Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-10-04, 10:04   Link #301
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
This show was a giant waste of potential. The setting is Mars but it looks exactly like America. The show set up an AI written songs vs human written songs plot early and then it just gets slowly dropped. Angela's stalker plot was completely pointless. The election business was resolved in 2 minutes. I could probably go on.

I thought this last episode was pretty bad. Tao just drops in to tell Angela she's not alone because they've both been "created" by the same doctor, and then proceeds to fuck off from her life forever. What was that even about? Totally random. The scene that's been hyped since the very beginning was a let down of course. On what grounds was the police even trying to stop them? They reserved the venue and were just singing. Who is this evil president who doesn't like music? We'll never know.

To be continued... in your mind. Welp, not mine. I'll quickly forget about this show.
Not to mention the whole final song that the show built up to ended up being a bit of a cheesy "kumbiyah". Yeah, it was a mess.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-05, 05:25   Link #302
Mister Twit

There's a lot to be said for Mars looking the same as Earth, implying that no matter what planet we go to humans are not going to magically know how to build things differently, live life differently, sing differently, treat people differently, etc. They're just going to be doing the same things in a different place. This was the anti-isekai.

In the end Angela was the only character that got to have a complete arc. Carole with her dad and Tuesday with her mom got little-to-no resolution. That to me was a bigger misstep than all the other story points that were hinted and then trivialized, exposing their purpose as problems of the week. So I guess the real MC was Angela and the title of the show was just a misdirection, a reference to her lost childhood love for singing which she found at the end. Sure, why not?

I liked the final song. I think it was the only full-length song in the entire show. That was pretty much my only problem with the music, all of it was less than 2 minutes long, which just isn't long enough. I hope they can release an OST with full-length versions of them all; I especially want to hear Skip's song and Crystal's Unbreakable.

Overall yeah it wasn't focused. Watanabe's shows rarely are, aside from the first and last few episodes. But I liked it anyway. I liked Bones' animation and direction. I liked the characters. I liked the music. I could have liked it more if it was less meandering, but that wasn't enough to turn me off.
Mister Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-28, 15:09   Link #303
Ghostfriendly

Question I felt was worth asking; does anyone know how Carole was able to legally (?) immigrate to Mars, while Amer had to go the illegal route? As I understand it Carole left for Mars, then things to got much worse on Earth and Amer had to escape the orphanage without identification. Amer spent 10 years on Mars before being deported so he much be a fair bit older than Carole. Possibly Carole was so young when she arrived on Mars, she got leave to remain as an unaccompanied minor? But what especially motivated her to travel to Mars in the first place? I feel like there's a whole story there to be extended in our minds.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-14, 13:53   Link #304
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

I dropped this after episode 4 but...

the insert song from episode 2, The Loneliest Girl, is definitely worth a listen.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-04, 13:08   Link #305
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Seemed like a good time to show this version of Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come," the title song for the final episode of C&T.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Twit View Post
There's a lot to be said for Mars looking the same as Earth, implying that no matter what planet we go to humans are not going to magically know how to build things differently, live life differently, sing differently, treat people differently, etc. They're just going to be doing the same things in a different place.
The Expanse has that ethos as well especially when it comes to the asteroid colonies. Mars, on the other hand, is a system of domed settlements, not the Martian Brooklyn we see in C&T.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2020-07-04 at 13:20.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music, sci-fi