AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2021-08-19, 13:52   Link #301
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Of course I will. We don’t mourn murderers (or attempted murderers), after all. If that’s where the discussion ends, that’s fine; I see no need to constantly vilify the Hong Kong police force for merely doing their jobs in this thread: this thread has more than served its purpose, as the unrest is no longer current.
Old 2021-08-27, 23:33   Link #302
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
Of course I will. We don’t mourn murderers (or attempted murderers), after all. If that’s where the discussion ends, that’s fine; I see no need to constantly vilify the Hong Kong police force for merely doing their jobs in this thread: this thread has more than served its purpose, as the unrest is no longer current.
I thought wwii war tribune already established that "merely doing their jobs" isn't an acceptable excuse to committing atrocities.
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-28, 00:15   Link #303
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

That's a false equivalence, and you're absolutely blowing things out of proportion – there are exactly zero deaths resulting from police action. The police, if anything, responded with much less force than expected against a molotov-and-brick-throwing mob. They acted with restraint and appropriate discretion given the circumstances.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2021-11-24 at 13:09.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-23, 04:29   Link #304
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
University of Hong Kong got rid of the Pillar of Shame late at night yesterday IIRC.

The statue's being kept. News from HK says thatsafety/colonial laws are used to justify the removal.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-31, 12:42   Link #305
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Yu Ominae: I'm probably missing something here, but is Hong Kong still enough of an issue so that every action the law enforcement takes is perceived as a slight against democracy? The unrest, protest and rioting this thread was originally about ended months ago.

To put it shortly, this thread has served its purpose; the thread starter isn't even around any more, and the topic is about as relevant as Chow Ting. The Financial Times put her on the list of "The FT’s 25 most influential women of 2021 ", where, writer Primrose Riordan argues, Chow Ting is "silenced [but] hardly forgotten". We're to assume that having lots of Twitter followers from Japan means something, but in reality, Chow Ting has done nothing of note in 2021, except finish serving her sentence.

Both articles like the Financial Times', and attempts to denigrate the Hong Kong government's actions, strike me as odd. Since the unrest has been quelled, it appears that all discussion here consists of is coming back intermittently to talk about how each and every action Hong Kong has taken is an erosion of democracy, of stripping away human rights, etc. Forgive my asking, but what precisely is the point of this here in an anime forum?
Old 2021-12-31, 21:06   Link #306
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

@Yu Ominae Video is now unavailable.

I see no problem with people continue to document the not so slow authoritarian clutch Beijing has on hong king, since the deal with the UK promised giving HK autonomy for 50 years and we are not even close.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-04, 22:46   Link #307
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

@magnamuscle

- Damn.

Found another one.

@Infinite Zenith

- The Pillar of Shame is a symbol of democracy and it's still a big thing. Things like this are still happening alongside the Stand and Citizen News closing up (I think HK Free Press is going to be next anyway). If you feel that this thread is not relevant, you're free to state your thoughts.

The protests/marches aren't around, but people in and out of HK are trying to do protests in their own way.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2022-01-04, 23:30   Link #308
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I would prefer if you started a new thread for this particular matter. The topic of democracy in Hong Kong is far removed from this thread's original purpose, which was started by an individual who intended to use it as an excuse for endorsing violence and denigrating law enforcement in Hong Kong. That particular individual's fate was a consequence of trying to garner support for such extremist thinking here.

Because the acts of violence, rioting and the bill said actions were undertaken to opposed have passed, and because the material you post is related to a longer-term topic, it would make sense that we have a new thread, rather than post here. Continuing to use this specific thread gives the impression that the violent unrest is still ongoing (it's stopped), and that people here agree with the thread-starter's belief in double standards (I certainly hope not; violence anywhere is not justified).
Old 2022-01-05, 09:54   Link #309
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

This can just be renamed. I'll talk to a mod tomorrow maybe. It's late here.

Old 2022-01-05, 10:59   Link #310
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I'd appreciate that. Something like "Hong Kong Current Events" would be fine. The thread's existing name did give the impression that any talk of Hong Kong was a tacit endorsement of what Toukairin, the thread-starter, was espousing. I've long felt that there's no place for the kind of petty insults and calls for violence that Toukairin had wanted in place of reasoned discussions, and as I've noted earlier, as long as no one agrees with Toukairin, I'm fairly open to things.
Old 2022-01-24, 06:07   Link #311
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Took a while, but thread title is updated to reflect all events past and present in HK before and after the NSL was implemented.

https://hongkongfp.com/2022/01/23/ho...ng-a-bit-thin/

An interesting editorial on the uncertainty of the NSL that can be applied to the press (I'd say free press, but those are rapidly dwindling).

Old 2022-01-24, 10:24   Link #312
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Actually, with the thread being named "Hong Kong Current Events", this opens the floor to discussions of Hong Kong's news in general, from civic matters and sports events, to entertainment and even weather: current events entails both the political and social, so these additional topics would be fair game for discussion.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2022-01-24 at 11:17.
Old 2022-01-24, 13:34   Link #313
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Actually, with the thread being named "Hong Kong Current Events", this opens the floor to discussions of Hong Kong's news in general, from civic matters and sports events, to entertainment and even weather: current events entails both the political and social, so these additional topics would be fair game for discussion.
Use the Japanese Events thread as a guideline, posts there are mostly government related; this forum does not have the traffic or a low average user age to justify speaking about banalities in this section.
Old 2022-01-24, 13:49   Link #314
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The "banalities", as you call them, still fit under news. Domestic policy is just as relevant to the topic, which doesn't need to be exclusively foreign policy and moreover, doesn't need to adhere to the thread's starter, Toukairin, and their stance that all posts here be critical or hostile towards the government's every action. With this in mind, if people can indeed post material here that isn't Toukairin-level aggressive, then it is worth consideration. If it's just bashing of whatever policy or action has occurred, that's tacitly endorsing the sort of thing that goes against what discussion is about.
Old 2022-01-24, 14:35   Link #315
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
.. that's tacitly endorsing the sort of thing that goes against what discussion is about.
Derailing a thread because you don't like the theme being discussed is what I could call being "against discussion", drop the passive aggressive stance already. If you notice the "news & politics" section is highly critical not just of china or xi jingping, but of many other governments and politicians..
Old 2022-01-24, 15:13   Link #316
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

No, I oppose the idea that Toukairin was espousing violence and endorsing the idea that people should be allowed to go out and shoot arrows at others for disagreeing with them. Besides myself, no one in this thread has once stood up to Toukairin and said that his way of thinking is wrong (rioting anywhere has no justification, and what happened in Hong Kong was no mere protest).

Since you're so quick to jump to conclusions about my stances regarding China despite my not having mentioned them, I'll state now that regarding China, I'm neutral. English language news doesn't give a valid picture any more than the Chinese news does, so I'm refraining from making a judgement. However, the idea that people in Hong Kong should be freely allowed to light things on fire and dox law enforcement is wrong, and I am saying that anyone who thought Toukairin had a point is also wrong. Is that clear enough?
Old 2022-01-24, 16:19   Link #317
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

@Infinite Zenith. *insert Froxen chrous* Toukairin has not posted since 2019! Stop using him as a straw man, he is no longer an active participant in this thread.

I think we live in a times where being merely neutral in politics is either a facade or shows disinterest on the theme at hand.
Old 2022-01-24, 16:22   Link #318
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Toukarin is no straw man and was aiming to persuade others to support the violence, as well as racist and bigoted perspectives. Until I get confirmation that people weren't agreeing with those methods, it will continue to be a sticking point. Are we supposed to accept that thrown bricks and molotovs are a valid means of "expression" people should gravitate towards at the first sign of a slight? That is the crux of the issue here, and what's more, suggesting that the rioters were "right" in any capacity sets a dangerous precedence. You have not adequately explained why there are merits in Toukairin's arguments or why we should acquiesce to his flawed beliefs. What's more, your investment in Hong Kong is bizarre, as are your assertions that anyone who's "neutral" has ulterior motives.

The reason why appearing "neutral" looks that way is because the Western media has successfully lied, cheated and strong-armed their ill-justified beliefs into the heads of those here, including yours, and anyone who's educated on the perspectives will know that as laymen, people do not have enough information to draw an informed opinion of things. Of course, if you do have such qualifications, then by all means, share them. Otherwise, your opinion is at best, equivalent to mine in validity. Either you accept that I am allowed to criticise Toukairin and encourage people to disagree with him (i.e. "both your and my opinions are valid"), or walk away (i.e. "your opinion is invalid, but then, so is mine"). In the meantime, I will post whatever Hong Kong related news I find to be noteworthy in this thread. Toukairin's objective was to foster hatred and discord, so getting this thread renamed and opening it up to other topics is what we can do to diminish and obliterate whatever legacy Toukairin wanted to leave.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2022-03-07 at 10:26.
Old 2022-01-25, 09:52   Link #319
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

As mentioned in the past, the HKPF "has given in" to use goose stepping.

When I lived in HK as a kid, I don't remember much if I see the RHKP marching. But I remember seeing old photos/videos online of them using the British/Commonwealth marching drills.

Old 2022-01-29, 09:46   Link #320
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-60180507

The Swire Bridge had some construction to remove the slogan painted to commemorate the Tiananmen massacre.