AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-04-02, 19:16   Link #21
bakato

The direction and animation really grabs the attention. Unfortunately, it does very little with it. For a first episode, it was mostly empty of any sort of worldbuilding or plot. Also, I find the shakespearan lines pretentious and annoying.
Old 2021-04-02, 20:06   Link #22
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Also, I find the shakespearan lines pretentious and annoying.
That's an interesting take considering those lines are literally taken from a play, "Salomé", in which Misaki had the titular role. Also, hard disagree on the so-called "emptiness" of the worldbuilding or plot. There were a LOT of details in this episode alone.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-02, 20:57   Link #23
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
That's an interesting take considering those lines are literally taken from a play, "Salomé", in which Misaki had the titular role. Also, hard disagree on the so-called "emptiness" of the worldbuilding or plot. There were a LOT of details in this episode alone.
Still annoying. Also, she could've talked normally all this time and chose not to because...? Details like "vampires exist" and "vampire hunting squad" are not worldbuilding. Nor are they meaningful to the plot of this episode. The intended hook here was the vampactress being revealed to be the fiancee of the main character. Unfortunately, this tragic romance falls flat because the the guy's stiff cardboard so it's hard to care. They never even met each other before this!
Old 2021-04-03, 00:39   Link #24
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Still annoying. Also, she could've talked normally all this time and chose not to because...?
Because the transition to vampire made her temporarily crazy.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-03, 01:27   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes, as was explained quite clearly in the episode.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-03, 18:04   Link #26
Alchemist007
*Author

Going to need more convincing on this one, in the form of an episode or two more.
Old 2021-04-03, 18:56   Link #27
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What made her regain mental clarity at the end? What did that letter even say? Subtitles were nonsense.
Old 2021-04-04, 00:27   Link #28
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
What made her regain mental clarity at the end?
Time, maybe? I assume vamps regain some form of sanity at some point, or the shota wouldn't have been so articulate. Or maybe it was the letter, since things from before the turn are supposed to help.

Quote:
What did that letter even say? Subtitles were nonsense.
Something about the MC being in good health. They never met, but I guess they corresponded?
Old 2021-04-12, 18:39   Link #29
grecefar

So we meet the zero squad and they look like a funny bunch, shutaro is your nice, humble and funny guy and the childhood friend of the reporter, I hope they meet someday.

You can't say you are married or have a lover because is going to end bad, after these two chapters for sure shutaro or aoi will die in the end.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-14, 01:45   Link #30
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Ugh, Nosferatu strikes again... I always find it funny that vampires bursting into flames when the sun touches them has become such an integral trope, when the concept was only introduced 100 years ago. And, not even by the vampire people often associate that trope with.

Anyway, I'm kind of in agreement with bakato, I found the first episode tedious and mostly boring to watch. Episode two was a little bit better, but still hasn't hooked me.
Old 2021-04-14, 01:53   Link #31
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I feel the atmosphere of ep2 was pretty different from ep1. I'm not entirely sure I like it, though.
Old 2021-04-14, 05:47   Link #32
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Definitely different. Episode 1 focused a lot more on the theater aspects of Salome while keeping the elements of "vampires and the soldiers tasked with dealing with them". There's a lot more of the former than the latter in Episode 1, and the cast in Episode 2 (a couple of fugitive vampire lovers) is less endearing compared to Misaki whose "last performance" is also her first time of meeting what could have been her fiance.

I'd chalk it up to different episodes having different vibes in it rather than treating the series as a progression of feelings.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2021-04-15, 02:51   Link #33
Alchemist007
*Author

Episode 2 won me over, but yeah it's different for sure, I wonder how the rest of the season is going to go, I assume at least generally more like ep. 2.
Old 2021-04-19, 15:54   Link #34
grecefar

I loved this chapter, it was such a nice thing for yamagami to reach closure for his wife but in the end she loved him that much and will remain loyal to him. It was smart of kurusu using his speed to pass as ghosts lol.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-20, 05:08   Link #35
Alchemist007
*Author

Certainly was a neat way to use their powers.
Old 2021-04-20, 07:20   Link #36
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I'm impressed that Yamagami was given this level of substance. From his debut appearance, I thought he'd be the constant butt of the jokes no thanks to Mr. Mad Scientist shooting his butt to prove a point about his vampirism, but we managed to see some details of his life from subsequent episodes. He knows how to play the piano and misses playing one, and we learned from this episode that not only does he have a harpsichord at home, he is also quite knowledgeable in poetry too, considering the Ryoukan (1758-1831) poems he recited to his Teishin Tomiko.

Aside from that, there are interesting "parallels" between the humans going "unga bunga politics, unga bunga vampire unit" while the vampires were the ones having a seemingly colorful life. That said, I have to wonder if vampires find coffins comfortable. Looks like our resident A-Class vamp begs to differ.

EDIT: Thanks Kakkou!

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2021-04-20 at 08:50.
Old 2021-04-20, 07:53   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Criminally underrated, this show. In some areas it's as good as anything airing this season, and it's a good season.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-20, 08:38   Link #38
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I'm impressed that Takeuchi was given this level of substance. From his debut appearance, I thought he'd be the constant butt of the jokes no thanks to Mr. Mad Scientist shooting his butt to prove a point about his vampirism, but we managed to see some details of his life from subsequent episodes. He knows how to play the piano and misses playing one, and we learned from this episode that not only does he have a harpsichord at home, he is also quite knowledgeable in poetry too, considering the Ryoukan (1758-1831) poems he recited to his Teishin Tomiko.

Aside from that, there are interesting "parallels" between the humans going "unga bunga politics, unga bunga vampire unit" while the vampires were the ones having a seemingly colorful life. That said, I have to wonder if vampires find coffins comfortable. Looks like our resident A-Class vamp begs to differ.
Just fyi, it's Yamagami. Takeuchi is the mad scientist.

As for the coffins, they may or may not elaborate on them later but as a harmless piece of trivia:
Spoiler for Coffins:
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-20, 08:51   Link #39
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ That makes sense. I forget that they have stronger senses than humans.

Old 2021-04-26, 22:27   Link #40
Magewolf

Looks like we have a case of experimenting to mass produce vampires. And we may have Frankenstein fighting vampires.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history