AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-08-07, 03:13   Link #241
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

You know sea, it's really difficult to say if Horo's human appearance has ever changed at all, or will ever change in the future...if you take that possibility into account, then there's no way to tell how long she has left to live.
judgment26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 03:20   Link #242
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

sigh, ah well...I was hoping math could get me off this depressing topic...so instead, let's talk about how Judgment gave us one of the biggest cravings for more of all time

Last Section, of the Last Chapter, of the end of a Volume....of course it's going to leave the largest craving...ahhh!!! ^_^

Hey Judg...how does it feel? Looking back to how you started in April, and seeing where you're at now, around 4 months later?

Now off to read Barb's update ^_^
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 03:26   Link #243
salv87
Can't think of a title^_^

how come we don't know about barbs update?? ^_^

I'm also interested in Judges situation.. I hope you liked the series and are not planning on giving up? ^_^
salv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 03:37   Link #244
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Wow, it's amazing what you miss when you work nights. You guys seem to have written the book on possible Lawrence/Horo relationships. Geez. Personally, I can't help but think of Beren and Luthien from J.R.R. Tolkien. (They put Arwen/Aragorn to shame.) Not that it ended well. Wait, it did. Afterwards. It's complicated.

Anyway... (With my Freeze Ray I will stop the world. (Sorry, I had to.))

I've always kept in mind that the goal was to drop Horo off in the north anyway, so it's not like either of them was counting on a lasting relationship. Sure, things might get weird after, say, 10 years, but that's in 10 years. And sure, Horo might outlive Lawrence, (understatement!) but she seems quite capable of going on. I mean, she just found out
Spoiler for what Deanna said.:
and she's still playing head games. Albeit more serious ones. My point is, she's not that fragile! If Lawrence dies after 50 years, it's not the end of Horo's world. Sure, it would suck to be her, but she'd move on, and another hundred years down the road, if she's drunk enough, someone might hear about how they remind her of this one merchant she knew...

She's not the kind to get all attached. She's been around for hundreds of years, and the death of a friend, even a loved one, isn't all that big a deal when you consider the scale of her life. So I don't think she's afraid of commitment, and I certainly don't think Lawrence is the end-all, be-all of Horo's life. He's an interesting companion, and she'll stick with him, but she knows that it will end, and I think she'll be okay with that. Her real issue is fear of abandonment, and being alone. But Lawrence dying of old age isn't really abandonment, is it? Not like he has a choice in it. So yeah, I say this is just another chapter of Horo's life, and she'd be the first to say it.

Oh, and Sea? You should probably take a break after this chapter. I'm beginning to worry about your health.

And as for YOU, Salv.

Last edited by Blank-Mage; 2008-08-07 at 03:43. Reason: Now with 37% better wording!
Blank-Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 03:48   Link #245
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Horo is weird character in terms of age. She might well be over 700 years but in terms of human society she is still not more of a teenage girl (if not younger) as we can see discovering the most simple things as something new for her.

And yes, she would probably find new friends or even new love with time...

As someone said "The hardest thing to bear - that there is nothing unbearable." It means that with time we are able to cope with everything even with the loss of our closest most important persons...

On the other hand wolves are known to be very devoted to their partners, if wolves make a pair then this pair will last for the rest of their lives... Humans can't match wolves in terms of devotion, sadly...

And since Horo isn't really a human nor a wolf it is hard to tell if she would make a new love or maybe would make new friends but her only love would be Lawrence...
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 04:31   Link #246
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

So I read the past from Chapter 1 that Barb put out, and Horo makes specific references to the reason she set out on her journey. It was to find a friend. Lawrence asks if she's found one, and gets the response that it was the guy from the wheat village. He also mentions how it sounds like she's talking about her old boyfriend. If Horo can move onto Lawrence, I'm sure she can move off him too.

He should stick with Nora ^_^
Old 2008-08-07, 05:37   Link #247
Darknemo2000

Well tahts how it sounds for Lawrence, but not many of his thoughts or impressions are right, so if we won't hear for sure I would say that he might be just a friend for her.
Old 2008-08-07, 06:35   Link #248
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Quote:
Last Section, of the Last Chapter, of the end of a Volume....of course it's going to leave the largest craving...ahhh!!! ^_^

Hey Judg...how does it feel? Looking back to how you started in April, and seeing where you're at now, around 4 months later?
Not quite the last section, but certainly the most dramatic one. Don't forget that there's an epilogue after this section, which will bring this novel to a conclusion.

How do I feel? Well, considering this will be the first book of considerable length that I've ever translated, I feel pretty excited.

Quote:
I'm also interested in Judges situation.. I hope you liked the series and are not planning on giving up? ^_^
Giving up the series, or translating? xD
Well I certainly won't be giving up on the series. As for translating.....

Spoiler for oh noes....the big decision!:
Old 2008-08-07, 06:58   Link #249
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn16 View Post
So I read the past from Chapter 1 that Barb put out, and Horo makes specific references to the reason she set out on her journey. It was to find a friend. Lawrence asks if she's found one, and gets the response that it was the guy from the wheat village. He also mentions how it sounds like she's talking about her old boyfriend. If Horo can move onto Lawrence, I'm sure she can move off him too.

He should stick with Nora ^_^
If so, she waited centuries after his death to move on. Human females do that much faster, in general.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 07:05   Link #250
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Well, they either do it much faster, or they die, so yeah....
Old 2008-08-07, 07:23   Link #251
Darknemo2000

Well again, I do not see him being her boyfriend to begin with as long as i don't see something more substantial than Lawrence judgment which is very often off anyway.
Old 2008-08-07, 09:03   Link #252
salv87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
And as for YOU, Salv.
what's for me ? ^_^

Well, if we remember the way she was talking about that person in the anime.. even there Lawrence thought that she longed for that person from her past.. and if she becomes even more atached to lawrence then she will remeber him even longer..
but as we see she has the strength to live after everything.. so she will be ok I guess.
Old 2008-08-07, 12:03   Link #253
Blank-Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by salv87 View Post
what's for me ? ^_^
Nothing, I'm just having fun at your expense.

Man, I really hope no one leaks the ending by accident when it comes out. That would suck.
Old 2008-08-07, 13:23   Link #254
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It is implicit, but the boy from long ago Horo speaks of (the one for which she made the pact with the village) must have been her first love after getting lost from the pack. Its just the way she speaks of him.

Lawrence is on the cusp of becoming her second great love and that makes up the story we are following. The story we're reading could end in so many ways
Somehow I doubt the story will end with the reader having to experience the crushing grief of immortality - unless the author really wants to kill his readers

I for one would never ask someone to not love again after I "check out" no matter how close we were. If they can find happiness again - since I truly love them, I'd want that for them.
Old 2008-08-07, 13:27   Link #255
salv87

B-M evil you are ^_^

Vexx.. sound reasonable from my point of view..
but kinda sucks if this happens before you *check out*, right?? ^_^
Meaning what if.. thats a big IF.. Amati would win Horo over and THEY continued to travel further without Amati being told that Horo is a "proud wolf" ^_^
Old 2008-08-07, 15:06   Link #256
Darknemo2000

Well it still doesn't indicate that it was a relationship between her and that someone from the past. It could easily be her first crush that we all experience sometime... A real love and relationship could still be with Lawrence first (if they would ever go that far).
Old 2008-08-07, 21:28   Link #257
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Well...can't really say that Horo ever "moved on," after all, she was stuck on the land, and didn't have much of a chance to really meet other people if you know what I mean.

It's also not really Horo I'm worried about after Lawrence dies. It's Lawrence I'm still worrying about. If that makes any sense...^_^

Loving someone that will treat you as a passing "thing" when they continue on, to me, is horrible. When it comes down to it, I almost hope this turns out like SaiKano. The ending of that...I never cried so hard or so long at the end of anything like I did then..."Shuu-chan...gomenne" probably the saddest words I've ever heard, or will hear.....
Old 2008-08-07, 23:53   Link #258
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Well, what we know for sure about Horo's past life around humans is: Horo went looking for new/old friends/a friend. Horo was/still is bound to the land/the wheat. Horo made an agreement/pact to do so thanks to one boy/man she met. Horo speaks fondly of that male figure.

Anything else?
Old 2008-08-08, 01:37   Link #259
Blank-Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
Well, what we know for sure about Horo's past life around humans is: Horo went looking for new/old friends/a friend. Horo was/still is bound to the land/the wheat. Horo made an agreement/pact to do so thanks to one boy/man she met. Horo speaks fondly of that male figure.

Anything else?
Wow, when you put it that way, we don't know ANYTHING, do we?
Old 2008-08-08, 01:46   Link #260
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... when you're considering your prospects in the present... it isn't really very fair to babble on about someone in the past (especially if they're dead).

Horo is a "wise wolf" after all...

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen