4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-10-24, 05:30   Link #21
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Enjoyable, the show still feels messy but I like learning about the world bit by bit.

For me Aida's expressing her feeling was the best part of the episode, that moment made the development of Bell and her relationship something that I am really looking for to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
I remember that (and I've seen many people make that prediction), but I guess I was more referencing the prediction that Bellri will be the one to kill them both, which seems like it'll come true.

BTW... If the top of the Capital Tower is connected to Towasanga, and Towasanga is on the moon... How does that work exactly? Very curious.
If that is the case, the parts can't be connected all the time. Maybe it has a period of where it is separated? Though that would be highly inefficient. Or maybe it has a type of circular track that just goes around the earth?
Old 2014-10-24, 05:41   Link #22
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
For me Aida's expressing her feeling was the best part of the episode, that moment made the development of Bell and her relationship something that I am really looking for to.
Have to agree with that. Wonder what will happen to get her to stop hating him.

Quote:
If that is the case, the parts can't be connected all the time. Maybe it has a period of where it is separated? Though that would be highly inefficient. Or maybe it has a type of circular track that just goes around the earth?
I think I remember an interview that said the base of the tower on Earth can be relocated, but I don't think they move it around the Earth to match the orbit of the moon or anything like that. Maybe you're right, the top of the tower meets the moon once a month, making each shipment of photon batteries that much more important?
Old 2014-10-24, 09:14   Link #23
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Man, I really like this episode because Tomino slows down a bit on the flow of the narrative. Yes, as a Tomino-veteran I can follow his narratve just fine, but him slowing down like this just makes it more enjoyable. And it's good that this episode confirm that Bellri & Noredo aren't just randomly joining the Pirates. Also, I don't know that Bellri hates the Capital Army so much that he's willing to engage them to defend the pirates he just met. The attempted escape next week should be interesting even though a big death flag for a certain character has already been raised high with the episode's title and what Bellri said in the pv.

I've been meaning to say this for a while and this episode just hit the spot, so I might as well do it now: I'm definitely in love with the visuals of this series. The rich and often-beautiful background images, a good mix of hand-drawn objects, environments and CG effects, decent animation of moving objects, and the detailed characters and mechas. Yes, I just said the characters are detailed even though the artists & animators are using the retro approach of thick-lined characters. I just like how they play with the lights, colors, and shadows which give more depth-perception to the exposured objects (especially the mechas). Many (if not majority) anime series nowadays sports some flat-looking visuals (see series produced by SHAFT, among others), so this old-school style is really a breath of fresh air. The visuals is just so rich in depth and colorful that adds 40% of my enjoyment of the show (unlike the simplified and colorful-but-flat Gundam AGE, for example).

Btw, am I the only one that thinks Klim & Raraiya are cute together? Also, as always, there are some hilarious moments here which some posters have addressed. Chief among them is when Bellri was fighting while the mechanic (Happa?) was stuck between the core's windshield and G-Self hollow space inside the chest. That's just LOL-funny for me. Raraiya playing with Klim's hair is also hilarious. All in all, another fun time watching G-Reco. This & GBF Try really made my week .
Old 2014-10-24, 09:58   Link #24
AverageFan

Those are some real laid back pirates. Just little their captives wonder around and even pilot a mech.At first i thought the transforming one the elf bull looked kind of lame but after sent what it can do its rather impressive. With those high speed cutting laser things am pretty sure it could do a bit of damage. The Ship Megafauna, Those fin wings it used for flight were nice. Give it a more organic look, like it was a flying fish. Hope to see more like it.
The episode as far as story goes at lest we are moving some where. So answer to what is happening will come soon.
AverageFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 13:27   Link #25
Mikethemaster

Location: Celebrating that Naruhina is cannon! :D Oh were I live Evansville Indiana
Way better than the other four episodes the pacing is nice and smooth this episode. I get that it for development but really Aida crying Cahill every episode is starting to get annoying, Cahill must of been amazing in bed because wee she just won't shut up about him. Klim and Raraiya are cute together, the childhood friend still annoying though.
Old 2014-10-24, 14:21   Link #26
Kora

What the hell happened to Luin- (if he is the masked guy)- does the Capital Army have some brainwashing methods or putting the mask on unlocks potential craziness? At least they gave some explanation for the mask.

I'm liking Klim Nick more and more- it's fun watching him interact with other characters
Kora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 19:45   Link #27
Skye629

Hmm not bad, hope they keep up the slower pacing though

Anyways still along for the ride, especially for them mechs

and next episode, lets see how much the G-Selfs performance can be altered with different equips

Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 20:55   Link #28
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

That transforming Elf Bullock and its booster attachement while in MA-mode really reminds me of Gaplant (with a bit of Garazzo thrown into the mix). Oh, and the four-eyes mask looks cool on Luin (it's him, isn't it?).

Anyway, G-Self looks cool in purple, but that red shield really destroyed the color-combination. What's with the mecha designer and crass color-mixing? At least make the shield turning purple too godammit! Screw logic, just makes it look cool once in a while. But I guess this is what you get when you have the guy who designed the mech in Code Geass that went crazy with color-clash. Thank god G-Arcane doesn't have equipments with the color that go against the mech (for now).

Okay, I think that's enough OCD-talking from me, let's move to another important subject: when are we gonna get a decent OP? It seems like next episode will mark the last footage they used in the OP, so I hope we will get the true OP after it. Even Wing, SEED & Destiny, (in)famous for their stock footage & reused animaton, have their own OP animation. Don't tell me we're gonna stuck with this ungodly clipshow for the rest of the season. Garnidelia's song deserves better than this.
Old 2014-10-24, 21:13   Link #29
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
But I guess this is what you get when you have the guy who designed the mech in Code Geass that went crazy with color-clash. Thank god G-Arcane doesn't have equipments with the color that go against the mech (for now).
G-Arcane is designed by Ippei Gyobu (who is fast becoming one of my favorite mech designers with his work on this show) so it's a different situation there.

Quote:
Okay, I think that's enough OCD-talking from me, let's move to another important subject: when are we gonna get a decent OP? It seems like next episode will mark the last footage they used in the OP, so I hope we will get the true OP after it. Even Wing, SEED & Destiny, (in)famous for their stock footage & reused animaton, have their own OP animation. Don't tell me we're gonna stuck with this ungodly clipshow for the rest of the season. Garnidelia's song deserves better than this.
Tomino doesn't have a good history with redoing OP's midway through (then again he's never made a clipshow OP like this either; and he also made a much more elaborate ED than his other ones)... So we'll see. I think he prefers to spend the money on the episodes themselves.
Old 2014-10-25, 00:05   Link #30
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

This was a fun episode, Elf Bullock and mask were badass.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-25, 02:51   Link #31
fr3@ky_g

Just finished watching this and some points to ponder:

* Hecate MS......shades of Rick Dom? O_o

* Artwork on the captain's command seat. Is that all steel and no leather at all? O_o

* Bridge Bunnies!!! Reminds me of Macross. :P

* Stretching Beam Sabers? That's a new one.

* Elf Bullock was badass. IMHO.

* So uhmmmm.....the Capital Army are the bad guys but not the Capital Guard? And what are they really fighting over...It's been five episodes and it still unclear what all the MS fights are about.

* And what's up with the Cahill obsession? O_o

* At least there's an explanation of the mask. LOL
fr3@ky_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-25, 06:41   Link #32
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3@ky_g View Post
* So uhmmmm.....the Capital Army are the bad guys but not the Capital Guard? And what are they really fighting over...It's been five episodes and it still unclear what all the MS fights are about.
It's pretty simple... The Capital Guard is a security force and maintenance squad for the Capital Tower, while the Capital Army is founded in secret and as an army its is against the teachings of the SU-Cord religion. The fights are "officially" for the Capital Army to rescue Bellri and company (to get around the taboos) but actually a way to have the Capital Army attack the Megafauna as well as to give its pilots experience and battle data.

Quote:
* And what's up with the Cahill obsession? O_o
Aida obviously admires him a lot and is still grieving over him since it's only been a couple of days? The point of the scene this episode is to show that as "princess" she needs to put on a mask in front of others but in reality she's a very emotional person

Quote:
* At least there's an explanation of the mask. LOL
This episode actually does a very good job of explaining everything. Relatively speaking.
Old 2014-10-25, 10:11   Link #33
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Speaking of Su-Cordian (or whatever the religion is called), how come a bunch of people came to the idea of worshipping a mega-structure which is built by humans themselves? That sounds retarded. It's like I built a big house that lasted for many generations and then my great-grandchildren worship that building. Kinda stupid, isn't it? I see G-Reco and Attack on Titans (and maybe some others) have these weird religions going on. I mean, I understand ancient people who worshipped animals, big trees, ghost, demons, the sun, the moon, mountains, and gods (which commonly represented by statues) as those are beyond their comprehension. And yes, holy places and holy structures exist in our world, but usually people don't worship the place but rather the divine being related to the place. But.....worshipping a big wall......or a high tower.....that you built yourself? I'm shaking my head here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
G-Arcane is designed by Ippei Gyobu (who is fast becoming one of my favorite mech designers with his work on this show) so it's a different situation there.

Tomino doesn't have a good history with redoing OP's midway through (then again he's never made a clipshow OP like this either; and he also made a much more elaborate ED than his other ones)... So we'll see. I think he prefers to spend the money on the episodes themselves.
Ippei Gyoubu? Is he the guy who did the artworks for Tokyo Game Shows since 2010? Anyway, liking his G-Arcane so far.

And yes, I'm hoping for new OP. I mean, this is freaking Sunrise. Certainly they can spare a budget for a mere two minutes of animation for the OP.
Old 2014-10-25, 11:19   Link #34
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Speaking of Su-Cordian (or whatever the religion is called), how come a bunch of people came to the idea of worshipping a mega-structure which is built by humans themselves? That sounds retarded. It's like I built a big house that lasted for many generations and then my great-grandchildren worship that building. Kinda stupid, isn't it? I see G-Reco and Attack on Titans (and maybe some others) have these weird religions going on. I mean, I understand ancient people who worshipped animals, big trees, ghost, demons, the sun, the moon, mountains, and gods (which commonly represented by statues) as those are beyond their comprehension. And yes, holy places and holy structures exist in our world, but usually people don't worship the place but rather the divine being related to the place. But.....worshipping a big wall......or a high tower.....that you built yourself? I'm shaking my head here.
It's possible this started off as more of a philosophy and way of life, for example the emphasis on peaceful co-existance, the taboos placed on warfare and mobile suits, as well as the importance of the orbital elevator as sole energy source, that people adapted to avoid the mistakes of UC.

And throughout the 1000 years of RC the way of life somehow developed into more of a religion. It's not unheard of before (for example Buddhism and Taoism weren't exactly "religions" but elements of both were deified over the course of history; heck even Jesus Christ never made himself out to be a divine figure but his apostles and later Christian figures did) It's more or less human nature to deify things.

And from this episode, it seems like perhaps what's really sacred to the SU-Cordists is actually Towasanga itself, and the space elevator as the link to Towasanga is treated as sacred by extension?

Finally, it could just be that everybody in the Capital region is brainwashed by religious figures... Certainly the Amerians don't seem to buy that divinity stuff.

Quote:
Ippei Gyoubu? Is he the guy who did the artworks for Tokyo Game Shows since 2010? Anyway, liking his G-Arcane so far.
Yeah he was more of an illustrator in the past. This is his first real mecha design project, but Tomino is already referring to him as the "next-Katoki".
Old 2014-10-25, 13:51   Link #35
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

At least they can prove their object of worship is real.
Old 2014-10-26, 10:47   Link #36
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
-Showing Aida saddened by Cahill's death and her crying in the background while some random mechanics are doing their job, albeit in a silly way.(Reminds me of the quote by Prime Minister Rowen J. Ilbert; "as sad as times like these are, the world still marches on.").
I actually loled at that moment, but I suppose that just eclipses the whole issue with Aida. Aida was apparently very close with Cahill but we're never given much development on that front and hardly shown why so it's difficult to sympathise with her, especially when her other crewmates appear to be at the other extreme end of the spectrum and are just so blasé about it. Well I suppose there's nothing really extreme about Aida's reaction. The issue is that it's informed rather than shown. It's actually everybody else that's acting weird, but I suppose you've got to find some excuse to have the MC pilot the damn Gundam (though I don't know why Aida couldn't do it).

Well at least the story is becoming a bit more engaging. Although critical issues remain, the characters are at least being developed and feel more fleshed out and the action was very good. The flamboyant self proclaimed "genius" is definitely my favourite character and I did indeed enjoy the little cute interactions he had with Raraiya (although someone really needs to give her necessary medical attention...). The story manages to mix action with a refreshingly different blend of comedy rather well I think, which helps to give the characters some charm. And the art and animation remains excellent so no complaints there.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-28, 04:28   Link #37
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

We need a flashback of the relationship between Aida & Cahill. Without it, I don't think many can sympathize with Aida keep crying over the dead guy.

And finally, they gave us a reason to wear mask - It help you focus better . I hope Banpresto take note of this and make it an in-game item in later SRW Games. Something like this:

Mysterious mask: +30 Hit rate, +20 critical rate, +1 range to all weapon except 1range and MAP.
Old 2014-10-28, 19:58   Link #38
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
We need a flashback of the relationship between Aida & Cahill. Without it, I don't think many can sympathize with Aida keep crying over the dead guy.

And finally, they gave us a reason to wear mask - It help you focus better . I hope Banpresto take note of this and make it an in-game item in later SRW Games. Something like this:

Mysterious mask: +30 Hit rate, +20 critical rate, +1 range to all weapon except 1range and MAP.
Don't forget Speed +300% over base
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote