AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-09-03, 18:59   Link #281
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
Not only quality but translating LN's are quite expensive. Moreso than manga. Also, it is easier to sell individual volumes than bundled.

And the aim is not exactly to catch up. Audience doesn't seem to care about that.
They better hope their audience is still alive and still interested in reading Index from them. Since they will probably still be publishing this phase of the series years after NT ends.
Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 19:12   Link #282
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Not like OT is terrible or something. Like the reactions I posted on the last page, most probably have seen the anime and are coming from that or are aware the LN's existed. They need long term big-hit LN and that seems to be SAO and Index for now.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 19:21   Link #283
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Cover approved:
....What's with the dots ?

EDIT: Oh shit, I never realized the original had those dots as well for the hiragana of "Index"

Quote:

EDIT:Response to the cover because I feel some of you guys need it:
Lol good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames View Post
I just saw the release schedule for this series by Yen Press. I don't think this may benefit Yen Press in the long run if they planning on releasing the volumes for this series so far apart from each other. It would have been a smarter move to release the volumes in bundles. Since those who may become attracted towards this series by their releases may turn to the translations already available online. Since it is far ahead of what they currently are publishing. Plus who knows how many years it would take for them to make it to NT. Having it in bundles would have speed the rate on them catching up to the latest volumes in the series.
Two things,

One, if you were new to a series lets say something like Ore ga Shujinkou Janakatta Koro no Hanashi wo Suru which you have never heard of before, would you be willing to spend $14 on one volume, or $35 on three volumes bundle? Just to try it out?

Secondly, lol what online version ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 19:50   Link #284
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
....What's with the dots ?

EDIT: Oh shit, I never realized the original had those dots as well for the hiragana of "Index"

Lol good one

Two things,

One, if you were new to a series lets say something like Ore ga Shujinkou Janakatta Koro no Hanashi wo Suru which you have never heard of before, would you be willing to spend $14 on one volume, or $35 on three volumes bundle? Just to try it out?

Secondly, lol what online version ?
If I had the money I would give it a try or at least google it first to see if the information I gather about it would make a good purchase for me to buy.

You already know what online version i'm talking about. The fact that people probably have back-ups of it could affects sales if they find it.
Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 20:03   Link #285
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
If I had the money I would give it a try or at least google it first to see if the information I gather about it would make a good purchase for me to buy.
Even then, you're be cautiously optimistic about it. After all, people don't all have the same taste and their opinions might not be the same as yours.

Quote:
You already know what online version i'm talking about. The fact that people probably have back-ups of it could affects sales if they find it.
I would imagine those back-ups would be less than accessible. Sure some people would have it, but that's no different than the risk of someone buying the book and copy it themselves anyway.

Millions of people read manga scans online too, it's just a part of the industry cutting their losses.
Old 2014-09-03, 20:37   Link #286
dazo
english for dummies 2 ed.

i..... must resist......... the need of ..complaint for the font choice......
but seriously..why...even if the actual look great....why...

Quote:
Response to the cover because I feel some of you guys need it:
sorry bro, but as a vet of internet...i cant react like those dudes(..so many flame wars...so many good guys trolled..)

about the cover:
i like because is the original....but the "new version" is with the actual art!!

yen and original version:

yeah, yeah..i know...
____
Quote:
I just saw the release schedule for this series by Yen Press. I don't think this may benefit Yen Press in the long run if they planning on releasing the volumes for this series so far apart from each other. It would have been a smarter move to release the volumes in bundles. Since those who may become attracted towards this series by their releases may turn to the translations already available online..
this

Quote:
would you be willing to spend $14 on one volume, or $35 on three volumes bundle? Just to try it out?
a bundle is much more cheap....in ama*on a old novel is about 7 $
3x7=21 $

14 $ per book is a lot of money....to me is, at least, like "1.6 kg of bisteck or 4.6 kg of chicken....
Old 2014-09-03, 20:48   Link #287
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol good one
I should be use to it by now... but no.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 21:01   Link #288
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazo View Post
a bundle is much more cheap....in ama*on a old novel is about 7 $
3x7=21 $

14 $ per book is a lot of money....to me is, at least, like "1.6 kg of bisteck or 4.6 kg of chicken....
You don't understand what I mean- even if it is cheaper, you're speaking from the perspective of someone who already knows this series, not someone new to it.

What if they didn't like the first book and have no desire to continue? they'll just be wasting another $20, not just the $14 base price.

Are you willing to put your money on "And then, the Indestructible Regnale (Soshite Fumetsu no Shin'iki Fuuken)", first three volumes on the word of the Internet?
Old 2014-09-03, 21:55   Link #289
dazo

lets see:

if you create a "pack" more cheaper as a whole than buying two books ..you brain is going to choose the cheap choice.

even if you didn't like it, having spend less money that a person who buy two vols separately and didn't like either (vol 1- is lame but the review are good...lets wait for vol 2, vol 2 is worst...i done with this shit) give you a mental satisfaction...you didn't really waste your money...at the end of the day..it was still a good deal..you have paper for your puppy and give you trolling powers

if you are a new reader, having a pack cheaper with a normal publicity campaign , give you a incentive to buy.... even if you don't know the contents .

Quote:
Are you willing to put your money on "And then, the Indestructible Regnale (Soshite Fumetsu no Shin'iki Fuuken)", first three volumes on the word of the Internet?
you said this because you "know" how is the series, a real new reader don't.....and wtf is Soshite Fumetsu no Shin'iki Fuuken? ..no...by your word i don't want to know.....
..and i (as a company) want the money..so better take what i can while is still possible.
Old 2014-09-03, 22:09   Link #290
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
lets see:

if you create a "pack" more cheaper as a whole than buying two books ..you brain is going to choose the cheap choice.

even if you didn't like it, having spend less money that a person who buy two vols separately and didn't like either (vol 1- is lame but the review are good...lets wait for vol 2, vol 2 is worst...i done with this shit) give you a mental satisfaction...you didn't really waste your money...at the end of the day..it was still a good deal..you have paper for your puppy and give you trolling powers

if you are a new reader, having a pack cheaper with a normal publicity campaign , give you a incentive to buy.... even if you don't know the contents .
I mean sure, if you're a compulsive buyer with the need to justify your spendings.

Quote:
you said this because you "know" how is the series, a real new reader don't.....and wtf is Soshite Fumetsu no Shin'iki Fuuken? ..no...by your word i don't want to know.....
..and i (as a company) want the money..so better take what i can while is still possible.
Companies with that mentality would never hold out for long. Between choosing immediate profit and a loyal customer-base, one of these two would be a long term benefit.

Also, I have no idea what that series is like, but that's the point.
Old 2014-09-03, 22:44   Link #291
dazo

Quote:
I mean sure, if you're a compulsive buyer with the need to justify your spendings.
ohh come on! " compulsive buyer" is such a mean word.
and of course you need to justify yours spendings....we all do that...and this is a "luxury item"....if you don't want to justify yourself..you can always donate your money to Greenpeace/save the whales
also, welcome to the "business world" we have cookies with a nice 60% discount

Quote:
Companies with that mentality would never hold out for long. Between choosing immediate profit and a loyal customer-base, one of these two would be a long term benefit.
what!..you are joking right...
fake publicity, fake publicity everywhere...more if you sell "a feeling"
and a company can have both business at the same time....*profit*

Quote:
Also, I have no idea what that series is like, but that's the point.
nay
you on purpose give a bad context(feeling) to that series....
Quote:
Are you willing to put your money on
Quote:
on the word of the Interne
behold the power of publicity

----------------

Quote:
It wouldn't make sense to use the updated volume 1 cover because it wouldn't match with the rest of the illustrations in the book and the following volumes. So I want Haimura to redraw all illustrations of all of the OT volumes... just to be an entitled pain in the ass.
you know..they(the power behind the scenes) can always give him a bonus...
and by now.. i am pretty sure that he can re-draw without complication

Last edited by dazo; 2014-09-03 at 23:07. Reason: grammar T-T
dazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 22:53   Link #292
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

They could have bundles and individual sales. Though I don't see the problem with putting those in or announcing them later... I don't see why the sales have to skyrocket at the beginning as opposed to doing well like two years in or so when people finally start to really notice it... I mean... plenty of things start out modestly and then do much better as it goes on.

I also think by the way that the cover looked very nice, and I was very impressed with the way they made the font. That completely made my day when I saw it.

The fact that they are at least thinking about the fanbase even if they aren't catering to all of our completely insane/extreme needs (since we are Index fans) makes me feel positive about the translations. I'm definitely buying all of them. But now I actually feel like I also may really enjoy them.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 23:39   Link #293
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
ohh come on! " compulsive buyer" is such a mean word.
and of course you need to justify yours spendings....we all do that...and this is a "luxury item"....if you don't want to justify yourself..you can always donate your money to Greenpeace/save the whales
also, welcome to the "business world" we have cookies with a nice 60% discount
What does justifying your purchase have to do with donating money ?

In any case whatever, you and I just have different beliefs of what the mindset of the general buyers are going to be, which in turn governs which distribution methods Yen Press thinks is better.

And like what dniv said, there's no reason why they can't have a bundle down the line if the demand for it is high enough, Yen has already shown to response to fan demand.

Quote:
what!..you are joking right...
fake publicity, fake publicity everywhere...more if you sell "a feeling"
and a company can have both business at the same time....*profit*
This has nothing to do with what I've said. I was talking about instant profit vs long term consumer loyalty.

ie. the "Taking as much money straight up" mentality that you mentioned.

I mean, sure you can have that opinion, I'm just going to disagree with it.

Quote:
nay
you on purpose give a bad context(feeling) to that series....
That's only because you're paranoid ~_~

Quote:
behold the power of publicity
Which is beside my point.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2014-09-03 at 23:52.
Old 2014-09-04, 00:09   Link #294
dazo

Quote:
What does justifying your purchase have to do with donating money ?
everything, the act of justifying something is natural, and the only way (supposedly) to not feel your "buy" is a act of kindness, a disinterested act for another being..or so the people say.

the "remorse" for the use of money (spending) is a very interesting topic
well, the term "justify" appear because you said that
Quote:
a compulsive buyer with the need to justify your spendings.
my response is : "the feeling of justification is innate, but there are ways to avoid them"

Quote:
This has nothing to do with what I've said. I was talking about instant profit vs long term consumer loyalty.

ie. the "Taking the money straight up" mentality that you mentioned.

I mean, sure you can have that opinion, I'm just going to disagree with it
no, you said that " Companies with that mentality would never hold out for long. " witch is not true....almost all companies in the world use that mentality
and for the "Between choosing immediate profit and a loyal customer-base, one of these two would be a long term benefit." my response is that, you need to use all you can, this is a business..if you act with only one path..you are a bad businessman

Quote:
That's only because you're paranoid ~_~
....you have no idea...

...no, no, i dont have paranoia the most part of the time

Quote:
Which is beside my point.
nope, we were discussing the about "what you can buy, or how you can buy something new" but your example contain a specific modification that change the way a person understand the message.

and that is publicity, a publicity that damage the idea of a work, but also can work by giving a positive idea....which is my response to the first question

Quote:
And like what dniv said, there's no reason why they can't have a bundle down the line if the demand for it is high enough, Yen has already shown to response to fan demand.
true, but you lose the "momentum"
Old 2014-09-04, 00:30   Link #295
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

This is getting further and further from the current topic, and definitely not the place to discuss general business.

So I'm going to end of with this:

Spoiler:

Quote:
true, but you lose the "momentum"
First you have to know if you even have momentum.
Old 2014-09-04, 01:08   Link #296
dazo

hehe you are much better than "him"
Spoiler for okkk:

Quote:
This is getting further and further from the current topic, and definitely not the place to discuss general business.
So I'm going to end
okie dokie

Last edited by dazo; 2014-09-04 at 01:13. Reason: editing
dazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 01:43   Link #297
R.LocK
My turn

Actually, it was enough to say that all justification was brought up in hindsight to defend the idea of bundles. Anyway. The thing with bundles is, it's the same deal as manga: you build up the content and create fanbase to combine chapters into a tankobon later (if your rating's high enough, ofc). NA's pretty much a new market for Index, and Index is quite a big project. The biggest so far, even. So no, if there's no momentum from the start, you can't really move it along the road.

Besides. I feel like I was explaining this already, but I'll do it once again. To start things off, in the times when other publishers' licenses didn't pay off, Yen Press successfully published Haruhi, S&W and Book Girl to build up some movement in the market. Then, Kawahara's books heated things up to move things further down the road. And, finally, Yen On. Their road was risque enough to justify them not risking their biggest project any further.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 02:53   Link #298
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Arguing whether it's better to release Index in bundles rather than one book at a time is useless, since both methods have their own benefits and disadvantages. Yen Press just saw releasing one at a time as the better choice of the two. Besides if it's succesful they might release bundles later. Personally i see individual releases as the better choice to test the waters.
Old 2014-09-04, 10:50   Link #299
dazo

@R.LocK
no, you don't understand the idea of "justification"
and by this point we weren't talking about the bundles...or index.....it was a more deeper thing..

sorry for the of topic: i promise that i stop here

lets wait for a great success, so we can have our books in our homes.

it gonna be a good chance to enjoy index without a pc ( add here your way )...that bothersome lcd light in the night....
Old 2014-09-04, 12:36   Link #300
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

In addition to having more books... I'm hoping LN sales in the West will help Kamachi and Dengeki notice Western fans even more than recently. We weren't really noticed until very recently after all.

So now if the West also eventually helps have new discussions about the books... then they may cater to us (at least a little bit?) (just a hopeless dream ).

Regardless, the only thing to worry about with the Yen Press Releases is the influx of people who may be newcomers to LN threads... It may make it much harder to talk about spoiler stuff... since having late novel stuff dropped everywhere for people who are now reading the novels only in English... slowly... means that we have to wait and be careful on how we talk to them about the LN's... ... ...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote