Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-18, 23:53   Link #21
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Not a reaction like yours but certainly a 'problem':

I'm not good with psychological-horror anime. That shit freaks me out too much. So I can't watch Narutaru or Higurashi or I'll start to feel an anxiety attack coming on....

...that isn't limited to just anime though. Any type of terrifying movie that messes with your head will do that to me.

And if an anime shows any type of pet (cat, dog, rabbit, etc.) being brutally killed, I HAVE to look away.

Oh, and I can't handle seeing girls raped either.

Spoiler for Kodomo No Jikan manga:
Old 2012-03-19, 01:13   Link #22
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
And if an anime shows any type of pet (cat, dog, rabbit, etc.) being brutally killed, I HAVE to look away.

The one and only case of animal murder I've watched was in Elfen Lied. I was ready to leap into the screen and beat the shit out of those brats. If they hadn't shown Lucy kill them, man would I have raged.
I too can't stand seeing rape scenes. But unfortunately I've watched two - I consider the worst - rape scenes: One in Elfen Lied with the little girl - I wanted to kill the fucking bastard who did it. The other scene is the one in Beserk-anyone who has seen it knows which one I'm talking about.

Last edited by Eragon; 2012-03-19 at 02:33.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 01:40   Link #23
Echoes

Quote:

I definitely agree with that. Both are among the worst things to witness, and it almost uniformly evokes a sense of vengeful wrath in me. I want to see the person who did either of those things get what's coming to him, which is often a horrible demise. I suppose these kinds of things bring out the worst in me, as well.
Old 2012-03-19, 03:22   Link #24
HasuMasu
*Artist

To give an example for further understanding, probably a certain rom-com manga I followed. Now, it wasn't enough to make me stop reading--however, during some of the more romantic scenes I found myself looking stopping and looking away while breathing heavily from time to time--which is more-or-less the kind of raction I was referring to.

Spoiler for woopsie...but the damage has been done...:

Something like that.

Last edited by HasuMasu; 2012-03-20 at 03:11.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 03:24   Link #25
Eragon
Still Alive

^ Maybe you get too much into the character while reading/watching anime/manga
Old 2012-03-19, 03:28   Link #26
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
To give an example for further understanding, probably Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa. Now, it wasn't enough to make me stop reading--however, during some of the more romantic scenes I found myself looking stopping and looking away while breathing heavily from time to time--which is more-or-less the kind of raction I was referring to.

"Oh my God she's going to confess!"
"Wait, maybe she won't?"
"HOLY SHIT SHE DID! asdfghjkl!!!!!! *looks away**breathing heavily**squirming like a retard*"

Something like that.
That's just you having the heart of a pure maiden
Old 2012-03-19, 03:49   Link #27
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
That's just you having the heart of a pure maiden
Well that's...scary.

Though yeah, more often than not it's a sign that I'm getting into what I'm reading/watching.
Old 2012-03-19, 06:29   Link #28
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Well, now I don't need to read Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa. Thanks.
Old 2012-03-19, 06:39   Link #29
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Well, now I don't need to read Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa. Thanks.
Ah but I never mentioned which girl it was.

Was quite surprise, too.
Old 2012-03-19, 07:21   Link #30
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I don't enjoy watching people humiliate themselves in real life; I find it hard to watch in any media too.
This for me too

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 08:17   Link #31
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Familiarity breeds contempt. You've probably seen something annoying, and will be annoyed to see it again. Maybe you're worried someone will walk in on you and ask too many questions? ;p

But yea, anime does sometimes do really dumb and immature things that make me ashamed to be a fan.
This is pretty much it for me as well.

It's not fanservice, per se, that's the issue for me (I tend to like the fanservice in Guilty Crown, for example) but rather how annoyingly cliche some fanservice is.

I'm sure just about everybody here knows what I'm talking about. The scenes of...

1) Guy clumsily stumbles over, falls on top of a girl, his hands just so happen to land on her breasts in a fondling position (milder cases of this aren't too bad, but some are executed with such improbability - i.e. girl's clothes just happen to perfectly fall open to reveal her bra or naked breasts - that it really makes me facepalm hard).

2) Guy idiotically walks into the washroom or a girl's bedroom without knocking first, catches her in a state of undress, just stands there slack-jawed instead of actually trying to get out of the room while the girl screams in embarrassment (and likely inflicts slapstick comedy violence on the guy).

These two types of scenes have just been done to death in anime, so much so that unless quite the twist is put on them, I pretty much instantly facepalm at seeing them again.
Old 2012-03-19, 08:29   Link #32
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
If we include scenes that would make me embarrassed if I were with a group, then the list probably increases exponentially.
Well thankfully most of the people I watch anime in a group with tend to be experienced with the stuff so any awkward moments, which commonly take the form of fanservice from what I've noticed, incite sarcasm at worst (or is it best?).

As for my own aversions I'm not really fond of risky, outgoing artsy stuff. I don't head into shows like Panty & Stocking or FLCL expecting a strong story but the cast is often so neglected that the humor is carried by an outrageous story more than character chemistry. Except inanity can only carry a show so far before it becomes too predictable for its own good via desensitization. The artsy part is just icing on the cake because the unique style or presentation feels like an excuse to overlook everything else about a work.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 13:34   Link #33
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

1) Guy clumsily stumbles over, falls on top of a girl, his hands just so happen to land on her breasts in a fondling position (milder cases of this aren't too bad, but some are executed with such improbability - i.e. girl's clothes just happen to perfectly fall open to reveal her bra or naked breasts - that it really makes me facepalm hard).
Ughhh I HATE THIS. It's getting so old! I like it more if they end up in a hug or just get their faces close. It's much cuter and more romantic.
Old 2012-03-19, 14:59   Link #34
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:

2) Guy idiotically walks into the washroom or a girl's bedroom without knocking first, catches her in a state of undress, just stands there slack-jawed instead of actually trying to get out of the room while the girl screams in embarrassment (and likely inflicts slapstick comedy violence on the guy).
Seriously, what problem do the writers have in writing something that makes sense in these kind of sitituations?
I mean just because this stuff sells can't be the only reason.
Old 2012-03-19, 18:08   Link #35
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Ughhh I HATE THIS. It's getting so old! I like it more if they end up in a hug or just get their faces close. It's much cuter and more romantic.
That much I like, yeah. Plus the reverse (girl falls on guy) I'm usually fine with, partly since it doesn't happen all that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Seriously, what problem do the writers have in writing something that makes sense in these kind of sitituations?
I mean just because this stuff sells can't be the only reason.
I honestly think that some of it is just lazy writing. The writers need enough content to fill out a lowkey episode, so they churn out some of the old stand-by cliches since this stuff almost writes itself. Heck, if I was an anime writer, even I'd be tempted to have a template of "Ye ol' reliable anime cliches!" that I could copy and reuse just by throwing different names into the blanks.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:20   Link #36
word sux

nisemonogatari, the toothbrushing scene. I almost dropped it after that one...
Old 2012-03-19, 21:54   Link #37
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
I honestly think that some of it is just lazy writing. The writers need enough content to fill out a lowkey episode, so they churn out some of the old stand-by cliches since this stuff almost writes itself. Heck, if I was an anime writer, even I'd be tempted to have a template of "Ye ol' reliable anime cliches!" that I could copy and reuse just by throwing different names into the blanks.
Especially when you consider that anime writers are constantly under stress due to deadlines and they still get little pay after that.

Not that I'm not tired of those tropes, mind you.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 22:52   Link #38
Chiibi

Quote:
That much I like, yeah. Plus the reverse (girl falls on guy) I'm usually fine with, partly since it doesn't happen all that often.
My FAVORITE 90s OVA does exactly this. Unfortunately I can't find a screencap. It's super underrated.

Geh, like they say "you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself!"

Spoiler for Anime, please to be doing more scenes like THIS:
Old 2012-03-19, 23:09   Link #39
Dr. Casey

What OVA is that? Such a warm and classic oldschool style, I like.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 23:33   Link #40
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
What OVA is that? Such a warm and classic oldschool style, I like.
It's called Princess Rouge. It was made in '97. I absolutely adore it...but sadly, it's an unfinished, two episode series. A lot of people say it rips off Ah My Goddess but I disagree and find this fantasy OVA much more interesting because it's darker, with events like murder and betrayal and it's full of mystery, with a girl simply trying to figure out her identity and avoid the enemies from a past she can't remember.
Although it's unfinished, it's worth seeing. I treasure it very much. They managed to put more story into drama CDs that I'm trying to collect.^^

And yes, the style of the first episode is very beautiful and classic. Unfortunately they changed it for the second episode which REALLY pissed me off but the plot was very captivating so I can forgive it. XD

Last edited by Chiibi; 2012-03-19 at 23:57.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime, problem, watching