ep 3, and already I feel compelled to say that, while absolutely something people would do, cheating on a robot sounds like the dumbest thing ever.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-25, 00:08   Link #26
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I interpreted the ending with Gigolo Joe a little differently. We know (because he said so) that the memories are retained for 5 years in case the client chooses the "continue" option. Clearly, Joe came back without them, which means she chose to have it that way.

That would mean the question that matters is "why?". Either she did it as a sort of gesture of respect for Joe, or she wanted to have the good part - getting to know him again - before she got tired of him.
Wasn't that a different woman/customer at the end?
Old 2023-07-25, 00:19   Link #27
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

LOL, was it? If so that totally slipped by me.
Old 2023-07-25, 10:38   Link #28
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I've just watched the prologue of ep 3, and already I feel compelled to say that, while absolutely something people would do, cheating on a robot sounds like the dumbest thing ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
LOL, was it? If so that totally slipped by me.
The prologue for ep3 kinda seems like the first girl came and killed the second girl (the one at the end of the episode), but if that was the intention of the story, it doesn't make sense since she would either be seeing the future or living in a time loop, so I just wrote it off as nothingness. Not like she'll ever appear again in the story anyways

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-25, 21:33   Link #29
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Wasn't that a different woman/customer at the end?
I thought it was, too!
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-26, 03:16   Link #30
Eater of All
NOM

Yeah it is, the hair is completely different. I guess it implies the first girl didn't pick the continue option and moved on?

I'm quite liking this show. It's refreshingly unpreachy and does its worldbuilding/exploration while being fairly subdued about it. I was expecting some melodramatic development in ep2 where the kid tries to illegally modify his specs, but there weren't any of that. I was expecting some audience-pandering hints in ep3 that Joe or Poppo have something like a heart, but they never acted out of character (out of programming?). The show just focuses on presenting the impact that a super human-like AI can have on social structures and human expectations.
Old 2023-07-27, 02:09   Link #31
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Yeah it is, the hair is completely different. I guess it implies the first girl didn't pick the continue option and moved on?
I thought she'd just cut her hair as a stereotypical breakup gesture.
Old 2023-07-27, 22:19   Link #32
Decel

Not the same hair color either, so I'm in the "she moved on" camp.

Nice series, just picked it up.
Old 2023-07-28, 22:48   Link #33
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Haven't read the manga, so I don't know if the stories this episode are anime-original or not, but if they are in the manga, I believe these were written before the recent release of the openAI and such generative AIs

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2023-07-29, 12:31   Link #34
grecefar

that kind of technology will destroy humanity, seriously.

I thought that nurse met the doctor in high school but it was a realistic game situations, they got me in the preview lol.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-04, 18:59   Link #35
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Episode 5 presents us with the underlying (series main) subplot and then the episodic main plot.

There's something deep about Sudo's past that's slowly being unraveled, as per his "old friend" he visited. The same old friend gave him the cactus plant that the father also had but couldn't remember. I find it interesting that they framed the treatment as being easier to manipulate on humanoids vs real humans.

As for the young piano boy, I'm sure when we were all in elementary or primary school, there were classmates who were misfits. When you go deeper into their livelihoods and personalities, they often find an escape of some sort that calms them down or makes them happy. In this case, it was playing the piano, and boy this kid was good at it. He hated being interrupted and lashed out at his classmate and had negative thoughts during dinner. I am saddened at the prospect that post treatment, that kid is no longer the same, even if he can still play the piano and no longer has those uncontrollable rages.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-04, 20:53   Link #36
grecefar

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
As for the young piano boy, I'm sure when we were all in elementary or primary school, there were classmates who were misfits. When you go deeper into their livelihoods and personalities, they often find an escape of some sort that calms them down or makes them happy. In this case, it was playing the piano, and boy this kid was good at it. He hated being interrupted and lashed out at his classmate and had negative thoughts during dinner. I am saddened at the prospect that post treatment, that kid is no longer the same, even if he can still play the piano and no longer has those uncontrollable rages.
but in real life if he keeps up with the rage it would've ended pretty badly not only for him but for his mother too.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-05, 00:08   Link #37
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

You've heard about people with ADHD and stuff who think differently than people without. And there are other ones too, like that one that makes you really friendly. As a result, these people excel at stuff that normal people may not.
Though treatment, they were able to treat his mental problems, but since he thinks more normally now, he isn't able to channel his frustration towards everything into playing the piano.

Well, however, he was clearly too destructive, so treatment was best for him. There are geniuses out there that are weird, but they aren't violent. He was.

Old 2023-08-05, 06:58   Link #38
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

How good at the piano do you have to be for this to be some kind of moral dilemma? He was surrounded by amazingly forgiving and friendly classmates, living in relatively privileged circumstances... and he was still a very violent child, who'd have grown up into a violent adult where his mom apologizing for him wouldn't have cut it anymore. And we're supposed to feel conflicted about him getting a treatment that's easy, painless, and almost free of side effects?
Old 2023-08-05, 11:18   Link #39
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

I don't know that we're "supposed to" think one way or the other. Maybe it's enough just to consider the question.

He reminds me very much of my nephew, or if I'm being honest, myself. The best answer, I think, would be to work with him on coping strategies and teaching him how to live in the world with other people. But that takes a lot of time and a lot of effort, and gee wouldn't it be so much easier if we could "retune" him? Don't we have it easier in the real world with drugs that supposedly do the same? But is that really better? That question might be the real point here.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-05, 13:39   Link #40
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

As the episode said, although the two methods used in this episode are for AIs, counseling and treating past trauma itself are methods of mental care
In that sense, even what the illegal doctor is doing doesn't really feel that illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And we're supposed to feel conflicted about him getting a treatment that's easy, painless, and almost free of side effects?
One thing I like about this anime is that it isn't really preachy. It doesn't really give that "You should feel this way or that way" vibe. I guess this comes from the anime showing stuff happening, but never following the story to a full conclusion