Old 2014-08-05, 19:53   Link #221
Jirachier

Spoiler for my thoughts:
Old 2014-08-05, 19:56   Link #222
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
Spoiler for my thoughts:
Maybe you don't know, but his skill only affects his stats. Levels only go up when you do something pleasing to the gods like beating a monster stronger than you, which is easier said than done. Bell cleared this requirement in volume 3.

Volume 2 is widely acknowledged to be the most uninteresting volume of all.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-05, 20:01   Link #223
Jirachier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Maybe you don't know, but his skill only affects his stats. Levels only go up when you do something pleasing to the gods like beating a monster stronger than you, which is easier said than done. Bell cleared this requirement in volume 3.

Volume 2 is widely acknowledged to be the most uninteresting volume of all.
I do realize that a level up is only achieved then, but it doesn't change the fact that it is really slow for a reader, if this speed is kept then he will only reach level 6 by volume 15.
Old 2014-08-05, 20:30   Link #224
bakato

Quote:
I do realize that a level up is only achieved then, but it doesn't change the fact that it is really slow for a reader, if this speed is kept then he will only reach level 6 by volume 15.
Ah, but you forget one thing. the thing about leveling up requiring you to kill a monster stronger than you is a bit of a conundrum. The stronger the monster, usually the stronger you need to be to kill it and the stronger you become the stronger the monster you kill has to be. In Bell's case, his special skill, Argonaut, which is a charge skill, effectively allows him to beat monsters way stronger than his stats would allow him to face if applied correctly. In fact, in the latest volume, beating Goliath would have gotten him to level 3 if his stats hadn't been too low at the time. So we could see him leveling up faster in future volumes.
Old 2014-08-06, 12:13   Link #225
Gun_Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
The stronger the monster, usually the stronger you need to be to kill it and the stronger you become the stronger the monster you kill has to be.
And that's why they usually hunt in parties ...
Bell as a Solo is the exception.
Gun_Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-06, 15:59   Link #226
senjiro
ecchi sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_Seraph View Post
And that's why they usually hunt in parties ...
Bell as a Solo is the exception.
Well he is not slo anymore he has lili

Lol ais is a hell trainer(also a airhead)
Hestia reáction is so funny,... best girl spotted *hestia*
Well the things moving on a little, i think cliffhanger in vol.2 is minotaur fight, right?
And bell yandere radar work so fine he notice earlier freya is drooling him...
Mari the pityfull witch
senjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 01:35   Link #227
Kunagisa

Quote:
the actual growth that happens per volume is REALLY low after volume 1
Base on a chart made by way more dedicated fans than me from 2ch, it took him 15 days to get his first skill, leveled up to 2 within 24 days, and killed Goliath after 22 days. His speed already is already stupid fast; in fact, any faster he'll be too broken (depends on your perspective, you can argue he already is). For the sake of comparison, the highest level person is 32 years old Level 7, Bell is only 14 years old.

I enjoy the book cause of the hotblooded fights. There are many other LNs that involves a curb-stomping protagonist, I hope this book will not the case. Base on what I read from 2ch and elsewhere, most readers agree as they didn't like LUCK nor Argonaut due to how overpower these ability and skill seem to imply at introduction.

Quote:
I don't see this as a story with a plot that could span more than maybe 12-13 volumes
On the contrary, I don't see this ending any less than 15 for both monetary and plot purposes.

1) GA is a very young light novel label compared to establish ones. Every label needs signature titles, for example:
  • Fujimi Shobo = Slayers, Orphen, Full Metal Panic
  • Dengeki = Index, SAO, Shana
  • Sneakers = Lodoss, Haruhi
  • and to lesser degree, for MF J (younger than the 3 above as well) = Zero no Tsukaima, Haganai
The common thing among all these novels besides selling ridiculous well is they are all really long series; with the exception of Haruhi, all have over 20 books at least. DanMachi is GA's first grand award and currently is the only series that can compete with the other bunko labels (Polyphonica is GA's only other "long", successful one, but that one's situation is a lot more complicated); even the side story Oratoria, which is significantly less popular (if not outright hated), sells better than any of the other new series that GA pushes out. Unless Omori can't write anymore, seems likely GA will milk this title for a while. DanMachi is also the only current successful GA title that doesn't rely on fanservice baits for purchase (ex), though I'm not saying baits are bad *ahem*, this is just a testament to the faith the publisher has in this series (that or Yasuda just suck at drawing prpr pictures).

2) Plot reason. We literally don't even know what the main plot is. If just for the sake of adventuring, going conservatively with 3 volume per arc (upper, middle, lower, deep, front line) you can already map out 15 volumes, which once again, doesn't include Oratoria.

I personally don't want this to end so soon, it's been bloody long since I've read a LN with spell incantations. Slayer's Giga Slave is still the coolest spell to date for me even after ignoring the nostalgia factor. I don't care if you guys think the animation's outdated! A spell is not a proper spell without long, LONG incantations! (´・ω・`)フムフム.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 04:29   Link #228
Jirachier

Quote:
Base on a chart made by way more dedicated fans than me from 2ch, it took him 15 days to get his first skill, leveled up to 2 within 24 days, and killed Goliath after 22 days. His speed already is already stupid fast; in fact, any faster he'll be too broken (depends on your perspective, you can argue he already is). For the sake of comparison, the highest level person is 32 years old Level 7, Bell is only 14 years old.
Yes his growth speed is extremely fast, but what I was talking about is the volume's speed. If someone can grow up fast in a short while but you only recount the events of a few days per volume then that will be negated.

Quote:
I enjoy the book cause of the hotblooded fights. There are many other LNs that involves a curb-stomping protagonist, I hope this book will not the case. Base on what I read from 2ch and elsewhere, most readers agree as they didn't like LUCK nor Argonaut due to how overpower these ability and skill seem to imply at introduction.
I enjoy hotblooded fights as much as the next guy, but I also want the occasional curb-stomping from the protagonist. Keep in mind that this series is about exploring a dungeon so regardless of how powerful you get you'll still find a proper opponent as you go down, the curb-stomping will only happen against weaker adventurers and monsters that spawn in earlier floors. Plus, unlike volume one where he was very reckless and just went into the dungeon to defeat monsters to grow quickly and had difficult fights, he's very careful now and we only get like fight of the sort per volume.

Quote:
1) GA is a very young light novel label compared to establish ones. Every label needs signature titles, for example:

Fujimi Shobo = Slayers, Orphen, Full Metal Panic
Dengeki = Index, SAO, Shana
Sneakers = Lodoss, Haruhi
and to lesser degree, for MF J (younger than the 3 above as well) = Zero no Tsukaima, Haganai

The common thing among all these novels besides selling ridiculous well is they are all really long series; with the exception of Haruhi, all have over 20 books at least. DanMachi is GA's first grand award and currently is the only series that can compete with the other bunko labels (Polyphonica is GA's only other "long", successful one, but that one's situation is a lot more complicated); even the side story Oratoria, which is significantly less popular (if not outright hated), sells better than any of the other new series that GA pushes out. Unless Omori can't write anymore, seems likely GA will milk this title for a while. DanMachi is also the only current successful GA title that doesn't rely on fanservice baits for purchase (ex), though I'm not saying baits are bad *ahem*, this is just a testament to the faith the publisher has in this series (that or Yasuda just suck at drawing prpr pictures).
Even if you try to milk a series, it's just not possible with all of them. DunMachi doesn't have a massive plot with overarching plot and a large set of characters. It's just Bell going into the dungeon and fighting monsters, with the occasional interference from Freya and the like. Once he reaches the same level as the other top adventurers(if you're saying he will only do after 20 volumes then..ugh) it's clear that the story will go into its final stage and end in a volume or two.

Quote:
I personally don't want this to end so soon, it's been bloody long since I've read a LN with spell incantations. Slayer's Giga Slave is still the coolest spell to date for me even after ignoring the nostalgia factor. I don't care if you guys think the animation's outdated! A spell is not a proper spell without long, LONG incantations! (´・ω・`)フムフム.
I like this LN too, but to want it to be stalled for ages when it doesn't have enough material for that will just make it boring, there are a few parts in each volume that honestly serve little purpose, especially volume 2.
As for his long incantation, then yes I do hate it, a spell that requires a long time to be cast is pretty annoying and if he didn't have his Fire Bolt magic I'd be way more irritated by this fact. If you want to put restrictions on a magic just make it consume more energy rather than give it a long charging process.

One of my biggest fear in this series is the same thing that happens when a protagonist has an unusually fast growth rate, and that is what I like to call the Ichigo effect(I don't know if the trope has any official name, sorry). Basically you have a protagonist that JUST got introduced into a new world, a world where the progression speed of everyone else up until the point where the protagonist appeared was normal and steady. But just because the protagonist started getting stronger quite fast which in most cases is easily justifiable by him being insanely talented(unlike the rest, while he had such an amazing talent he never trained before, so there is no inconsistency with his pace if it's been this fast from the moment he started training), everyone that is aroun him gets a massive in growth speed for absolutely no reason(just look at the shinigamis from Bleach, you spend centuries to get to a certain level of strength, then in the span of a few months after Ichigo's appearance your strength doubles, logic ?). So yeah, I'm hoping the other top adventurers don't start jumping through levels, and more importantly please don't introduce ANY rival, I despise rivals with everything that I have.
Old 2014-08-07, 12:52   Link #229
Kunagisa

Quote:
Yes his growth speed is extremely fast, but what I was talking about is the volume's speed. If someone can grow up fast in a short while but you only recount the events of a few days per volume then that will be negated.
Except this is unreasonable in the context of the story because experience required to level continue to increase non-linearly, which is the opposite trend of what you want (more growth/volume). The following could happen:
  • Lots of time skipping (= poor narrative)
  • Have the author retcon his work (...)
  • Add more OP skill (might work if handle correctly, but screams convenience writing that cause so many people despise Light Novels as a media)
  • Increase book length per volume (not easily allowed by editors)
Quote:
I enjoy hotblooded fights as much as the next guy, but I also want the occasional curb-stomping from the protagonist.
One of my biggest fear in this series is the same thing that happens when a protagonist has an unusually fast growth rate, and that is what I like to call the Ichigo effect
This seems to me that you want a full curb-stomping instead, which is why you don't like power creeping because that usually reset the balance. Without rival, the main character will literally make rest of the cast obsolete or pointless (maybe except the trophy wife romantic interest). Bell is already blowing holes through monsters way beyond his level and you still want him to go faster and not letting the other catch up. While this is already happening, but, once again, I don't think the majority of the readers want to see his teammates get left behind or become useless.

Rest assure though, power creep cannot happen in this series, unless retcon happens.

Quote:
Even if you try to milk a series, it's just not possible with all of them.
Find me one new (within the last five years, which is very lenient) Light Novel title that hasn't been animated/adapted to LA, not by previously established authors, and has a higher sale than DanMachi's volume 5. Also, DanMachi's sale has been continually increasing per volume as well, lack of an over-arching plot is clearly a non-issue.

Quote:
I like this LN too, but to want it to be stalled for ages when it doesn't have enough material for that will just make it boring, there are a few parts in each volume that honestly serve little purpose, especially volume 2.
I can partially agree on this. I stopped after 2 for a really long time before continuing, well I didn't until I saw the Kono LN's ranking. Volume 4 is stalling too, but I would not say most of those details boring and serve little purposes.

tl;dr: Overall, I think you and I just have very different expectations and demands from this series due to literally opposite personal preferences, which is somewhat refreshing as I haven't met someone whom I almost completely disagree with but ends up liking the same story. Selfishly, I hope the story continues according my taste, as this is the only new light novel that I'm actively following besides mystery/sci-fi titles.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 13:39   Link #230
Jirachier

Quote:
Except this is unreasonable in the context of the story because experience required to level continue to increase non-linearly, which is the opposite trend of what you want (more growth/volume). The following could happen:

Lots of time skipping (= poor narrative)
Have the author retcon his work (...)
Add more OP skill (might work if handle correctly, but screams convenience writing that cause so many people despise Light Novels as a media)
Increase book length per volume (not easily allowed by editors)

Time skipping wouldn't really be a problem here, what really matters is not skipping important events and things that happen, but if for example he spent a week without anything of value happening then it's okay to just skip it and say he grinded. Also it might me just me but it seems to me like he's doing less and less grinding per volume as time goes on, just compare how many times his status infos were shown in volume 1 with the latter volumes. If I recall, even at the end of volume 2 we didn't see what his stats were, which is one of the things I enjoy seeing.

Quote:
This seems to me that you want a full curb-stomping instead, which is why you don't like power creeping because that usually reset the balance. Without rival, the main character will literally make rest of the cast obsolete or pointless (maybe except the trophy wife romantic interest). Bell is already blowing holes through monsters way beyond his level and you still want him to go faster and not letting the other catch up. While this is already happening, but, once again, I don't think the majority of the readers want to see his teammates get left behind or become useless.
Like I said before, curb-stomping is impossible in this series because no matter how strong you get there will always be monsters who can take you on, you just have to go deep enough in the dungeon. And yes I do hate resetting the balance because what's the point in making a story where a protagonist has a special ability to grow extremely fast but then you make everyone else do the same ? We already have many series of that sort, we don't need more, at least not when it's been explicitly stated that his growth rate is abnormal.
Also what I meant by a rival is someone who is starts off just as weak as you are but is able to keep up with your growth as if you were in a party and sharing exp equally, if there happens to be a character that is already immensely powerful in this story then I wouldn't mind him being here. but someone who is for example level 5 and starts getting a lot of stats boosts as well as level ups just because the protagonist appeared in the city, when before that it took him years to get to the next level, that is what I don't want to see, everyone's growth rate should not change.

And his teammates becoming useless doesn't have to happen, there are so many monsters in each floor and sometimes you'll be attacked by large groups of them, what matters is that his teammates don't keep up with his growth, that is all(Watch Lili always being only one level lower than the protagonist).

Quote:
Find me one new (within the last five years, which is very lenient) Light Novel title that hasn't been animated/adapted to LA, not by previously established authors, and has a higher sale than DanMachi's volume 5. Also, DanMachi's sale has been continually increasing per volume as well, lack of an over-arching plot is clearly a non-issue.
If they try to milk it anyway, it will won't be as good as it can. And the fact that there is no over-arching plot will be a problem as more volumes appear but we don't get anywhere with the story, although I can already see this series having some plot that hasn't been revealed, it most likely has to do with reaching the end of the dungeon.

Quote:
I can partially agree on this. I stopped after 2 for a really long time before continuing, well I didn't until I saw the Kono LN's ranking. Volume 4 is stalling too, but I would not say most of those details boring and serve little purposes.

tl;dr: Overall, I think you and I just have very different expectations and demands from this series due to literally opposite personal preferences, which is somewhat refreshing as I haven't met someone whom I almost completely disagree with but ends up liking the same story. Selfishly, I hope the story continues according my taste, as this is the only new light novel that I'm actively following besides mystery/sci-fi titles.
Haha, Yeah I guess we have different opinions, but Yeah I do enjoy this LN quite a bit.
Old 2014-08-07, 23:18   Link #231
Shidou

I wonder, if Bell die Freya will go to the heaven in order to take his soul, but what will she do with his soul (not sur if i wrote this sentence very well ) ? Will she keep Bell's soul with her or will she put back his soul in his body ?
Shidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 00:03   Link #232
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidou View Post
I wonder, if Bell die Freya will go to the heaven in order to take his soul, but what will she do with his soul (not sur if i wrote this sentence very well ) ? Will she keep Bell's soul with her or will she put back his soul in his body ?
She wants to keep it and stare at forever

Not that she could though. Considering Bell's "gramps" is actually
Spoiler for lol:
little Freya is dead the moment she tries. Like, DEAD dead.
Old 2014-08-08, 00:09   Link #233
@GEMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
She wants to keep it and stare at forever

Not that she could though. Considering Bell's "gramps" is actually
Spoiler for lol:
little Freya is dead the moment she tries. Like, DEAD dead.
who mention zeus is bell's gramps?
Old 2014-08-08, 00:10   Link #234
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by @GEMC View Post
who mention zeus is bell's gramps?
Saw it on an unmentionable place on the net, actually. Apparently that's the reason that Bells Fire Bolt is actually exploding lightning. And also where he got his harem idea....

Last edited by Flower; 2014-12-28 at 03:24.
XFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 00:23   Link #235
Miraluka
Banned

It was one within my expectations... but I always had something bugging me on that theory.

Actually, wouldn't that mean, Zeus is dead?
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 00:45   Link #236
Shidou

So his grandfather who dead is chronos ? ( well we don't have any proof that his grandfather is dead, only what the people say )
Shidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 01:42   Link #237
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
It was one within my expectations... but I always had something bugging me on that theory.

If a god dies on earth, they go back to heaven. Zeus messed up somehow and was sent back.

Also, we got a recent hint at it in the novel translation. Remember the "devil and angel" type conscience scene he had on wanting to kiss a sleeping Aizu? It was Gramps vs. Hestia, and during it Gramps apparently bitch-slaps Hestia (who is Bell's patron goddess and should have the most influence over him) right out of Bell's head.

Last edited by Flower; 2014-12-28 at 03:24.
XFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 07:07   Link #238
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post

That spoiler was originally posted here first. Zeus is his adopted grandfather.

Last edited by bakato; 2014-08-08 at 14:43.
Old 2014-08-08, 07:11   Link #239
senjiro
ecchi sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
If a god dies on earth, they go back to heaven. Zeus messed up somehow and was sent back.

Also, we got a recent hint at it in Solitary's translation. Remember the "devil and angel" type conscience scene he had on wanting to kiss a sleeping Aizu? It was Gramps vs. Hestia, and during it Gramps apparently bitch-slaps Hestia (who is Bell's patron goddess and should have the most influence over him) right out of Bell's head.
That was funny, hestia trying to stop the devil side gets chase away... gramps power...
But wait, if bell gramp is him, how in hell he got killed? Normal monster cannot do that, only if he wanted go back for something... and this background dont make bell a demigod?
Well, only wait for more Tl, i can't wait to see loki's family idiot when he see bell destroying minotaur... fuck you tard!!
Mari the pityfull witch
senjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 09:59   Link #240
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjiro View Post
That was funny, hestia trying to stop the devil side gets chase away... gramps power...
But wait, if bell gramp is him, how in hell he got killed? Normal monster cannot do that, only if he wanted go back for something... and this background dont make bell a demigod?
Well, only wait for more Tl, i can't wait to see loki's family idiot when he see bell destroying minotaur... fuck you tard!!
His adoptive grandfather, not a blood relation.

And he got killed because he can't use his godly powers on earth, remember?

Tags
action, adventure, dungeons, gods, harem, romance