AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2015-09-17, 22:24   Link #281
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
I wonder why does it have to be hurt based on history and also based off on?
Ever since I was born, I did not really care about between relationship between other countries.
And now, I'm not really serious about what is right and wrong.
All I'm doing is badmouthing whether both directly and indirectly about bad sides of them just to be satisfied.
It has become my very bad habit now.

Even though the bill is successfully passed, I still hope for the Defense Forces and other countries soldiers won't hold animosity when they are going to fight alongside against the true enemy they are fighting against.
And I mean within oneself, not necessarily China, Russia, and other criminal organizations.
Because there are people still alive that went through that harsh era. That would be the main reason with a side reason that it makes for a good bargaining chip.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-21, 03:35   Link #282
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 22:59   Link #283
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Is World War II finally coming to an end?

Japan and Russia never signed a peace treaty when the War ended because of disputes over the Kuril islands. Abe and Putin met on a number of occasions after the Japanese PM took office with the avowed goal of resolving these issues and declaring an end to the official state of war between the two countries. Those meetings came to an end in 2013 as Russia became more focused on Ukraine and Syria. The two leaders met at the UN this week, and Putin has announced he will visit Japan in the coming months to reopen the negotiations. Abe was clearly excited at the possibility!

SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-30, 10:15   Link #284
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Slightly off topic but lol at the way Abe jogs in
Old 2015-09-30, 10:34   Link #285
sheenad18

Hmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post

Now that China needs to be thinking twice before going to war again.

Off Topic: Wondering what would happen to the Philippines if China invades it.
sheenad18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-30, 12:47   Link #286
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Slightly off topic but lol at the way Abe jogs in
Rachel Maddow found that sequence so amusing she replayed it over a dozen times on last night's show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenad18 View Post
Off Topic: Wondering what would happen to the Philippines if China invades it.
It would put the US in a very difficult position given our treaty obligations to the Philippines. That agreement was reaffirmed as recently as 2011 when then Secretary of State Clinton visited Manila.

I don't really see China invading the Philippines as much as expanding its control over disputed islands like the Spratlys. I worry mostly about events like these escalating and dragging the US into a conflict it would prefer to avoid at all costs. The assassination of Franz Ferdinand in 1914 is a relevant historical example, a trivial event in itself, but one that lead to millions of deaths because of alliances with the "Great Powers."

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2015-09-30 at 12:58.
Old 2015-09-30, 17:02   Link #287
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I don't really see China invading the Philippines as much as expanding its control over disputed islands like the Spratlys. I worry mostly about events like these escalating and dragging the US into a conflict it would prefer to avoid at all costs. The assassination of Franz Ferdinand in 1914 is a relevant historical example, a trivial event in itself, but one that lead to millions of deaths because of alliances with the "Great Powers."
Never say never. There was an idiot in Argentina who had the "brilliant" (but truly reckless) idea of invading a couple of islands from the United Kingdom not knowing what would happen next.

If we make comparisons with 1914, the bigger problem here IMHO is that China has taken an approach that has its share of similarities with what Germany did under Wilhelm II with the sole purpose of openly challenging the biggest superpower at the time, especially through naval expansion. That's the bigger problem because no one in the region ever thought of expanding their armed forces until Beijing chose to use a more aggressive approach a few years ago. No matter what the pro-PRC apologists will say, the common denominator points towards China screwing around.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2015-09-30 at 18:09.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 15:41   Link #288
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

New York Times Editorializes on New Okinawan Base

But are they actually suggesting the US and Japan should stop development? It's hard to tell.
Old 2015-12-19, 13:29   Link #289
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This is really a story about Korean politics, but since it deals with the issue of "comfort women," I thought I'd post it here.

Disputing Korean Narrative on ‘Comfort Women,’ a Professor Draws Fierce Backlash

Quote:
In February, a South Korean court ordered Ms. Park’s book, “Comfort Women of the Empire,” redacted in 34 sections where it found her guilty of defaming former comfort women with false facts. Ms. Park is also on trial on the criminal charge of defaming the aging women, widely accepted here as an inviolable symbol of Korea’s suffering under colonial rule by Japan and its need for historical justice, and she is being sued for defamation by some of the women themselves.

In trying to give what she calls a more comprehensive view of the women’s lives, she made claims that some found refreshing but many considered outrageous and, in some cases, traitorous.

In her book, she emphasized that it was profiteering Korean collaborators, as well as private Japanese recruiters, who forced or lured women into the “comfort stations,” where life included both rape and prostitution. There is no evidence, she wrote, that the Japanese government was officially involved in, and therefore legally responsible for, coercing Korean women.
Old 2015-12-19, 15:31   Link #290
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Never say never. There was an idiot in Argentina who had the "brilliant" (but truly reckless) idea of invading a couple of islands from the United Kingdom not knowing what would happen next.

If we make comparisons with 1914, the bigger problem here IMHO is that China has taken an approach that has its share of similarities with what Germany did under Wilhelm II with the sole purpose of openly challenging the biggest superpower at the time, especially through naval expansion. That's the bigger problem because no one in the region ever thought of expanding their armed forces until Beijing chose to use a more aggressive approach a few years ago. No matter what the pro-PRC apologists will say, the common denominator points towards China screwing around.
If anyone is acting like Wilhelmine Germany it is the US, not China, especially wrt erratic policy decisions and aggressive posturing. The Chinese reaction is one that was delayed to prior US actions (especially the 2001 P3 plane incident). That's why the PRC understands why the US will use whatever means at its disposal to maximize its position first and foremost, Iraq being another great example.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 15:38   Link #291
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
This is really a story about Korean politics, but since it deals with the issue of "comfort women," I thought I'd post it here.

Disputing Korean Narrative on ‘Comfort Women,’ a Professor Draws Fierce Backlash
I read bits of that book on a blog that highlighted the main contents. TBH, I think she did a good job at supporting her point with hard evidence. That professor also called out the dark past of the group that "demands" justice for the comfort women as being pro-North Korea sympathizers who seek to destroy any opportunity for both Japan and South Korea to move closer to each other.

Regardless of how people see things, the pimps (always local people) are always reaping the benefits of sex trade during wartime for centuries. They are the ones should be put to the sword if abuse there was in any kind.
Old 2015-12-19, 15:46   Link #292
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
If anyone is acting like Wilhelmine Germany it is the US, not China, especially wrt erratic policy decisions and aggressive posturing. The Chinese reaction is one that was delayed to prior US actions (especially the 2001 P3 plane incident). That's why the PRC understands why the US will use whatever means at its disposal to maximize its position first and foremost, Iraq being another great example.
Funny. The only country I see using aggressive posturing these days is the country that is currently involved in 12 territorial disputes with various Asian neighbours.

I still feel comfortable enough with the US being where they are as much as most people in the late 19th Century felt when Her Majesty Queen Victoria's empire was unchallenged.
Old 2015-12-19, 17:11   Link #293
aldw

Quote:
Funny. The only country I see using aggressive posturing these days is the country that is currently involved in 12 territorial disputes with various Asian neighbours.

I still feel comfortable enough with the US being where they are as much as most people in the late 19th Century felt when Her Majesty Queen Victoria's empire was unchallenged.
And each of those countries are either puppets of the US or sympathetic to them in one form or another (economic aid in particular), which is why the actions of China (or Russia for that matter) are fully in the regular sort of strategic maneuvering necessary for countering actions of hostile powers. Especially given US actions in Syria, Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan the ones most sympathetic to the US position and actions are invariably their ideological fellow travelers to begin with.
Old 2015-12-19, 17:27   Link #294
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
And each of those countries are either puppets of the US or sympathetic to them in one form or another (economic aid in particular), which is why the actions of China (or Russia for that matter) are fully in the regular sort of strategic maneuvering necessary for countering actions of hostile powers. Especially given US actions in Syria, Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan the ones most sympathetic to the US position and actions are invariably their ideological fellow travelers to begin with.
What the hell was that, mate? Among those countries currently disputing land with China are North Korea, India, Vietnam, Bhutan, and Malaysia... countries that are nowhere near being puppets of anybody. Dear oh dear, the revisionism is strong here.

I wonder if mods can issue thread bans though.
Old 2015-12-20, 00:24   Link #295
aldw

Quote:
What the hell was that, mate? Among those countries currently disputing land with China are North Korea, India, Vietnam, Bhutan, and Malaysia... countries that are nowhere near being puppets of anybody. Dear oh dear, the revisionism is strong here.

I wonder if mods can issue thread bans though.
Going on claiming "China is always wrong, everyone else is right" doesn't make it so. India, North Korea et al made their claims even when China pointed out there were disputes or lack of demarcation about them, and in North Korea's case even gave major concessions as well as settling the land boundary with Vietnam, so it isn't China who is pushing those points to begin with.

If you can't handle someone arguing your points and claim having a disagreement as "revisionism", that's no different than an ideologue shouting down opposition. The mods at least can tell the difference between a reasoned disagreement and a diatribe, and that's my final word on this subject.
Old 2015-12-28, 09:55   Link #296
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Japan and South Korea agree WW2 'comfort women' deal

I'm surprise they manage to settle this issue with both countries involved.

Hopefully this will end a very dark part of history and move both countries from the past and into the future.
Old 2015-12-28, 11:59   Link #297
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised.

It's been clear for a while now that both countries recognise a far greater strategic threat looming over their region, and they both know it's time to put aside their differences — or at least ameliorate them — so as to focus on the bigger picture.

South Korea is increasingly positioning itself as the middleman, while Japan — due to historical reasons — will play a more overtly confrontational role.

Southeast Asian countries will no doubt applaud this development, although none will openly say the real reason why.

It's for the same reason they've all stayed mostly silent about the recent "freedom of passage" missions launched by the United States in regional waters.

It's not that they don't support the moves, but rather that some things are better left unsaid.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-28, 13:16   Link #298
rladls2121

What is going to happen the history books in Japan now?
If this is true, then some people might think those books are now useless.
This news relating to the history isn't what is written in the book is it?

And those female statues are going to be removed due to some agreement between them I guess.
Though there still are going to be lot of oppositions.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-28, 17:00   Link #299
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Japan and South Korea agree WW2 'comfort women' deal

I'm surprise they manage to settle this issue with both countries involved.

Hopefully this will end a very dark part of history and move both countries from the past and into the future.
this only settle things if Japan doesn't re-write the history books again. Japan put the revisionist stuff in the history books again, this issue will rear right back up.
Old 2015-12-28, 19:12   Link #300
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
this only settle things if Japan doesn't re-write the history books again. Japan put the revisionist stuff in the history books again, this issue will rear right back up.
It's not like it matters, as soon as China or Korea has domestic issues they would just start the anti-Japan crusades again. It is all about diverting attention to a foreign enemy.

Tags
japan, politics