Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-06-25, 10:43   Link #341
Kadmos1
≠epic failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymene View Post
Frodonk, why are you saying “shin and his harem” instead of “shin and his friends” ? Do you even know what the meaning of a harem is in anime terminology ? It means “3 or more female characters romantically or sexually attracted to one male character, usually the MC”. However, Shin only has one girl here liking him romantically who becomes his fiance. The other female characters are just his friends and classmates. Olivia is Mark’s GF, and Ellie is August’s fiance. Maria supports their relationship and have no serious feelings for Shin, as is Yuri, Rin, and Alice. Your usage of the word harem here is incorrect, friend.
I only watch the anime but do any of the other girls in the light/web novel or manga versions have the hots for Shin? I argue that Maria is up there.
Old 2019-06-26, 13:29   Link #342
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Is this really the end? It honestly doesn't feel like an "ending" to me. Still a good and fun series even if it is. I'd certainly stick in for another season or two, especially if everyone else continued to grow stronger and closer to Shin's level (even in this episode even if people talk about his power it still feels like his superiority comes from a little more knowledge and experience, both of which can be gained with time).

Additionally, I get the feeling they're leaving the possibility for world domination open. I recall Oliver said one of the big reasons he wasn't interested in conquering the world was because Majin are not a maintainable species, as he suspected a Majin's child would be born human. The last bit however makes it sound like they're currently testing this directly. If they can produce a baby that's already a Majin, conquest might not seem like such a ridiculous idea to him after all...
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-26, 15:53   Link #343
Dop
Mmmm....

Well, it's not really an ending, more a "And their story continues... in the books!" halt.

Yeah. Well. Isekai is not my favourite genre as most I find unwatchable, but this one didn't have an insufferable lead. Towards the end I was losing interest and just had it on in the background, but as there was nothing else I was watching on Wednesdays I figured i'd see how it ended. Ha! Big mistake.

I still have this theory that the author was writing a bog-standard fantasy piece then their agent told them "No, isekai's are selling like hot cakes. Just stick in a bit at the beginning where they're someone on earth who gets killed and reincarnated in your fantasy world. It's good for sales!"
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 14:46   Link #344
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Bah, not only did Aug ask Sweed to join the alliance when they are not in a position to refuse, after being saved by a bunch of flying teenagers and all that, Aug also gave the king an ultimatum by essentially saying that "there will be a summit in a few days, I expect you to be there." Class coercion move right there!

I would even point out, again, how everyone has also apparently turned around and gave everyone their blessing to go save the world, when in the first episode their main worry was that revealing Shin to everyone would upset the balance of power in this world. It doesn't matter when it's their kingdom that's at the top of the food chain right? lol.

The only interesting thing I've seen in this last episode is their "experiment" of trying to make little demon babies. She shouldn't have moved around that much in that battle if she wanted a higher chance of conceiving, but that's just me

Also, if we are continuing the series from this point, it will turn out that the main baddie in this story would be somebody who is opposing Shin just because he's bored, and his underlings are trying their best to entertain him since they don't know what they would do next. Top notch writing right there.

Eh, that's enough complaining for a series that has ended. I rest my case.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 14:51   Link #345
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
Bah, not only did Aug ask Sweed to join the alliance when they are not in a position to refuse, after being saved by a bunch of flying teenagers and all that, Aug also gave the king an ultimatum by essentially saying that "there will be a summit in a few days, I expect you to be there." Class coercion move right there!

I would even point out, again, how everyone has also apparently turned around and gave everyone their blessing to go save the world, when in the first episode their main worry was that revealing Shin to everyone would upset the balance of power in this world. It doesn't matter when it's their kingdom that's at the top of the food chain right? lol.
They didn't want Shin to intervene in human vs human politics. Though what they really didn't want is some asshole thinking "Shin is on our side, it's safe to start a war" or even "Shin is on our side, it's safe to bully other nations because they'll never dare to start a war".

It's different from thinking "Shin must not act, even if humanity as a whole is in danger".
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-27, 15:04   Link #346
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They didn't want Shin to intervene in human vs human politics. Though what they really didn't want is some asshole thinking "Shin is on our side, it's safe to start a war" or even "Shin is on our side, it's safe to bully other nations because they'll never dare to start a war".

It's different from thinking "Shin must not act, even if humanity as a whole is in danger".
Welp, that convinced me. I can't say that they're using Shin for military purposes if it's the entire human race that's in danger from the demonoids and that Shin and his harem friends are humanity's only chance of winning. They don't know what his purpose for attacking Sweed after all as Aug said.

If the kingdom continues to use Shin in human vs human wars after that then that's when it could be said that the promises made during the first episode was broken by the king.

Still, it's very very convenient that Aug's the one leading this alliance. The political advantages this gives to the kingdom can't be denied, but I guess it's just a side effect.
Old 2019-06-27, 17:33   Link #347
BWTraveller
Born to ship

The way I understood it was not fear of power imbalance but rather fear of the destruction that introducing such powers would bring. This fight was between a bunch of farmers who'd learned just enough to wreck unprepared civilians and a group of students with a couple months of training and no hard combat experience. Just imagine what it'd be like if countries were actually able to train their mages to that level consistently. A minor skirmish could erase multiple mountains and require immediate large-scale alteration of maps.
Old 2019-06-29, 07:02   Link #348
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Also, if we are continuing the series from this point, it will turn out that the main baddie in this story would be somebody who is opposing Shin just because he's bored, and his underlings are trying their best to entertain him since they don't know what they would do next. Top notch writing right there.
Honestly speaking... that's not a bad angle.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-29, 08:38   Link #349
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Honestly speaking... that's not a bad angle.
I don't have any problems if they can do something amazing or at least competent with it, but from what I've seen I doubt that's the case.
Old 2019-06-29, 10:32   Link #350
Norn
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Is this really the end? It honestly doesn't feel like an "ending" to me. Still a good and fun series even if it is. I'd certainly stick in for another season or two, especially if everyone else continued to grow stronger and closer to Shin's level (even in this episode even if people talk about his power it still feels like his superiority comes from a little more knowledge and experience, both of which can be gained with time).

Additionally, I get the feeling they're leaving the possibility for world domination open. I recall Oliver said one of the big reasons he wasn't interested in conquering the world was because Majin are not a maintainable species, as he suspected a Majin's child would be born human. The last bit however makes it sound like they're currently testing this directly. If they can produce a baby that's already a Majin, conquest might not seem like such a ridiculous idea to him after all...
I think they can get close to Shin's level in their respective fields, but it will take a while until they individually are a threat to the demonoids.

The issue is that Shin is the ultimate cheat: even if you forget the isekai knowledge Shin has, he's exceptionally talented and is very inquisitive. He got the best environment to turn him from a jack of all trades into an allrounder type of guy.

Now that demonoids with actual military experience have appeared, the UM will sooner or later run into a wall. The guys seem to be rather ok, they just need to reach some level of balance between swords and magic or get used to fighting "magic knight" types such as Shin. The girls are kind of at a disadvantage. Looking at the last episode, the support mages are not good at dealing with close combat mages. And then there's the chibi duo, who are so focused on firepower that it comes as a detriment to other things.

I do think that they'd make significant jumps if they start to process magic the same way Shin does and go make their own magics.

Even now world domination is possible. They just needed to avoid Earlshide kingdom and conquer other kingdoms slowly and carefully. For all we know, they could have longer lifespans than the average human. Turning a whole country's military into demonoids would spell the end for the world. Or they could just sit in one country and slowly take it over until they have a demonoid country that will be hard to get rid of. If Schtrom could hide in Earlshide for so long, then surely other demonoids can too.

The problem with the natural born Majin project is that even if a natural born majin happens, chances are that the demonoids are largely infertile as is often a staple with humanoid fantasy races that have tremendous magic power.

Quote:
But this is not a bad angle. The attack on Sweede kingdom is indeed the work of his underlings. He clearly told them not to mess with Shin, despite him going toe to toe with him. But this only spurred them on even more. And after witnessing what Shin was capable of in person, I think they are seeing Shin as both a way for Schtrom to regain a sense of purpose but also as an immense threat towards them. They are likely going to keep messing with Shin. I think the story will go the route of showcasing the (unintended) of Schtrom's subordinates, who are pretty much running amok since Schtrom doesn't really puts them in check and his subordinates don't run their plans by him.

Quote:
Still, it's very very convenient that Aug's the one leading this alliance. The political advantages this gives to the kingdom can't be denied, but I guess it's just a side effect.
Well, there's the promise of not tying Shin down to politics. Alliance means Aug would have to talk to a lot of leaders and government officials. This is something Shin can't really do. Aug is much better when it comes to social settings, especially those within the context of politics. We can't have Shin blow someone up out of anger right? Also, Aug is the best man for the job. The group has other nobles and your fantasy variant of upper middle class members, but none are as prepared for politics as Aug is. Other than that, Aug naturally works in tandem with Shin when it comes to leadership. In a sense he is the de facto second in command, and as a crown prince he's a good public figure for the group.

It's not so much that the kingdom will get the political advantages, though most of the other countries would likely believe this. The earshide kingdom has seen firsthand what a demonoid human can do. They are the ones who understand that the demonoids are a threat to the whole world if left unchecked. Sweede kingdom has now seen it too, and understood that protection from the UM's and collaboration with Earlshide's military would help a lot. And this is why Aug volunteered to lead the talks: he knows that as the crown prince and someone who has fought the demonoids, he's got the knowledge of the field and the weight to speak without reserve. This isn't a problem that can be left for each country to solve on his own, now that the demonoids have shown that they possess intelligence instead of just being a mass of raging magic.
Norn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-30, 01:42   Link #351
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norn View Post
Well, there's the promise of not tying Shin down to politics. Alliance means Aug would have to talk to a lot of leaders and government officials. This is something Shin can't really do. Aug is much better when it comes to social settings, especially those within the context of politics. We can't have Shin blow someone up out of anger right? Also, Aug is the best man for the job. The group has other nobles and your fantasy variant of upper middle class members, but none are as prepared for politics as Aug is. Other than that, Aug naturally works in tandem with Shin when it comes to leadership. In a sense he is the de facto second in command, and as a crown prince he's a good public figure for the group.
My point was that Aug and by extension the kingdom is the one leading this alliance and gets all the advantages that come with it, not that I think Shin is the one who should lead this alliance, I don't care who among these teenagers gets to play the leader and convince the other countries to join under them.

Quote:
It's not so much that the kingdom will get the political advantages, though most of the other countries would likely believe this. The earshide kingdom has seen firsthand what a demonoid human can do. They are the ones who understand that the demonoids are a threat to the whole world if left unchecked. Sweede kingdom has now seen it too, and understood that protection from the UM's and collaboration with Earlshide's military would help a lot. And this is why Aug volunteered to lead the talks: he knows that as the crown prince and someone who has fought the demonoids, he's got the knowledge of the field and the weight to speak without reserve. This isn't a problem that can be left for each country to solve on his own, now that the demonoids have shown that they possess intelligence instead of just being a mass of raging magic.
Then other countries can only choose between:

Join the alliance under the kingdom and be saved from potential demonoid attacks by OP teenagers who can fly and who are apparently the only ones who can fight off these intelligent monsters.

or

Reject the alliance and try to fight the demonoid threat by themselves and sustain huge losses or even be completely wiped out by intelligent monsters, just like what happened to Sweed when they were forced to join the alliance because, again, they weren't in a position to refuse anything that their saviors "requested" them to do.

Either way the kingdom wins.
Old 2019-06-30, 04:30   Link #352
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
My point was that Aug and by extension the kingdom is the one leading this alliance and gets all the advantages that come with it, not that I think Shin is the one who should lead this alliance, I don't care who among these teenagers gets to play the leader and convince the other countries to join under them.

Then other countries can only choose between:

Join the alliance under the kingdom and be saved from potential demonoid attacks by OP teenagers who can fly and who are apparently the only ones who can fight off these intelligent monsters.

or

Reject the alliance and try to fight the demonoid threat by themselves and sustain huge losses or even be completely wiped out by intelligent monsters, just like what happened to Sweed when they were forced to join the alliance because, again, they weren't in a position to refuse anything that their saviors "requested" them to do.

Either way the kingdom wins.
The initial concern Merlin had was that the kingdom would use Shin as a military tool. Either to invade or countries or threaten other countries using Shin as a threat.

Merlin didn't want Shin to cause or to be used in wars. It's pretty simple. Not anything abstract or complicated like what you are thinking.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-30, 04:51   Link #353
Nymene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmos1 View Post
I only watch the anime but do any of the other girls in the light/web novel or manga versions have the hots for Shin? I argue that Maria is up there.
No they don't have the hots for Shin and support their engaged relationship like normal friends in real life. I have read the LN and WN till the latest chapters and volumes, and no harem at all, as the main plot mostly focuses on their efforts to counter Schtrom and his demonoids.
Nymene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-30, 05:57   Link #354
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
The initial concern Merlin had was that the kingdom would use Shin as a military tool. Either to invade or countries or threaten other countries using Shin as a threat.

Merlin didn't want Shin to cause or to be used in wars. It's pretty simple. Not anything abstract or complicated like what you are thinking.
I get that Merlin didn't want Shin to be used to conquer/threaten countries, or as was said before, in human vs. human wars, but what happened in the end has the same effect of Shin being used to the kingdom's advantage.

There's this demonoid threat, here's Shin, the only guy who could defeat them, together with a bunch of others that might be able to defeat them as well, we're trying to make an alliance of countries that will stand against this threat, with the crown prince of the kingdom and Shin at the top of this alliance, everyone else will have to follow Shin's lead if they want to live btw, if you don't join this alliance then good luck fighting those monsters on your own.

If this alliance was not created in the first place then I wouldn't have a problem with this, but maybe I'm just overthinking things.

This will probably be my last post on this topic, this wouldn't get a s2 anyway.
Old 2019-06-30, 09:00   Link #355
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I get that Merlin didn't want Shin to be used to conquer/threaten countries, or as was said before, in human vs. human wars, but what happened in the end has the same effect of Shin being used to the kingdom's advantage.

There's this demonoid threat, here's Shin, the only guy who could defeat them, together with a bunch of others that might be able to defeat them as well, we're trying to make an alliance of countries that will stand against this threat, with the crown prince of the kingdom and Shin at the top of this alliance, everyone else will have to follow Shin's lead if they want to live btw, if you don't join this alliance then good luck fighting those monsters on your own.

If this alliance was not created in the first place then I wouldn't have a problem with this, but maybe I'm just overthinking things.

This will probably be my last post on this topic, this wouldn't get a s2 anyway.
When Merlin extracted that promise from the king, he had no idea the demonoids would organize and turn into that kind of threat. They're obviously going to have to bend the rules a bit there.

Furthermore, that promise was all well and good at the time it was made, but there are other considerations now. Such as the fact Shin is at an age where he should start making his own decisions. And he is engaged to a noble girl.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-30, 11:59   Link #356
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I think the second part is kind of key. Merlin's demand was for the king and other influential parties to not attempt to use Shin in any political or military fashion. Even something like a high-ranking person in the military asking Shin to divulge the secret to his strength is forbidden. But the demand only goes as far as making requests or orders or other such actions. I doubt they intended the demand to extend to what the political figures ALLOW Shin to do. If Shin chooses to follow a path it's on him, not the other people he'll be involved with on that path.

In any case, though others may consider this to be average or so I for one really liked it. For greater or lesser the author and animators tried to break from the norm and create a unique magic system, separating from the overused RPG elements. There's not even levels from what I've seen. On top of this, effort was taken to demonstrate that the hero isn't really anything special, and by the later portion his friends are catching up to him at a surprising rate. This show gave me what I wanted going in, and I'm quite satisfied. If I had to say there was something I disliked, it'd be the choice of romantic pairing. Sicily's nice, but honestly I couldn't grow to like her that much.
Old 2019-07-01, 14:46   Link #357
alex_drian

Aaaaaand don't fucking come back. Seriously I think it took itself too seriously at the end.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-03, 01:44   Link #358
rladls2121

I'm so bored these days, there are no animes these days that give me the edge of my seat excitement.
The great times back then when I was always eager to watch each new episode once a week.

Yugioh Vrains, so boring for me.
I forgot when did stop watching this one, the boy named Shin Ford?

I going to look up on 2019 July ones, if there's anything else fun to watch.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-05, 12:00   Link #359
alex_drian

Quote:
If you watched Kenja no Mago looking for good or even decent writing you have nothing to blame but yourself.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-17, 19:23   Link #360
VTHokiePride

So I actually liked this show. Mainly because the protagonist wasn't stuck in a harem or saddled with a bunch of weaknesses like other isekai shows are. I thought Shin's op-ness was funny.

I'd stick around for another season or 2 since it looks like we have a demon baby on our hands. Also, at the end of the last episode when granny and gramps were alone, were they about to...

Tags
not-harem, op protagonist