AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2013-10-08, 13:05   Link #221
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
So.... its kinda brutal or realistic in the novel version.

I think the anime tone it down to make it more game like which I blame SAO for it.
I suspect the anime toning it down has less to do with making it more game like and SAO, and more to do with censorship and ease of animation. Having monsters collapse in a bloody mess is much harder to animate, and much more objectionable compared to just having them vanish in a flash of light.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 15:59   Link #222
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
So.... its kinda brutal or realistic in the novel version.

I think the anime tone it down to make it more game like which I blame SAO for it
I'm sure the fact this s running in the afternoon on NHK-E (a channel aimed at kids/teens) instead of late night has more to do with it.
Old 2013-10-08, 18:12   Link #223
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And alternative world with menus and inventories.
Kyoukai senjou and accel world had menus and I'm not sure if items will fall if carcasses was left behind. maybe you will even have to scavenge the body to even get the item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
I suspect the anime toning it down has less to do with making it more game like and SAO, and more to do with censorship and ease of animation. Having monsters collapse in a bloody mess is much harder to animate, and much more objectionable compared to just having them vanish in a flash of light.
True, censorship and its aired in NHK but its kinda sad that they tone it down. A little difference maybe for others but that info gives a more realistic approach to what happen to them.

Because its really bizarre when the game your playing on your PC turns into your own world.
Old 2013-10-09, 04:01   Link #224
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Mmmm, if you mean brutal as in Berserk or GoT kind of brutal, then not so.

Realistic, then yes. Mobs and people when killed will spill blood and stay as corpses first before dissolving into particles and then vanish (burial services must be unheard of over there...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'm sure the fact this s running in the afternoon on NHK-E (a channel aimed at kids/teens) instead of late night has more to do with it.
My sentiments exactly.

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 04:10   Link #225
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Kyoukai senjou and accel world had menus and I'm not sure if items will fall if carcasses was left behind. maybe you will even have to scavenge the body to even get the item.
I don't know about Kyoukai Senjou, but Accel World was not a parallel dimension, but simply a virtual reality created by using the data from surveillance camera in order to rebuild a 3D copy of reality. You'd be surprised to know that this is, in fact, partly possible already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bytI...has_verified=1

The part that we can't do is all the "jack directly into someone's central nervous system, override his senses and possibly alter his base cerebral waves so that his perception of time is increased".

Honestly, I can understand how there's some "magic" in Log Horizon, but this is only supposed to be the game that has become real, to me. The parallel dimension theory is more similar to what happened in Ixion Saga DT, where in fact the protagonist found himself in a fantasy world with otherwise no indication that it was a videogame.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 06:04   Link #226
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

I'm liking that there is some guild dynamics going on here. It's the whole friendship and bonds developed in "adventuring" in an MMO that keeps me playing and investing a lot in it, hence these types of show (including SAO) appealed to me.

Still sucks that the food is bland. The devs/magic world creators should have programmed some in for incentives.

As for the censorship and toning down of gore, I don't personally mind. I'd rather see how the characters develop over time.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 06:30   Link #227
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I don't know about Kyoukai Senjou, but Accel World was not a parallel dimension, but simply a virtual reality created by using the data from surveillance camera in order to rebuild a 3D copy of reality. You'd be surprised to know that this is, in fact, partly possible already:
I'm pointing out the menus and items in holograph aren't that rare and not the alternate world thing. Accel World is futuristic world so its possible for it already.

As for Log Horizon, it can be alternate world with futuristic and fantasy setting combine.

Naotsugu even comment that this event only happen in fantasy novel

For me the turning down of gore is more like change of realistic appeal of their situation. They are taking it that they are in elder tale. The game that they are playing but that is at first but for Shiroe. He said that this is our reality. So to them its their real world(for the time being)
Old 2013-10-09, 06:31   Link #228
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Preview shots for episode 2: http://www.nhk.or.jp/anime-blog/0120/169563.html

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 07:34   Link #229
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
I'm pointing out the menus and items in holograph aren't that rare and not the alternate world thing. Accel World is futuristic world so its possible for it already.

As for Log Horizon, it can be alternate world with futuristic and fantasy setting combine.
My point was that in Accel World everything makes sense given the technology they have. The menus needn't even be holographic - when they are in the Accel World, EVERYTHING is VR, just like it was in SAO, so anything can appear at any time and it still makes sense.
On the other hand, in Log Horizon, no holographic device explaining the menus in-world has been introduced, and it would make no sense to need an external holographic device to control your own body and actions, so I'd assume they're simply game interface. Well, nothing forbids an alternate world from having weird natural laws that allow for menus to pop out of thin air, it's just that usually when one thinks of an alternate world thinks of something reasonably assembling a "reality", without all the limits that games have only because of programming needs.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 12:15   Link #230
Puu

I hope as the series progresses, comparisons it to Accel World/SAO will lessen. I mean, I know you guys liked those shows but at the end of the day, this is Log Horizon. Let's talk about what to look forward to and not nitpick it just because so and so is more realistic.

It's been one episode, we don't even know how these people got inside Elder Tale. And it doesn't seem like they even have mainstream VR technology yet considering they have problems fighting in first person. It's safe to assume then that, for now, ~magic~ is involved in some form or another. The interface may be a way for whoever was responsible for it to give the players a fighting chance.
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 12:18   Link #231
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puu View Post
I hope as the series progresses, comparisons it to Accel World/SAO will lessen. I mean, I know you guys liked those shows but at the end of the day, this is Log Horizon. Let's talk about what to look forward to and not nitpick it just because so and so is more realistic.
they should all be compare to Captain N
Old 2013-10-09, 12:26   Link #232
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
they should all be compare to Captain N
Wow. I never saw that show! Anyway, I just think comparisons with Accel World/SAO just seem to come out with.... I don't know, more hostility? I don't really see people complaining that Log Horizon is a rip off of .hack//SIGN/roots.

Though, maybe my opinions are colored by some posts I've seen on tumblr for this show.

Anyway, I know someone mentioned this is shown in the afternoons and is geared for youths/teens. I'm okay with this even if it means lessening the 'realism' that some people have said is in the novels. That means, maybe, less chances of there being too much fanservice....
Old 2013-10-09, 13:07   Link #233
Dark Wing

Quote:
Anyway, I know someone mentioned this is shown in the afternoons and is geared for youths/teens. I'm okay with this even if it means lessening the 'realism' that some people have said is in the novels. That means, maybe, less chances of there being too much fanservice....
Also means less blood and violence but this being Japanese television I can rest easy knowing that character deaths won't be glossed over as much.
Old 2013-10-09, 16:38   Link #234
tsunade666

Quote:
That means, maybe, less chances of there being too much fanservice....
I don't think this type of show is for fan service. The feel I get and the characters that shows up in the op doesn't give fan service feel. There is only 2 characters in op that might be for fan service but its more like for moe feel. The miko girl and akatsuki. So I don't think you will be having fan service problem

its not like its maouyuu(the author's previews work) where there would be lots of meat problem. And even in maouyuu fan service isn't much of a problem.
Old 2013-10-09, 19:41   Link #235
Dark Wing

Here's an interesting thought. Why can't we have a series about people in a MMO that isn’t some kind of hostage situation?

You know a story about characters’ lives both online and off.
Old 2013-10-09, 19:53   Link #236
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Here's an interesting thought. Why can't we have a series about people in a MMO that isn’t some kind of hostage situation?

This is kind of what I see in Log Horizon that has potential. It's still that hostage situation, but it's not so overly dramatic (yet) like SAO, or .Hack, or Accel World.

Log Horizon is very average in my eyes, but I do think it has some promise. If it manages to be interesting and it manages to hold on to its more nonchalant tone that it has, I could see myself finishing it. It's nice to see a series that breaks that overly-dramatic mold that this "trapped in the video game world" is guilty of. Though I could be wrong, and Log Horizon could bust right into taking itself too seriously

Also, for all my confusion over Akatsuki's age and height, she's surprisingly adorable.
Old 2013-10-09, 22:15   Link #237
Puu

Quote:

Isn't that what .hack is already, especially .hack//SIGN? Not all of the characters were "hostages", if I remember right.

Though, I guess, you could also mean you just want a K-On: MMORPG show.... (which would probably be cute, come to think of it). Now I need this show....

THE MMORPG CLUB! Join and we'll throw in a a special item We also have cake after dungeon crawling
Old 2013-10-09, 22:18   Link #238
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Isn't that what .hack is already, especially .hack//SIGN? Not all of the characters were "hostages", if I remember right.

Though, I guess, you could also mean you just want a K-On: MMORPG show.... (which would probably be cute, come to think of it). Now I need this show....

THE MMORPG CLUB! Join and we'll throw in a a special item We also have cake after dungeon crawling
Typical .Hack is extreme drama. Life or death mystery with no happy ending drama, drama, drama. It didn't help that Ali Project did the music either.
Old 2013-10-09, 22:25   Link #239
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Typical .Hack is extreme drama. Life or death mystery with no happy ending drama, drama, drama. It didn't help that Ali Project did the music either.
True that. I, myself, preferred the videogames more. .hack//SIGN was supposed to be good, though, dramatic as it was but it was more a character study kind of show. .hack//roots.... was by Beetrain.

Beetrain is like boring.

Anyway, I hope Log Horizon gets it right for me. I don't need it to be too action-packed... just, I'd like to see more gaming stuff in it... like having a party that's a bit more like how parties in RL work.

Come to think of it, the classes so far remind me of Guild Wars... though I guess Elder Tale is more like WoW... especially that expansion. It's pretty much the Cataclysm expansion.......
Old 2013-10-09, 22:34   Link #240
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:

I just started reading the Korean LN "The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor" and it's nice to see such a plot weaved out. It has both in-game and Real Life settings that are engaging. At the same time though it helped me develop more appreciation for support classes LOL.

I do hope Log Horizon will have more of a focus on the adventuring aspect of the fantasy genre.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, nyanderful, science fiction, seinen, shounen