AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 6 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 21.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 21.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-13, 14:24   Link #21
Windy
Smug AF Birb

Send a message via MSN to Windy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Did someone say chin in hand??

After taking that, Riko died from a massive nosebleed!

Im sad that the subtitle reference to the ED didn't cross my mind until I saw that post.
Old 2016-08-13, 14:24   Link #22
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Were the fat head plushies not good enough cameos for you????
That's not what I meant by cameos.

In any event - 2 seconds of μ's merchandise for the big trip to Tokyo? And that's all we see of μ's in any form? Even if I wasn't hoping for actual cameos, this would still seem awfully little to me.
Old 2016-08-13, 14:36   Link #23
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's not what I meant by cameos.

In any event - 2 seconds of μ's merchandise for the big trip to Tokyo? And that's all we see of μ's in any form? Even if I wasn't hoping for actual cameos, this would still seem awfully little to me.
now, that's just your own expectations disappointing you. it ain't the show's fault!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 14:41   Link #24
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
OH MY GOD! OH MY FUCKIN GOD!

Dia and Mari keep freakin dropping hints of what happened. I'm guessing they attended this event in Tokyo and something happened. Did they cave under pressure? Did they mess up? Did they pull a Honoka on the roof? It was definitely a turning point in their school idol career. AND WHERE IS KANAN. C'MON!
Not so fun fact: Kanan's seiyuu actually posted a twit regarding her absence this episode. Its getting actually sad.

Quote:
I love that they brought back the host with the glasses. And the scene with the stairs made me TEAR UP. God, I was not expecting stairs to make me feel this way. It's great it's become almost of a landmark similar to the "Rocky Steps" for Aquors.
Gotta admit that part did put a smile on my face, never really thought they'd use that place as a reference, even though we saw it so often in the original.

Quote:
Did someone say chin in hand??

Did the writers read those ikemen Honoka doujins? Because Chika sure is a natural at putting the moves on the ladies.

...actually, this could also be Chika teasing the hell out of Riko after finding out about her secret pastime, which also works.

Quote:
When it comes to this, I was disappointed. They mention μ's a lot, and they even mention Otonokizaka Academy some, but not a single named character from the original show makes even a brief cameo appearance (except, perhaps, what Windy showed in that screenshot, which I didn't even notice on initial watch).

This is now seven straight episodes of substantial μ's referencing, and when the girls actually go to Tokyo, they refuse to give us even a brief cameo by a notable character from the original show? In my view, it's a terrible tease. If they're not going to give us a μ's cameo, then shut up about them. This is just painfully teasing to me...
I'll admit I was expecting a bit more myself (hell, for a moment I thought that inn would be Honoka's place refurbished for whatever reason), but honestly, I'm not mad at the show for not going there, since its providing me with enough fun and likable characters-

Quote:
The Ruby/Dia and Mari/Dia scenes were very good. Some of the comedy was good. I'm glad to see Aqours get actual rivals, but their introduction was really over-the-top (figuratively and literally ).
I've mentioned this before, but Sunshine as a whole is more over the top, or do you imagine Kotori going from miko to maid through one episode?
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 14:45   Link #25
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Not so fun fact: Kanan's seiyuu actually posted a twit regarding her absence this episode. Its getting actually sad.

explain yourself. Why has the most dormant character in the show not reveal herself in this one??
Old 2016-08-13, 14:55   Link #26
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
explain yourself. Why has the most dormant character in the show not reveal herself in this one??
It was Dia's turn, I guess. And her scene with Mari was really good.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 14:57   Link #27
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

What did Kanan's VA tweet about?
Old 2016-08-13, 14:57   Link #28
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
now, that's just your own expectations disappointing you. it ain't the show's fault!
No, it is the show's fault. My hopes are based on the show's content to date.

And what is a significant chunk of that content? Heard and/or seen in every episode so far? This show refuses to shut up about μ's. Why do that if it's not going to go somewhere concrete and meaningful with those endless references? Without those references, my hopes would not be as high as they were, bordering on expectations.

For me, it's a horrible tease. And so in my view, it's fully deserving of criticism.

If you feel differently, then so be it. But nobody is obligated to like this show's creative choices, or agree with you on them, Blackstealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
I'll admit I was expecting a bit more myself (hell, for a moment I thought that inn would be Honoka's place refurbished for whatever reason), but honestly, I'm not mad at the show for not going there, since its providing me with enough fun and likable characters-
Well, I honestly am a little mad at this show. Fun and likeable characters are great, but they're seriously undermined when I'm constantly reminded of characters that I feel a stronger connection to than these new fun/likeable characters. And then, on top of that, teased by their non-appearance in spite of those endless references.
Old 2016-08-13, 15:06   Link #29
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

The girls seem very relax, bright-eye, and very country bumpkin (getting flashbacks of my cousin here lol) and not knowing the battlefield that is The Big City: Tokyo.

Dia, Mari, and Kanan survived, but they're still licking their wounds. This is going to be a rude awakening for the girls. Dia's sobering, yet supporting "Be Strong" quote to Ruby is going be brought up next week.

On that note, we got rivals! (Halfway through their song, I thought they were ClariS lol)

I don't think Saint Snow are going to be the friendly type like A-RISE. They look to be Grade A Level "Mean Girl" Saboteurs and Ria is sizing up the 1st Years exclusively. My prediction is she's going to be Yohane's (chunni) rival and she'll become a "Little Demon" in the future. The Reason? The Twin-tails gives it away.

I'm not surprise Riko likes Yuri. The quiet, reserve ones always do or that Yaoi.

Triple R, I understand what you're saying, but you can't have anyone from Muse show up this early in the game when the new girls are barely being established. They're not even a full group yet. The best thing they could do is have Muse show up at the end of the 1st Season or 2nd so Aqours won't get their wings clipped by the "Juggernaut of Tokyo". You have to remember it's their show now. They need to accomplish something or go through a struggle in order for a "Muse" to show up (you see what I did there) and maybe give them a little pep talk. You have to think of the long game here. Hopefully, they will meet each member individually.

That would be amazing.

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2016-08-13 at 15:20.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 15:39   Link #30
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:

And what is a significant chunk of that content? Heard and/or seen in every episode so far? This show refuses to shut up about μ's. Why do that if it's not going to go somewhere concrete and meaningful with those endless references? Without those references, my hopes would not be as high as they were, bordering on expectations.

For me, it's a horrible tease. And so in my view, it's fully deserving of criticism.

If you feel differently, then so be it. But nobody is obligated to like this show's creative choices, or agree with you on them, Blackstealth.
I'm not saying you can't hate it. It doesn't bother me that you hate the absence of any u's appearances, but I think it's unfair that you're pinning your frustrations on the so called "teases" because of your own expectations. You've endured all the callbacks and throwbacks all this time, so you were expecting for it to pay off somehow with a cameo appearance. I don't know how that crossed your mind to begin with, but there isn't a text book saying that myriads of references would result in a cameo. And if one of the 9 really did show up, what good would that do towards the argument of Sunshine trying to differentiate itself from the original series? Some people keep harping that this show has an identity crisis that's trying to work off the original show's success. It's all expectations deceiving you.

Don't blame the show because it missed the mark for you in that regard. You can blame the people involved with the show that didn't make things clear and set expectations for the audience before the show was broadcast. We all came in blind with Sunshine, knowing rarely anything about it and how much it would tie in with the original series. That evidently led to people thinking things and ultimately disappointing themselves.
Old 2016-08-13, 15:49   Link #31
Nork22

Quote:

For me, it's a horrible tease. And so in my view, it's fully deserving of criticism..
Not enough μ's references/cameos, people complain. Too much μ's references/cameos and people still complain. Nothing against you Triple_R, but it feels like the show can't catch a break from μ's fans.
Old 2016-08-13, 17:13   Link #32
Rias

I'm not too big about Sunshine riding the whole μ's train either, but best feels of this episode all came stem from that:

1. Kanda Myojin stairs. Was kind of hoping Nozomi would show up.
2. Train turning corner at the station where μ's were crying in season 2.
3. Reporter girl.

And what's with Kanan not getting any appearances every odd episode (except first episode)?
Old 2016-08-13, 17:20   Link #33
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I like how they introduced the rivals this early in the series. They're not renowned like A-RISE and are probably on the same ranking order too. This is going to be real fun to watch Aqours start from the ground up and make their way to the top.

For some reason, I don't think Saint Snow will be the biggest challengers to the LL crown. I'm still hoping for either Midnight Cats to show up or maybe another 9 girl group to be their true rivals. Anything can happen at this point and I hope they focus more on the competition aspect of LL and meeting other idols compared to the original series. This was something I wanted see happen, but they can do it here.

I think Aqours is the biggest under dog in not only the LL competition, but in idol (anime) fandom in general. They have to take on an impossible legacy and forge their own name while being a rural up and coming idol group. Now they have to take on the Top Idols from all over Japan in Muse's stomping ground, who are also the Gold Standard for School Idols. The odds are stacked against them even more so than Muse in every way. That's why by the end of the series, when they succeed, the impact might actually be stronger due to them coming from a small rural sea village while dreaming big. For some reason, this reminds me of a Drake song.

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2016-08-13 at 17:43.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 17:46   Link #34
Seihai
スマイリウム

Bad thing is I wasn't as excited as usual when watching this episode. But the good thing is that that's because there are numerous very intruiging character aspects that I was focused on for the enitirety of the episode.

For one, we really feel the country bumpkins here with Aquors. This kind of pureness and immaturity like with the ridiculous outfits and their being distracted by the next closest thing in Tokyo feels quite new and unique to me.

It doesn't help that they're all very young alas there is no 3rd year with them that can actively watch over them. Riko is pushed with that task, however she is obviously not quite a leader person to begin with as we can see her simply going with the flow and just nodding towards everyone doing their own thing (coming back to this later). And then she has her own internal conflict with Tokyo as a whole and specifically Otonokizaka High. She told Chika about her feelings, but this definitely didn't feel like "problem solved" so there's still lots of room for character exposure/development.

It was fun seeing everyone become overly ecstatic and sink into their own world. I didn't see the Riko one coming... chin in hand? What? However as fun as it was, I was really torn apart (no pun intended) since this showcased that everyone isn't quite unified yet. They're totally out of sync. I don't know if Chika already considers herself the leader in general, but the saddest thing either way will be her realization that right now she does not have the power to get everyone on the same wavelength without neglecting anyone.

And this brings me to Ruby. Poor girl...! Most of my sympathy goes to her, because stage fright is real. And with real I don't mean the normal real, but like, just remember her reaction when Chika first touched her. How is she gonna deal with this? There's no doubt that Akiba Dome is a hurdle that Ruby in particular is absolutely not going to handle. Heck, when did Muse have a live in Akiba Dome? Exactly... (Yes, I watched the movie).

Back to the issue where everyone sinks into their own world. Each of the girls have their own personal conflict which gives everyone a certain kind of depth that I can appreciate. Muse had that as well, but Aquors I believe struggle to fight their own fight from the very beginning and that's not gonna end well for them if none of them step it up a bit. Of course, it can't be helped they feel anxious already with how big the Love Live! has become since 5 years ago. The dimensions have changed drastically since then. Ultimately it is a good thing that LL! became such a big thing thanks to Muse, but this also means there will be many more tragedic cases like with Dia's idol trio back then. And then I can easily see Aquors, as they are now, being completely crushed by Saint Snow who I assume want to follow the footsteps of A-RISE in a way.

Anyway, we all know things aren't going to have a bad end when the show is literally called Sunshine (they practically have Honoka's blessing), but it's quite impressive to me how well they present everyone's conflicts. There are just so many cog wheels Chika set in motion with her own very small starter wheel. She will learn to take responsibility the hardest way possible, I presume, heh.
Old 2016-08-13, 18:07   Link #35
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork22 View Post
Not enough μ's references/cameos, people complain. Too much μ's references/cameos and people still complain. Nothing against you Triple_R, but it feels like the show can't catch a break from μ's fans.
Sunshine!! is trying to have it both ways. At least The Lost World and The Force Awakens know how different or similar they want to be

But my trouble with the μ's references is how it smothers a really good show. It's like the writers are using it as a crutch when Sunshine!! doesn't need it
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 19:18   Link #36
Wandering Soul

Ruby and Dia scenes are always nice. I really do enjoy all there scenes together.

I have a hard time seeing Aqurs as they are now beating Saint Snow. The girls have their problems and they aren't exactly in sync.

I get that Saint Snow wants to come off as a threat, but what was with all the acrobatics? I guess that was just the show being over the top as usual.
Old 2016-08-13, 19:28   Link #37
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
I get that Saint Snow wants to come off as a threat, but what was with all the acrobatics? I guess that was just the show being over the top as usual.
That and I can see Ria's sportiness become a lasting gag down the road where she just randomly decides to do over the top movements in reaction to whatever.
Old 2016-08-13, 19:58   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post

Triple R, I understand what you're saying,
Thank you for that. And for what it's worth, I get your points as well. I'm glad we at least agree it would be cool for Aqours to meet μ's, perhaps even on an individual one-to-one level.

Quote:
You've endured all the callbacks and throwbacks all this time, so you were expecting for it to pay off somehow with a cameo appearance. I don't know how that crossed your mind to begin with,
Suppose you had a new Teen Titans cartoon, and each and every episode they talk about how much they love the Justice League, up to and including Aqualad fangasming over his Aquaman photo collection and Superboy/Wondergirl singing 3 Doors Down's Kryptonite song. Then after six episodes straight of this, Episode 7 is all about a big booyah! trip to Gotham City! ...Let's be real here, viewers would definitely be expecting Batman to show up after all of this. Or, at the very least, a major character from the Batman universe (Joker, Gordon, Catwoman, etc.)

Couldn't we have been given an appearance by Kotori's mom, at least? Or Yukiho? Or Tsubasa Kira? Anyway, if my Teen Titans analogy isn't enough to get my point across, then I don't know what will. So this will probably be my last post on this.

Quote:
And if one of the 9 really did show up, what good would that do towards the argument of Sunshine trying to differentiate itself from the original series?
Interacting with one of the 9 could nicely highlight personality differences between μ's and Aqours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork22 View Post
So you don't consider yourself a μ's fan, Nork?

Nork, do you really not get why I would have different hopes/expectations for a Tokyo trip episode than I would for a "back at home" Sunshine episode?

Here's what I would have liked most - Episode 1 is fine the way it is. Good start! Episode 2 keeps Dia's amusing fangirling, but some other μ's references would be removed. μ's is not brought up in Episodes 3 through 6. Then here in Episode 7, μ's comes back in a big way, with a much bigger celebration of them. That would feel wonderfully special.

As is, this big Tokyo trip strikes me as having less μ's love than episodes 1, 2, and 4 had. So for the big trip to μ's home city, the amount of μ's love feels like just a normal/average amount for a Sunshine episode. That just feels a little lame to me, sorry.

Anyway, at least I did feel a pang of sadness over Ruby's slight panic near the end of this episode. That was a strong moment.
Old 2016-08-13, 20:27   Link #39
Nork22

Quote:
So you don't consider yourself a μ's fan, Nork?
Honestly, I'm now less a μ's fan since there is really nothing left outside of the manga and short stories plus some bits of merchandise, and I'm going along with being an Aqours fan.

Quote:
Nork, do you really not get why I would have different hopes/expectations for a Tokyo trip episode than I would for a "back at home" Sunshine episode?
No, I do get why your expectations were dashed with this episode. It's just that at the same time, the stuff I read outside of AS are of people moaning that there's not enough μ's cameos or that "OMG it's Akihabara! μ's must show up!". This amused me in a weird way. But yeah I'm not disappointed that there's no actual μ's members showing up, but I loved how they showcased some landmarks of Akiba that μ's has been using. Plus, it's not like Akiba is μ's territory, it was mainly A-RISE territory. And having been to Akiba myself over a few years, it's a place filled with many distractions and I can enjoyed (and relate to) the silly moments when these country girls went "missing" in the land filled with dreams.

For those who are interested, here are the groups that were invited to perform.
Old 2016-08-13, 20:34   Link #40
kitten320

Quote:

Nope, it is your expectation. Why exactly would Muse make an appearance now when Aquas are pretty much no one?

It's not even the biggest competition/stage yet. It's like qualification stage. If Muse is ever going to appear, it will be during big Love Live showdown when they all might decide to have a get together and watch the show nostalgia wise.

They are grown ups in University, possibly even fully employed and half of them is most likely not even in Tokyo. They don't have free time to just watch small shows.

IF they appear, it will be towards the end of the series. At this stage, maximum you can hope for is one member appearance in a background and even that is a bit of a stretch.