Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series

Notices

Old 2017-06-17, 18:45   Link #21
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That's mostly what I meant though. It's one of the things I find compelling about Noa.
And what you meant is mostly false. Noa is never that enthusiastic about dispatch missions.

Quote:
Did you really watch this things? The girl spends the whole thing being worried about the captain's crazy orders. I don't know if she's "lively" or whatnot, but you can't definitely tell that just from this short.
Yes, I did. She's definitely more lively than Asuma who is her expy. definitely has more spunk there. Maybe you're the one who needs to re-watch the old TV series.
Old 2017-06-17, 19:27   Link #22
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
And what you meant is mostly false. Noa is never that enthusiastic about dispatch missions.
I was talking about the labors, not the missions. But even her lack of enthusiasm for the missions makes for some funny scenes with Asuma, who is more strait-laced. In Reboot both characters seemed sort of strait-laced to me (if somewhat trigger happy in the guy's case). Only the captain provided some contrast.

Quote:
Yes, I did. She's definitely more lively than Asuma who is her expy. definitely has more spunk there.
I disagree. She even seemed kinda grumpy to me.
Old 2017-06-17, 20:00   Link #23
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I was talking about the labors, not the missions.
But the entirety of Reboot's 7-8-minute runtime is about a dispatch mission (which Noa is never that enthusiastic about). What do you expect the guy-pilot to do in his mission? geeking out about labor specs mid-battle?

Quote:
But even her lack of enthusiasm for the missions makes for some funny scenes with Asuma, who is more strait-laced. In Reboot both characters seemed sort of strait-laced to me (if somewhat trigger happy in the guy's case). Only the captain provided some contrast.
That's because the short decided to focus more on contrasting Noa-expy & Asuma-expy against Goto-expy which actually works wonders given the limited 7-minute runtime (because let's face it, the Cpt. Goto-role must be there and the other characters must play the straight man role for him/her), which doesn't mean the Noa-expy & Asuma-expy dynamic sucks. I fact, how can you tell that their dynamic is boring when the short barely have them play each other?

Quote:
I disagree. She even seemed kinda grumpy to me.
Being a little grumpy is like the default/basic mode for operators. Just ask Asuma, Kanuka & Takeo .
Old 2017-06-18, 09:31   Link #24
Kazu-kun

Quote:
What do you expect the guy-pilot to do in his mission? geeking out about labor specs mid-battle?
Any sort of character trait beyond the generic male lead you see everywhere nowadays. They did gave him that Ota vibe, but kind of watered down. Everything else screams proxy self-insert with bland personality, even his character design.

Quote:
I fact, how can you tell that their dynamic is boring when the short barely have them play each other?
Because it does show a bit of their personalities. We're talking pretty old tropes here after all. The way I see it we have a less crazy and more generic-looking Ota paired with a female Asuma. Again, this might work for you. Doesn't work for me. Maybe if the guy was actually more like Ota, like even his looks and all. Now that would have been kind of awesome.

Of course it would never happen.

Quote:
Being a little grumpy is like the default/basic mode for operators.
Sure, I just don't see the "lively" thing you were talking about.
Old 2017-06-18, 10:13   Link #25
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Any sort of character trait beyond the generic male lead you see everywhere nowadays. They did gave him that Ota vibe, but kind of watered down. Everything else screams proxy self-insert with bland personality, even his character design.
In his 4-5 minute screentime, he acted like a proper police, he even threw some comedic bits about his worries and asking whether it’s okay to sacrifice the graveyard due to him being a buddhist and all and the end part where tried to be cool only to succumb to his temper. Yet you still label him as a generic self-insert character? From what I can see, you simply demanded too much out of a short anime (and bordering on impossible to please). And his design screams actual young police officer resembling Asuma more than self-insert otaku like you claimed. Unless you also count Asuma's design as a self-insert character which isn't true.

Quote:
Because it does show a bit of their personalities.
Judging the tip of the iceberg even though there's big possibility that they can do better with the dynamic with more duration, check.

Quote:
Sure, I just don't see the "lively" thing you were talking about.
That sure answers it, doesn't it? You just don’t see it.
Old 2017-06-18, 10:40   Link #26
Kazu-kun

Quote:
you still label him as a generic self-insert character?
Yes. Felt pretty generic to me.

Quote:
there's big possibility that they can do better with the dynamic with more duration
I don't think so.

Quote:
That sure answers it, doesn't it? You just don’t see it.
It's the same with you. You see it but it doesn't mean you're right. Or are you one of those nutcases who think their opinions are facts?
Old 2017-06-18, 11:57   Link #27
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Yes. Felt pretty generic to me.
Bordering impossible to please indeed.

Quote:
I don't think so.
Too bad.

Quote:
It's the same with you. You see it but it doesn't mean you're right. Or are you one of those nutcases who think their opinions are facts?
Nope.
Old 2019-12-15, 21:23   Link #28
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
https://twitter.com/patlabor0810

The official Patlabor twitter's been tweeting about airing the first movie (if I got it right) on the 28th in Tokyo.

----

https://patlabor.tokyo/news/

Headgear has a shop now in Amazon Japan.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-15, 02:02   Link #29
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

There's some news coming out lately regarding EZY:

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/9875847.html (Not sure if it's recent), but someone on Patlabor reddit translated the main points.

Quote:
- Izubuchi is working on it as a director
- Script is on Kazunori Itoh
- Aprx release in 2024
- Work on storyboards and a pilot is already underway
This continuity chart's been floating around too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Patlabor/co...ranchise_plus/

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2022-05-15, 04:40   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Nope. By law all future premiers must be Fall 2022.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-15, 06:14   Link #31
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Could be that.

I found that tweet via a Patlabor reddit group.

The continuity map is from the official site.

Old 2022-05-16, 07:53   Link #32
Kazu-kun

The continuity map looks promising, since it looks like the new series will be a continuation of the classic Patlabor instead of a follow up from the 2016 reboot. I'm glad because I didn't like the 2016 reboot.
Old 2022-05-17, 23:19   Link #33
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Maybe the characters from the 2016 pilot project can join EZY.

Old 2022-07-03, 09:16   Link #34
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

http://www.patlabor.info/ezy.htm

Schaft Enterprises fan site has compiled details on what's up with EZY.

Old 2022-07-21, 07:06   Link #35
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...summer/.187826

Pilot coming this August.

Old 2022-07-24, 13:19   Link #36
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
All in all, Patlabor is a satire of Japan’s police department as well as a what-if scenario about what will actually happen if giant robot actually exists as a vehicle for various needs such as construction, military and law enforcement...
The existence of a new Patlabor series is interesting news. While I can't say I've really seen any of the series, I do remember its featuring in such publications as Mecha-Press back in the day. As a matter of fact, there are two designs I particularly recall, only one of which is an actual, well, labor:

I was amused to find out that yes, the Hellhound has made its way into a very surprising Steam game as mod content...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-24, 14:57   Link #37
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
The existence of a new Patlabor series is interesting news. While I can't say I've really seen any of the series, I do remember its featuring in such publications as Mecha-Press back in the day. As a matter of fact, there are two designs I particularly recall, only one of which is an actual, well, labor:

I was amused to find out that yes, the Hellhound has made its way into a very surprising Steam game as mod content...
Give the various series a shot if you're a fan of mecha and can enjoy dry (Japanese) comedy. Especially now that you can access the Blu-ray version that makes the show looks better than ever.

Patlabor series is a show that's better consumed in small order. I'd say watching 2 episodes each day is the best arrangement to enjoy it.
Old 2022-10-01, 01:15   Link #38
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://www.patlabor.info/ezy.htm

The Schaft fansite showed off the first few screencaps, supposedly taken from the film festival.

Old 2023-04-15, 04:42   Link #39
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://twitter.com/htGOIW/status/1551089575761612800

Long twitter chain. The poster said that in-universe, the TMPD will keep using the Ingrams since the force can't afford to buy newer ones.

Old 2024-01-18, 10:05   Link #40
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://patlabor.tokyo/news/1539/

Did some research and according to some Patlabor followers, there was an SD card handed out in Japan that supposedly showed the pilot.

The item's "ー篠原重工HOS SDカード(64GB)".