Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Mahouka

Notices

Old 2014-02-25, 01:12   Link #261
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I've always pegged Hayamin as the 'successor' to Mamiko Noto myself. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 05:11   Link #262
Burden

As it's looking it's the only series this season I'm looking forward to.
Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 04:16   Link #263
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
As it's looking it's the only series this season I'm looking forward to.
I predict that the adaptation would be a disaster. I also predict that this thread is going to be set on fire within a month or so, judging by the kind of treatment Spring Previews are giving Mahouka.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 08:05   Link #264
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I predict that the adaptation would be a disaster. I also predict that this thread is going to be set on fire within a month or so, judging by the kind of treatment Spring Previews are giving Mahouka.
Let me be blunt. This rather shows how clueless most of these "previews" are. Mahouka is going to get the full SAO treatment, regardless of the fact that the show is very different.

Example: I recently came across psgels' Star Crossed Anime Blog, where he dissed the show based on nothing more than a (wrong) summary from ANN. His summary made clear that he couldn't have had any clue about the show (he got the meaning of "Blooms" and "Weeds" wrong), yet he piled on the show anyway. Sad, because while has's been increasingly critical in the past, he's usually been worth reading.

Naturally the conversion can still turn out to be bad, but proactively dissing the show blindly is becoming a fad. There are several "anime blogs" out there who concentrate on grouchily spewing bile on everything. 95% of anime are terrible/cliche/sucky/idiotic, except for the 5% of the anime the authors like - they happen to be the pearls and best thing since sliced bread. Add a wannabe-elitist echo chamber of commenters who mirror each death sentence with glee, and you get a venomous, hate-filled atmosphere killing all the fun of watching anime.

I suggest to avoid cesspools like these, they only drag everyone down. At least I plan to.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 08:52   Link #265
NutShell

new CV anouncment

Mayumi Saegusa (CV: Hanazawa Kana)
Suzune Ichihara (CV: Nakahara Mai)
Azusa Nakajou (CV: Ogasawara Saki)

so as leaked before Kana Hana as Mayumi
NutShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 10:25   Link #266
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Snip.
I don't think Mahouka is going to be a disaster for the very superficial reasons that those "previews" gave (PVs fueling perceptions of "Harem" and "Incest", which is generally the two charges these places tend to levy against Mahouka). Rather, I have a fear that they would slaughter the world-building to an unrecognizable wreck , and wouldn't be able to resist the Infinite-Stratos syndrome of inserting original fanservice and harem nonsense at the expense of the rest of Mahouka.

And even if the studio and producers were to avoid such temptations, I still have a fear that the adaptation would adapt exposition badly, or make very strange omissions that leave massive gaps in world-building. At the worse, it would be rushed, and squeezed, with numerous important details simply ommited out in favor of less important details that the producers think would push more BDs.

Also, Mahouka is quite reliant on the internal narrative of their characters. Very few animes do this well - LN adaptations especially fail very hard at this, ironically, since alot of LNs tend to use internal narratives to build their characters up.

In other words, I fear an Infnite Stratos Season 2 on one hand, and on the other, I fear a repeat of Maou Yuusha. Perhaps I am being too pessimistic here, but Mahouka is going to have to beat the odds to be good, and the very structure and nature of Mahouka itself makes it very tall odds to overcome indeed.

I don't think Animesuki is that immune to that "Echo chamber" - it's less afflicted, no doubt than many other places, but SAO demonstrated that it still exist on this forum. Unfortunately, the "Echo Chamber" has enough mass and numbers that anything they happen to hate usually get's set ablaze in anime forums as if someone poured kerosene all over the threads.

Psgels just happened to be the first blogger to fire the first shot at Mahouka.

While I agree that Mahouka is nothing like SAO in premise, plot, characterization, etc - but both share a dependency on the use of exposition (Mahouka much more so) and use internal narratives to build their characters. Animes tend to do badly at intelligently adapting these two elements in- there's a reason why Monogatari is considered exceptional by LN standards, and it's because it's one of the few exceptions in the rule.

It will be surprising if Mahouka proves another such exception.

Last edited by novalysis; 2014-02-27 at 11:08.
Old 2014-02-27, 23:50   Link #267
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutShell View Post
new CV anouncment

Mayumi Saegusa (CV: Hanazawa Kana)
Suzune Ichihara (CV: Nakahara Mai)
Azusa Nakajou (CV: Ogasawara Saki)

so as leaked before Kana Hana as Mayumi
And as before I still can't imagine KanaHana doing Mayumi, that just doesn't fit for me at all.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 01:08   Link #268
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Meh, Yuriko in Kotoura-san is very much like Mayumi without Yuriko's dark past. Pretty much an onee-san type character that likes to tease a lot. Sure Mayumi is a lot more genki than Yuriko, but considering she has done a lot of those, I'm not worried about it myself.

As long as HanaKana doesn't touch another loli (then again it might just be me against loli in general lols), Yamato Nadeshiko (ironically it's her weakest role), or straight up Tsundere (her 'other voice' is too menacing; she does two-faced or yanderes very well as a result though) I'm good.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 01:41   Link #269
NutShell

^she was a bully there
but as Mayumi i think she lack of serious tone with high pitch,
i still laughing when she threatened sybil system in pp
Old 2014-02-28, 01:55   Link #270
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
In other words, I fear an Infnite Stratos Season 2 on one hand, and on the other, I fear a repeat of Maou Yuusha.
Not Madhouse's Mahou Sensou?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 05:39   Link #271
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Not Madhouse's Mahou Sensou?
No. That Maou Yuusha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maoyu

Interesting premise, with a source whose format was difficult to translate into anime, absolutely atrocious pacing, very scatterbrained world-building that meandered into a dozen incoherent and randomly selected directions, etc.......

Yes, it's not by the same studio, but I don't see how Madhouse can swim against the general trend of stories like Mahouka, which are exposition heavy and world-building driven having anime adaptations that flop horribly. And the general trend of exaggerating Haremish and Rom-Com elements and the High School aspect of LN works, at the expense of the source plot, and world-building isn't something Madhouse is exempt from.

Of course, I might be surprised, but there's alot of ways Mahouka can go wrong, especially given the trends of many animes to spit on the plot of LNs and focus on the cliches instead.
Old 2014-02-28, 09:32   Link #272
NutShell

^whaa hope didn't become like mahou sensou, I drop that on ep 1 and see alot negative comment on that, but a lot of comment blame the original LN

and for Maoyu i think that was a good adaption for 12 ep anime, except the character design (because i more prefer manga design, but the studio prefer original LN design)
Old 2014-03-01, 11:57   Link #273
dai ca superman

dai ca superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 17:12   Link #274
BW95
Banned

Beat's similar to crossing fields, but let's withhold judgement until we get the whole thing.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 17:21   Link #275
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Doesn't sound that good, but sure, let's wait for the whole thing.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 22:25   Link #276
BW95
Banned

Uh-oh. Why are Honoka's eyes violet?
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 22:37   Link #277
Requiem-x
The slacking one

...violet is a pretty color?
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 22:45   Link #278
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
Uh-oh. Why are Honoka's eyes violet?
That was her eye color in the colored illustrations
Old 2014-03-02, 01:14   Link #279
NutShell

sao op on mahouka ? is that what i think first

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2014-03-03 at 00:38. Reason: removed novel-related video
Old 2014-03-02, 05:45   Link #280
Daverick

You can also listen the 30-second of the OP song "Rising Hope" on LISA official website
http://www.lxixsxa.com/

Tags
action, futuristic setting, hard fantasy, mahouka, scientific magic, supernatural