Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2007-01-16, 16:36   Link #281
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
For the hot dog, no one helped out because if they did he would lose his job which is why Lelouch stopped Karen. But that is not the case here. I never stated that the system was awesome or perfect. Just that the system is set up to assimilate them into the empire and that's how they do it. I could be wrong but a descendent of an honorary britannian should be granted full citizenship as a true britannian(Being born in that country itself) and you go from there. Hence it's the "transition" phase to removing all aspects of the conquered foe.
I disagree. It's far more likely no one helped because the britainnians couldnt be bothered. Lelouch was the ONLY one who said that if they helped, the 11 couldn't work there anymore. Even Karen *who seems smarter than normal* wanted to help and didn't realise Lelouchs point.

Besides we haven't seen any descendents of honourary britainnians. But we DO know how honourary britainnians are treated. What makes you think that it's any different for their descendents?

You view the honourary britainnian system as similar to the roman empires. But I disagree. Did the roman empire refer to the new roman citizens as monkeys or commonly taunt them and torment them? Did the roman empire espouse a view of inequality?

In reality, I think the britainnian system far more akin to the rigid caste system of india, where once you're born in a caste, ie. britainnian or number, you're either screwed for life or very well off, honourary system or not.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 19:59   Link #282
Missilebuster
gg, uninstall

im pretty sure suzaku is the creator's way of making fun of regular shounen

"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
~Spike Spiegel
Missilebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 23:25   Link #283
Varis
Composed Eccentric

Send a message via AIM to Varis Send a message via Yahoo to Varis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missilebuster View Post
lol good one. Sadly a lot of shounen heroes are no better then Suzaku. Always fighting, thinking and acting based on their emotions, only using their brains as a last ditch, desparate effort to avert death.

Lelouch is kinda refreshing. He was wronged in the past and the only way to get justice done in his case was by his own hand. So he planned for it, made use of his additional tools (geass) and is sticking to the plan.

He faces his guilt, sadness and shame and deals with it. That scene with C.C and in the shower was great in ep. 13.
Varis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-17, 12:02   Link #284
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Quote:
Yeah. In many ways the show is quite anti-gundam. Our good boy Suzaku got lucky and become the chosen pilot of a powerful prototype mecha (white, with two eyes!), like most other gundam leads. But he is doing the dirty job of a collaborator of an oppressive empire. He also has no super power other than devil's luck.

Or bad boy Lulu wear a mask to hide his true identity, while using all kind the dirty trick for revenge, very much like Char. And like Char and Zechs, he has a younger sister and is a son of a political leader. But unlike other masked guys, his team actually behave like real people and don't trust the guy always hiding behind a mask.

It looks like the writer start by inverting part of the proven formula and go from there.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-17, 16:54   Link #285
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Actually, he does have a superpower, which is to be able to pilot the super-suit itself. From what Lloyd said, he is uniquely suited to the suite, which apparently doesn't work well with just anyone. (Otherwise they'd have found a Britanian pilot. )
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-17, 18:17   Link #286
Jewelray

Send a message via AIM to Jewelray
Quote:
Hmm, I think he's pretty serious. While the show does draw on a lot shounen stereotypes, I wouldn't say it's the Yakitate of mecha or anything.
Jewelray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-17, 18:19   Link #287
anselfir
Style Über Alles

Which is to say, we ran out of ideas to put this suzaku kid in a supersuit and a position of relevance in comparison to lulu while also preserving suzaku's background.
Old 2007-01-18, 01:02   Link #288
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Actually, he does have a superpower, which is to be able to pilot the super-suit itself. From what Lloyd said, he is uniquely suited to the suite, which apparently doesn't work well with just anyone. (Otherwise they'd have found a Britanian pilot. )
That depends... I have a theory on this.
I believe Lloyd chose to have an 11 as the pilot of Lancelot because it suits his personality. As a man who treats people like objects, Lloyd would prefer his test-pilot to be as low down on the totem pole as possible.

But that's just a theory of course.
Old 2007-01-18, 04:21   Link #289
Viperus

I think Loyd thought that Lancelot might explode so needed a cheap work force to check out Lancelot's abilities. (It would be a problem if some general would've gotten blown up due to Lancelot's malfunction.) Luckly for Suzaku , he was a very talented pilot with the unique ability to pilot Lancelot.
Viperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 05:19   Link #290
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

He wouldn't brag about it all the time if it wasn't the perfect frame for him. So that ^^^ is out of the question.

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 02:56   Link #291
bond4154

I honestly don't think Lloyd cares who's piloting Lancelot. It was just that Suzaku was, at the time, the best possible match when they were destroying Shinjuku. It could be an Eleven, it could be a Britannian. Of course, the producers made sure it was an Eleven so Lloyd's rather out-of-place remarks wouldn't receive a punch in return. XD
bond4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 03:50   Link #292
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Lloyd seems rather attached to Suzaku, in his way. Not as a person, but as a high quality, hard to find, part for the Lancelot.
Old 2007-01-19, 08:29   Link #293
bond4154

Looking above, I agree the show is rather anti-Gundam. There's always prejudice no matter how good you are in a mobile suit, irregulars are frowned upon, justice is believed to be overrated, and the only way to actually get a promotion is to commit atrocities in the name of our lord. Anti-Gundam indeed. XD
bond4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 11:23   Link #294
anselfir
Style Über Alles

How is this anti-gundam if they introduced a spineless and weak character solely to sell models? I'm looking at you Lancelotto!
Old 2007-01-19, 11:39   Link #295
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir View Post
How is this anti-gundam if they introduced a spineless and weak character solely to sell models? I'm looking at you Lancelotto!
Well, there is a slight problem with that argument...

There has been, so far, no Knighmare model kits from Bandai ANYWHERE.

Plenty of Pizzas, sure. But no model kits as of yet. I am amazed at how people can form conclusions with no evidence. Seriously, 14 episodes on and still no plastic models should tell you plenty about your argument. If they wanted to, they could have covered the toy shelves across Japan with 1/144 scale Lancaster's by episode 3.

Thus, Code Geass IS an anti-Gundam from the perspective of model-pimping... or the lack of it, in this case.
Old 2007-01-20, 19:27   Link #296
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I've been thinking for a while...Is there even a moral way to change the Britiannia system from within from Suzaku's position?

Technically, even if he reaches the highest possible military position available for a commoner (( Let's assume he's not being discriminated for 20 reasons )), he will still be below the imperial command and the most he can really change is reduce some casualties inside and outside, and that's assuming people like Cornelia trust him enough to let all military handiwork in his hands...if even remotely possible. If he really wants to change a long-standing monarchy "Might is Right" system...he really only has 2 choices from his standpoint.

1. Destroy the system and replace it.

This method is in no way moral. The only way Suzaku can do it from the inside is if he's a traitor for a larger rebel organization out there, and slowly builds up his ranks to a point where he can blow up the half the imperial court in one blow. Or he can rise to the throne himself...by reaching a point where he is able to gain control and a majority favour over the Britiannian Army that will do everything at his command...and rebel. Impossible for someone uncharismatic like Suzaku, and also immoral.

2. Find someone eligible for the throne who shares his same views and do everything in his power to make sure that person becomes the next in line.

Euphiemia...She's clearly one of the weaker links in succession to the throne. As she is now, she had not proven herself to be better than anyone of her siblings, even Clovis. So, the only way she can be the next in line is if Suzaku goes out to the extent of eliminating, directly or indirectly Euphie's rivals for the throne. How is that moral?

Argubly the only moral way is for him to directly influence the no.1 candidate for the throne and protecting him from any danger that will come to his life. IS THAT EVEN REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

Suzaku needs to get his head checked.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-20, 20:39   Link #297
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Even if Suzaku would become king (by some mirracle that is not going to happen even if universe would crash and burn), he would just be killed by some Britanian noble who supports the "old system", thus ending his crusade of changing Britania from within....
Old 2007-01-20, 20:56   Link #298
Varis
Composed Eccentric

Send a message via AIM to Varis Send a message via Yahoo to Varis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Even if Suzaku would become king (by some mirracle that is not going to happen even if universe would crash and burn), he would just be killed by some Britanian noble who supports the "old system", thus ending his crusade of changing Britania from within....
Even if he DOES change the system and makes all those wonderful changes.... such change rarely outlives the king that enforces it.
Varis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 06:23   Link #299
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varis View Post
Even if he DOES change the system and makes all those wonderful changes.... such change rarely outlives the king that enforces it.
The same goes fror Lulu. Nothing he can do can really prevent things from getting worse when he passes away or even durign his lifetime. Look at our history, after the big revolutions in the old world soon after there were aways new crises, bigger wars and things got worse. Progress of any kind was payed dearly with blood. SO even Lulu's new better world (if he succeds) might or shiould i say will crumble very fast.

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Majek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 06:46   Link #300
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Meh. The world isn't like it was two centuries ago. Change is possible, even though it takes time and blood.

What is true is that the sword isn't enough: you need the pen, too. But Lulu knows that.