AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-05-06, 13:45   Link #221
Narutto Kyuubi

I hope they are just checking and not waiting for a bakasan script to edit. I really really need my Naruto fix!!!! Bakasan!!!! We need your Super Ultra Mega Phonomenally Speedy accurately subed with good quality Fans Subs of naruto or WE wILL DIE!!

well maybe not die, cuase then we would never see the end of the series BUT I am sure no hardcore fan of naruto is geting any work done between tuesday night when it airs and now becuase we are constently checking to see if the new epsode is out yet!!!
Narutto Kyuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 15:45   Link #222
Mukki

Send a message via AIM to Mukki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd
Yeah I've rewatched the scene and noticed the error already. I didn't hear anything wrong when I checked the translation before, heh.

btw, "yo" is a way to put emphasis I guess. It works kinda like a "!" in a way, only it's said.. err, I'm not making any sense, this is why I'm no teacher because I suck at teaching what I know :P
Well, according to my Japanese teacher, Suzuki-sensei, 'yo' is basically a way of emphasizing the fact that you are informing the listener of something they were not aware of, so yeah. I'm also pretty sure that sometimes it can sound rude.
Mukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 16:20   Link #223
Narutto Kyuubi

It's looking more and more like Friday morning or the weekend before any sub comes out.... Grr the agony, I want to watch this episode so much, I considered the RAW but like veryone else I dont know japanese so I would lose th enjoyment by about 60% cuase I'd be like "what do he say?" and "Why did he do that?"

Please Bakasan sub for us again! You are our Quick Fix Hook up!
Narutto Kyuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 18:40   Link #224
Saiyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shogun
I wouldn't mind the idea of a thread per group at all. I would like it if there was someway that each group can mod their thread though so you can delete the spam posts like "you sux" or something like that.

@Saiyr - We focus on both quality and speed. As khar said we focus on quality without sacrificing speed. Anyway 81 was the only episode we heard anything negative about our translation. As was stated we had a new translator for 81. Just so you know you can laugh all you want. This will be my last post regarding Shin Otaku in relation to this thread. If anyone has has an helpful feedback then you can bring it up in our chatroom on irc.rizon.net #shin-otaku.

Dark Shogun
You don't focus on both quality and speed, not from what I've seen. I've been downloading your subs since I've seen them. There really isn't such a thing as focusing on quality AND speed, not that I've seen. My opinion might change (or it might not, depending on whether ot not I'll download your 82), but it probably really won't. Even if it's "in the middle," it's always better to specialize in your job. Obviously this means either or, not both. So why am I poking fun at the errors I see? It's because I did this regarding BakaSan when his first releases came out. They got better, better than yours currently are.

Since Dark Shogun has established that he won't be posting anymore, neither will I. I wasn't meaning to "hurt anybody's feelings," but I'm always blunt. Take it in stride and get better, and perhaps I'll change my mind. As you can see, I'm already starting to lurk in your channel to see just how much you can change.
Saiyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 20:45   Link #225
Shino~
The Legendary Perv Genin

some dude told me to post here grrr..... so has bakasan completely stopped fansubbing? or is ep82 late cause of the late and poor quality of the first raw?
Shino~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 22:06   Link #226
Kidd
SD Translator

Send a message via ICQ to Kidd Send a message via AIM to Kidd Send a message via MSN to Kidd Send a message via Yahoo to Kidd
Encoding is now finished as we speak. It's being put out to distro team and 82 will be avaliable for download soon enough. I hope this will be the end of the "you steal bakasan's script" and all those rumours. We've done lots of new stuff for this episode, not to mention a whole heck more of qc and me looking over the episode more than just one more extra time to make sure the translation is good.

Sadly this is my translation and my translation alone, Eddie who have been working with me on 80 and 81 is nowhere to be seen. Once again I need to put that the reason the sub of 81 was really lacking is because I think Eddie just went over a single pass on it (I don't know this person's skills that well, but I do know he's above what you saw in episode 81 due to the small chats we've had) and was expecting me to help him translate as much as I did in 80. Of course, since I was so super busy last week I couldn't and just skimmed through 81, and you saw the result of that...

This week has recieved a treatment very very very unlike last week's, and I have a feeling this is the way we'll continue to work in the future. It's not even close to bakasan speed, but what we're hoping is at least getting bakasan quality on our subs, heh heh.

I actually hope bakasan downloads this episode of ours and sees for himself that while his words might not have been the nicest put, they did work on us and I have worked as hard on this ep as I have in the past, if not even harder due to doing it all alone.

But hey I'm ranting and one could say it's even in the wrong thread so hey I'm clicking Post now and I hope nobody minds..
Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 22:33   Link #227
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd
Encoding is now finished as we speak. It's being put out to distro team and 82 will be avaliable for download soon enough. I hope this will be the end of the "you steal bakasan's script" and all those rumours. We've done lots of new stuff for this episode, not to mention a whole heck more of qc and me looking over the episode more than just one more extra time to make sure the translation is good.

Sadly this is my translation and my translation alone, Eddie who have been working with me on 80 and 81 is nowhere to be seen. Once again I need to put that the reason the sub of 81 was really lacking is because I think Eddie just went over a single pass on it (I don't know this person's skills that well, but I do know he's above what you saw in episode 81 due to the small chats we've had) and was expecting me to help him translate as much as I did in 80. Of course, since I was so super busy last week I couldn't and just skimmed through 81, and you saw the result of that...

This week has recieved a treatment very very very unlike last week's, and I have a feeling this is the way we'll continue to work in the future. It's not even close to bakasan speed, but what we're hoping is at least getting bakasan quality on our subs, heh heh.

I actually hope bakasan downloads this episode of ours and sees for himself that while his words might not have been the nicest put, they did work on us and I have worked as hard on this ep as I have in the past, if not even harder due to doing it all alone.

But hey I'm ranting and one could say it's even in the wrong thread so hey I'm clicking Post now and I hope nobody minds..
Well i said i would never download you guys fansub anymore, but i will download this one. If its another screw up...
Old 2004-05-07, 02:55   Link #228
me=D
mister smillie

how many eps did he do?

im just wondering how many eps baka san did for naruto. what ep did he start at?
me=D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 03:29   Link #229
Kidd
SD Translator

Send a message via ICQ to Kidd Send a message via AIM to Kidd Send a message via MSN to Kidd Send a message via Yahoo to Kidd
I'm pretty certain his subs were around when I started watching Naruto, so at least since the early 60s. From what I've heard it was around 45.
Old 2004-05-07, 03:30   Link #230
ubb

Although I have said that which series a group picks up is the group's choice and not by the fans, subbing something that is already subbed because you're an attention whore is what I call a disgrace to the fansubbing community. I can't say for sure that shin-otaku didn't fansub just so they can hit 100k d/l on just one of their torrent, but it'd take a convincing story to make me believe that S-O didn't pick up naruto instead of hundreds of other series out there to get attention.
ubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 03:58   Link #231
Khar
Shin-Otaku Editor

Send a message via AIM to Khar
We picked Naruto up because it was a series we all loved and knew it would give us good practise at subbing. We're new, remember. We plan on doing other series and are working on some currently in fact.

As for those that seem to think every single release of ours is crap, I invite you to download 82. Hopefully you'll notice an improvement, and that improvement is exactly what we're aiming for currently.

As far as previous editing goes, yes, there were a lot of typoes. I was stupid and didn't run a spell check after editing. Blame me for that. As far as last week's translation goes, sure, we were off. Now I know we were (before I was unsure, not having spoken to our translators on the matter), and I understand why you may be hesitant to try us again. But like I said before, the choice is yours. People either seem to really hate us or really like us. But however you look at us, the least you can do is respect what we do and what we're here for.
Khar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 13:05   Link #232
yen1703

I just read through this entire thread.

If it hasn't been done yet, I would like to add my vote to the suggestion that Shin Otaku release a second version for Ep. 81 and put down the first version in the mean time.

This would be a good thing to do for the following reasons:

1. People (most of them - newbies) will download the file. I was one of them & it also happened to be the first fansub by Shin Otaku that I've seen. I felt... (for lack of a better term) wronged. Others will feel the same way when they find out about the errors. It's not a good impression of Shin Otaku's fansubs. In my case, it wasn't a favorable first impression.

2. It only takes one word wrongly translated (or misunderstood) to start arguments which wouldn't happen in the first place if the translation hadn't been wrong. Fanfics & fanarts may hinge on one single event in the manga or anime. If that event had been incorrectly translated & never corrected, the mistake is likely to keep on perpetuating throughout the fandom.

3. Aside from the errors in Orochimaru & Kabuto's conversation, Ep. 81 (Shin Otaku's fansub) INCORRECTLY hinted that Kakashi & Sasuke's relationship is similar to Kakashi's relationship with Obito (Kakashi's dead best friend). Fanboys may not get the implication or it will take them time, but it screams "yaoi" to fangirls. There are more errors, but the Kakashi-Obito error stuck out the most for me.

I understand that it is human nature to err but it is best for everyone to minimize the repercussions of the mistake.
yen1703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 13:54   Link #233
Kidd
SD Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubb
I can't say for sure that shin-otaku didn't fansub just so they can hit 100k d/l on just one of their torrent, but it'd take a convincing story to make me believe that S-O didn't pick up naruto instead of hundreds of other series out there to get attention.
Actually, like Khar said, we do Naruto just because all of us like this series a lot. And there's also a second reason, a pretty lame reason. Starting this group in the first place was pretty much an impulse from us, we all were like "hey, why not?" and started. So why was it Naruto we started with? Simply because voxvam had been training his timing skills on a random episode which happened to be Naruto 76. Nobody really questioned anything, we just kept on doing Naruto xD

If any of you S-O people don't agree with me sharing that info (I don't see what damage it could do, heh), message me :P I'm sharing url immedietly as I post into our chatroom, heh heh.
Old 2004-05-07, 20:49   Link #234
Khar
Shin-Otaku Editor

lol it's fine. It is what happened really. He was messing with timing and the rest of us were just like "omg Naruto" so yeah... it just clicked. >_>

2nd version of 81... I won't speak for everyone in the group, but I believe we're leaning toward releasing a second version at this point. It seems a little late for that, in my opinion... but I guess it would be best.
Old 2004-05-07, 21:38   Link #235
yen1703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khar
lol it's fine. It is what happened really. He was messing with timing and the rest of us were just like "omg Naruto" so yeah... it just clicked. >_>

2nd version of 81... I won't speak for everyone in the group, but I believe we're leaning toward releasing a second version at this point. It seems a little late for that, in my opinion... but I guess it would be best.
It's never too late to correct mistakes.

Think about it this way --- the ep 81 is still causing misunderstandings even as we discuss this. Last time I saw, there were more than 100 people downloading it.

That's a possible 100+ fans who may be upset when they compare it to the Anbu-AnimeOne Ep 81 release OR they find out about the complaints of Shin Otaku Ep 81.

Please make Shin Otaku Ep 81 unavailable for downloading until version 2 is available.

If you want, I can list exactly where the translation went wrong. I'm not as concerned with the timing and such BUT the meaning of the translation is very important. Seriously. I can let spelling, grammar & punctuation mistakes go by but errors in what the dialogues actually mean is simply not good at all.

Imagine this happening: Someone got inspired by Ep 81 & proceeds to do a fanart, a fancomic or a fanfic. But unfortunately, what they were inspired by wasn't correctly translated. He or she only finds out after considerable work was done on the fanwork after being informed by reviewers who know about the translation errors.

The process of translating is practically the foundation for any non-original language fandoms. If there are mistakes in translating, especially in the meaning of the words, please do whatever damage control is possible.

And... uhm... keeping an incorrectly translated version available for download while a more correct version is available is more a matter of pride than a matter of making English translated anime more widely available.

It's probably painful to take down the ep but Anbu-AnimeOne's 81 is available. Also, taking down the ep will limit future problems. I really do not want more people to be incorrectly informed. Actual wars have started over inaccurate information & misunderstandings. I do not find it surprising that flame wars started because of the incorrect translation of episode 81.

I think Bakasan had a right to be upset of Shin Otaku's 81. I understand his position because I wasn't happy either when I saw the ep.

Take a look at this mistake.

Balik? (he's the jounin sensei of Gaara & co.) said something like Damn that Orochimaru. Cursed that Orochimaru. Etc. He was cursing Orochimaru. A very short curse.

The subtitle said, "Orochimaru. Hokage."

><;;;

Last edited by yen1703; 2004-05-07 at 23:04.
Old 2004-05-08, 06:42   Link #236
Khar
Shin-Otaku Editor

We're going to rerelease. Should be within a day or two, I'm not sure exactly on the time frame.
Old 2004-05-08, 07:28   Link #237
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Yeah, rereleasing is a great idea if you want to keepy your fans. I appreciate what you're doing a lot as fansubbers and can't wait to see what series you do later on -- but as others above have said, it's very important to get the dialogue right. Anyway, I'm glad you're rereleasing
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 11:28   Link #238
yen1703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khar
We're going to rerelease. Should be within a day or two, I'm not sure exactly on the time frame.
I'm very glad to hear that. Thank you really so very much. I am sorry for the nitpicking but I hope you understand without any hard feelings why I had to do it.
Old 2004-05-08, 21:07   Link #239
Kidd
SD Translator

About Bakasan's site... for all those who journey there and find the Naruto 82 torrent; don't be bothered to download it, it's a joke from his part. I was thinking he was back but apparantly he re-released his 81 and slabbed the name for 82 on it, also the torrent comment mentions it being a joke (though the comment is worded so that it might've been a joke that he was quitting... obviously on purpose).

Just thought I'd let you all know so you don't download his episode in vain...
Old 2004-05-08, 23:35   Link #240
Eikichi
Mad Dog Sawamura

I didn't download the pseudo ep82, as it was pointed out here and among other places to be a fake:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=13257

I don't understand Bakasan's motive. If it's a joke, it's a joke at the expense of his audience/fans of his work.

Haha. Funny.
Eikichi is offline   Reply With Quote