AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2014-06-28, 19:53   Link #281
Frontier

Just so I'm clear, the plot point that's being taken issue with is the MC joining up with a sort of anti-government organization because he falls for a woman in their ranks, right?
Old 2014-06-28, 20:34   Link #282
balofo
Banned

Ok let's analyze the PV and the lineart/sketches shown

A)G-Self has at least 5 forms, by adding packs and changing colors:

1)Base Form, the most used one with 2 backpacks:

I)Atmospheric Pack: brought equipped on G-Self by Raraiya and then hidden by Noredo. Sketch shows it also has a Shield with Beam Shield capability, the lineart one from the PV is different but still red and looks cooler. Beam Rifle can fold and also carries Beam Saber. Promotional art and sketch shows 2 lower blue protrusions equipped on it, but the HG model and the lineart lack this feature so far.
II)Space Backpack: Produced in Amelia but surprisingly is compatible with G-Self. Shown in PV being used by Aida and has 2 large blue boosters. Uses the ugly small blue shield in the PV but sketch also shows it with the red Beam Shield. Sketch also shows it equipped with a large unknown weapon. Beam Rifle can fold and also carries Beam Saber.

2)Assault Pack, color changes to red. Is equipped with Beam Rifles, Missiles and Beam Sabers. The back protrusion can emit a 500m long Beam Saber that can cut battleships in three. Furthermore, it was not made for the G-self, but a defected product from another unknown unit that does not exist anymore in this period in time. Because the weaponry is of unknown origin and is thus unstable, it is not used much in fear that (the power) may stop.

3)Reflector Pack, color changes to grey. I read the following in katakana: Laser, Beam Rifle Mega Particles, Photon Battery. Perhaps it's a defense form that reflects attacks and charges the batteries?

4)Not pictured

5)Tricky Pack, color changes to gold. Has a large circular attachment plus 2 large front protrusions. Only a small part of the text is legible...

B)Unknown Purple MS: shown in PV, I can read it has Block Bits.
balofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 21:51   Link #283
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Just so I'm clear, the plot point that's being taken issue with is the MC joining up with a sort of anti-government organization because he falls for a woman in their ranks, right?
If this is the case I fully hope they better handle the romance part better than most of the other gundam series

So the G-Self is like a Strike unit (swapping packs for different situations)?
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 21:53   Link #284
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It changes colors, so it's more like an Impulse unit. And if there's more than one like we've speculated, more like a Victory unit as well.
Old 2014-06-28, 22:51   Link #285
brightman
Ancient Member

Spoiler:

Those are a lot MORE than just mere Striker packs.
Old 2014-06-28, 23:07   Link #286
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It changes colors, so it's more like an Impulse unit. And if there's more than one like we've speculated, more like a Victory unit as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Spoiler:

Those are a lot MORE than just mere Striker packs.
Oh dang, nvm, these just made the unit much more awesome imo

Always loved the Impulse and Victory units and their different add-ons

Versatility is king
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 23:18   Link #287
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Oh dang, nvm, these just made the unit much more awesome imo

Always loved the Impulse and Victory units and their different add-ons

Versatility is king
Not just versatility but quite a bit of power is well.

The Assault pack has a 500 meter long beam saber as Balofo said. That's 00 Raiser levels right there and no Newtype/Innovator hax to achieve it...
Old 2014-06-28, 23:36   Link #288
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

That we know of. If this is truly between UC and CC, and given the recent revelation that SEED, 00, and AGE were part of the Dark History, and that there's already at least one Turn A reference in the show, I'm sure there's some sort of hax to justify it.
Old 2014-06-29, 00:40   Link #289
monster

Quote:
The Assault pack has a 500 meter long beam saber as Balofo said. That's 00 Raiser levels right there and no Newtype/Innovator hax to achieve it...
A 500-meter long beam saber should be achievable as long as there's a sufficient power source. The pilot's abilities don't necessarily have to factor into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
the recent revelation that SEED, 00, and AGE were part of the Dark History
What recent revelation is this?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 00:55   Link #290
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
What recent revelation is this?
MG Turn-X manual
Old 2014-06-29, 00:58   Link #291
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The Turn X's MG manual directly stated that SEED, 00, and AGE were a part of the Dark History along with the other continuities, and mentioned that Build Fighters seems to be an exception.

Translation: http://pastebin.com/DPLgZy5Z
Old 2014-06-29, 01:43   Link #292
monster

Ah, thanks. Build Fighters being the exception makes sense.

Anyway, I don't really see the point in one unified timeline, but alright.

It's not a surprise if Tomino were to continue to affirm this concept with Reconguista, but other directors/writers probably wouldn't need to worry about it for future shows.
Old 2014-06-29, 03:37   Link #293
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

As official as it is, it's still puzzles me that nearly all Gundam continuities being parts of Dark History. So what the hell happened then? Did their universes merged (like Kamen Rider Decade) and plunged into chaos and apocalypse which created the CC universe? Or did ELSetsuna has the ability to travel between dimensions and visited other universes and took each of their tech with him then ended up in UC/RC universe and shared all those combined technology there before CC era?

Man, all this Dark History business makes Gundam's (shared?) continuity even more confusing than Macross'.
Old 2014-06-29, 04:23   Link #294
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

IIRC is something like this.

-war
-someone create/found turn-A
-MOONLIGHT BUTTERFLY!!
-civilization rebuilt
-rise and repeat

RC probably second cycle after UC got butterfly-ed. Thought I kinda hope we get to see making of turn-A

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 05:07   Link #295
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
As official as it is, it's still puzzles me that nearly all Gundam continuities being parts of Dark History. So what the hell happened then? Did their universes merged (like Kamen Rider Decade) and plunged into chaos and apocalypse which created the CC universe? Or did ELSetsuna has the ability to travel between dimensions and visited other universes and took each of their tech with him then ended up in UC/RC universe and shared all those combined technology there before CC era?

Man, all this Dark History business makes Gundam's (shared?) continuity even more confusing than Macross'.
Going by the given translation, apparently it's all one single timeline/continuity, not a merging of parallel universes.

So, as RRW states, there are multiple resets in world civilizations/history caused by Turn A/X's nanotechnology, with UC being the original and CC being the last, and all other calendars presumably falling somewhere in between, including 00's AD. (So I guess 00's calendar is a different AD/Common Era to pre-UC AD.)

That said, I don't know if some of the background info on these different calendars could be reconciled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
RC probably second cycle after UC got butterfly-ed.
From UC to Reconguista might be different than the other resets, assuming people still remember UC, which might mean that it's not caused by Turn A/X's nanotechnology. I guess we'll see when the show airs.
Old 2014-06-29, 05:35   Link #296
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
IIRC is something like this.

-war
-someone create/found turn-A
-MOONLIGHT BUTTERFLY!!
-civilization rebuilt
-rise and repeat

RC probably second cycle after UC got butterfly-ed. Thought I kinda hope we get to see making of turn-A
Not necessarily butterflied. Turn A shows the end result of UC, which is that all the colonies exit the solar system. So that would explain the possible lack of colonies in RC, and reset in tech somewhat if the colonies take away resources and tech knowhow with them.
Old 2014-06-29, 08:09   Link #297
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Meh, I'm just gonna take it as a one-sided claim by Tomino and people from Sunrise/Bandai who supported him. This is clearly not a pre-planned shared-continuity on Sunrise/Bandai part, unlike Macross which has Shoji Kawamori actively involved in almost every series and explained about what kind of continuity each series has with the previous ones before/during/after the series aired. I bet the creators of Wing, SEED, 00, etc were never informed nor intended for their series to be parts of the same timeline. This sounds more like an asspull explanation/revelation the author of Bleach would do.

I mean, let's just highlight one problem of this shared-continuity claim. If UC was supposed to be the first and CC is the last civilization and other continuities are somethings in between, shouldn't people in Wing, SEED, 00, and X continuity also found MSs, MAs & Ships underground like what happened in CC? If people in CC with outdated technology accidentally found Dark History weapons buried underground by casual digging, mining and excavation (they even found a freaking bunch of Zakus!), what stopped people from AC, CE, AD, AF-era with better technology from experiencing the same (finding MSs underground and whatnot)? And that's just one out of many continuity errors I decided to raise.

So yeah, even if it's official and came from the studio itself, I'm not buying this lazy shared-continuity theory (unless for the series happened in UC or written by Tomino himself and probably G Gundam ).
Old 2014-06-29, 09:04   Link #298
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Meh, I'm just gonna take it as a one-sided claim by Tomino and people from Sunrise/Bandai who supported him. This is clearly not a pre-planned shared-continuity on Sunrise/Bandai part, unlike Macross which has Shoji Kawamori actively involved in almost every series and explained about what kind of continuity each series has with the previous ones before/during/after the series aired. I bet the creators of Wing, SEED, 00, etc were never informed nor intended for their series to be parts of the same timeline. This sounds more like an asspull explanation/revelation the author of Bleach would do.
Incorrect. Seed was specifically made to be part of the Turn A continuum. Various interviews and references in the show (including the presence of Newtypes) have confirmed that.

You can make the claim for the shows prior to Turn A though, and you would be right. But the way Turn A was developed was intended to work around that.

I think the only show after Turn A where it's blatantly disregarded are the Kuroda made ones.
Old 2014-06-29, 10:06   Link #299
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Incorrect. Seed was specifically made to be part of the Turn A continuum. Various interviews and references in the show (including the presence of Newtypes) have confirmed that.
Mind if I ask what the creator of SEED exacty said about making their series part of CC-timeline in those interviews? I'm interested. Also, what kind of strong references SEED has that tied itself to Turn-A? Surely the existence of Newtypes alone is not much of a proof since almost every series has their own "Newtypes" (whether they're named so or not).

Quote:
You can make the claim for the shows prior to Turn A though, and you would be right. But the way Turn A was developed was intended to work around that.
How does Turn-A supposed to "work around that"? Please elaborate.
Old 2014-06-29, 11:03   Link #300
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Mind if I ask what the creator of SEED exacty said about making their series part of CC-timeline in those interviews? I'm interested. Also, what kind of strong references SEED has that tied itself to Turn-A? Surely the existence of Newtypes alone is not much of a proof since almost every series has their own "Newtypes" (whether they're named so or not).
Exactly what I said, that Seed was intended to tie into the Turn A Black History. If you want more details then you're asking me to look for interviews from 10+ years ago and that's a little too much to ask. If you were around here like I was back then there were discussions about it.

As far as strong references, other than Newtypes, which were pretty much hamfisted in with Mu and Rau to fit the lore, there aren't much. But subtle references, such as certain design elements (ie moon bases looking identical to those in Turn A comes to mind)

Quote:
How does Turn-A supposed to "work around that"? Please elaborate.
The whole concept of Black History and Moonlight Butterfly is intended to work those timelines into one.