AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: Mahouka [LN/M] - Master Clan Conference Arc (Volume 17-19) Rating
Perfect 10 12 25.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 21.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 27.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 14.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.13%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-03-13, 20:09   Link #2481
BalorView

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
Tatsuya be like "Bitch I'll kick yo ass".

No, with Maya
Spoiler:

Quote:
You challenged me ? The mighty Onii-sama ? And you expected me went lightly on you ? No, I'm not your typical anime mainchar
He literally thought this
BalorView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 20:20   Link #2482
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueAlchemist View Post
It is funny to see that Chiba family does not seem to have similar first names compared to other families. Maybe, the author was not planning to give them a significant role in Mahouka besides Erika.
I'm 99.9% sure that Erika was named by her mother.

Toshikazu and Naotsugu appeared a lot so I doubt their names were not planned. It might represent that the Chiba aren't in "harmony" internally like the other clans.

Quote:
Regarding life force, we may see Mahouka version of "Life tap" from the world of Warcarft.
The parasites already have that skill going by the Visitor arc.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 20:48   Link #2483
TrueAlchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
The parasites already have that skill going by the Visitor arc.
Parasites simply sucks life force in order to survive, but they never converted life force into magic. And, "Life Tap" is a skill that is used by warlock from WoW. It simply converts a small portion of health to magic. In vol.19, Toshikazu and Inagaki converted their life force into Gram Demolition, so it is a little different, but the concept seems similar. I don't know how the author wants to use this idea of converting life force to magic, but if the author wants, he can even introduce the way for a normal people to practice magic by using life force or possibly sacrificing their lives.
TrueAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 21:00   Link #2484
Zeborg

Great summary again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashingan View Post
She then asked about Gu Jie, Tatsuya explained back everything. Shen then asked to Tatsuya for duel. Just after she raise one of her feet from seiza position, Tatsuya immediately kicked her to the wall. She picked near wooden sword near the wall, attacked Tatsuya (but lacked her usual sharpness). Tatsuya grabbed wooden sword with his hand and throw it together with Erika. Erika admitted defeat and then crying.
Man, I kind of expected it but Tatsuya really is ice cold.

Quote:
After that, Tatsuya, together with Miyuki and Kuroba twin went to Magic Association in Kyoto. Because Maya was there so he would report to Maya directly.

Maya then questioned Tatsuya on how Tatsuya tracked Gu Jie. Tatsuya explained he developed new magic. But why takes so long? Maya doubted it. Tatsuya answered because he need fulfill certain condition. Maya tried to asked it but Tatsuya hesitated to answer. (Of course he couldn't say, "it's the magic that can't be used unless he embraces Miyuki") so he answered the condition was perceptive-wise so he couldn't explained it well.
Maya then somehow understood it after seeing Miyuki's red face and somehow smiled amusingly.
There he explained too about life-force as source of magic which gave a new idea to Maya of new realm of experiment.
Tatsuya is becoming even more hax. First he developed Byron lance and now he has this technique with which he can place a tracker on anyone anywhere through the information dimension.
Which, of course he probably won't be doing that much because he doesn't take ES away from Miyuki.

Also, personally I find the Tatsuya/Maya interactions very entertaining to read. The mischievous mother and the troublesome son.. And they are both kind of crazy. Satou should really give them more screen time.

Quote:
According to the previous summary, Toudo Aoba said, Tatsuya is a part of final/ultimate, and his power is accidental. I think, Aoba was talking about Tatsuya's elemental sight because the elemental sight was not created by Miya and Maya; they only influenced decomposition and regrowth. Maybe, 4th institute was built in order to research something related to the elemental sight, or at least the elemental sight was one of centerpieces to Aoba's true objective. On the next Arc, we may finally witness Aoba making a move on Tatsuya.
I think it might just be the fact that Tatsuya got his powers through the collective wishes of the Yotsuba clan. The way he got his powers is really unique and probably cannot be replicated.
Zeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 21:05   Link #2485
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeborg View Post
Tatsuya is becoming even more hax. First he developed Byron lance and now he has this technique with which he can place a tracker on anyone anywhere through the information dimension.
The "tracking anyone in the information dimension" was actually mentioned in passing in the Yokohama's arc (I just re-read it), it's not a new technique, it's just how the information dimension works. It's basically a file system, once he tagged a file (i.e. a person) he can find it again easily in the info dimension.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 21:10   Link #2486
Fairy Water

Wtf Tat?

I also expect him would defeat Erika easily but he really saves time, doesn't he?
Now I feel like Erika crying also because Tat is too brutal. Can't blame him, he also upset about everything.

Why do I feel like Erika would come back to normal by the time they r all at school?
Fairy Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 21:14   Link #2487
Zeborg

Quote:
The "tracking anyone in the information dimension" was actually mentioned in passing in the Yokohama's arc (I just re-read it), it's not a new technique, it's just how the information dimension works. It's basically a file system, once he tagged a file (i.e. a person) he can find it again easily in the info dimension.
I know how information dimension works. But he hasn't been able to track people before. For example in volume 8 he was able to track the bullets because he had remade them, which meant he could instantly recognize them. Obviously he didn't kill and restore Gue Jie though, so he has some other method to track others through distances now.
In any case, he tells Maya it's a new magic, so I don't really see the point of this.
Old 2016-03-13, 21:14   Link #2488
Diocar

Quote:
The problem is that 10MC is not a part of Japanese government or military. It can be labeled as NGO or falls under the private sector. So, 10MC cannot do much on USNA directly.

In vol.17, Lina warned Tatsuya and Miyuki that Canopus is coming to Japan, and he is stronger than Lina in battle if Lina does not use Heavy Metal Blast.

Again, Thanks you for great summaries.

It is funny to see that Chiba family does not seem to have similar first names compared to other families. Maybe, the author was not planning to give them a significant role in Mahouka besides Erika.

Again, it seems like, Yotsuba does not know what elemental sight is capable of. Based on the reaction from Yakumo at vol.17, he must know more about the elemental sight than Yotsuba.
Regarding life force, we may see Mahouka version of "Life tap" from the world of Warcarft.

According to the previous summary, Toudo Aoba said, Tatsuya is a part of final/ultimate, and his power is accidental. I think, Aoba was talking about Tatsuya's elemental sight because the elemental sight was not created by Miya and Maya; they only influenced decomposition and regrowth. Maybe, 4th institute was built in order to research something related to the elemental sight, or at least the elemental sight was one of centerpieces to Aoba's true objective. On the next Arc, we may finally witness Aoba making a move on Tatsuya.
It is heavily implied that his regrowth and decomposition are because of his elemental sight. So if 4th lab is working to create a better elemental sight it would basically create someone which also has decomp and regrowth. In my opinion it doesn t make any sense to give those powers to another character...
For now it seems more reasonable that the lab is interested in creating a better AMCA which was one of theirs past projects and tats amca is actually an unfinished product. Besides if perfected tats amca would be able to create directly magic sequences and allow everyone to cast magic! it would be a magic reavolution!!!!
Diocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 21:17   Link #2489
Diocar

Quote:
The new magic is the method to mark a eidos so that he can follow it at anytime. Otherwise he would need to search the info dim each time he wanted to know about the target.

Quote:
Parasites simply sucks life force in order to survive, but they never converted life force into magic. And, "Life Tap" is a skill that is used by warlock from WoW. It simply converts a small portion of health to magic. In vol.19, Toshikazu and Inagaki converted their life force into Gram Demolition, so it is a little different, but the concept seems similar. I don't know how the author wants to use this idea of converting life force to magic, but if the author wants, he can even introduce the way for a normal people to practice magic by using life force or possibly sacrificing their lives.
When far strike was introduced didn t he author talk about how some ancient magic users would be able to use chi to deflect it? Given gu jie's expertise with ancient magic wouldn t it be more interesting that he found a way to transform chi into psions (or something like that)? It is just that to me using your life force (as long as it doesn t recharge) to cast magic sounds disaponting... And chi can actually be interpreted as life force.

Last edited by LKK; 2016-03-14 at 07:57. Reason: posts merged. don't post multiple times in a row. edit instead.
Old 2016-03-13, 22:04   Link #2490
TrueAlchemist

Quote:
I think it might just be the fact that Tatsuya got his powers through the collective wishes of the Yotsuba clan. The way he got his powers is really unique and probably cannot be replicated.
No. There is no such thing as collective wishes of Yotsuba clan. It was misinterpreted when spoilers from 2chan first came out. Yotsuba clan wanted a strong magician to protect the clan, but the rest of Yotsuba did not do anything, and they only agreed the idea of using mental interference power on fetus(Tatsuya) in order to create a magician who is strong enough to protect the rest of clan. So, Miya was solely responsible for creating Tatsuya's power. Later, Maya clams, she was responsible not Miya, and she called Tatsuya as her spiritual son. But, no one exactly knows who is responsible for creating Tatsuya's power because Miya is dead. But, if the illustration of baby Tatsuya and Miya & Maya holds any meaning, both Miya and Maya wanted the same thing and were equally responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocar View Post
It is heavily implied that his regrowth and decomposition are because of his elemental sight. So if 4th lab is working to create a better elemental sight it would basically create someone which also has decomp and regrowth. In my opinion it doesn t make any sense to give those powers to another character...
For now it seems more reasonable that the lab is interested in creating a better AMCA which was one of theirs past projects and tats amca is actually an unfinished product. Besides if perfected tats amca would be able to create directly magic sequences and allow everyone to cast magic! it would be a magic reavolution!!!!
Personally, I think, it is a plot hole. During the Yotsuba inheritance Arc, Mitsugu said, in some ways Tatsuya's decomposition and regrowth are what they wished (ability to destroy any enemy and ability to protect anyone from harm), but the elemental sight was not a part of them. However, without elemental sight decomposition and regrowth may not be as useful as now. I hope, the next arc would solve mysteries of elemental sight.
Old 2016-03-13, 22:23   Link #2491
jamjr

Finally have the time to read volume 19 tonight, I feel that the gap between volume 18 and 19 release is a little wide I mean when I was about to read volume 19 I was lost and was like how the hell did this happen again, maybe I just stop my brain from remembering volume 18 I mean the impression that volume 18 left me is school life or romcom and not mahouka. Anyway before I read Volume 19 just a question by not reading Masaki's BS diary SS does it affect the story or is it just a retelling of events with Masaki's perspective or is it a new independent srory altogether? Thanks
jamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 22:29   Link #2492
Diocar

Quote:
No. There is no such thing as collective wishes of Yotsuba clan. It was misinterpreted when spoilers from 2chan first came out. Yotsuba clan wanted a strong magician to protect the clan, but the rest of Yotsuba did not do anything, and they only agreed the idea of using mental interference power on fetus(Tatsuya) in order to create a magician who is strong enough to protect the rest of clan. So, Miya was solely responsible for creating Tatsuya's power. Later, Maya clams, she was responsible not Miya, and she called Tatsuya as her spiritual son. But, no one exactly knows who is responsible for creating Tatsuya's power because Miya is dead. But, if the illustration of baby Tatsuya and Miya & Maya holds any meaning, both Miya and Maya wanted the same thing and were equally responsible.

Personally, I think, it is a plot hole. During the Yotsuba inheritance Arc, Mitsugu said, in some ways Tatsuya's decomposition and regrowth are what they wished (ability to destroy any enemy and ability to protect anyone from harm), but the elemental sight was not a part of them. However, without elemental sight decomposition and regrowth may not be as useful as now. I hope, the next arc would solve mysteries of elemental sight.
The author can always say that ES is a sensory magic /the way tats connects to the info dim and he uses it to cast decomp and regrouth. However someone with only his ES wouldn t be able to cast his magic because their mca can t handle it. The point is: what is there to upgrade about his ES? Make it sensitive to pushions? and how useful is ES without regrowth and decomp? Besides ES isn t really related to mind interference magic, it is more sensory magic or whatever it is called.
Old 2016-03-13, 22:33   Link #2493
Zeborg

Quote:
What do you mean? It's in the translation.. Are you saying it's incorrect?
Quote:
A demon with the power to destroy the world. That was an
existence that we, the Yotsuba Family, prayed for. Our prayer of
wishing for the destruction of the world, the symbol of the Sin of the
Yotsuba.
And, I think you're also mistaken about Miya/Maya. When Mitsugu is explaining it to Tatsuya, he doesn't actually himself know that the wish to destroy the world came from Maya, not Miya. So he mistakenly tells Tatsuya that Miya wished for the destruction of the world, when it's in fact Maya, as she tells it later on in the volume. Probably only Miya and Maya knew that. Mitsugu had no way of knowing that it was even possible that Maya could alter the MCA through Miya.

The way I see it is that everyone in the clan helped give strength to the wish. Just the wishes of Miya/Maya alone could not have given birth to the magic. But it was Maya who shaped the wish into destruction of the world and Miya who shaped it into restoration/guarding.

Last edited by Zeborg; 2016-03-13 at 22:48.
Old 2016-03-13, 22:49   Link #2494
Kadia

^This is my conjecture all right. I believe Miya deep down in her subconcious mind more or less wished to revenge on the world which ruined her life. She beared the same hatred with Maya so it could be deduced that Tat's power was originated from both Miya's and Maya's negative emotions.
Kadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 22:53   Link #2495
Zeborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadia View Post
^This is my conjecture all right. I believe Miya deep down in her subconcious mind more or less wished to revenge on the world which ruined her life. She beared the same hatred with Maya so it could be deduced that Tat's power was originated from both Miya's and Maya's negative emotions.
Well according to Maya, that isn't the case. It was actually her wish.

Quote:
“That’s why, it wasn’t a lie when I said I’m your mother. Because, the
one who wished for your birth wasn’t Nee-san. You were born to this
world by my desire. Mitsugu-san and the others were mistaken about
that. The one who wished for the world’s destruction is me, it’s my
prayer. You were born to answer my feelings. You’re biologically Neesan’s
son, but the one who wished for you to be the way you are as a
magician, was me. That’s why, as a magician, you are my son.”
But personally, as I said. I believe the power to restore came through Miya. Simply because it's hard to imagine where else it could have come from, if only Maya's prayers were able to shape his powers, Tatsuya most likely would have only been able to cast decomposition (destruction). Whereas restoration doesn't really fit into that frame.
Old 2016-03-13, 23:03   Link #2496
Kadia

It could go both ways as those dialogue is what Maya took in. No evidences or any other characters supported her deduction so i chose to believe as i said.

About regrowth don't forget Maya also wished to see Tatsuya accomplishing in protecting Miyuki against the threats the world might post to Miyuki, another way of her salvation. So regrowth could be part of Maya's wish too.
Kadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 23:16   Link #2497
Zeborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadia View Post
It could go both ways as those dialogue is what Maya took in. No evidences or any other characters supported her deduction so i chose to believe as i said.

About regrowth don't forget Maya also wished to see Tatsuya accomplishing in protecting Miyuki against the threats the world might post to Miyuki, another way of her salvation. So regrowth could be part of Maya's wish too.
Well, that's why I said according to Maya. But I don't really see a reason for Maya to lie in any case. Especially with such emotion.

I don't think the actual wish had anything to do with protecting Miyuki though. I think the wish was destruction of the world, but Maya would be satisfied if Tatsuya manged to protect Miyuki from the world, because in a way she would, through Tatsuya, whom she considers her son be able to "defeat" the world. Not that it makes too much sense. I don't really remember there being anything that would indicate that Maya wished for a power to protect Miyuki, or whoever.
The other Yotsuba were wishing for an almighty guardian, not Maya.
Old 2016-03-13, 23:18   Link #2498
-Mahesvara_

After reading the spoilers from Masaki's diary, I feel like people who hopped on his hate train, need to re-evaluate their thoughts on his character after reading them.

He develops a close relationship between both Tatsuya and Miyuki, to the point that he plans on attending Magic University with Tatsuya and he even hangouts with the pair and can go on dates with Miyuki. Plus he isn't even trying to break the two up, as its stated he'll side with them opposed to the others like koichi who want them separated. Though he still loves Miyuki and isn't going to give up on her, he isn't forcing his way in between the two either, but even if he fails he still wants to be close friends.

I liked Masaki before, but he just earned a lot more respect after this arc.
-Mahesvara_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 23:18   Link #2499
amtro
Distro

The way I understood it, it was Miya's MI and the wishes of the entire family that made Tatsuya superpowered, but it was Maya's wish which corrupted it. Regrowth is in line with their outward wishes, but MB and decomposition comes from their inner grudges and wish for revenge. Maya ended up modeling Tatsuya's ability to be like hers, she too has decomposition, but no ES. She uses light as a visual aide. That is the reason why Phalanx does not work on her, as light can pass through it.
Old 2016-03-13, 23:32   Link #2500
TrueAlchemist

Quote:
What do you mean? It's in the translation.. Are you saying it's incorrect?

And, I think you're also mistaken about Miya/Maya. When Mitsugu is explaining it to Tatsuya, he doesn't actually himself know that the wish to destroy the world came from Maya, not Miya. So he mistakenly tells Tatsuya that Miya wished for the destruction of the world, when it's in fact Maya, as she tells it later on in the volume. Probably only Miya and Maya knew that. Mitsugu had no way of knowing that it was even possible that Maya could alter the MCA through Miya.

The way I see it is that everyone in the clan helped give strength to the wish. Just the wishes of Miya/Maya alone could not have given birth to the magic. But it was Maya who shaped the wish into destruction of the world and Miya who shaped it into restoration/guarding.
I don't know what they did with English translation, but Yotsuba Clan agreed on using mental interference magic on Tatsuya when he was only fetus, but other members of Yotsuba did not use any magic on Tatsuya. Supposedly, Miya was only one who used the magic. Members of Yotsuba often visited Maya when she was pregnant with Tatsuya, and some of them even prayed that Tatsuya would become a magician that can protect the clan's future generations. But, these prayer were not some kind of ritual. It was a simple prayer.

And, I am not mistaken with Miya and Maya. The book never told who is truly responsible. First, Mitsugu said, Miya was responsible, and he also said, the clan was also responsible for not truly understanding Miya and her true intention. Second, Maya claimed, she was responsible by using her sister's power. Miya never said a word about this, so nobody knows the truth, but if we look at the illustration of Miya, Maya, and baby Tatsuya, Miya and Maya look at Tatsuya with nearly the same scary look. It may indicate, both Miya and Maya wanted the same thing and were equally responsible. For this, readers would never know the truth unless the author upgrades Tatsuya and give him power to communicate with dead people or upgrade his ES and allow him to look into past. By the way, this discussion does not belong in this thread, so if you want to continue, you can message me, or we can discuss at the Yotsuba Inheritance thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mahesvara_ View Post
After reading the spoilers from Masaki's diary, I feel like people who hopped on his hate train, need to re-evaluate their thoughts on his character after reading them.

He develops a close relationship between both Tatsuya and Miyuki, to the point that he plans on attending Magic University with Tatsuya and he even hangouts with the pair and can go on dates with Miyuki. Plus he isn't even trying to break the two up, as its stated he'll side with them opposed to the others like koichi who want them separated. Though he still loves Miyuki and isn't going to give up on her, he isn't forcing his way in between the two either, but even if he fails he still wants to be close friends.

I liked Masaki before, but he just earned a lot more respect after this arc.
.................................................. ...........................................
He is weird~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~`

Tags
political intrigue