Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-03-22, 12:09   Link #261
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Masterful. Thank you!!!

My spin is that our president is a stand-up comedian, especially when comedy is hard to come by these days. They are throwing stats like as many as million infected in NY by the middle of April. And 5-10 million jobs lost in that same duration. I need the laugh.
I've got a great article for you then.
Quote:
An ABC News/Ipsos poll released Friday reports that 55 percent of respondents approve of Trump’s management of the public health crisis, while 43 percent disapprove. The latest figures represent a boost in the president’s rating from the previous iteration of the survey, published one week ago, which showed only 43 percent approval for Trump and 54 percent disapproval.
And two more as a bonus.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-22, 12:59   Link #262
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Adjuvant therapy. We're using the antivirals as first line. There's some talk of having PUMs and self-quarantine patients to do Chloroquine at home.
I would like to ask, you mean hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine phosphate? what is the dosage you recommend? Yeah, I want to compare notes in case I or someone in my family becomes infected because I know that in my country soon enough there wont be enough beds or ventilators and the only real chance is giving the body enough time to develop immunity. I have a mother in her eighties and if Italy with their excellent health service is letting those 65 or older to die, here no doubt they will simply close the doors once they are at full capacity and tell everybody to go home and quarantine by themselves.

On a side note, here is a short video that shows the level of NO2 pollution in (China and) Northern Italy, truly the perfect storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN11zZxtNkI
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-22, 13:09   Link #263
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
Let's do a grim math together. Suppose the population of the US is 300 million. Now suppose 50% of the population gets corona with 1% of those dying. That number becomes a staggering 1.5 mil. .1% is 150k. .01% is 15k. And so on.

This is the end game here. Goal here is not to be one of the dead. Take this seriously. Politics won't matter soon if we can't get a handle of this.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

By the way, Rand Paul has tested positive for Covid 19.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-22, 13:26   Link #264
Johnny Dy

It's just survival of the most rich here, like always.
Who can afford to stay isolated when they have to go to work, if not the rich?
I can't. I would stay home and read shows and watch anime all day, but I can't.
Goddamit, it's the worst time to be employed. If you'd be unemployed, nobody would bust your balls to go find work in these past and coming months. It's a safe heaven for those people. I used to be one of them, 7 or more years ago. Good old times. :/
Old 2020-03-22, 13:32   Link #265
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Let's do a grim math together ... That number becomes a staggering 1.5 million ...
Sorry to say it, but you are forgetting collateral damage. Back when the ebola epidemic in africa, the biggest killer wasn't ebola. Suppose you are in the hospital due a non covid-19 health problem. Chances are there wont be enough medical staff to treat you (atm 10% of the health profesionals in spain are already infected of covid-19). The ones that are not infected are overworked beyond the limit (need I link the viral photo of the italian nurse sleep at the keyboard?) and that means simple errors (i.e. wrong medication or dosage) that can cost a patients life. Let's not forget the story of the hand sanitizer hoarder that amazon prohibited from re-selling his stash, down the line some hospital might no have hand sanitizer which might mean bacterial infections (in a world when antibiotics are one step from becoming placebos) after surgery.

So multiply your estimate by two and brace for impact.
Old 2020-03-22, 13:49   Link #266
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Sorry to say it, but you are forgetting collateral damage. Back when the ebola epidemic in africa, the biggest killer wasn't ebola. Suppose you are in the hospital due a non covid-19 health problem. Chances are there wont be enough medical staff to treat you (atm 10% of the health profesionals in spain are already infected of covid-19). The ones that are not infected are overworked beyond the limit (need I link the viral photo of the italian nurse sleep at the keyboard?) and that means simple errors (i.e. wrong medication or dosage) that can cost a patients life. Let's not forget the story of the hand sanitizer hoarder that amazon prohibited from re-selling his stash, down the line some hospital might no have hand sanitizer which might mean bacterial infections (in a world when antibiotics are one step from becoming placebos) after surgery.

So multiply your estimate by two and brace for impact.
That damage is already done I'm afraid even if there is no new number of death. The socio-economical impact will take years to unravel. How bad it will be depended on how long it takes to get handle of this at the moment. Longer it takes, far more severe it will be. For example, there will be far more us cities that will be as bad as Baltimore or Chicago. And that's just crime. I don't even want to think about this right now.
Old 2020-03-22, 14:29   Link #267
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The Imperial College report estimated a death toll of 2.2 million for the US.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90479274...might-be-wrong
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-22, 14:31   Link #268
Johnny Dy

And they said 2020 won't mean nothing.
Maybe they've just misread 2012!
Old 2020-03-22, 15:42   Link #269
Toukairin
Banned

About time that Western media start giving more attention to how Taiwan did and are currently doing their job.

Inside Taiwan during COVID-19: How the country kept schools and businesses open throughout pandemic (CBC)

Bring Taiwan to the WHO table and let them smack their message to all of us. If China still wants to throw a fit because of that mere idea after everything that has happened, they are free to go and leave the seat at the table for Taiwan. But seriously though, this ain't the time for China to even think about acting like a child.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2020-03-22 at 20:58.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-22, 19:16   Link #270
ramlaen

Senate Democrats on Sunday blocked a coronavirus stimulus package from moving forward as talks on several key provisions remain stalled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
Bring Taiwan to the WHO table and let them smack their message to all of us.
Won't happen as long as China is one of the main sources of WHO funds.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-22, 19:20   Link #271
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Abput time that Western media start giving more attention to how Taiwan did and are currently doing their job.

Inside Taiwan during COVID-19: How the country kept schools and businesses open throughout pandemic (CBC)

Bring Taiwan to the WHO table and let them smack their message to all of us. If China still wants to throw a fit because of that mere idea after everything that has happened, they are free to go and leave the seat at the table for Taiwan. But seriously though, this ain't the time for China to even think about acting like a child.
Their strategy seems to be giving everyone a mask to contain cough droplets and frequent temperature checks.
In theory this strategy could be applied to the US, but on the other hand,
aren't we experiencing medical supply shortages which includes masks right now?

IIRC, most of the infrastructure for mass producing this is overseas.
where as Taiwan can make 10 million masks per day on its own.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-22, 21:06   Link #272
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
Won't happen as long as China is one of the main sources of WHO funds.
If they STILL want to throw a fit after all of this, they can do it and leave their seat to Taiwan. However, China better not complain if they are then accused of dereliction of duty towards humanity because of a childish tantrum.

In other news:

Canadian athletes will not compete at Tokyo 2020 Olympics due to risks of COVID-19

Like everyone else, I was eagerly waiting for those Olympic games. But disregarding the truth is a no-go. Up your fucking ass to both of you, Abe and Bach.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
In theory this strategy could be applied to the US, but on the other hand,
aren't we experiencing medical supply shortages which includes masks right now?
I can't tell for the US, but Canada may still be able to work things out according to Taiwan's Foreign Minister. Perhaps it has entered another phase in the US now.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-22, 21:18   Link #273
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Abe announced that a decision will be made if the 2020 games will be postponed.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-22, 21:20   Link #274
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
If Canada drops out, who will get all the bronze?
Old 2020-03-22, 21:37   Link #275
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
If Canada drops out, who will get all the bronze?
Now THAT is tempting! If also the USA, europe & australia drop out, you can bet Asian & third world countries will send delegations with the hope of getting a medal. With everybody at home you can bet people will still watch and support the country of their preference (or at least support the country that might beat china, i.e.).
Old 2020-03-22, 21:53   Link #276
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I would like to ask, you mean hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine phosphate? what is the dosage you recommend? Yeah, I want to compare notes in case I or someone in my family becomes infected because I know that in my country soon enough there wont be enough beds or ventilators and the only real chance is giving the body enough time to develop immunity. I have a mother in her eighties and if Italy with their excellent health service is letting those 65 or older to die, here no doubt they will simply close the doors once they are at full capacity and tell everybody to go home and quarantine by themselves.

On a side note, here is a short video that shows the level of NO2 pollution in (China and) Northern Italy, truly the perfect storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN11zZxtNkI
Still waiting on a global consensus.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-22, 23:36   Link #277
Key Board
Carbon

https://imgur.com/c7kFMZf

This sounds like a "it's just a flu" or "let people die" strategy to me.

https://imgur.com/JcHvu7T

This was yesterday's stats.

Will "spreading covid19 to own leftists" be a meme now?

/shrug

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-23, 00:26   Link #278
Skulkraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Will "spreading covid19 to own leftists" be a meme now?

/shrug

//
...Sort of.

Quote:
Racist extremist groups, including neo-Nazis and other white supremacists, are encouraging members who contract novel coronavirus disease to spread the contagion to cops and Jews, according to intelligence gathered by the FBI.

The FBI alert, which went out on Thursday, told local police agencies that extremists want their followers to try to use spray bottles to spread bodily fluids to cops on the street. The extremists are also directing followers to spread the disease to Jews by going "any place they may be congregated, to include markets, political offices, businesses and places of worship."
Old 2020-03-23, 05:19   Link #279
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...145122752.html

The Ayatollah says any potential American aid is a no no and thinks the government/military may be the big bad guy meant to take out the Iranian populace, something shared with Lijian Zhao's tweet.

On the good(?) side, Nazanin Ratcliffe was allowed to be released due to concerns that she can catch the virus while in prison.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-23, 05:41   Link #280
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Please don't forget.

MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote