AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-05-07, 02:11   Link #281
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusabireika View Post
but if i remember correctly she was train by tatsuya master correct so i think she is given a slight edge on normal cqc magician not the mari/tatsuya/erika cqc type
yeah she trained under yokumo but that mostly to defend against cqc attacks.

But compared to other combat magicians magic and skills she is far from them. Even in yokohama incident she used her magic to stop the bipedal tanks while the rest of the group could easily slice through them and take em out.
Its not about cqc ability its about her magic not being suited for combat purposes. Look at other combat magicians, their magic they used are centered around killing enemies they hardly use aoe magics or magics to disable , like tatsuya, mari, mayumi, katsuto, masaki also their skills are also developed around the same principle which is for combat.
Or look at the kuroba twins, ayako has the mock Teleportation used for high mobility to circumvent the enemies and take em by surprise using the sensory interference magic and same for fumyia, as seen in the monolith code and other missions his skills and magics are all combat oriented designed to take out the enemies, even spells he learn from tatsuya.
But miyuki was not raised as a combat magician, her magic is not developed around combat use her magic is more developed around the ability to use high level magics, maybe this was miya and maya intention, as the future head of the clan and public face of the yotsuba they needed someone who can show the high level of magic power the yotsuba have and not show how great a weapon she is.
SoboSobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 02:13   Link #282
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
At this point, i think it is all about affinity. Miyuki or Lina could learn Plasma or freezing magic respectively but there would be no point because they don't specialize in them. So to draw out your strengths, you would logically use magic that you have affinity for. Muspelheim combines lightning and fire to make plasma just like how Heavy Metal Burst is plasma magic perfected. So even if Miyuki could use Muspelheim, it would never be as strong as lina's.
thank you so affinity is the key I see

Im really worried what will happen to erika i hope rozen arent the antagonist on erika volume ._. erika is rated as my 2nd - 3rd favorite in the series beside Miyuki and Azusa
Old 2014-05-07, 02:17   Link #283
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoboSobo View Post

But compared to other combat magicians magic and skills she is far from them. Even in yokohama incident she used her magic to stop the bipedal tanks while the rest of the group could easily slice through them and take em out.
Its not about cqc ability its about her magic not being suited for combat purposes. Look at other combat magicians, their magic they used are centered around killing enemies they hardly use aoe magics or magics to disable , like tatsuya, mari, mayumi, katsuto, masaki also their skills are also developed around the same principle which is for combat.
Or look at the kuroba twins, ayako has the mock Teleportation used for high mobility to circumvent the enemies and take em by surprise using the sensory interference magic and same for fumyia, as seen in the monolith code and other missions his skills and magics are all combat oriented designed to take out the enemies, even spells he learn from tatsuya.
But miyuki was not raised as a combat magician, her magic is not developed around combat use her magic is more developed around the ability to use high level magics, maybe this was miya and maya intention, as the future head of the clan and public face of the yotsuba they needed someone who can show the high level of magic power the yotsuba have and not show how great a weapon she is.

??
All the blanche members with guns all died from Niflheim because they tried to hurt Tatsuya. She also made the statue fall on one of the blanche members. Her cocytus is an instant kill as well. All she does in a fight is unleash her zone interference on the whole area, put a barrier around herself and cast niflheim everywhere around her. Voila, everyone is dead in a short while.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 02:18   Link #284
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Quote:

Both Mari and Mayumi already said that Miyuki's freezing magics qualify for combat. Heck, she even defeated Lina who's Sirius, the strongest combative magician in USNA.
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 02:18   Link #285
kazakiri
Nobody Knows

Quote:
I'm not seeing how Niflheim, or deceleration field(where she slows down molecules to suffocate you with nitrogen or deactivates the spell to cause an explosion, used against lina) couldn't be used to destroy people or is barely viable. her specialty is large scale, wide area spells so she would be more useful for taking out small armies than single people.
This ^

Similar to how Hattori is specialized in medium-ranged wide area attack magi, Miyuki as noted above is quite capable as a combat magician. and if anyone doubts her prowess in close quarters I would suggest they reread Miyuki VS Line because Lina is not just a 'Strategic Class' but is also well versed in 'Military Combat Tactics'

While I do agree with Sobo that Miyuki's magic is not suited for Covert Operations
I don't recall Mari commenting as such about Miyuki's magic not being combat worthy. Could I please have the quote or the Volume/Chapter?

Quote:
Which part with Honoka? I don't recall anything new about her being added. I do feel like the first scene with Mayumi was a little contradictory too.
Oh sorry I rechecked and that was my misconception, since in the novel instead of explicitly stating that Honoka cast the magic to stop the fight it was implied that it was her through her thanks and apology. My bad but I stand by my view that if it doesn't contradict and acts as a supplement instead..
kazakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 02:19   Link #286
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
??
All the blanche members with guns all died from Niflheim because they tried to hurt Tatsuya. Her cocytus is an instant kill as well. All she does in a fight is unleash her zone interference on the whole area, put a barrier around herself and cast niflheim everywhere around her. Voila, everyone is dead in a short while.
Correction: I think she just freeze their mind temporarily i think

Quote:
Vol 2. I think they are lucky ^^? not to be overkill by miyuki
Fortunately, due to the Blanche members being caught by chance in a cold sleeve (owing to the nature of the magic, the internals of the members had been snap frozen in the blink of an eye, avoiding membrane rupture), it seemed they had not suffered irreplaceable losses to their flesh .
She used her killing move on yokohama when her friends bf are almost killed by hiding enemy poor enemy freeze to death by Merciless Snow Queen Miyuki
Quote:
Volume 6
Quote:
Miyuki had lost her temper. Yet, using despicable means to hurt people she knew was enough to ignite the furnace of wrath within her.

Despite her rage, her brain remained calm as usual.

Even if she jumped down on reflex, she had a perfect grasp on the gravity that pulled her down.

There was no need to use a CAD.

Now, with her magic territory released, the only thing she needed to consider was how to construct her favorite unique magic.

Miyuki wasn't just sealing Tatsuya's power.

In order to seal Tatsuya's power, Miyuki spent half of her own magic on her brother.

The fact that Miyuki's magic went out of control was a side effect of suppressing her brother's magic.

Now, with Tatsuya's might unleashed, Miyuki's personal power was also released.
Quote:
By this action alone, the world froze.
Quote:
It was as if the world centered around Miyuki had frozen solid.

The surface of the road and the walls were not covered in frost.

What was frozen was the world of the consciousness.

There was no change from Mari, Kanon, Sayaka, as well as the critically injured Kirihara and Isori when they brushed against that wall.

However, the enemy soldiers who were pointing guns or getting ready to throw grenades, regardless of whether they were regular troops or guerrillas, all stood there stiffly without moving a muscle.

They weren't frozen, merely halted in place.

Rather than their physical bodies freezing, their minds were frozen.

External Systematic·Mental Interference Magic "Cocytus".

The frozen mind shall never awaken.

The frozen mind cannot comprehend death. There was no way to even inform the flesh that death was upon them.

The bodies bound by their frozen minds could not even die. They could only collapse like a row of statues, forever captured in the postures before the frost came.

No one could explain what Miyuki did.

But all beheld the image of the frozen world.

Everyone's instincts informed them that Miyuki did something.

Even without words, they could feel that mind-crushing terror.
Old 2014-05-07, 02:25   Link #287
IceHism

Quote:
Correction: I think she just freeze their mind temporarily i think

She used her killing move on yokohama when her friends bf are almost killed by hiding enemy poor enemy freeze to death by Merciless Snow Queen Miyuki
What?

Quote:
Before the young girl's slim figure, two rows of men stood there, unable to move at all.
Both mentally — and physically.
The floor was covered by a solid layer of white frost.
The only place that shared the same season as the outer world was a small circle that spread around where the young girl stood.
The white mist condensed into a tornado.
The frost turned the air bitterly cold.
She raised her right hand.
In this reality, she stood like the Queen of Ice about to render judgement upon the damned.
"You are all very unfortunate."
Her tone was entirely different from usual.
However, these words that were filled with majesty, judgement, and authority were in no way incompatible with her appearance.
"If you had not raised your hand against Onii-sama, I had planned to go easy on you."
The cold air slowly rose.
Gradually, the cold corroded their bodies.
The faces of the men were contorted with sheer terror and utter despair.
"I am not merciful like my Onii-sama."
The white mist rose to throat level.
"Pray. Pray that you will retain your pitiful lives."
The chilling air that utterly covered the men from head to toe abruptly turned the atmosphere solemn.
Wide Area Oscillation Speed Magic "Niflheim".
Silent screams permeated the deepening mist.
There is absolutely no indication that these men survived the spell which proves that Niflheim can cause very lethal damage. Miyuki wouldn't even be depressed after using Niflheim if they didn't die.
Old 2014-05-07, 02:29   Link #288
Rava

Quote:
What?

There is absolutely no indication that these men survived the spell which proves that Niflheim can cause very lethal damage. Miyuki wouldn't even be depressed after using Niflheim if they didn't die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 2, Chapter 12
As expected, it seemed she repented her use of 'Niflheim' as having been too much.
Fortunately, due to the Blanche members being caught by chance in a cold sleeve (owing to the nature of the magic, the internals of the members had been snap frozen in the blink of an eye, avoiding membrane rupture), it seemed they had not suffered irreplaceable losses to their flesh .
Sounds an awful lot like they did survive.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 02:29   Link #289
kazakiri
Nobody Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
Your excerpt from Volume 2 implies that had Miyuki not handled her magic prudently they would have died..

Quote:
Miyuki revealed an adorable smile as if she was incredibly pleased.

Within that smile, Chen realized what his fate would be.

It was only now that Chen discovered that his body temperature was dropping at an unnatural rate.

"You can take a small nap. I've made great strides so I guarantee you will not sleep forever."

Accompanied by that voice, Chen's consciousness was submerged in darkness.
Sleep Forever in the above excerpt implies that Miyuki's magic if not properly toned down would normally kill people...

Also let's not forget most of what Miyuki's shown are A rank Magics, not in terms of destructive power, but in terms of difficulty. It has been stated that 5 Processes are more than enough for combat oriented magic.

Mikihiko's Lighning Magic rates as C rank according to Tatsuya and it did a stellar job at taking out members of No-Head Dragon. Just based on this if Miyuki wanted to wield 'Combat Specific Magic' who knows what kind of monster we'd be seeing...
Old 2014-05-07, 02:30   Link #290
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
What?

._. maybe i have misread im sorry

but the most scary that miyuki did was on yokohama volume which she use her magic without hesitation due to her said anger
Old 2014-05-07, 02:34   Link #291
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
I have been 1-uped but i will not allow that to happen again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 9
"It's fine as my loss."
However, there was no need for that worry. A helping hand extended from the most unexpected place.
"At that moment, I most certainly was being overpowered. If I had transferred capacity to another magic in that state, I likely could have been overwhelmed by Miyuki's magic and lost my life. At the least, I would have been in no condition to fight further."
Niflheim can kill
Old 2014-05-07, 02:37   Link #292
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Niflheim can kill
well it still depend if miyuki is calm the enemy can survive even if they are frozen however if she mad or angry in any sort of way they better run because there body and mind will totally frozen forever

I guess this are the 2 factors if they can survive or not on miyuki freezing magic
Old 2014-05-07, 02:45   Link #293
kazakiri
Nobody Knows

Quote:
well it still depend if miyuki is calm the enemy can survive even if they are frozen however if she mad or angry in any sort of way they better run because there body and mind will totally frozen forever

I guess this are the 2 factors if they can survive or not on miyuki freezing magic
'Cocytus' is fundamentally different from 'Nifleheim' and also I think Miyuki would be much more terrifying calm as opposed to angry, as she'd be able to make logical decisions and choose the appropriate actions for combat.

What I mean is, although her 'Combat Ability' is affected by her state of mind if it's just to kill then Miyuki in either state wouldn't have any problems.

Survive if frozen right? That would depend on how Miyuki handles it, how merciful she's feeling. Regardless if they survive, unless they were parasites they wouldn't be able to use magic in that state
Old 2014-05-07, 02:46   Link #294
hakazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazakiri View Post
If you read my post, I was not comparing Tatsuya to Miyuki, nor what kind of dirty jobs he did. I have 1 though, it's in the Manga 'Mahouka Kouko no Yuttousei', although this was after Tatsuya became a guardian, he was ordered to capture a fugitive magician, who's magic was something similar to pyrokinesis. In the end Miyuki took care of the guy in a direct confrontation, but that happened as a result of him appearing before Miyuki and causing Havoc.

As for Fumiya's dirty jobs; we have too few of those aswell, at most around 3 or 4 are mentioned and even then details are vague.
Actually he can reject the order, the reason why he still doing it is because Miyuki is there.

Tatsuya doing the job because Miyuki. His main duty is protect Miyuki. There's no need to save other people.

Quote:
This ^

While I do agree with Sobo that Miyuki's magic is not suited for Covert Operations
Why not ? She has Cocytus.

As long as Tatsuya is with her. They will finish the job perfectly.
hakazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 02:51   Link #295
Rava

Quote:

Niflheim can kill
Yes, it probably can.

You just chose a very bad example earlier.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 02:51   Link #296
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophis View Post
Both Mari and Mayumi already said that Miyuki's freezing magics qualify for combat. Heck, she even defeated Lina who's Sirius, the strongest combative magician in USNA.
You call that face to face supervised match real combat? That was just a thing to see who's magic power is better.
Real life combat is not like that, you don't just sit in one place and cast magic. In real battle there are a million different things happening at the same time, bullets, grenades, explosive shells,artillery barrages, sniper rounds, missiles, bombs, magics, surprise attacks, ambushes, bombardments a lot of things to deal with.
No matter how powerful her ZI or DF is if a High Explosive artillery round would explode 10 15 meters away from her shes gonna get shredded to pieces by the blast , the air blast charged with high kinetic energy, the thousands of degree heat from the explosion, the shrapnel from the bomb, the debris from the round hitting the ground or a building. All those things can`t be stopped with ZI or DF.
The only thing we know to stop those is phalanx but that's far outside miyuki's capabilities.
How will she defend against a high power sniper round? tatsuya barely saw it coming and he has ES, miyuki would probably be hit before she even realizes what happened.
When i said combat magician i meant a combat magician trained to cope and to deal with situations like this, when they arise.
And her cocytus as deadly as it is has limited range, more like she needs visual contact to target the enemies, if the enemies are engaging outside her visual range she can't use that.
Don't get me wrong she is powerful and dealing face to face, one on one battle between magicians she definitely won't lose but that's very different from being a combat trained magician like the kuroba twins are, or like masaki is, or like tatsuya etc.
SoboSobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 02:54   Link #297
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Oi oi... being a bit bloodthirsty this morning?

The Blanche guys hit by Miyuki's Niflheim didn't even take permanent damage. Volume 2, chapter 12:

Quote:
As expected, it seemed she repented her use of 'Niflheim' as having been too much.

Fortunately, due to the Blanche members being caught by chance in a cold sleeve (owing to the nature of the magic, the internals of the members had been snap frozen in the blink of an eye, avoiding membrane rupture), it seemed they had not suffered irreplaceable losses to their flesh.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 03:00   Link #298
kazakiri
Nobody Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakazee View Post
Actually he can reject the order, the reason why he still doing it is because Miyuki is there.

Tatsuya doing the job because Miyuki. His main duty is protect Miyuki. There's no need to save other people.

Why not ? She has Cocytus.

As long as Tatsuya is with her. They will finish the job perfectly.
1. There was no indication that he was going to reject the order, it even stated

Quote:
"seems like they want to deliver the materials for my case"
the above implies that he would have been called on regardless of his will.

2. You do realize that Miyuki is Using half her 'Magic Power' to seal Tatsuya's and normally it's not supposed to be undone. Furthermore the 2 times she used Cocytus the area was already under her dominion. Remember that there are sensors that can detect the usage of magic.

Quote:
You call that face to face supervised match real combat? That was just a thing to see who's magic power is better.
Real life combat is not like that, you don't just sit in one place and cast magic. In real battle there are a million different things happening at the same time, bullets, grenades, explosive shells,artillery barrages, sniper rounds, missiles, bombs, magics, surprise attacks, ambushes, bombardments a lot of things to deal with.
No matter how powerful her ZI or DF is if a High Explosive artillery round would explode 10 15 meters away from her shes gonna get shredded to pieces by the blast , the air blast charged with high kinetic energy, the thousands of degree heat from the explosion, the shrapnel from the bomb, the debris from the round hitting the ground or a building. All those things can`t be stopped with ZI or DF.
The only thing we know to stop those is phalanx but that's far outside miyuki's capabilities.
How will she defend against a high power sniper round? tatsuya barely saw it coming and he has ES, miyuki would probably be hit before she even realizes what happened.
When i said combat magician i meant a combat magician trained to cope and to deal with situations like this, when they arise.
And her cocytus as deadly as it is has limited range, more like she needs visual contact to target the enemies, if the enemies are engaging outside her visual range she can't use that.
Don't get me wrong she is powerful and dealing face to face, one on one battle between magicians she definitely won't lose but that's very different from being a combat trained magician like the kuroba twins are, or like masaki is, or like tatsuya etc.
The Kuroba are specialized for intelligence gathering and covert operations. Poisoned Bees is a 'Kuroba' specialty stated to be suited for assassinations. Also the Kuroba moves in a group, it would be stupid for any combat magician to engage a large force by himself/herself

Tatsuya is far from your average 'Combat Oriented Magician' so using him against a sniper rifle is not a fair comparison. Mari who specializes in Anti-Personel combat wouldn't be able to detect that. 'Katsuto' wouldn't be able to use 'Phallanx' against something that far either, even more so if he can't see it coming.. Mayumi would but that's because of her specific Magic.

Also Minami is noted for her barrier magic even among the Sakurai series

Freeze Flame would take care of any possible combustion, She is also quite capable of putting up a barrier for herself just like she did when Tatsuya dispelled Nifleheim and Muspleheim.

I suggest you reread Volume 7 specifically the battle of 101 against GAA because it seems like your specific definition of combat is an outright warzone

You forget she is an heir candidate to the Yotsuba, now please tell me who the Yotsuba are, what they specialize in and why Miyuki was selected as heir.
Old 2014-05-07, 03:05   Link #299
hakazee

Quote:
2. You do realize that Miyuki is Using half her 'Magic Power' to seal Tatsuya's and normally it's not supposed to be undone. Furthermore the 2 times she used Cocytus the area was already under her dominion. Remember that there are sensors that can detect the usage of magic.
Oh so what ?

Mitsugu always use his poison bee, Tatsuya always use mist dispersal, Fumiya use his mental magic.

What's the problem ? Nothing......... No problem
Just delete the records.
hakazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 03:06   Link #300
IceHism

Quote:
Besides the fact that competent mages can make objective barriers, Miyuki also has deceleration zone to slow down everything that approaches her to reduce the power/impact of things that come at her.

I'm sorry but i really want to ask. What will the kuroba twins and Masaki do when they are bombarded by heavy artillery rounds that explode 10 meters away from them or shot by data fortified sniper rounds that take .05 seconds to reach you from 800 meters away. If tatsuya couldn't dodge but at least had regrowth, i don't even need to think to know what would happen to any other mage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Oi oi... being a bit bloodthirsty this morning?

The Blanche guys hit by Miyuki's Niflheim didn't even take permanent damage. Volume 2, chapter 12:
hey hey hey, you're missing the post where i acknowledged my mistake, i posted another example already.