AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-05-11, 06:10   Link #261
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
^ agree for me it will be fun to see mibu and kirihara moment in future episode especially if the animated vol 7 the lovers quarrel
Old 2014-05-11, 08:54   Link #262
bacon123

Back to earlier topic
tats went to First high because Miyuki enrolled there and so tats had to go aswell
bacon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-11, 19:43   Link #263
guestuser

i just readed the late great favorite of mahouka and i just found out Kawahara Reki the creator of sword art online and accel world like mahouka hahahaha i just find this funny and so for some reason i can now see the hate behind this for some unknown reason and i can see why it has a large fanbase
guestuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-11, 23:38   Link #264
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestuser View Post
i just readed the late great favorite of mahouka and i just found out Kawahara Reki the creator of sword art online and accel world like mahouka hahahaha i just find this funny and so for some reason i can now see the hate behind this for some unknown reason and i can see why it has a large fanbase
he may be a writer and all, but his still a human like the rest of us why wouldn't he like mahouka?
Besides mahouka is pretty damn good story so far.
SoboSobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-12, 11:36   Link #265
bacon123

Mahouka is a great story
bacon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 06:23   Link #266
IceHism

Someone told me that Tsutomu Satou was a conservative / right wing based on what he had been posting on Twitter. Can someone confirm? I got a different impression from reading Mahouka and wanted to know the author's original intent to correct my misinterpretation if I had any.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 06:32   Link #267
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Someone told me that Tsutomu Satou was a conservative / right wing based on what he had been posting on Twitter. Can someone confirm? I got a different impression from reading Mahouka and wanted to know the author's original intent to correct my misinterpretation if I had any.
That's not the impression I got of him while reading his afterwords either...

But yeah, what is this tweet?
Lucarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 08:58   Link #268
Verisimilitude

Quote:
Eh, I follow his Twitter and don't see any posts that are particularly right-wing. Even if he is right-wing politically, so what? It's not like being labelled as a conservative is somehow a negative thing.
Verisimilitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 14:26   Link #269
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucarion View Post
That's not the impression I got of him while reading his afterwords either...

But yeah, what is this tweet?
I'm not sure, I had someone else inform me about this and Im not good enough in japanese to read his twitter nor know what tweet he was talking about
I agree with the afterwords though, it doesn't seem like he had any super right wing views from it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
Eh, I follow his Twitter and don't see any posts that are particularly right-wing. Even if he is right-wing politically, so what? It's not like being labelled as a conservative is somehow a negative thing.
I didn't say it was negative, but it may provide insight into how he wants people to look at his scenes. Cause well... Mahouka is about politics.
Old 2014-05-15, 15:40   Link #270
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Really? Because that's exactly the impression I got from reading Mahouka. Though I haven't really got an impression one way or the other from the afterwords.

I mean, I got things like support for an authoritarian government, support for the military at the expanse of diplomacy, and complete contempt of egalitarianism.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 16:36   Link #271
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Really? Because that's exactly the impression I got from reading Mahouka. Though I haven't really got an impression one way or the other from the afterwords.

I mean, I got things like support for an authoritarian government, support for the military at the expanse of diplomacy, and complete contempt of egalitarianism.
Support for an authoritarian/Totalitarian government where? As of the three nations that we are exposed to(not to mention, the GAA is the only totalitarian government in mahouka but everything bad that has happened so far has happened to them ), i'm not seeing words of praise being sent to any of these three nations and am getting the impression that all three are equally contemptible. Where is the favoritism?

Strong-arm diplomacy isn't just a right wing thing. It's pretty common no matter which party you support. And Mio was sent to the GAA to negotiate after Yokohama. No diplomacy? We even got events like Lina becoming doubtful of her own government after hearing that she should at least get a choice. There are plenty of events that goes against this "support for military over diplomacy". Even Tatsuya doesn't outright support the military and is only using the 101 to further his goals as a necessary evil but would immediately drop them the moment they are not useful to him.

I'm convinced the last one is a troll but lets go about it this way.
1) Main character's grouppie which consists of all the strongest characters in first high consists of both course 1 and course 2, 10mc + hundred families + families outside of both. Tatsuya and Miyuki's group goes beyond discrimination. Mayumi is even a proponent of egalitarianism with her proposal to remove the course 2 barrier from student council
2) tatsuya's goal to make magicians benefit society in non-military ways to allow them to be seen as more than just weapons is egalitarianism.
3) Powerful Women share prominent roles that powerful males have so people can't even say the author hates women.
Old 2014-05-16, 01:21   Link #272
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Support for an authoritarian/Totalitarian government where? As of the three nations that we are exposed to(not to mention, the GAA is the only totalitarian government in mahouka but everything bad that has happened so far has happened to them ), i'm not seeing words of praise being sent to any of these three nations and am getting the impression that all three are equally contemptible. Where is the favoritism?
They're all three of them very authoritarian with regards to their magicians. And it's treated like a good thing. Like the only choice. When one magician (for the Thesis thing) tried to break free of some of it, of course it's because he was brainwashed by an enemy power. (Which makes me think - there was also support for short-term engineering research at the expense of fundamental research.)

And the explanation of Japan's strength is how quickly its magicians submitted to central authority when it came to marriage and children.

Of course, it's not outright dictature, I didn't say that. But there is the belief, not written in so many words but as an underlying assumption, that such... to use a flattering word, discipline... is not only better but the only choice.

Quote:
Strong-arm diplomacy isn't just a right wing thing. It's pretty common no matter which party you support. And Mio was sent to the GAA to negotiate after Yokohama. No diplomacy? We even got events like Lina becoming doubtful of her own government after hearing that she should at least get a choice. There are plenty of events that goes against this "support for military over diplomacy". Even Tatsuya doesn't outright support the military and is only using the 101 to further his goals as a necessary evil but would immediately drop them the moment they are not useful to him.
It was written quite explicitly (though I don't remember when) that diplomacy had pissed away the military victory of three years ago. Because they're naive or possibly corrupt.

Granted, it's just one instance. But still, it adds to the tally that makes me think "right-wing, supporter of the military". (Especially added to the generally positive portrayal of the military.)

Quote:
I'm convinced the last one is a troll but lets go about it this way.
1) Main character's grouppie which consists of all the strongest characters in first high consists of both course 1 and course 2, 10mc + hundred families + families outside of both. Tatsuya and Miyuki's group goes beyond discrimination.
That's really not the problem, though it probably says something that you think it does. Aristocrats and commoners (though pretty special commoners), mingling together? You think that's special?

Quote:
Mayumi is even a proponent of egalitarianism with her proposal to remove the course 2 barrier from student council
Let me stop you right there. There are two issues:
- the course 2 protestors are morons. That's how they were written.
- they need an aristocrat to look after them. Also how it was written.

So, yes, Mayumi is kind. The writing still supports the idea that the aristocracy (hereditary and born out of personal power) should rule, and that people opposing that statu quo are stupid, and manipulated by foreign enemies.

Quote:
2) tatsuya's goal to make magicians benefit society in non-military ways to allow them to be seen as more than just weapons is egalitarianism.
No, it's not. It's not practically unrelated.

There are two instances that smacked on contempt to me:
- the aforementioned Blanch incident.
- in vol 12, when Isori talked of people not liking that so many magicians went into the military. His portrayal of them immediately went into cartoonish supervillainy. They would mind-control all magicians! What. The. Fuck? What happened to alternate opportunities and simple incentives?

Quote:
3) Powerful Women share prominent roles that powerful males have so people can't even say the author hates women.
That, at least, is true.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-16, 05:43   Link #273
renuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They're all three of them very authoritarian with regards to their magicians. And it's treated like a good thing. Like the only choice. When one magician (for the Thesis thing) tried to break free of some of it, of course it's because he was brainwashed by an enemy power. (Which makes me think - there was also support for short-term engineering research at the expense of fundamental research.)
Yes, they are and no, it’s not. The characters we know and are supposed to sympathise with treat it like the reality it is, not like something inherently good. Non-magicians that view magicians as tools or cyborg-like creations that exist to protect humans (implying that magicians are not even human) are consistently portrayed negatively. The narration talks about magician-breeding programmes that it then likens to government-sanctioned rape. This is not a positive comparison. We hear about the results of genetic manipulation programmes whose products die young, go insane or are conditioned into emotional dependency. None of this is treated positively.

On the flip side, you’re quite right and Japan does owe its position and its continued independence to having been able to efficiently breed super-magicians. So yes, the consequences of those programmes (becoming sufficiently strong to remain independent) are treated as something positive. The means on the other hand are treated as something that was seen as a necessary evil. The very fact that so many characters want to change that perception, that they are trying to get magicians to be viewed as more than just tools contradicts the idea that magicians are all a-okay with being channelled into joining the military.

More than defending any particular political agenda, the author strikes me as depicting the situation quite factually.
renuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 17:54   Link #274
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Oh yeah, just throwing something out here again. But has anyone else noticed that Tatsuya shares a few similarities with Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFqPpaUj8-o
Lucarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 05:28   Link #275
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
What about USNA and GAA? And why aren't the other Strategic Magicians doing anything to neutralize this possible threat to the peace situation? Somebody from GAA would have dealt with Tatsuya after nuking part of China, but GAA did nothing. I refuse to believe that the power among magicians is heavily tipped in favor of Japan. That would be totally unfair.
USNA is the strongest magic country because of their weaponry The researches labs and the number system made of Japan the country with the most gifted magicians. Even the strongest USNA magician has 10MC blood. GAA isn't a powerful magic country.The 10MC have huge influence and relations but the Yotsuba and the Saegusa even more. Maya informed Tatsuya that someone would spy them even though she is always in Japan. There are more than 50 SC magicians but only 13 are publicly acknowledged. Of course the country won't display their cards like that. And even if they are acknowledged it doesn't mean their identities are all known.

GAA could do nothing after Tatsuya's MB because they were the ones to blame, even at Okinawa. Besides, his clan would cover him, they have no proof, they don't even know his face. It's not as if they are in a complete war. USNA tried to know who was the user of MB for their researches, they sent spy and were willing to kill the user if necessary. The Yotsuba clan cornered and blackmailed. All of this is mostly behind the scenes.

The world is not fair even IRL .
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 06:34   Link #276
renuac

I apologise for the overly-long winded answer to this. I just really love Mahouka’s politics

Quote:
What about USNA and GAA? And why aren't the other Strategic Magicians doing anything to neutralize this possible threat to the peace situation? Somebody from GAA would have dealt with Tatsuya after nuking part of China, but GAA did nothing. I refuse to believe that the power among magicians is heavily tipped in favor of Japan. That would be totally unfair.
Because power balances are always so very fair

Under spoiler because of length:

Spoiler:
Old 2014-05-23, 07:15   Link #277
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The author really hates China for that to happen to GAA. I also find it weird that GAA would become the hotbed of WW3. Was it GAA's fault as the aggressor, the same way they did several years later in Yokohama and Okinawa?

Quote:
And really, what else could they do? Nuke a country that has someone capable of annihilating entire armies when they know nothing of that person’s identity, whereabouts or abilities?
America already did that with Japan. It's not that hard. Just kidding. Anyway, if everyone is just waiting for someone else to make a move, then it's gonna be Tatsuya that's gonna make waves with his actions. But honestly, waiting for one person to do shit isn't really interesting to watch. It's like watching paint dry. I hope some spy, preferably from GAA, would lock on Tatsuya so that the real action can begin.

Quote:
2) The GAA still relies on Ancient Magic, which is less efficient for warfare than the Modern Magic used by Japan or the USNA.
Why isn't Ancient Magic just as efficient as Modern Magic? Don't tell me that someone who can materialize energy as an attack through thousand-year-old martial arts techniques is inferior to someone who relies on a fancy gun to use magic. No, I don't think it works or should work that way.

Quote:
So how do you suggest that the GAA ‘deal’ with Japan and Tatsuya? There are no legal or formal channels that they can use against Japan; given that they were technically hostile for three years before the Yokohama incident, I doubt there’s much in the way of economic relations between the two, so that’s out as a means of reprisal; and attempting something by force really hasn’t worked out for them these last two attempts.
GAA is driven in a corner in all of this. It's like you're asking me to tell a wounded chicken to cross the road in hopes that it could get across. I'd rather keep GAA on their toes, but I'd also prevent the other countries to find out that they are actually underpowered at the moment. It's also recommended for GAA to join the search for Mahesvara and any possible intel that they can use as bargaining chips for Japan or any country for that matter.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 08:37   Link #278
renuac

Quote:
The author really hates China for that to happen to GAA. I also find it weird that GAA would become the hotbed of WW3. Was it GAA's fault as the aggressor, the same way they did several years later in Yokohama and Okinawa?
I'm not getting into a debate about the author's opinion of other countries. Sorry, but I'm not. I will say however that it is perfectly believable for a large country with a large population and a lack of resources (in this case magical) to look to expand their territory at the expense of their neighbours, especially in a world of uneasy truce like Mahouka's appears to be. Rather than thinking of it in terms of "hating" a country or not, I see that as something that fits within the context of the story.

Quote:
America already did that with Japan. It's not that hard. Just kidding. Anyway, if everyone is just waiting for someone else to make a move, then it's gonna be Tatsuya that's gonna make waves with his actions. But honestly, waiting for one person to do shit isn't really interesting to watch. It's like watching paint dry. I hope some spy, preferably from GAA, would lock on Tatsuya so that the real action can begin.
Again, different strokes: I find it hugely interesting to watch. And you are missing the point that they aren't just sitting around doing nothing: we have seen spies being sent out - Lina was basically on a search and destroy mission. Zhou is looking for information. Other countries are probably also taking action, although that's pure speculation at the moment.

So you want a someone, anyone, to take the main character out of the picture so the series can have complete shift in tone and change into something it has never tried to be? If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that

Quote:
Why isn't Ancient Magic just as efficient as Modern Magic? Don't tell me that someone who can materialize energy as an attack through thousand-year-old martial arts techniques is inferior to someone who relies on a fancy gun to use magic. No, I don't think it works or should work that way.
Really? Try pitting a martial artist against a gunman and see who wins. Or watch Indianna Jones' take on it.

Although I admit I'm hoping that in future volumes we get to see Ancient Magic used more.

Quote:
GAA is driven in a corner in all of this. It's like you're asking me to tell a wounded chicken to cross the road in hopes that it could get across. I'd rather keep GAA on their toes, but I'd also prevent the other countries to find out that they are actually underpowered at the moment. It's also recommended for GAA to join the search for Mahesvara and any possible intel that they can use as bargaining chips for Japan or any country for that matter.
I'm not denying it. The GAA's position is really not great. The decision to attack Japan made it worse but their current situation is the result of a large number of factors spanning decades of time, starting with the Earth's sudden cooling. The geopolitics in Mahouka are the way they are through no fault of any one country. And I'm sure the GAA agree with you about needing more intel on Mahesvara. I'm sure every country in the world agrees with you on that. The problem for them will be to succeed in gettting that information. It might still happen: remember that Mahouka is only about halfway through and that it hasn't been so long since the Yokohama incident alerted the world to the fact that Japan was hiding something very powerful and very unusual.
Old 2014-05-23, 08:41   Link #279
zerozeronine

Quote:
Who doesn't hate China right now from the asian region?

for ancient magic vs modern magic,Tatsuya explained it to Mikihiko,ancient magic is slower to activate compared to modern magic.
zerozeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 08:48   Link #280
My Zodiac Aries

Quote:
It can't be help China is weaker than Japan. That's the fact.
My Zodiac Aries is offline   Reply With Quote