AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-02-25, 04:08   Link #301
Kadia

With the reference on what i posted and asked in Discussion v13 subforum but i think discussing it here would be more appropriate.

i mentioned Tat should improve his "pushion" based attack, the one that he developed for engaging parasite, rather than inventing FAE based spell and that "pushion" based spell should be able to penetrate "Phalanx" and "Gram Armor".
Echizen answered me but let's me clarify sth here

-Isn't "pushion" based spell called "Far Strike"? The one he used to damage soul which is lethal to low to mid tier parasite.
-I know normal spell/pshion based spells are useless against"Phalanx", what i ask is that are "Phalanx" and "Gram Armor" vulnerable to soul/pushion attacks

Now some questions regard to "Ghost Walker" spell used by Zou and the one captured by Miyuki

-Is the spell being the fushion between "traditional" and "Modern" spell like "Parade" or the spell itself is originated from GAA only and hence only classified as traditional?
-It's mentioned that the spell only be detected by Mizuki's eyes, does that means the spell has some sorts of Pushion component?

p.s. i vaguely remember the info. in previous volumes as i read it quite some time ago hence i might get things mixed up thx
Kadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 07:23   Link #302
Iramohs

Quote:
With the reference on what i posted and asked in Discussion v13 subforum but i think discussing it here would be more appropriate.

i mentioned Tat should improve his "pushion" based attack, the one that he developed for engaging parasite, rather than inventing FAE based spell and that "pushion" based spell should be able to penetrate "Phalanx" and "Gram Armor".
Echizen answered me but let's me clarify sth here

-Isn't "pushion" based spell called "Far Strike"? The one he used to damage soul which is lethal to low to mid tier parasite.
-I know normal spell/pshion based spells are useless against"Phalanx", what i ask is that are "Phalanx" and "Gram Armor" vulnerable to soul/pushion attacks

Now some questions regard to "Ghost Walker" spell used by Zou and the one captured by Miyuki

-Is the spell being the fushion between "traditional" and "Modern" spell like "Parade" or the spell itself is originated from GAA only and hence only classified as traditional?
-It's mentioned that the spell only be detected by Mizuki's eyes, does that means the spell has some sorts of Pushion component?

p.s. i vaguely remember the info. in previous volumes as i read it quite some time ago hence i might get things mixed up thx
Far strike is just gram demolition which affects the astral body instead of the physical one. We already know it can penetrate psion armor(the narrator says this when he's fighting Tomitsuka) but we don't know if it could penetrate Phalanx. He's already mastered it though.

From the wiki: "Ghost Walker is a specialized branch of Mental Interference and Ancient Magic that selects positions based on fortune. The user consciously manipulates the target's direction, unrestricted by physical parameters. However, Ghost Walker also has a side of its own. It is a magic that manipulates the vectors. Based on the user's wishes, this secretive magic can redirect other people's attention to the desired location and people with their vectors scrambled will never locate their target. Much like someone who intends to walk straight forward but is actually walking in circles, or maybe seeing a carriage plainly in walking distance but is never able to catch up."
Iramohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-26, 11:50   Link #303
Echizen777

I am getting confused about Parade... We know it can change, shape, colour, sound, heat and position. During the sparring with Yakumo, he used Matoi to make an illusion at 30 yards to fool Tatsuya while his real body was much closer to him. Since Minoru was using and attacking Zhou at the same time it means Zhou didn't target his true body, doesn't it mean that Minoru was attacking with the illusion?
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 11:50   Link #304
ProxyAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
This is turning into a magic discussion but.. what do you mean? It's not the reason why Phalanx would be unable to stop Brionac, it's because of the sheer kinetic speed of the attack. Barriers, not only Phalanx can stop a lot of things.
While magic circumvents standard issues concerning the conservation of energy, that only applies during activation. Tatsuya speculates that the deficit is made up with energy from the parallel dimension. After activation, the law of conservation is followed.

Ultimately, while a particular magic might have strength or weaknesses regarding certain physical phenomena (speed at which it can change reality), it still reflects the need for the magic to be able to offset the energy change. In other words, to resist the phenomena of heightened energy states in atoms, the magic must expend equal or greater amounts of energy. That is why Phalanx has an upper limit on the ability to resist thermal energy.

So even if Phalanx was capable of resisting change at high fractions of light speed (such as ejected plasma), it would still have to be able to offset the difference of energy that particularized matter at a high energy state would require to stop or undo.
ProxyAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-05, 04:20   Link #305
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAccount View Post
Tatsuya's second MCA limitations are apparent when using modern magic (or modified Ancient Magic) with a CAD. CAD-based Modern magic constructs the Magic Sequence in the MCA. So the speed and potency of the magic is primarily dictated by the magician's MCA. In Tatsuya's case, his second MCA is too slow to be practical with complicated, high bandwidth magic.

By comparison, Ancient Magic splits the Magic Sequence into multiple steps (rituals) that are not reliant upon the MCA to construct the Magic Sequence. Also, Ancient Magic is "additive", which is to say that a magician can stack ritual upon ritual to increase power. This amounts to better magical 'leverage'. That is why it requires less power to activate large scale effects than Modern Magic. However, it's not practical for Tatsuya's typical combat rhythm because he doesn't have enough time.
Ancient Magic is also used with the MCA. IS, speed and the rest is important in it as well, even though they work differently and there are other various factors. It's not something which can be learned by someone who is not a magician. Even Modern Magic can be used without CAD, it's just that it would way too slow without one, talismans or charms are often used for Ancient Magic but CADs can be used as well and there are different styles, Mikihiko's SB Magic doesn't work like Yakumo's Ninjutsu and so on.

There are several processes even for Modern Magic, the difference is that it's done much faster than Ancient Magic, they can also be magics which are a mix of several processes, 2 definitions. The first are the processes when simply activating a Magic with a CAD, the other one are the processes necessary for activating certain magics.

Spoiler for Definitions and example of the 2nd one:

As for the first definition

Spoiler for First definition:

With his artificial MCA and Flash Cast, Tatsuya doesn't lack time at all. If he uses his artificial MCA without Flash Cast, his systematic magic is slow, has a low IS and small scale worse than all of the Course 2 students but with Flash Cast, the speed problem is solved, he can cast faster than many magicians with this technique however, the magic is still weak and too affect other magicians much, sometimes it doesn't affect them at all, but Loop Cast System solves this problem, that's why he was able to knock out Hanzo while using systematic magics, because his attack was a wave of 3 continuous attacks.

This is the same for Ancient Magic, he can Flash Cast it, that's how he used Mikihiko's Spirit Summoning techniques, but magics with more than 5 are impossible to him

Spoiler for Quote:

Spoiler for Volume 14:
Old 2015-03-05, 09:06   Link #306
ProxyAccount

Quote:
Ancient Magic is also used with the MCA. IS, speed and the rest is important in it as well, even though they work differently and there are other various factors. It's not something which can be learned by someone who is not a magician. Even Modern Magic can be used without CAD, it's just that it would way too slow without one, talismans or charms are often used for Ancient Magic but CADs can be used as well and there are different styles, Mikihiko's SB Magic doesn't work like Yakumo's Ninjutsu and so on.
Not correct. Ancient Magic does not use the MCA like Modern Magic does. Perhaps the best way to put it is that Ancient Magic is working out a math problem on paper, performing all calculations on paper. By comparison, Modern Magic is akin to using electronic calculators to perform the functions--faster than doing it manually, by hand, but dependent upon the performance capabilities of the calculator, as well as the user's ability to enter efficient equations.
Spoiler:

What you also have to keep in mind is that Modern Magicians basically look down on Ancient Magic for being cumbersome and slow, hence part of the reason for the gulf between Traditional Magicians and Modern Magicians.
Spoiler:

For Tatsuya, who has a defective MCA and had problems using CADs, Ancient Magic has long been in his repetoire.
Spoiler:
Old 2015-03-05, 14:49   Link #307
Echizen777

Quote:
Not correct. Ancient Magic does not use the MCA like Modern Magic does. Perhaps the best way to put it is that Ancient Magic is working out a math problem on paper, performing all calculations on paper. By comparison, Modern Magic is akin to using electronic calculators to perform the functions--faster than doing it manually, by hand, but dependent upon the performance capabilities of the calculator, as well as the user's ability to enter efficient equations.
Spoiler:

What you also have to keep in mind is that Modern Magicians basically look down on Ancient Magic for being cumbersome and slow, hence part of the reason for the gulf between Traditional Magicians and Modern Magicians.
Spoiler:

For Tatsuya, who has a defective MCA and had problems using CADs, Ancient Magic has long been in his repetoire.
Spoiler:
What I am saying is that Ancient Magic can only be used by Magicians, so you must have a MCA, Mikihiko's style is different but all of Ancient magics don't work the same way, there are several ones. A Magic Sequence is still created, and by analyzing the Sequence, Tatsuya can Flash Cast it from Memory depending on the processes.

They are underestimated because they are slow but it doesn't change that many of them are powerful as well, it's more common to use Modern magic because of its speed and versatility.

He already had Flash Cast + his artificial MCA at this period and the CADs were not very good back then, especially for a BS one like him. He probably just saw that Tendan somewhere during his training and copied it. He can replicate a magic as long as it's within the capabilities of his magic, if he could copy it, it means that this Ancient magic was not very complicated. If Tatsuya was able to learn all magics he would have known all of Yakumo's techniques. If he can't replicate immediately an existing technique, he will never be able to do so. The quote in my post above shows that he decoded Mikihiko's Spirit Summoning sequence to be able to use it.
Old 2015-03-05, 16:00   Link #308
ProxyAccount

Quote:
What I am saying is that Ancient Magic can only be used by Magicians, so you must have a MCA, Mikihiko's style is different but all of Ancient magics don't work the same way, there are several ones. A Magic Sequence is still created, and by analyzing the Sequence, Tatsuya can Flash Cast it from Memory depending on the processes.
Perhaps another way to look at it is that the MCA is like a magic compiler. Modern Magic is heavily dependent upon MCA performance. Ancient Magic, since the Magic Sequence is created outside the MCA, is non-dependent upon MCA performance. As a magician, you have a MCA, but knowing the ritual and having a sufficient psion count is what determines a powerful Traditional Magician. Mikihiko's style is given as an example that splits the creation of the Sequence into three. Other styles may use more or less and may use different rituals and mediums.

Modern Magic and CADs are more or less synonymous. Think of accounting practices or mathematics prior to the computer or even the electronic calculator. It was heavily reliant upon following a process. That's Ancient Magic in a nutshell.

Quote:
They are underestimated because they are slow but it doesn't change that many of them are powerful as well, it's more common to use Modern magic because of its speed and versatility.
They can be powerful. It's also mentioned that Modern magic is more powerful than Ancient, but that's probably relative to time. The more time that an Ancient Magic ritual takes, the more powerful the magic can be. However, as Tatsuya taught Mikihiko, Ancient Magic can have a lot of extraneous procedures in it that eat up time to no advantage.

Quote:
He already had Flash Cast + his artificial MCA at this period and the CADs were not very good back then, especially for a BS one like him. He probably just saw that Tendan somewhere during his training and copied it. He can replicate a magic as long as it's within the capabilities of his magic, if he could copy it, it means that this Ancient magic was not very complicated. If Tatsuya was able to learn all magics he would have known all of Yakumo's techniques. If he can't replicate immediately an existing technique, he will never be able to do so. The quote in my post above shows that he decoded Mikihiko's Spirit Summoning sequence to be able to use it.
Again, there's still the matter of combat tempo. Much of traditional magic is preparation before battle. Zhou's magic was a demonstration of how that works--years of magic ritual on the backend, with a simple Execute during battle. Tatsuya doesn't have the luxury of that.
Old 2015-03-08, 02:11   Link #309
Armando99

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Again, there's still the matter of combat tempo. Much of traditional magic is preparation before battle. Zhou's magic was a demonstration of how that works--[I
years[/I] of magic ritual on the backend, with a simple Execute during battle. Tatsuya doesn't have the luxury of that.

It is not like Tatsuya lacks combat experience. He has been a member of the 101st for some time. As he is their greatest asset and soldier, I'm sure he participated in a lot more operations than we know of including training and exercise.
Armando99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-08, 02:41   Link #310
Echizen777

Quote:

They can be powerful. It's also mentioned that Modern magic is more powerful than Ancient, but that's probably relative to time. The more time that an Ancient Magic ritual takes, the more powerful the magic can be. However, as Tatsuya taught Mikihiko, Ancient Magic can have a lot of extraneous procedures in it that eat up time to no advantage.
Modern magic is better because of speed and versatility, Tatsuya said that Ancient Magic is better for surprise attacks, is stealthier and has more firepower. I am saying that there are many strong Ancient Magicians but the cast is mostly about Modern Magicians. I can cite Yakumo, Kazama and Yanagi for example.

Quote:
Again, there's still the matter of combat tempo. Much of traditional magic is preparation before battle. Zhou's magic was a demonstration of how that works--years of magic ritual on the backend, with a simple Execute during battle. Tatsuya doesn't have the luxury of that.
All Ancient Magics don't need a lot of preparation, these kind of magics are certainly too much for his MCA anyway. He can't replicate that dog magic, Flash Cast makes him remember the sequences from his memory, they are stored in his 2nd MCA and use it at once. Spirit Summoning can be Flash Casted by him, Magics like Kurikara sword are difficult even for Ancient Magicians themselves, his MCA can't permit him to do it.
Old 2015-03-08, 03:50   Link #311
ProxyAccount

Quote:
Modern magic is better because of speed and versatility, Tatsuya said that Ancient Magic is better for surprise attacks, is stealthier and has more firepower. I am saying that there are many strong Ancient Magicians but the cast is mostly about Modern Magicians. I can cite Yakumo, Kazama and Yanagi for example.
The power can be subtle and because of the multiplicative effect that Ancient Magic can take advantage of, a complex, lengthy ritual can be quite powerful. By comparison, due to how Modern Magic through CADs are cast, the Magic Sequence limit limits power to the power the Magician can put out in a very short time. (Of course, the psion capacity and output of the Shiba siblings is far above typical Magicians, so there's a lot that they can do with ease.)

Think of Ancient Magic as using a sail boat, whereas Modern Magic is like using a power boat. The power boat is capable of high speed and power for short periods of time (as long as fuel is in the tank and the engine doesn't breakdown/overheat), but the sail boat can be used to cover far greater distances, given sufficient time.
Quote:
All Ancient Magics don't need a lot of preparation, these kind of magics are certainly too much for his MCA anyway. He can't replicate that dog magic, Flash Cast makes him remember the sequences from his memory, they are stored in his 2nd MCA and use it at once. Spirit Summoning can be Flash Casted by him, Magics like Kurikara sword are difficult even for Ancient Magicians themselves, his MCA can't permit him to do it.
Again, Ancient Magic doesn't use the MCA like Modern Magic does. The Activation Sequence isn't processed by the MCA. It is handled by the rituals. The Magic Sequence itself is handled differently and isn't produced by the MCA's calculations. That is why Ancient Magic is not as flexible as Modern Magic--things are determined well before then. Tatsuya already uses simple Ancient Magic for combat and he might very well prep some Ancient Magic without complex rituals. (We're not shown everything he does at night.) However, other (more lengthy) rituals would probably take too much time from his already crowded schedule.
Old 2015-03-08, 05:00   Link #312
Echizen777

Quote:

Again, Ancient Magic doesn't use the MCA like Modern Magic does. The Activation Sequence isn't processed by the MCA. It is handled by the rituals. The Magic Sequence itself is handled differently and isn't produced by the MCA's calculations. That is why Ancient Magic is not as flexible as Modern Magic--things are determined well before then. Tatsuya already uses simple Ancient Magic for combat and he might very well prep some Ancient Magic without complex rituals. (We're not shown everything he does at night.) However, other (more lengthy) rituals would probably take too much time from his already crowded schedule.
Without MCA, you can't use Magic, Ancient or Modern. Humans without a MCA can't do anything.

How Ancient Magic and SB magic work is explained here

They use charms , magic circles and other things but it's unusable if you have not the talent of magic, which requires a MCA, some even work with CADs and SB Magic is one of them. CADs were made to make modern magics faster, they are more efficient.

Flash Cast works by remembering the sequences from his memory, activation is made through his artificial MCA, it's like his MCA was a CAD. He can replicate simple techniques but he has not the potential for advanced techniques, that's just impossible.
Old 2015-03-08, 10:15   Link #313
ProxyAccount

Spoiler:

No MCA is involved in creating the Magic Sequence. Only the ability to interact with Information Bodies is required, whether through psions or pushions. (This is still a magic talent!) Tatsuya's limitations with Ancient Magic have more to do with the fact that he lacks talent in areas some Ancient Magic requires, such as the ability to interact with Spirits. He has excellent body and psion control, so he does well with Ancient Magic that require those talents. He could use a basic summoning spell because he can replicate the Activation Sequence with his MCA, not because he has a talent for interacting with spirits.
Spoiler:
Old 2015-05-03, 23:09   Link #314
Magsilent

Hey guys, i have been following mahouka for a while and i have some questions about magic process in mahouka. I'm sorry if there's some questions that's already asked, i didn't have time to read the whole tread.

In my interpretation, this is how modern magic works:

The C.A.D is storing Activation Sequences, and then sent the activation sequences to the brain, the brain the do the magic calculation process, and sent out magic sequences to alter the information body of the target.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Quote:
--So, what kind of things actually have information body? Is it only physical objects? Do energy and gravity have information body?

--Who's creating activation sequences? I assume activation sequences is like a blue print to create magic, for example if i want to use magic to move a chair to another place, there is already a formula created to do that and its stored in activation sequences.

--Is anyone that have psions and magic calculation area can use magic as long as they have activation sequences (blueprint), then what's the difference between skilled magicians and normal magicians besides innate ability?

--Is Tatsuya's Decomposition have activation sequences and magic sequences? Wiki said its directly interfere with Structural Information, but does the decomposition magic sequences 'Travelled to information body then decomposing' or its actually 'just decomposing like that' ?

--In the parasite's arc, its mentioned that Psychic Power doesn't require activation sequences to create magic sequences while flash cast still require activation sequences in the caster brain, so the parasites just use imagination to create magic sequences? If yes, what kind of imagination? Can they use healing type magic with psychic power?

--Can 'normal people' without elemental sight sees Activation Sequences and magic sequences? In nine school battle arc in the anime, tatsuya uses gram demolition to shoot compressed psion to destroy something like 'circle thingy', is that magic sequences or activation sequences?

--Is there magic that can deflect or negates energy? For example magic to negates nuclear explosions. Because in vol 1 i read the first magic is known when police officers uses his ability to negate / cancel / destroy nuclear (i don't really remember), what's excatly is he doing ?

I'm sorry if i asked too much and if my English isn't too good. I really appreciate some answers, thanks!

Last edited by Magsilent; 2015-05-03 at 23:51.
Magsilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-04, 01:05   Link #315
Echizen777

Information bodies are Eidos. Everything which can be altered by magic is an information body excepted things such as Parasites and MI magic which work differently.

The AS(Activation Sequence) is generated by the CAD when a magician starts using a magic, when he starts using one, a Magic Sequence is created and it's converted into AS.

Anyone with these two can cast magic as long as the CAD has been well calibrated for this but activation speed and other stats are not the same, Magicians have different casting speed.

Yes, it works by interfering with the information structure, it doesn't decompose stuff just like that, magics like that are very rare and impossible for many magicians, usually magic works by rewriting the Eidos, not by completely breaking them down or restoring them.

Yes, there's no different type of imagination, they think about it and it works, if they know healing magic they'd be able to do it.

They can see both, but they can't read activation sequences and decipher it because a multitude of numbers appear at the same time and it's different for every magics, Tatsuya not only needs his ES but his additional MCA which increased memory to know what is the magic used. He destroyed the Activation Sequences.

Some barriers magic are used like that.
Old 2015-05-04, 02:11   Link #316
Magsilent

Quote:
Information bodies are Eidos. Everything which can be altered by magic is an information body excepted things such as Parasites and MI magic which work differently.

The AS(Activation Sequence) is generated by the CAD when a magician starts using a magic, when he starts using one, a Magic Sequence is created and it's converted into AS.

Anyone with these two can cast magic as long as the CAD has been well calibrated for this but activation speed and other stats are not the same, Magicians have different casting speed.

Yes, it works by interfering with the information structure, it doesn't decompose stuff just like that, magics like that are very rare and impossible for many magicians, usually magic works by rewriting the Eidos, not by completely breaking them down or restoring them.

Yes, there's no different type of imagination, they think about it and it works, if they know healing magic they'd be able to do it.

They can see both, but they can't read activation sequences and decipher it because a multitude of numbers appear at the same time and it's different for every magics, Tatsuya not only needs his ES but his additional MCA which increased memory to know what is the magic used. He destroyed the Activation Sequences.

Some barriers magic are used like that.
Thank you for replying, i stil didnt get some though.

Does tatsuya decomposition have activation sequences and magic sequences before diassembling eidos?

It seems i have misunderstand something, i always thought activation sequences is like program, someone wrote it, and then store it in c.a.d, when magician want to use it, they convert the program in their c.a.d into electrical signal to the brain, thus activating magic sequences. Am i right or there's something missinh?
Magsilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-04, 02:59   Link #317
Echizen777

You are right, AS are calibrated thanks to engineers. Without a CAD there's no AS when he uses Decomposition, it's different when he uses one though. Tatsuya detects early signs of magic faster than the others thanks to ES and can decipher it in a fraction of seconds, with this he can destroy Eidos and magics, being able to read the sequences is required for his Gram Dispersion to work. It doesn't work if he can't analyze a target with ES(Parade) or if the target is formless from the Idea(GD armor).
Old 2015-05-04, 04:24   Link #318
ProxyAccount

The thing to remember is that Tatsuya was not a Magician by magic society's definition--he was a Supernatural Power User. That is, a throw-back to what Magicians originally were. Tatsuya created phenomena by direct application of psyons through his will alone. That was why he could, without a CAD, destroy those torpedoes faster than Sakurai Honami. That was why he was able to beat the 16 Parasite Dolls.

Magicians created Magic Sequences as part of the systematization of Supernatural Powers. They gave up overwhelming speed in exchange for accuracy, stability, and versatility. Modern Magic took it a step further and created CADs to replace rituals and other mediums with electronically-stored rituals (Activation Sequences) and synthetic crystal as a medium. Tatsuya uses his innate powers without Sequences at all. Only when he intentionally casts Magic through his CAD or Flash Cast does he use "real magic". The ability to cast systematized magic is what the artificial MCA granted him (as well as the ability to read Sequences).
Old 2015-05-04, 04:55   Link #319
Echizen777

He does use sequences, to use magic with a CAD an AS is necessary. That's why there's calibration and why I said he doesn't use AS when he has no CAD. Even Superpowers have magic sequences, that's why it was noted that GD works on them. In the end Systematic Magic is just the system of Superpowers but more refined, they all interfere with reality in different ways excepted Non Systematic type and that's why Zone Interference doesn't work on it.
Old 2015-05-04, 05:09   Link #320
ProxyAccount

No. True Supernatural Powers don't have Sequences. As the novel states, they create phenomena through their will alone--the direct application of Psyons. It is the same as what was observed when fighting the Parasites. The Parasites use Supernatural Powers, particularly telekinesis, without Magic Sequences. Supernatural Powers are the basis of Magic. That was the point of Miyuki's observation that Tatsuya knew more than anyone else that Magic and Supernatural Powers were one and the same. Her fear was that Magicians originated from 'demons'.

The novel states that through research, Supernatural Power became technology by systematizing magic--this is the creation of Magic Sequences to standardize magic. Magic therefore became a skill instead of just a talent.

When I read MKnR's history of magic and magicians, I am reminded of the history of computers (particularly programming) and computer specialists. Try it and you'll see what I mean.