AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-19, 17:59   Link #21
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
I kinda liked the MiG 15.

At least I spotted 8 fighter planes in 20 minutes of the 1st ep.
I think they understand the target demographic usually likes fighter planes. ^_^ Works for me.

Did the manga/previous OVA/video game try to explain how it was possible to support and maintain so many different aircraft in one base? (I'm capable of "forgetting about it" since the story and action are good, but still.... )

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 18:30   Link #22
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Now I haven't got the game in front of me (So this might be slightly inaccurate) but thought it might be interesting to see how many of the selectable Aircraft that featured in the game turn up in the series.

F8E Crusader
F20 Tigershark
F14D Tomcat
A10A Avenger (Groundhog?)
YF23 (hmm I know the F22 was nicknamed the Lightning but cant remember what the designation was for this)
F200 ?????

Also I thought there was a Saab Viggen (or similar) but cant quite remember.

There was also a sequel to the game called Carrier Airwing but I can't remember much about it either and whether it had the same characters from the original.
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 18:32   Link #23
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Whoops double post!

Yeah its Warthog not Groundhog!

Last edited by tsurumaru; 2004-01-20 at 11:48.
Old 2004-01-19, 18:35   Link #24
Tellu54
Banned

I dunno, offhand it looks like the base has about 30 pilots (That number may be wildly off), and what, 4 runways? I don't know too much about planes, is that a lot?
Tellu54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 19:18   Link #25
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Wow, I finally got to see this and although the animation style is older, I really like it. This is definately right up my alley. I love aircraft dogfights!! I'd love even more to be in one. Strangely enough, they're fun.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 19:19   Link #26
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

That would be the a-10 warthog, I believe, complete with vulcan cannon that can destroy just about anything. The thrust made by the vulcan cannon is more powerful than its engines I hear. If they fire while not in a dive, or fire in more than just a burst, the plane could stall. That's some scary power. Gotta love the A-10.
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 19:53   Link #27
Go-lytely

Its sad but I hear they are decommissioning the A-10. The A-10 was made to take tons of punishment, could fly on 1 engine, had multiple backup hydraulics and ate up tanks with its cannon that fired depleted uranium rounds.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 01:45   Link #28
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

The brass have been trying to get rid of the A-10 since before it was put into service. They absolutely hate it. Can't figure out why either. It's been one of our most effective tank killers EVER! Oh well. Something with the brass is screwy in our military anyways. They seem to think that if you can't nuke em or blow them into a billion bits with one bomb (push button instant war, instant win mentality.) or win the war with the push of a button, it needs to be gotten rid of.

I hope the A-10 never dies. How many countries fear seeing a fighter plane come over its borders? Some do, not many. They can fight back against those. The A-10 on the other hand is hard as hell to shoot down and can do mega damage while taking a huge beating. So yeah, there's plenty of people scared of it. It still makes me wonder what our military guru's are thinking. Baka's.
Old 2004-01-20, 02:00   Link #29
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

I guess because the A-10 can't deal with targets from miles away, it needs to get down and dirty. "Close range" in today's terms. You can't fire a missle from miles and miles away, so it puts pilots in danger,but still, that vulcan cannon rapes anything, with HE shells, those things are like freaking bombs. I hope it stays in service for a while.
Old 2004-01-20, 08:58   Link #30
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, that's probubly the same reason they discontinued the wild weasel. They used to play chicken with SAM radar units to get them to reveal themselves then they'd fire a radar seeking missle and wipe them out. There was always extreme risk to the pilot and the brass hate that. They also is the fact that the brass don't want to have to put tons of training into something and then see it get shot down, like with a pilot.

Why do you think they've been exploring so many of the RPV (remotely piloted vehicle) type vehicles lately? You remember in Afganistan the spy aircraft the CIA had? Remember how they were equipt with hellfire missles and the pilot sat safely in a control room 2000 miles away while his RPV was kicking someones *** into next week? Well, that's the direction the brass are going. Don't risk a pilot. Sure, loose lots of equipment, but don't ever risk a pilot. Bakas. This is war. People die. You start trying to make war clean, you're just going to make things worse. Too bad they don't realize that.
Old 2004-01-20, 10:00   Link #31
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Based from I saw from 1st ep of Area 88

1. Vought F 8E (?) Crusader
2. McDonnell Douglas A 4 Skyhawk
3. McDonnell Douglas F 4 Phantom
4. Saab Scania J-35F Draken
5. Mikoyan Gurevich MiG 15
6. Grumman F-14 A Tomcat
7. F 105 Thunderchief
8. Dassault Breguet Mirage III ( I might be mistaken)

I knew I mispell or misindentify somewhere, feel free to correct me.
Old 2004-01-20, 15:19   Link #32
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

I couldn't tell if a few of those were mirages or eurofighters. Thought I remembered seeing one, but now when I think about it, I didn't see the little "wings" mounted in the front. The eurofighter has those doesn't it? (This turning into quite the airplane thread )
Old 2004-01-20, 16:23   Link #33
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hor
I couldn't tell if a few of those were mirages or eurofighters. Thought I remembered seeing one, but now when I think about it, I didn't see the little "wings" mounted in the front. The eurofighter has those doesn't it? (This turning into quite the airplane thread )
Forward canards? I believe they are called.......

I think the Mirage had these too...... (but not adjustable ones) or perhaps that was the Saab Grippen......

Sorry rambling now.....
Old 2004-01-20, 17:15   Link #34
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Thanks, I believe you are right about what they're called. And I found a pic of a mirage, and it also has the canards as well. I believe the eurofighter has them forward swept, or at least not back as much on the mirages. Ok, thankies, and sorry for going off in a tangent. I'll shut up about planes now.
Old 2004-02-21, 06:18   Link #35
marin

So episode 4 is out, what does everyone think?
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 07:26   Link #36
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

I'm suprised that this show garnered such favourable response in this thread. From what I saw of 4 episodes, it made me gave it up more than 3 weeks ago (the chinese fansub was out much faster).

The artwork is terrible considering the advances in the anime industry since the OVA (which I had no chance of watching) was out. A lot of times, shadows of the objects are missing (e.g. planes about to touch down have no shadows but the ground crew at that very moment are sporting shadows). Perspective also seem to be a problem in many scenes. Planes and people are out of proportions. The angles of the planes' take off paths looked artificial. And all the mechanical vehicles looked like they are skiing on the surface. Planes seemed like gliding along a blurry tarmac until they take off. The blades of a ceiling fan looked like they are gliding on its base!

That was one of my big grouses against this series. Also the story does not seem interesting anymore. The angsty pilot trying to get back to his sweetheart is boring. Now with this mysterious photographer hired by the nemesis to take his death or sad pictures? Spare me please...

The action is not good. It does not engrouse. One does not feel the twist and turn or marvelous acrobatics in a dogfight. All planes seem to perform alike except for obvious abilities (VTOL).

Question: How can a Tomcat function normally without a RIO (Radar Intercept Officer)?

Question: How do mercenaries afford all these planes? If its the government providing these planes, then why must the mercs pay for the upgrades and fuel?

The bad logic and art doesn't make this a series for me to enjoy.

Last edited by Yebyosh; 2004-02-21 at 07:38.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 20:50   Link #37
tkcom
Killjoy-sama

Also... first ep. I saw him fired shots after shots yet when he's about to return to the base the missiles are still fully loaded! Indeed the graphics are pretty static and not much room for flexibility.

The reason I'm still looking forward to it is Kim.

TK
tkcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 21:20   Link #38
Victim

What's up with the third episode? The page here shows only a 50 mb file size and no activity.
Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-21, 22:13   Link #39
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh

Question: How can a Tomcat function normally without a RIO (Radar Intercept Officer)?

Question: How do mercenaries afford all these planes? If its the government providing these planes, then why must the mercs pay for the upgrades and fuel?

The bad logic and art doesn't make this a series for me to enjoy.
I asked those questions myself, and I think the answer is "Fogeddabowdit!"
Sometimes an anime has to break the rules of real life logic in order to support the story or to look interesting.

This anime has enough story and good characters to suspend my disbelief... other shows like .hack/sign failed in this regard. I really like seeing the jets dogfight (I grew up as an air force brat)... the computer animation wasn't too bad for me.

-k
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-22, 02:06   Link #40
Rockleebrows

Send a message via ICQ to Rockleebrows
anyone have any idea what the song 3 mins and 10 seconds in is?
Rockleebrows is offline   Reply With Quote