2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-24, 14:11   Link #21
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMancer View Post
Video quality is atrocious, what the hell. I couldn't even see the white whale.
HQ isn't out yet and yeah, it was super bad quality

-------------

About episode 17, holy shit this was amazing. Subaru literally is not even close to what he was at the beginning of the series, we can see how all of the things that happened to him and the people close to him has actual impact, there is development and progression on Subaru as a character and this is something you wont see pretty often.

The white whale and Betelgeuse, god this is painful, how Subaru is gonna get away from this without anyone by his side and especially considering Emilia can't help him. At least we saw Puck being badass this episode and finally became part of this fight but I guess is only for now since Subaru needs to die again to reset and get Rem back.. right...RIGHT?

Who is Rem? this literally killed me.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 14:23   Link #22
moridin84
Custom User Title

- That's surprising, I thought he'd be killed by the whale but he got all the way to the manision
- Rem constantly sacrificing herself for Subaru is getting old. Rather than being selfless, I'm starting to see it as something she's doing for her own sense of self-satisfaction.
- It's going to be pretty awkward between Subaru and Otto next they meet.
- I was shocked at how calm Ram was, initially. Then it makes sense. It's really cruel.
- I actually took my headphones off when Subaru kept telling Emilia to just do as she said. That was pretty unpleasant.
- The scene Subaru/Emilia did seem like a repeat of the previous one but that isn't the case. "Why are you crying and seem to be in such pain" as Emilia said
- Oh yeah, Roswaal isn't in the mansion, I was thinking he'd at least confront Subaru
- It seems like Subaru did actually become friends with Beatrice. On the other hand, she doesn't care about Emila in any way whatsoever. It makes sense but it was kind of jarring.
- Killing Emilia instead of killing Subaru is probably just a way to stop Subaru from using it to commit suicide. The show seems to be entirely against the "easy route" of Subaru killing himself when things don't go his way
- Subaru still isn't dead

I was thinking that each of Subaru's deaths was getting worse and worse but this time won't be too bad. He's probably just going to be killed by Puck. Not good but certainly better than being tortured.

If the next episode title is "From Zero" then I suppose this is where Subaru is going to start turning things around. Which will certainly be nice. No idea what exactly he's going to do that, though.

And just to cheer myself up. From a happier episode...
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 14:24   Link #23
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I swear to god, every episode creates more questions than it answers.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 14:30   Link #24
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Did anyone think he was in an illusion brought about by the White Whale? I mean, how could EVERYONE forget about Rem aside from Subaru?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
If the next episode title is "From Zero" then I suppose this is where Subaru is going to start turning things around. Which will certainly be nice. No idea what exactly he's going to do that, though.
GOD, I hope so =01. Seeing him anxiously/furiously prattle about other people being useless or uncooperative even though he has zero capabilities himself is starting to get REALLY annoying =02. Usually it doesn't go for too long before he starts getting a handle on the situation, so it hasn't been a bother, but seeing it week after week after week, its kinda getting on my nerves.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 14:34   Link #25
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Did anyone think he was in an illusion brought about by the White Whale? I mean, how could EVERYONE forget about Rem aside from Subaru?

GOD, I hope so =01. Seeing him anxiously/furiously prattle about other people being useless or uncooperative even though he has zero capabilities himself is starting to get REALLY annoying =02. Usually it doesn't go for too long before he starts getting a handle on the situation, so it hasn't been a bother, but seeing it week after week after week, its kinda getting on my nerves.
From my understanding the white whale erases all memory of person it consumes. Since it consumed Rem everyone forgets who she is.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 14:35   Link #26
Applehell

Wow to lose the one you love and the one loves you in one day regardless of what you did must beyond horrible. In someways far worse than ep 15 due how much more personal it is for Subaru.

Oh and I think it should be pretty obivious Otto was killed by Witch Cult member, if look closely at the swords. Going on that train of thought if the White Whale erases victims how is previous gen's Sword Saint still remembered? Maybe they have records his or her name?
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 14:41   Link #27
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
From my understanding the white whale erases all memory of person it consumes. Since it consumed Rem everyone forgets who she is.
Did Subaru go into Rem's room and find it unoccupied though?
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 14:45   Link #28
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

It doesn't just erase memories. It erases traces of that person ever existing, period.
Notice Rem's room didn't look like it was ever used by her?
Old 2016-07-24, 14:50   Link #29
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Did Subaru go into Rem's room and find it unoccupied though?
Did you not watch the episode?

It's pretty obvious that everyone who die by the White Whale get forgotten, as was proven already in the previous episode when one of the riders disappeared and Otto immediately commented that no one was riding there to begin with.

Dunno how White Whale can make everything related to that person disappear as well like items and whatnot but lets call it plot I suppose.

To that end the Sword Saint should not be remembered even if there were records of him because those records should not exist if he was consumed by White Whale. But perhaps that is the key? The person must be '' eaten '' by the whale? Whereas if the Sword Saint just got killed in action but his body was left behind he was thus not forgotten.

(Who is this Sword Saint anyway? When Otto mentioned him it seemed like Subaru knew who they were talking about but how could he? I don't think it's been ever mentioned before?)
Old 2016-07-24, 14:50   Link #30
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Oh and I think it should be pretty obivious Otto was killed by Witch Cult member, if look closely at the swords. Going on that train of thought if the White Whale erases victims how is previous gen's Sword Saint still remembered? Maybe they have records his or her name?
Personally, I thought it was ironic. He pushed Subaru to save himself and then gets killed off by the Witch's Cult. As for the Sword Saint, either Moby Dick didn't eat him or someone else close by did the guy in. Remember, the Witch's Cult are close enough that Otto got ganked.
Old 2016-07-24, 14:53   Link #31
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Or maybe he didnt get killed by the whale.

Good episode, the despair levels were off the chart!
Old 2016-07-24, 14:58   Link #32
zero7090

So main char continue to go full retard.

I keep hoping he would be any smarter than the previous arc but nope. He goes around crying about impossible thing in a magical world which his power is revive after dying. He don't even fcking try to ask "what is the white whale and its power" like in ep 9. Heck in that ep he knew how to talk to Ram-Rem into believing him without saying anything.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 15:03   Link #33
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
So main char continue to go full retard.

I keep hoping he would be any smarter than the previous arc but nope. He goes around crying about impossible thing in a magical world which his power is revive after dying. He don't even fcking try to ask "what is the white whale and its power" like in ep 9. Heck in that ep he knew how to talk to Ram-Rem into believing him without saying anything.
Seriously? Read Aohiges post, no one knows about the white whales power because all traces of that person existing is gone when it's eaten so they don't know what happens to the person whose eaten.
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 15:16   Link #34
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Send a message via MSN to Apache Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to Apache Thunder
The real question is....Why doesn't Suburu end up forgetting the people the whale consumed like everyone else?

Maybe the whale knew of his ability somehow and didn't eat him. The whole erasing him from time could have conflicted with his return by death ability and create a paradox maybe? So the whale decided it was bad idea to try and consume him. That or he gets energy from eating someone's "existance" and somehow the whale sensed he could not erase Suburu's existence because of his return by death ability, so he left him be. (Whale probably didn't know he had return by death specifically, only that eating him would not have benefited him at all. He doesn't necessarily have to know why. :P )

I have cameras in your head!
Apache Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 15:17   Link #35
BladeMancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache Thunder View Post
The real question is....Why doesn't Suburu end up forgetting the people the whale consumed like everyone else?
I don't want to spoil here. If you want I can PM you.
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
Old 2016-07-24, 15:22   Link #36
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Wow to lose the one you love and the one loves you in one day regardless of what you did must beyond horrible. In someways far worse than ep 15 due how much more personal it is for Subaru.
Indeed! The frustration level Subaru must be suffering is probably over 9000! Literally, Emilia seems to have died because he was telling her the truth about what he can do...lol... i mean, that is just messed up. I guess the chances of Emilia being the witch dropped a few points because of that. Plus the cult is also trying to kill her. I believe Emilia is an existance that somehow can destroy the cult/Witch and her being so similar in appearance to Satella is probably part of the answer. Something to do with her origin. I'm very curious about this but i doubt it will get explored in this arc. Maybe in the season 2 if White Fox doesn't decide to ruin the anime with an original ending like they did with Akame Ga Kill. That would be a low blow after such a great work so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
Good episode. Again we get to see a lot of despair here. There are many new things here that need to be elaborated on. Why didn't those hands grab Subaru's heart like always? Why does Emilia die instead? Betty acted a bit strange, just how much does she actually know? Why did the White Whale let Subaru live? Mist shrouds things in mystery so I'm certain the erasure of Rem's existance along with some others are probably the Whale's ability. I wonder if there is a counter to that. Judging from that one scene in the OP sequence Subaru will definitely do better at recruiting at least 1 faction to help him take care of the White Whale in the next loop so I'm looking forward to that. This episode packs a lot of food for thought, I must say.
I was asking myself the same. This arc sure knows how to build an interesting mystery about what the hell is happening. The hype is real for the next episode. It wil probably be at the same level or even better compared to episode 15! Plus, can't wait to see Puck destroying those cultist bastards. Unseen that Betelgeuse!!
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 15:22   Link #37
BladeMancer

Also this just in
People are calling this the new "Boku dake" because of Rem taking the spotlight

Old 2016-07-24, 15:23   Link #38
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Did you not watch the episode?

To that end the Sword Saint should not be remembered even if there were records of him because those records should not exist if he was consumed by White Whale. But perhaps that is the key? The person must be '' eaten '' by the whale? Whereas if the Sword Saint just got killed in action but his body was left behind he was thus not forgotten.

(Who is this Sword Saint anyway? When Otto mentioned him it seemed like Subaru knew who they were talking about but how could he? I don't think it's been ever mentioned before?)
Because Subaru knows the current Sword Saint, Reinhardt, and can't imagine someone like him being defeated by anything ever.
The previous Sword Saint was killed by the whale. Or so it is told.

As for you not knowing the phrase... crunchyroll poorly chose the translation of "Master Swordsman" instead of Sword Saint, despite the fact the word being a normal existing title in our world.
Old 2016-07-24, 15:24   Link #39
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
We can assume that since Reinhard got the title of Sword Saint, Subaru got a rough idea of what kind of powers/skills a knight would have with that kind of title.
Old 2016-07-24, 15:25   Link #40
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Send a message via MSN to Apache Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to Apache Thunder
Also, Subaru couldn't see the hands from the crazy villain guy who's name I will never be able to spell correctly to even attempt in the episode where he kills Rem. But now he can see the hands...

So he has a lingering ability from accidentally killing Emilia after the what I assume to be the Witches "unseen" hands coming out and seemingly killing Emilia. Previous "attempts" of him trying to tell others of his ability weren't as forceful, so the Witch didn't manifest quite as dramatically as she did this time.

This further shrouds the Witch's intent as well since if Emilia was important to the Witch in some way, she wouldn't have killed Emilia. But maybe the Witch can't kill Subaru the same way the other characters can (perhaps if the Witch kills him, it's permanent and she still needs him alive). So instead she kills Emilia knowing it will force Saburu to kill himself to reset things again.

I would bet though if the Witch killed him instead, it would have been permanent and the the Witch must have known by know that the cult was coming to kill Emilia.

That's my rough idea on the situation as I believe it to be thus far.

I have cameras in your head!
Apache Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote