AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 10 43.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 34.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 13.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-20, 13:02   Link #21
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, it wasn't well-done. It added absolutely nothing to the episode. It didn't add anything that we haven't heard before or can't figure out on our own (like Tempester said last week, we're not brain-dead!) This episode, perhaps more than any other, should have been Aqours episode, all about them, leaving the OG entirely aside.
It was, I will not concede that point. Cut that nod out of Dia's speech, and the quiz in the second episode will have to go as it will destroy what has been established earlier about Dia and her personality.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 13:13   Link #22
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
It was, I will not concede that point.
No, it was not well-done.

Quote:
Cut that nod out of Dia's speech, and the quiz in the second episode will have to go as it will destroy what has been established earlier about Dia and her personality.
Just because Dia is a μ's fangirl doesn't mean she needs to mention them (or A-RISE) when comforting Aqours over a school idols-related disappointment. One does not necessitate the other.

I love the Montreal Canadiens. I'm a huge fan of them, and have been since the mid-90s. It doesn't mean I'm incapable of talking about hockey without also talking about the Montreal Canadiens (who, by the way, have won more Stanley Cups than any other NHL franchise, so they are a legendary team).
Old 2016-08-20, 13:16   Link #23
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
No, it wasn't well-done. It added absolutely nothing to the episode. It didn't add anything that we haven't heard before or can't figure out on our own (like Tempester said last week, we're not brain-dead!) This episode, perhaps more than any other, should have been Aqours episode, all about them, leaving the OG entirely aside.
I didn't mind that at all, but that's merely because of my personal preferences: I focus on the characters, which is why I got upset at episode 3 trying to tell us this girl is this Muse memeber's successor, but this reference did nothing of the sort. Also, saying they laid the foundations for what LL is in the present is not worshipping or pandering, its merely stating a fact, and, unlike the character references, it wasn't directed at the audience, but Chika and the others, who weren't as sure about it as the audience is. How can you speak of LL history without bringing up Muse? That'd come out as much weirder in my opinion.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 13:29   Link #24
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Also, saying they laid the foundations for what LL is in the present is not worshipping or pandering,
We don't need to hear that again and again. We've heard this all before. It was made abundantly clear in the first three episodes. We don't need to be reminded of it constantly.

Most of the rest of this episode I loved. The big Chika/group moment at the end was excellent. And it helped that this moment was truly about Aqours, and nobody else.

The big Kanan/Mari scene was wonderfully acted and animated, but it could have used more buildup, in my view. Still, it was a strong scene! And why did I like it? It was about Kanan and Mari.

Quote:
How can you speak of LL history without bringing up Muse?
How about the way Dia did it near the end of Episode 3 when she confronted Chika? Was that more subtle approach out of character for Dia? I didn't think so.
Old 2016-08-20, 13:39   Link #25
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
We don't need to hear that again and again. We've heard this all before. It was made abundantly clear in the first three episodes. We don't need to be reminded of it constantly.

Most of the rest of this episode I loved. The big Chika/group moment at the end was excellent. And it helped that this moment was truly about Aqours, and nobody else.

The big Kanan/Mari scene was wonderfully acted and animated, but it could have used more buildup, in my view. Still, it was a strong scene! And why did I like it? It was about Kanan and Mari.
Why wouldn't it be? Guess my different focus is affecting me here. Well, I just don't see it as much of an issue. Also, Mari probably thought just coming back and reminding Kanan of the old times by helping Chika and the others out would suffice to get her to try again. Unfortunately, she lacks Nozomi's insightfulness (Well, maybe not so unfortunately from a character standpoint).

Quote:
How about the way Dia did it near the end of Episode 3 when she confronted Chika? Was that more subtle approach out of character for Dia? I didn't think so.
When did this become about being out of character?
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 13:43   Link #26
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Just because Dia is a μ's fangirl doesn't mean she needs to mention them (or A-RISE) when comforting Aqours over a school idols-related disappointment. One does not necessitate the other.
She's an obsessive geek that studied even the details even advanced fans of the franchise have troubles remembering. The very same Dia that has been even complaining about the pronunciation of a single kanji.

As for your example, if you can avoid mentioning the team from a discussion about history of Stanley Cup, well, props to you, but I doubt it.

Quote:
It doesn't matter how often it was used. It's completely in-character for Dia; it confirms that the bar set by Muse and A-RISE has been moved up; and it doesnt take away from the episode by itself. There are episodes where the references, and nods, and parallels to OG run rampant and get annoying, but this is not one of them.

Quote:
Unless hammering the point home counts as subtle, Dia's never done anything subtle.
Old 2016-08-20, 13:53   Link #27
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
When did this become about being out of character?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
It doesn't matter how often it was used. It's completely in-character for Dia;
This is why I'm talking about what's out of character (or not) for Dia. Because R.Lock seems to be arguing that Dia not explicitly referencing μ's in this episode would be out-of-character for Dia. I disagree with R.Lock here, and one reason is this statement that Dia made to Chika near the end of Episode 3...

"This was successful only because of the efforts of previous school idols and the town's good will." - Dia, to Chika, Episode 3

This shows that Dia is capable of expressing school idol history in a subtle way.
Old 2016-08-20, 13:56   Link #28
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

rofl that bitchy duo talking big while they are also scrub 9th place
Old 2016-08-20, 13:58   Link #29
Yye1
Wide Right

^Better than 30th with no votes

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Yye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 14:04   Link #30
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
This is why I'm talking about what's out of character (or not) for Dia. Because R.Lock seems to be arguing that Dia not explicitly referencing μ's in this episode would be out-of-character for Dia. I disagree with R.Lock here, and one reason is this statement that Dia made to Chika near the end of Episode 3...

"This was successful only because of the efforts of previous school idols and the town's good will." - Dia, to Chika, Episode 3

This shows that Dia is capable of expressing school idol history in a subtle way.
Dia's speech is all about the growing scale of Love Live and how what would have been a winning entry in the first Love Live falls short of what is expected of idols in Sunshine. I don't see how Dia, out of everyone else, would just skip out on mentioning Muse and A-RISE in a situation like that.

As I said. It's not subtle. It's Dia taking a hammer and smashing the point home.
Old 2016-08-20, 14:18   Link #31
zeross87

how can people still don't understand and accept the fact that muse will be referenced over and over in every episode until the last.. its like that, they never hid it, that what sunshine is. like it or not doesn't matter, its like this. so please, no need to have this discussion over and over in every single episode thread (and i'm talking to both side here...)

for the actual episode itself, i think 0 votes was over the top dramatic but whatever. whzn st snow performence started i got the same feeling as watching a-rise, this "yep, girl, no way you can beat this" i reallly liked their song.

the rest of the episode was on verge of getting me displeased, a la honoka's depressing mode. glad riko came to save the day =) and yohane felling into the hole

i liked that dia finally explained her thinking instead of just flat refusal. i really hope that once integrated to the group kannan will be more like her old self as it would make me like her more.

and i liked that they put the result sheet on display like this, to remember where they started

and to finish : i really like her hair more like this

edit : i totally forgot to mention i liked the difference between how the actual "self control" song sounded and when we hear it with just vocal last week, i dunno why but i liked that part.
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 14:25   Link #32
grecefar

they may act like that but just like a-rise the last season the song is way better that the main group I admit that... anyway is just a step for aqours to come back next time and bitch slap them... now instead of dia being the b... now is kanan, way to go.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 15:22   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

I don't blame Kanan for walking by Mari like that.

The 3rd years screwed up royally before. Sure, I get why they did, but nonetheless, that must have been awfully embarrassing and painful. I'm not going to blame someone for not wanting anything else to do with an activity that hurt them that badly. Likewise, Dia is entirely justified in not wanting to get "back in the game".
Old 2016-08-20, 15:41   Link #34
Pen3

Finally an episode that i really like and the ChikaXRiko is strong. I can see why You would be jealous of Riko now and we gotten through all the 1st and second year issues, except for You. She is really loosing grounds against Riko being the childhood friend, but so far Chika has gone to Riko to release her feelings. This serious really needs less childish and more of this type of atmosphere. I feel that Riko brings that out just by her natural serious attitude with her own experience at piano competition and her interactions with Chika are always golden. I know you guys hate Muse comparisons, but she really reminds me of Umi. The beach scene in the end was the best and Riko is waifu material for real.

PS: I though the Saint Snow's song was really weak. I didn't like it at all, not even close to any of Aqours songs.

Last edited by Pen3; 2016-08-20 at 15:54.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 16:14   Link #35
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
Finally an episode that i really like and the ChikaXRiko is strong. I can see why You would be jealous of Riko now and we gotten through all the 1st and second year issues, except for You. She is really loosing grounds against Riko being the childhood friend, but so far Chika has gone to Riko to release her feelings. This serious really needs less childish and more of this type of atmosphere. I feel that Riko brings that out just by her natural serious attitude with her own experience at piano competition and her interactions with Chika are always golden. I know you guys hate Muse comparisons, but she really reminds me of Umi. The beach scene in the end was the best and Riko is waifu material for real.
My first time posting here.. Be kind to me hehe.

Okay, I COMPLETELY agree. I'm glad someone finally said this. Well, not the Riko is waifu part, because You is xD But yeah, You is definitely growing further away from Chika and Riko has taken her place. As sad as this seems, I'm glad to see it since I'm a Youhane shipper and I don't want You to be in the shadow of Chika forever.
SleepingTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 16:32   Link #36
Windy
Smug AF Birb

Send a message via MSN to Windy
Chika is closer to Riko than You due to a pretty obviously stated mentality likeness. (If you didn't catch it, check episodes 2 and 6)

The way they interact despite only having actually known each other for one season at most is why the two are my top two by miles (not that I don't like everyone else in the group!)
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 16:45   Link #37
Pen3

You can see You try to get Chika to open up a few times after the event, especially evident on the train ride back. With all her effort and still gets shut down.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 17:01   Link #38
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
Chika is closer to Riko than You due to a pretty obviously stated mentality likeness. (If you didn't catch it, check episodes 2 and 6)
I didn't.. And I still didn't.. Please educate this pleb here TTwTT
Unless you mean the yuri aspect? Not sure what you mean by mentality likeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
You can see You try to get Chika to open up a few times after the event, especially evident on the train ride back. With all her effort and still gets shut down.
That's true. Although I didn't see in that perspective, I saw it as in she was the only who noticed Chika was not being true to her feelings.

Last edited by SleepingTerror; 2016-08-20 at 17:02. Reason: moa reply
SleepingTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 17:04   Link #39
Seihai
スマイリウム

You's most significant scene was when she stared at her childhood photo of her and Chika. I think we're onto something here. Maybe she has some kind of complex or something happened in their childhood or she simply thinks about their current friendship versus back then. Whatever it may be, I'm hoping that that wasn't just a random scene but foreshadowing of something deeper. Honestly I'm not sure how much You story/character developemt/character exposition they can still fit till the end of this cour. Maybe next to none, and then they plan it for the next season or something. But we'll see.
Old 2016-08-20, 17:05   Link #40
grecefar

well even here the childhood friend loses.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote