AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2015-09-30, 22:03   Link #241
Skye629

Ok from that info 2 things of note:

Oh yay, the pilot is right in front of the reactor. Thats good for the mentioned reasons but bad in the case it blows

We are gonna be getting a lot of comedic scenes simply from the fact the protag cant read. This will be fun
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-30, 22:35   Link #242
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
We are gonna be getting a lot of comedic scenes simply from the fact the protag cant read. This will be fun
Still, there’s the possibility that he will learn how to read throughout the series, right? Probably the princess will teach him? Like Tarzan & Jane?

Anyway, I think the illiterate aspect of him is a nice touch coz it highlights how poor the lives of these “orphans” are. No more super-soldier who can do everything like Heero.
Old 2015-09-30, 22:39   Link #243
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
its a wonder on how Mikazuki even operates a suit's operating computer systems, let alone a freaking Gundam that is said to be difficult to handle despite not being able to read, maybe its like handling a car or something
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-01, 00:33   Link #244
The 48th Ronin

So we actually have 72 Gundams (72 Demons reference, a reverse of Gundam 00)? Would all of them show up in-series?
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-01, 01:21   Link #245
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I doubt it. We'll see at least three of them, and we'll probably see a few more in whatever MSV series IBO gets.
Old 2015-10-01, 01:35   Link #246
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
So we actually have 72 Gundams (72 Demons reference, a reverse of Gundam 00)? Would all of them show up in-series?
Well, like I said some pages ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The better question is: are we sure the mecha designers of IBO series already came up with most of those 72 different Gundam designs and made them official? If not, we don’t even have to worry whether or not the show will have sufficient episodes to feature most of those 72 Gundams coz most of them will likely not appear in the show in any significant capacity.

So let's first wait for the linearts released by Sunrise/Bandai for that.
This setting kinda reminds me of Gundam X where there are supposed to be legions of Gundams 15 years-or-so ago during its war period. But during the show, only X, Airmaster & Leopard left (not sure if Virsago & Ashtaron are also used during the big war).
Old 2015-10-01, 02:07   Link #247
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Wow, 21 tons is pretty light. I wonder whether Ahab Particles have the ability to reduce mass (I.E. generate negative mass effect) like GN Particles can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot's Blade View Post
its a wonder on how Mikazuki even operates a suit's operating computer systems, let alone a freaking Gundam that is said to be difficult to handle despite not being able to read, maybe its like handling a car or something
I know mobile suits in UC are designed to be easy to handle. One of the books that acts as the mobile suit pilot's manual mentioned that even a elementary school student can handle it and in general goes on to explain all the simple operation that you can do. It's because a lot of the systems are automated and all you need are to do a few things.

It's also why the OS is so important for the controls. Why Kira modifying the OS in Seed can make a big difference and why the switch to an inferior OS that had less computational support increased the strain to the Gundam pilots in 00, since there's likely more for them to do or automation is more slower.

Being illiterate might take that difficulty a step further as even elementary schoolchildren can read, but I think if you can learn to recognize a few words to mean a specific action or outcome, it should be enough if the overall system is that simple.

I play a racing game totally in Japanese in fact (Initial D Arcade Stage 8, and the best racing game ever made as far as I'm concerned) and I can recognize a few Japanese words to mean a specific things even if I can't understand them in a language fluency sense. I can understand enough to know specific courses and what specific words refer to even if I don't "know" them or can read them in another setting like a book. Of course, I wouldn't be able to do the same for say, a text heavy RPG as I'll need to actually know a lot of words to play it effectively.

Text-wise, the system must be simple enough that not many words are needed in order to understand the basic operation. Either that or there's an AI shouting status reports out loud but the latter is very rare in Gundam so I doubt it's that.

Of course the HG manual did say he has a super soldier treatment three times and that also helped his compatability with Barbatos due to thag Organic Device System thingy so there may be other things in play here.

========

Here's the pilot's manual I talked about earlier, translated by the man himself. The pilot's manual is for the Gelgoog Jaeger from Universal Century timeline.

http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?p=111784#p111784

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysdream
Here's the summary I typed up based on the pilot's manual in Entertainment Bible 1.

MS PILOT MANUAL
Paraphrased from "Entertainment Bible 1: MS Encylopedia, One Year War Edition"

1. Console Explanation

An introduction establishes that, yes, this is the cockpit of the Gelgoog Jaeger. The images on the four main monitors are derived from the 12 cameras distributed around the mobile suit's body, to present the external world as if you were sitting in its head. (You're warned not to forget to protect the torso, where you're actually sitting.)

The communications monitor on the top console is used to communicate with the deck crew and operators aboard your carrier ship. Thanks to Minovsky interference, you can only get visuals over short distances; after that, it's voice only. Although there's a dedicated rear-view display, you'll get an automatic verbal warning if an enemy gets behind you, and you can then use the controls on the left console to put the rear-view image up on the main monitor.

Most of the mobile suit's critical functions are handled by the control sticks and foot pedals. The sticks control the flight direction, and also house the trigger and weapon selector, while the foot pedals provide throttle and braking functions. Even in combat, most of the mobile suit's functions are computer-controlled; as a result, even a grade-schooler could operate it.

Panel and Console Diagram

A diagram calls out the major controls in the mobile suit cockpit. The diagram is based on the latter-model Zeon cockpit used in Gundam 0080 (and the manual as a whole uses the Gelgoog Jaeger as its example mobile suit). The cockpit consists of a seat and four monitor panels - front, top, left, and right. The front and top monitors sport small control consoles, and the other instruments are built into the seat or its side consoles.

The top monitor console includes two smaller screens - a rear-view monitor and a communications monitor (on the left and right sides respectively). In between are a set of sensor mode selectors.

The front monitor console bears, left to right, generator starter switches; a threat warning panel; and monitor toggle switches.

The left and right armrests of the seat sport almost identical controls. Each side has a sliding control stick - I think the right is for weapons, and the left for steering, but there may be some functional overlap - plus a row of ten buttons for manually activating the apogee motors. The left armrest also sports a throttle lever, which seems to function something like a gear shift for the thrusters. Additional side consoles are attached to the armrests; these contain controls for communications and external monitor modes (on the left), drive/fuel system mode selectors, and warning monitors (on the right). A mysterious "index sub-console" dangles off the right console.

Finally, there are the two foot pedals - brake on the left, throttle on the right. The throttle pedal functions like a car's accelerator. (Note that the upper limit of your thruster output is governed by the throttle lever on the left armrest.)

2. Launch Sequence

When you enter the cockpit, first buckle up your seatbelt! Then turn on the generator (via the front console), check the warning monitors (on the right console), and use the monitor toggles (front console again) to switch to systems check mode. If anything's wrong, holler for the deck crew.

Now you're ready to get on the catapult. Set the drive system mode to "walk" (via the right console) and proceed to the catapult as per your operator's directions, picking up your weapons on the way. Use the throttle pedal to walk forward, the control sticks to turn, and the brake pedal to stop. (I think you're meant to keep the brake pedal down until you're ready to launch.)

Once you're on the catapult, it's time to warm up your thrusters. First set the drive/fuel system mode to "catapult shoot" (right console again), then release the lock on the throttle lever (left armrest) and slide it into "idling" position. Check the warning monitors again, and set the throttle lever to "taxi-ing" position. (This lets you use your thrusters to pick up a little extra speed during launch.)

When your operator gives you the signal, you're clear to launch. Just release the brake pedal, and you'll be shot into space. Using your thrusters as little as possible (to conserve propellant), join your teammates in formation. You can use the index sub-console (attached to the right console) to load pre-programmed mission routes, including your return course at the end of the mission.

(Note: From the following chapters I gather that, after launch, the throttle lever position should be set to "idling" - zero thrust - and the drive/fuel system should be set to "cruising" mode, but it's not clearly specified. I guess that's covered in the omitted Chapter 2.5, "Flying in a Straight Line.")

3. Combat Sequence

The warning panel (on the front console) will alert you to approaching enemies - in this example, because your mono-eye's infra-red sensors have picked up their thruster flares. Set the sensor mode to "scan" (via the top console), and the mono-eye will automatically seek out enemy targets. As you enter battle, set the drive/fuel system mode to "combat," and crank up the throttle lever for bursts of propellant-burning speed.

Set the combat mode selector on the right control stick to "shooting," and release the trigger lock. A targeting reticule will then appear on your main monitor, while enemy units will be tagged with target symbols. Use the control stick to move the reticule onto the desired target, get a lock-on, and pull the trigger. In close-quarters combat, set the combat mode selector to "melee." Go a few seconds at full throttle - can't waste propellant! - to close the distance, then pull the trigger to swipe with your beam sword.

In the course of this chapter's combat example, there's some discussion of dealing with battle damage. You can use the index sub-console to switch hands, the manual activation buttons will turn red to indicate lost apogee motors, et cetera. Also, as you use up your propellant, you should adjust the throttle lever to reduce your thrust.

Once combat is over, you can return to your mission route. Set the drive/fuel system mode back to "cruising" while you check for damage and glance at your propellant levels. All clear? Set the sensor mode back to "warning" (via the top console), put the throttle lever back into "idling" position, and continue on your course.

4. Escape Sequence

This chapter details the workings of the emergency ejection mechanism, which is activated by opening a box under the seat and pulling on the "escape ring" inside. The mobile suit's chest armor blows off, and then the seat is launched about a quarter of a second later. The seat's rocket motors fire for up to 30 seconds, with a peak acceleration of 16 gees; within five seconds you'll be a kilometer away from the mobile suit, safely clear of the blast radius. (I note that these figures indicate an average acceleration of 8 gees.)

Once you've ejected, you can maneuver the drifting seat with its built-in apogee motors. The life-support systems provide five days' worth of air, and three days' worth of food and water (presumably delivered in-helmet), while a beacon signals to friendly rescuers. Or unfriendly ones - thanks, Antarctic Treaty!

The chapter closes by discussing how the ejection mechanism can be employed in other environments - inside space colonies, on Earth, on the moon, et cetera.

5. Return Sequence

Assuming your mission went well, you now get to return to your carrier ship. Your operator will guide you through the final stage of the approach. Once you reach the ship's hull, turn on your foot magnets, set the throttle lever to "idling," and set your drive/fuel system mode to "walk." Then, once you're safely back in the hangar, switch the drive/fuel system to "maintenance" mode. This will shut down the thrusters, lock all the drive systems, and finally power down the generator. Good job!

-- Mark

Last edited by SonicSP; 2015-10-01 at 08:43.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-02, 03:33   Link #248
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
So is there any chance that there will be other Gundams with name from Ars Goetia appear ? The final villain should have a gundam called "Solomon"
Woohoo! My guest actually come true! . So they do use the Ars Goetia's demons to name their Gundams. Sweet heaven, I'm hyped for this show again
Old 2015-10-02, 08:39   Link #249
donie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn
So is there any chance that there will be other Gundams with name from Ars Goetia appear ? The final villain should have a gundam called "Solomon"
Woohoo! My guest actually come true! . So they do use the Ars Goetia's demons to name their Gundams. Sweet heaven, I'm hyped for this show again
their final boss will gundam david

wait wrong thread lol
donie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 07:18   Link #250
NWJY
Newbei Enter

U know this series remind me a bit of Wing Series and 00Series
NWJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 08:47   Link #251
The 48th Ronin

More like Wing with a touch of Valvrave.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 09:53   Link #252
B214

For me i would say it's like Age.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 11:53   Link #253
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJY View Post
U know this series remind me a bit of Wing Series and 00Series
Wing is on point, but definitely not 00; I'd throw in Argevollen instead. (...Not that anyone watched that one )

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
For me i would say it's like Age.
If you mean the Mars/Earth conflict, this would be "reverse" Age
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 11:55   Link #254
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Wing is on point, but definitely not 00; I'd throw in Argevollen instead. (...Not that anyone watched that one )
*raises hand* As a proper mecha-fan, I can proudly say that I've watched Argevollen and enjoyed it a lot .
Old 2015-10-04, 12:00   Link #255
Galaxian

Quote:
00 would fit if Setsuna started piloting a Gundam immediately after the 0 Gundam incident, back when he was still in the trenches as a child soldier.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 13:04   Link #256
B214

Quote:
They probably thought of 00 because of Aina and Mika interaction (Marina and Setsuna).

Quote:
If you mean the Mars/Earth conflict, this would be "reverse" Age
Something like that.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 13:10   Link #257
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
They probably thought of 00 because of Aina and Mika interaction (Marina and Setsuna).
I would think it's because of this...

Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 14:07   Link #258
00 raizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
I would think it's because of this...

i also think the same thing....
00 raizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 15:46   Link #259
Wandering Soul

Quote:

I'll have you know good sir, that I watched Argevollen and enjoyed it.
Old 2015-10-04, 16:12   Link #260
Skye629

The youtube vid does not work despite being english sub........

Welp........
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote