4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-10-31, 20:04   Link #21
s07195
However,

Yep, this show's a keeper. I'm still intrigued by the mechanics of how the G-Self works. This time, Reflector mode gets charged up Absorb Shield style and Discharges in a Phoenix-shaped gas formation.

Glad to see them actually taking down extra data and planning their escape though this time it didn't work. Bellri is really out of the loop by now, his mother does know what the Capital Army is, and she isn't happy.
Old 2014-11-01, 01:57   Link #22
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenox View Post
This show is good but it is strange at times right? Seriously though I cant be the only one feeling this way can I?
It's whimsical, I think. I came in expecting little since the last few Gundam series went past me, and have initially found it... chaotic to say the least. I'm finding it difficult to track what's happening, what people's motives are, or why certain decisions are made.
Old 2014-11-01, 01:58   Link #23
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post

Anyway, this was a really good episode and I'm glad to see this series getting better and better, even though it's been losing quite a bit of its viewership.
#3 had a 2.3 rating, which is up from a 1.5 for 1&2 and is certainly better than TRY's 1.9. How is that losing viewership?
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 03:17   Link #24
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
If this was the kind of show we had in the first few episodes I think there'd be less people who just shrugged and gave up on it. If you recognize the show being completely random at the start should be able to see why people wouldn't consider it worth their time.
"Random" meaning it looked like a "festival" of ideas, but what was happening in the story has never been an issue for me, I just always assumed we'll get the answers eventually. Every bit of information we got about what was happening was told in a "by the way" way, which yes, some people do have a problem with. But I don't think it's coincidental that people who have these issues also prefer Gundam SEED and newer Gundam shows over the UC-ones or this one.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 12:51   Link #25
Psyco Diver

I dunno, I like the show alot, but its lacking something. Like everyone is to upbeat considering that their at war and that a even great ?enemy? is coming. I'm not saying it has to be emo, but it kinda feels 'first half ZZ' like.
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 21:23   Link #26
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
"Random" meaning it looked like a "festival" of ideas, but what was happening in the story has never been an issue for me, I just always assumed we'll get the answers eventually. Every bit of information we got about what was happening was told in a "by the way" way, which yes, some people do have a problem with. But I don't think it's coincidental that people who have these issues also prefer Gundam SEED and newer Gundam shows over the UC-ones or this one.
Can I ask what exactly you're basing that on because I've not noticed any such pattern. I definitely like UC Gundam shows more than SEED and that even includes this one, but there's no doubt in my mind that it's in spite of Tomino's "by the way" narrative, not because of it. And I find it difficult to see any advantages to it anyway. The whole "by the way" narrative is one of the main reasons why it's so needlessly difficult to engage with the show because everything besides the action just lacks any sort of impact, making important scenes unmemorable. I doubt that's supposed to be intentional either.

And it certainly doesn't help that the pacing is so blisteringly fast. Every episode feels the need to showcase one skirmish that roughly takes up half the episode and I really don't think there needs to be that much action. Ironically, it's the action that I currently like the most because they're well choreographed but I'd still much rather that the story slowed down and just focused on the characters and their backgrounds a bit more. The scene where Bellri is mortified after killing Dell was good but could have been masterpiece level had they given Dell and his relationship with Bellri some proper focus (not to mention actually explore why Bellri is staying on the ship from his perspective in the first place, instead of having the pink haired girl inform us). At the end of the day I'm liking the show but it's clear to me that it could've been a lot better. It's all well and good saying that we'll get explanations eventually but I'm certain the story would be better off giving us that sort of information now.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 22:44   Link #27
fr3@ky_g

Another form of hygiene IN SPACE this time. Dental care.
fr3@ky_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 03:19   Link #28
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Can I ask what exactly you're basing that on because I've not noticed any such pattern. I definitely like UC Gundam shows more than SEED and that even includes this one, but there's no doubt in my mind that it's in spite of Tomino's "by the way" narrative, not because of it. And I find it difficult to see any advantages to it anyway. The whole "by the way" narrative is one of the main reasons why it's so needlessly difficult to engage with the show because everything besides the action just lacks any sort of impact, making important scenes unmemorable. I doubt that's supposed to be intentional either.
I mostly look at the end result, with discussion being poor compared to those other Gundam shows. I think the crucial appeal of newer mecha shows is that they generate a lot of discussion, either by shock and controversy or deliberately added contradictions. Direction plays a big part in this as well. I'd also make it a point that G-Reco is story-oriented, so the viewer has to put more effort into following the story instead of being provided a nice lil' info dump, so he can concentrate on characters. Taking that into account, it's a matter of how much a viewer wants to invest into following the story, as opposed to wanting an excuse for communication.

I agree, the "by the way" approach puts off many people and could be tweaked just a little bit, but I think the show is banking to win them over with superior technical merit and force them that this too is one way to tell a story. I'd go so far as to argue that the basic approach is perfect for the type of theme that's central to the show, which is the sweeping and indiscriminate notion of war. Bellri's switching sides and beliefs makes me imagine how people probably felt when they got dragged into previous wars, but that's a different discussion.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 08:41   Link #29
Gundamx

didn't people say GBF > G rec?

from 4chan(amazon)
Quote:
***,**8位/***,**8位 ◎ (**6,413 pt) [*,102予約] 2015/03/25 Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works
***,*78位/***,*79位 ★ (***,602 pt) [*,*49予約] 2014/12/24 SHIROBAKO
***,*89位/***,*87位 ★ (**5,203 pt) [*,*29予約] 2014/12/26 Amagi Brilliant ParkAmagi Brilliant Park
***,*94位/***,*90位 ★ (*11,867 pt) [*,*30予約] 2014/12/25 Gundam G no Reconguista
***,100位/***,102位 ★ (**1,883 pt) [*,*14予約] 2014/12/24 Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo
***,137位/***,146位 ★ (***,840 pt) [*,**2予約] 2015/01/21 Yowamushi Pedal GRANDE ROAD
***,158位/***,147位 ★ (***,866 pt) [*,**5予約] 2015/01/28 Mushishi S2
***,164位/***,193位 ★ (***,538 pt) [*,**6予約] 2014/12/17 Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru
***,216位/***,189位 ★ (**1,047 pt) [*,**3予約] 2014/12/17 Psycho-Pass Season 2
***,222位/***,258位 ○ (***,983 pt) [*,**1予約] 2015/01/21 Yowamushi Pedal GRANDE ROAD
***,277位/***,248位 ★ (***,776 pt) [*,**2予約] 2014/12/17 Psycho-Pass Season 2
***,311位/***,325位 ★ (***,947 pt) [*,**8予約] 2015/01/28 Log Horizon S2
***,321位/***,288位 ★ (**1,316 pt) [*,*14予約] 2014/12/25 Grisaia no Kajitsu
***,339位/***,302位 ★ (**1,009 pt) [*,**3予約] 2014/12/24 Madan no Ou to Vanadis
***,377位/***,352位 ◎ (**1,682 pt) [*,*17予約] 2015/03/27 Gundam Build Fighters Try
***,389位/***,410位 ★ (***,458 pt) [*,*19予約] 2014/12/26 Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu.
***,431位/***,404位 ★ (***,235 pt) [*,*13予約] 2015/01/16 Danna ga Nani
***,454位/***,581位 ★ (***,388 pt) [*,**5予約] 2015/02/25 Selector spread WIXOSS」BOX1
***,497位/***,531位 ★ (***,480 pt) [*,*84予約] 2014/12/02 Sega Hard Girls Hi☆sCoool! Seha Girls
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 09:14   Link #30
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

GBF:T isn't supposed to rake up the DVD/BD sales since its purpose is different from G-Reco's. GBF is a gateway series for the younger people to be aware of the gunpla, G-Reco is an Anniversary offering from Gundam's creator himself.

I really am seriously requesting to make comparing both shows a bannable offense, since it doesn't really serve a purpose besides bragging rights and ego-checking.
Old 2014-11-02, 11:15   Link #31
Elder

You might want to tell Sunrise that. The money they spent making TRY has to be recouped through things like BD sales. Bandai being Uncle Warbucks and writing blank checks to Sunrise/Toei/etc is really an outdated and quaint notion that is fast proving to be false in recent years.
Old 2014-11-02, 12:35   Link #32
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder View Post
You might want to tell Sunrise that. The money they spent making TRY has to be recouped through things like BD sales. Bandai being Uncle Warbucks and writing blank checks to Sunrise/Toei/etc is really an outdated and quaint notion that is fast proving to be false in recent years.
Bandai owns Sunrise, so it's a different situation than Toei. And for Bandai, the toy department is still the bread and butter of the company. So not sure what you say is true.

BF wasn't a big BD seller (maybe barely enough to recoup the costs) but yet they found it ok to fund a sequel. Why? Because of the model sales.
Old 2014-11-02, 13:08   Link #33
kuroihikari2

Yep. GBF was a toy commercial that went better than expected, and I think they hope Try follows in the same vein. There's a reason why they chose to simulcast the first season on Youtube for free even though it was a new show.

Back on topic, are the mirrors disintegrating combat damage or are they generated by the pack?
kuroihikari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 13:40   Link #34
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Bandai owns Sunrise, so it's a different situation than Toei.
No. Bandai owns a large share of Toei too. Though not a majority share obviously.

Quote:
BF wasn't a big BD seller (maybe barely enough to recoup the costs)
I have never heard that they were a disappointment. Rather all the things I have heard was that they were good (and obviously good enough to justify a sequel). Again all indicators show that pursuing toy sales at the expense of everything else is not their singular strategy and is something imo clearly a fan model of how Bandai and its production companies work.
Old 2014-11-02, 16:04   Link #35
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder View Post
No. Bandai owns a large share of Toei too. Though not a majority share obviously.
I know, but there's a gigantic difference between owning a wholly owned subsidiary like Sunrise and owning shares in a publically traded company like Toei in terms of prioritizing the funding of projects.

Quote:
I have never heard that they were a disappointment. Rather all the things I have heard was that they were good (and obviously good enough to justify a sequel). Again all indicators show that pursuing toy sales at the expense of everything else is not their singular strategy and is something imo clearly a fan model of how Bandai and its production companies work.
BD sales for BF weren't that hot at all. Much worse than most other Gundam series (with the exception of Gundam Age). Including the likes of X and Turn A. Not to mention TV ratings were the worse ever for a daytime airing Gundam TV series, and that's taking into account SD Gundam Force and Sangokudan.
Old 2014-11-02, 16:45   Link #36
Cao Ni Ma

Yeah, BF is essentially a giant commercial to sell plastic models, which is funnily enough the reason why sunrise focuses on mech shows in the first place.

The advantage that BF has over other IPs in sunrise repertoire is that they can make old models look cool, which increases the sales of them. The molds are already done, no new engineering has to be made for them. Even the customized models use the same mold just with tiny cosmetic changes. This is extremely efficient for them and its the primary reason why BFT got green lit so fast despite BF doing so so rating/bd sales wise.
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-02, 16:50   Link #37
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

BD sales are secondary for Sunrise and Bandai anyway. Model sales are what make and break Gundam shows most of the time.
Old 2014-11-02, 16:52   Link #38
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
BD sales are secondary for Sunrise and Bandai anyway. Model sales are what make and break Gundam shows most of the time.
Basically why Sunrise didn't stick with Seed (which was literally printing money on the DVD end) a little longer... So yes.
Old 2014-11-02, 18:21   Link #39
Ryuuoh DeltaPlus
A Random Lurker

OK GUYS STOP TALKING ABOUT GBF: TRY IN THIS THREAD.
SERIOUSLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroihikari2 View Post
Back on topic, are the mirrors disintegrating combat damage or are they generated by the pack?
It was mentioned that the mirrors absorb incoming enemy beam attacks and convert it into energy for G-Self to use, though it cannot withstand prolonged attacks.
Old 2014-11-02, 23:03   Link #40
Dr. Dahm
Banned

I think there's sort of a failure to understand something here. Gundam BF airs at I believe 6:00 on Wednesdays and is therefore a daytime show which pretty much as a rule never target or receive disc buyers but rather make their money through merchandise and/or as commercials for the source work. If you ever look at old sales charts from before there started being anime aired at after midnight in the early 2000's you'll see almost nothing that ever actually sold enough to chart, it just wasn't a market for that when it came to TV since you didn't really have adult otaku willing to spend money on premium discs. OVA's obviously were always a different case since that was the only real source, but for TV, not so much.

Basically the fact that Gundam BF Try is even a noticeable seller at all is because it's a Boxset and because of the side demographics it picked up, no doubt with Fumina and Mirai.

Oh and I think some people don't realize just how big a multimedia company Bandai is. They make everything from arcade cabinets to console video games to music to anime and of course toys and model kits which tend to support the another and keep properties and revenue in house as much as possible. I think they even have their own amusement parks. They're pretty vertically and horizontally integrated for a company dealing in anime. This is why they can and often do loss lead one wing of their business if they feel it will lead to a boom in another wing of their business like say model kits or video game sales.
Dr. Dahm is offline   Reply With Quote