Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2021-06-01, 22:49   Link #261
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
https://hongkongfp.com/2021/06/02/in...as-no-license/

The museum dedicated to the Tiananmen Massacre in HK is being closed due to not "having" the appropriate permits to operate.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-02, 10:13   Link #262
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
https://hongkongfp.com/2021/06/02/in...as-no-license/

The museum dedicated to the Tiananmen Massacre in HK is being closed due to not "having" the appropriate permits to operate.
How does this relate directly to the thread, which was about the 2019 unrest?
Old 2021-06-03, 13:46   Link #263
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
How does this relate directly to the thread, which was about the 2019 unrest?
By deciding not to tolerate the protest and establishing a new mode of governance, the China and Hong Kong government is now taking a more active stance in silencing things that would be negative against Chinese Communist Party rule in Hong Kong including

The Tiananmen Massacre which happened in 1989 have triggered a large scale protest against Chinese government in British Hong Kong at the time, and can be said as the beginning of large scale direct civil participation in politics in Hong Kong at the time. As such, by suppressing memory and records related to the event and relevant commemoration activities, it is also suppressing the civil movement in Hong Kong in the city itself.
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-03, 23:20   Link #264
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Chow Hang Tung was detained by the HKPF for trying to start a vigil to commemorate the Tiananmen Massacre.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2021-06-14, 00:12   Link #265
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Agnes Chow was released from prison due to good behaviour.

Meanwhile, the HKSAR government is now allowed to check films that will be shown in the SAR territory for any potential violations of the NSL.

Old 2021-06-17, 06:47   Link #266
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Apple Daily was raided today.

Old 2021-06-20, 23:33   Link #267
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Apple Daily is likely to face closures after the HKPF made freezes to its account, so it can't pay its staff or for its operations.

Old 2021-06-21, 03:04   Link #268
AnimeFangirl

Just in case anyone was under any illusions about whether Hong Kong was doomed or not, recent events should make it abundantly clear. China knows full well that the rest of the world isn't going to do anything.
Old 2021-06-23, 05:41   Link #269
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57578926

Apple Daily is now history.

Old 2021-06-24, 14:58   Link #270
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
Just in case anyone was under any illusions about whether Hong Kong was doomed or not, recent events should make it abundantly clear. China knows full well that the rest of the world isn't going to do anything.
What would you have them do?

The UK said it would send a ship to rescue people with certain kinds of passports. What happened to that?

No one is going to war over Hong Kong. It's even harder to imagine what the response would be to an attempt by Mainland China to take over Taiwan.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 22:55   Link #271
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

A mad rush has started to preserve AD's online history.

Old 2021-06-26, 10:13   Link #272
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It's even harder to imagine what the response would be to an attempt by Mainland China to take over Taiwan.
IMO the USA is hoping for china to take the plunge and (attempt to) invade Taiwain so that they (via proxy) can sink the Chinese marine forces in one swoop, the same way they wanted iraq to invade kuwait to have the perfect excuse to take over and remove the middleman (saddam hussein).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 05:55   Link #273
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Some of the pro-democrat tabloid papers are forced to town done their commentaries.

There's a HK-based political scientist who left doing Ming Pao commentaries because of what happened to AD.

Old 2021-06-30, 22:33   Link #274
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/06/30/in...troubled-city/

Photos of Hong Kong residents leaving days and weeks after the NSL was implemented.

Old 2021-07-01, 16:52   Link #275
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I've just heard news of the attempted murder of a police officer in a lone-wolf terror attack, before the assailant committed suicide with the same knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
IMO the USA is hoping for china to take the plunge and (attempt to) invade Taiwain so that they (via proxy) can sink the Chinese marine forces in one swoop, the same way they wanted iraq to invade kuwait to have the perfect excuse to take over and remove the middleman (saddam hussein).
China won't take the bait, and you give yourself too much credit if you think the childish games that the American political engine plays will be enough to sway the Chinese into acting first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Agnes Chow was released from prison due to good behaviour.
"Good behaviour" lol. At the very least, she was off the front pages and off trending for six months, and by now, I imagine even her Japanese suitors have likely forgotten about her and have since found a new idol to worship.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2023-04-28 at 13:33.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-01, 22:16   Link #276
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

It's breaking news there. Better wait and see what the force has to say if it's related to the crackdown.

Old 2021-07-01, 23:22   Link #277
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Absolutely no need to wait, it was ascertained the would-be assailant attacked out of the blue first, unprovoked.
Old 2021-07-01, 23:28   Link #278
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

While true that the attack happened like that, an investigation just started.

Old 2021-07-03, 08:11   Link #279
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/07/02/fa...-not-informed/

Good Hope Primary School was confirmed to have installed surveillance cameras. This made parents already paranoid, but some have suspected that they're meant to "keep an eye" on anyone talking to the kids.

Old 2021-07-06, 10:14   Link #280
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

The HKSAR government is planning to make some changes to privacy laws to addressing potential doxxing issues. They didn't say and everyone's questioning on the specifics, especially since the Office for Safeguarding National Security of the CPG in the HKSAR is already in HK.