AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2018-03-01, 18:03   Link #221
kuromitsu

Nice and all but it makes me shake my head at the Reinhard & Kircheis casting even more. :/ I wonder what they'll do with the secondary main cast on both sides... (the ones who might get more than two lines of dialogue, heh)
Old 2018-03-01, 23:24   Link #222
AntonKutovoi

More cast members and designs:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...embers/.128453

None of the cast members would be my first choices, but they all could work, I guess,
Old 2018-03-02, 02:10   Link #223
kuromitsu

I mean, at least they gave Reuenthal to Nakamura as I had hoped, instead of Tomokazu or Nakai. But...

Quote:
Junichi Suwabe as Paul von Oberstein
This, as the very first one... as the very first one... I mean, Suwabe is a good actor when he puts his mind to it and the role is right, but this is not that role. This is about as tone-deaf as Umehara as Kircheis. (Hell, even the reverse would have worked better!) Why cast someone who is good at emoting and has a warm, expressive voice by nature, as someone who needs the exact opposite of that? I suppose Suwabe will do his best but this really should have gone to someone else.

I'm fine with:
Nakamura as Reuenthal - he was my hope for this role since Umehara had been taken, so I'm pretty fine with this. But they managed to ruin poor Reuenthal in other ways... *looks at that hair and weeps and weeps and weeps* Whose idea was that hair? Who do I have to punch?

Will be OK:
-OnoD as Mittermeier... I guess, why not? I would have preferred him as Attenborough or Poplin or Caselnes, though.
-Kaji... plays the shota again. But he'll be fine.
-Kawashima as Caselnes, sure, why not.

Why? Dear god, WHY?!:
-Suwabe as Oberstein
-Miki Shinichirou as Schönkopf - again, WHY? Why not at least Midorikawa Hikaru or something?! Hell, Miki Shinichirou would have been better as Oberstein!
... What's next, Ishida Akira as Wittenfeld?

Well, this will be interesting, seiyuu-wise. And who knows, maybe some of the cast will surprise me.

But to be honest I'm the most upset about Reuenthal's hair. Why did they have to do that?! (Also, what part of that color is "brown so dark it's almost black"?) I would have been OK with these designs, but then they went and ruined him.
Old 2018-03-02, 02:31   Link #224
AntonKutovoi

I don’t see any problem with Miki there. I can’t give you a link right now, but search Sanada Yukimura from Nioh on YouTube. I think he’ll use this voice.
Old 2018-03-02, 03:45   Link #225
kuromitsu

Oh, I know that voice, but I don't think that's a good voice for Schönkopf in particular. Miki is good and he'll do his best with the role but I don't think he was the right choice.

(I'm looking at Twitter comments btw, and lol'ing at the reactions to Reuenthal's design. Pretty much echo mine!)
Old 2018-03-14, 08:47   Link #226
AntonKutovoi

Frederica will be voices by Aya Endo. She should do a good job.
Old 2018-03-14, 12:52   Link #227
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Frederica looks almost completely different. I liked her OVA design but this isn't a bad change.
Old 2018-03-14, 16:54   Link #228
kuromitsu

Yeah, the design is nice, and Endou Aya will be fine. I'm more curious of who is going to voice Hilda, though. (Hilda is I think a much more fun role than Frederica, at least in the first half of the story.)
Old 2018-03-31, 18:35   Link #229
kuromitsu

Well, well, well... another one dropped early.

My thoughts...
Spoiler for episode 1 reactions:

In short: disappointing, but I expected that much based on the previews and whatnot. Will keep watching in hopes that it will improve, also I'm very curious to hear how Umehara handles Kircheis. (Also, is it just me or did they kind of tweak Kircheis' character design to make it fit his voice better? Probably just me...) But the show will have to prove itself to be a lot more ambitious than this if it wants me to like it and not watch it just because it's LoGH and I have to.
Old 2018-03-31, 19:00   Link #230
RDNexus

Like I said before, I totally welcome the current character design, more visually modern and appealing to me

This version of the story seems to be set to 24 episodes, actually. Don't forget the Season2 Movie Trilogy, with 4 episodes of content each.

I've seen the entire original/classic series, but I have to admit...being 110 episodes made me already forget a nice amount of content of the story.
But since I'm not inclined to compare this new series to the classic one, I have no problems with what may be coming up.

About your disappointment of the current version of the story...well, I can't quite comment on how people should feel about something they're a fan of, since I'm kind of a fan of stories like Sonic the Hedgehog and Dragon Ball, and still I see myself scratching my head over the current state of both stories
Old 2018-03-31, 19:13   Link #231
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
About your disappointment of the current version of the story...well, I can't quite comment on how people should feel about something they're a fan of, since I'm kind of a fan of stories like Sonic the Hedgehog and Dragon Ball, and still I see myself scratching my head over the current state of both stories
Just that we're on the same page... I'm disappointed because it's way too similar to the previous anime, instead of trying to do something interesting and new. It seems it's trying to play safe, but what's the point of doing a new adaptation if you just copy-paste what came before? The OVA is immensely huge shoes to fill, and if awkwardly aping it is all this new anime is capable of then that is immensely disappointing. (This is why I kept saying that the new adaptation should be as unlike the OVA as possible, and do its own thing with the novels. Alas...)

I mean... the visuals are just a somewhat touched-up version of the OVA visuals. The chara designs are bland and uninspired. The BGM is bland and uninspired. The voice acting is... not all bland and uninspired, but so far it seems they completely missed the mark with the main character himself. (Again. What is it with recent-ish adaptations of materials I love that they keep messing up the main characters? ) This is boring, and I think a boring LoGH is a much bigger sin than a LoGH that tries to be new and fresh and doesn't 100% succeed.

As for the story, thing is, the TV series will have 12 episodes as far as I'm aware so even if they plan to pick up the story in the movies they'll have to reach a stopping point in these 12 episodes. And they just wasted an entire episode.

That first minute was pretty awesome, though. Perhaps unintentionally, but I hope it wasn't a single flash of greatness in a sea of meh, but a sign of what is ahead. (I'm optimistic, dammit! I'm going to try and be positive about this damn show. ...not that it worked last time, with Altair. )
Closed Thread