AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-04-01, 05:48   Link #261
B214

Too bad he ended up as Messiah's food. But yeah he was a pretty good villain.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-01, 09:29   Link #262
MgMaster

A very solid Garo and production value wise it's the best so far but maybe it's because it got my expectations a bit higher than it should've that I'm a bit disappointed, especially with this ending and other things where we seem to get "teased" with the good stuff - stuff that could've been...

What I would've liked to see more from the anime:

- More about how Sword became the strongest Golden Knight we've seen so far. - devote at least 1/2 eps to show his training,when his sister was still alive,etc.

- A more deadly Knight! - the guy just got owned by Sword every single encounter and continues to bloat for no reason.

- More about the whole Makai system of the current era. - it was great that we saw a lot about the alchemists with that village but why not go even further and showcase the ins & outs of the whole system. Would go hand-in-hand with showcasing Sword's path to becoming the Golden Knight too. This was at the core of Hono no Hokuin, with Leon, but this takes place in a different time, so it doesn't have to be repetitive!

- At least some conclusion to the Gina x Sword thing, fuck all this teasing. - IT CAN BE JUST A FEW MINUTES! Sword can either reciprocate her feelings at least a bit or brush her off with his easy-going attitude as not wanting to be tied down and just mess around would fit him too. Heck, just a few lines could be enough as they'd both laugh it off after(granted, Gina would be sad). Anime is plagued with too many teasers, where you just have to "assume" something happens. That can be fun sure, but it happens so much that it makes one crave for some actual conclusions.

That's all I can think of as of now and obviously that'd take extra time and Sophie takes too much of it. This reminds of me 2nd season of Darker then Black, where Suou took up a lot of screentime when everyone and their mother just wanted more about Hei(which wasn't bad if you see the 4 OVAs 1st but still, less Suou would've been fine). This was Sophie's story, as that was Suou's for the most part but there's more interesting things to show. Such characters are fine, but I feel they'd be best as a side character - even if a very important one.

Again, it was good stuff, but could've been more.
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-01, 12:04   Link #263
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I think Seal of Flames had better production values actually. Then again, it's been a while since I watched it.

As for the rest, I mostly agree with what you said. A couple episodes devoted to Sword's past would have been great, and the series definitely could have used more world building. As for the Sword x Gina thing, when it comes to Garo, Kouga and Kaoru remain the only protagonists who got together for good, and that was after two seasons and a movie. Ryuuga x Rian, Raiga x Mayuri, Leon x Ema and Raikou x Seimei never became official couples despite all the teasing (and actual fucking in Leon and Ema's case). As for Rei, his love life is pretty much endless suffering, though I'm hoping something will eventually happen between him and Reika.

When it comes to Sophie, I thought she was a nice heroine. She handled all the stuff thrown at her pretty well compared to most kid protagonists, and her relationship with Sword and Gina was heartwarming. Rather than removing some of her screentime, I'd remove a few horror of the week episode that didn't add much.
Old 2018-04-01, 12:30   Link #264
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMaster View Post
Sword can either reciprocate her feelings at least a bit or brush her off with his easy-going attitude as not wanting to be tied down and just mess around would fit him too.
Wasn't episode 3 already shown that Sword is into Gina? But Gina keep refusing his advances? Now that Gina already gave him the green-light, I think their relationship is settled coz now they know that they love each other. Whether they'll get married or keep being lovers forever is up to them.
Old 2018-04-01, 15:50   Link #265
MgMaster

Not seeing even a small part of Sword's journey to becoming the Golden Knight's my biggest beef, as he stands out by being so freaking strong, both physically & mentally, even among Golden Knights. He seems to be all they'd want from a Golden Knight - dunno if it get's any better than him. It's like their glossing over the fact that they got such an excellent candidate to inherit the armor this time. How was his father like? Was he a stand-out from the beginning? etc. Just a wasted opportunity, esp with a name like "Vanishing Line" as well, lol.

Incidentally, the Makai alchemists received a fair amount of spotlight, both individually through Luke & Gina and how their system works, which was pretty nice.
Old 2018-04-01, 16:47   Link #266
Sides

Quote:
... "Vanishing Line" as well, lol.
I kind of wonder if Gina's car is based on the 70's dodge challenger from the movie vanishing point.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-01, 19:10   Link #267
hadeskagemusha

It was a fun ride. Definitely better than guren no tsuki and on par with seal of flame imo
hadeskagemusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-01, 19:49   Link #268
B214

Quote:
Not seeing even a small part of Sword's journey to becoming the Golden Knight's my biggest beef, as he stands out by being so freaking strong, both physically & mentally, even among Golden Knights. He seems to be all they'd want from a Golden Knight - dunno if it get's any better than him. It's like their glossing over the fact that they got such an excellent candidate to inherit the armor this time. How was his father like? Was he a stand-out from the beginning? etc. Just a wasted opportunity, esp with a name like "Vanishing Line" as well, lol.

Incidentally, the Makai alchemists received a fair amount of spotlight, both individually through Luke & Gina and how their system works, which was pretty nice.
They probably didn't want to pull another Kouga becomes Garo backstory.
Old 2018-04-01, 20:59   Link #269
xeviouses

It'll be hilarious though if it turned out that Sword had a relatively normal childhood and pretty uneventful training(barring that incident with his sister).

In all seriousness I wonder if the reason Sword is so OP is because he doesn't have issues. Granted there is the thing with his sister but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Kouga is socially stunted, Raiga feels he is inadequate as his father's successor, Ryuga lost his mother and the armor doesn't accept him, Leon...we're not even gonna go there.
Old 2018-04-02, 16:29   Link #270
MgMaster

^That might be the case. But even without any particular issues, it can't be that easy to become the strongest golden knight we've seen so far. Showing off some of that training he did could've been fun - perhaps even hilarious at times given his easy going personality. Could've given his sister some more spotlight while they were at it.

I sure as hell wouldn't mind one or two OVAs, or an anime movie featuring that.
Old 2018-04-03, 14:40   Link #271
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
It'll be hilarious though if it turned out that Sword had a relatively normal childhood and pretty uneventful training(barring that incident with his sister).

In all seriousness I wonder if the reason Sword is so OP is because he doesn't have issues. Granted there is the thing with his sister but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Kouga is socially stunted, Raiga feels he is inadequate as his father's successor, Ryuga lost his mother and the armor doesn't accept him, Leon...we're not even gonna go there.
You forgot about Raikou and his problems.
Old 2018-04-04, 02:23   Link #272
The 48th Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox360 View Post
You forgot about Raikou and his problems.
Shhh. Guren no Tsuki doesn't exist.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-04, 02:44   Link #273
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I won't forget Crimson Moon coz Seimei is in it (and I actually like the designs of the Makai Knights)
Old 2018-04-04, 12:28   Link #274
Tenzen12

Out if all knights (which now newly also include Rei, Kouga and Tsubasa) I know I like Sword with his lack of issues best. He us certainly most stable and probably strongest, but he with his kind of silliness it works pretty well. He is likeable, believableand most importantly refreshing protagonist.

I guess that's why we got Sophie who could grow and mature instead of already wholesome protagonist.
Old 2018-04-04, 23:49   Link #275
B214

I would say most stable and strongest to Raiga though, the guy can fight Rei as a mere age of 10/12. Yes he can fight an experience Makai Knight as a child (i would like to think Rei is holding back too but those moves >__>). If you hand him Sword's motorbike, God i wonder if that would be just overkill.
Old 2018-04-06, 08:17   Link #276
AkitoW013

I would have liked to see Garm in person not behind a curtain or in an endcard in this season, I hope we'll see more cameo in a film if we get one.
Spoiler for Garm:
AkitoW013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-06, 11:07   Link #277
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This wasn't in the subbed version. Why did they cut that out?

And yeah, I wish she had shown up in the series proper.

Tags
action, garo, superhero