AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-05-06, 10:00   Link #221
Chris38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
So Mental Interference magic doesn't consume Pushions, I see. But I wonder why Miyuki was so tired in vol 11 then? The PIB was big but she used Cocytus on 16 persons without problems or maybe her precedent attacks had consumed too much of her Psion Count?
I wouldn't say that she was too tired from using Cocytus.

According to this description of that scene from volume 11, chapter 17:

Spoiler for Volume 11, chapter 17:

I would say that it was a effect of more then a few emotional states going on at the same time, which overall combined into a state similar to a state where you drink too much.

Basically, using Cocytus in combination with seeing the world through Tatsuya's eyes + having Tatsuya embrace her, caused a Miyuki overload
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 10:02   Link #222
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoboSobo View Post
i know that. Gd is a counter magic that's just a condense mass of psions that explode on impact to blow away the activation or magic sequence.

Off course it didn`t work on tomitsuka contact type GD because GD is not a spell it has no activation or magic sequence so there's nothing to blow away.

And he used far strike then because tomitsuka armor was gone,because he used that self marionette magic the formless armor he had before took a form that had a design and he used Gram Dispersal on that to blow it away then used Far Stike to knock him out.
Spoiler for volume 12 chapter 16:
I already knew that Far Strike beat Self Marionette, I brought it up in the first place.

I guess I just misinterpreted your reply to Echizen, since he said "GD isn't a magic which can be beaten like that" and then you brought up Far Strike, as if it could be beaten with Far strike.

My bad. Still, shouldn't this conversation and everyone taking part in it jump over to the Character Power's thread? We're officially not not making predictions for beyond the current volume anymore.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 10:04   Link #223
@GEMC

It would be good if the author would make a volume during the time tatsuya haven't met miyuki. There are still mysteries in tatsuya's background from what I could see
Old 2014-05-06, 10:19   Link #224
Chris38

Quote:
Originally Posted by @GEMC View Post
It would be good if the author would make a volume during the time tatsuya haven't met miyuki. There are still mysteries in tatsuya's background from what I could see
If there are some mysteries surrounding Tatsuya's background then they will probably revealed once we get more hints about Maya's plans regarding Tatsuya and Miyuki, which ... in my opinion, haven't been completely revealed.

But, since this secret might also bring some change to Tatsuya's and Miyuki's relation ... it will most likely be revealed after the whole plot point related to Zhou and the Black Sage is resolved.
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 10:50   Link #225
Rava

Well, about that Yotsuba's sin thing...

Short of presenting new material, we've got several existing things about Tatsuya that are already possible.

1. His Artificial Calculation Area -- This only exists because of Mental Interference Magic. Since Miya was the source, it obviously can't be duplicated right now, but it's still human experimentation, a known taboo that can cause a family to lose its number (see: Ichihana family).

2. Flash Cast -- As a practitioner of this casting method, he's going to get some flack about it because it's a technique that's considered "too unethical for even the miltary to adopt."

3. His BS magic -- Even without the other abilities, Tatsuya personifies the living weapon that Magicians are viewed as. However, they didn't consider him a Magician, and after watching Ep 5 and looking over volume 1, I think his resentment about being made a Magician indicates that he didn't actually go willingly to the Artificial Calculation Area experiment table.

I'm thinking all of those put together could collectively be the "Yotsuba's Sin" and the mention itself sounds like foreshadowing that this is all going to get out in the open at some point, maybe in Year 3.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 11:42   Link #226
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
Well, about that Yotsuba's sin thing...

Short of presenting new material, we've got several existing things about Tatsuya that are already possible.

1. His Artificial Calculation Area -- This only exists because of Mental Interference Magic. Since Miya was the source, it obviously can't be duplicated right now, but it's still human experimentation, a known taboo that can cause a family to lose its number (see: Ichihana family).

2. Flash Cast -- As a practitioner of this casting method, he's going to get some flack about it because it's a technique that's considered "too unethical for even the miltary to adopt."

3. His BS magic -- Even without the other abilities, Tatsuya personifies the living weapon that Magicians are viewed as. However, they didn't consider him a Magician, and after watching Ep 5 and looking over volume 1, I think his resentment about being made a Magician indicates that he didn't actually go willingly to the Artificial Calculation Area experiment table.

I'm thinking all of those put together could collectively be the "Yotsuba's Sin" and the mention itself sounds like foreshadowing that this is all going to get out in the open at some point, maybe in Year 3.
1 - not really kudou family made minaru as an experiment and didn`t lose their number. I think ichihana lost thier number because of the magic they used, that human body manipulation. It was considered to barbaric and to disgusting even by the rest of magicians.
2- Flash cast on itself is not something awful. but the method used to store the activation sequences in to the user mind was deemed "too unethical for even the miltary to adopt."
3- pretty much its true
But over all, because of the human experiment(1), his side effects from it (this includes being very proficient in flash cast, among other things)(2) and because of his innate magic (3) i agree with you, this could be the "yotsuba sin" mitsugu talks about.
But again this could be mitsugu's personal opinion, we never seen maya refer to him as the "sin", refer to him as a monster(in a metaphoric way, because of his tremendous power ) yes, but she never said anything like a sin or and existence that should've never existed or anything like that. Actually only mitsugu expressed that opinion about him from the yotsuba members we seen so far.

Actually is very confusing, opinions about tatsuya re all over the place inside the yotsuba, Maya certainly recognizes his power as a magician and she also doesn`t really treat him differently from the rest of the yotsuba, kuroba twins definitely see him as a great magician and respect and treat him like a normal human, hayama thinks he is one of the best magicians his seen in his life, mitsugu subordinates respects him and addresses him with honorifics, but on the other hand aoki treats him like a "fake magicians" with all the bells and whistles and mitsugu thinks his the greatest sin the clan has committed.

New topic:
I just thought of something, next volume Ancient City Insurrection i think is gonna take place in kyoto, during the Thesis Competition. We know the competition is either held in yokohama or kyoto because in this city's The magic association have branches.
I think the black sage and his lapdog Zhou along side their underlings will attack the competition again only this time yotsuba will be directly involved in the conflict and i also think some of tatsuya secrets are gonna come out during this battle, like his decomposition and his yotsuba connection.
SoboSobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 13:10   Link #227
Rava

Quote:
1 - not really kudou family made minaru as an experiment and didn`t lose their number. I think ichihana lost thier number because of the magic they used, that human body manipulation. It was considered to barbaric and to disgusting even by the rest of magicians.
Minoru is a test tube baby. Cloning/creating an artificial life form isn't considered the same thing as human experimentation in the series (or having the Sakurai series itself would be an abomination), although using genes from related people does add to the squick factor. Human experimentation as a taboo is referring to experimenting on live humans.

Quote:
2- Flash cast on itself is not something awful. but the method used to store the activation sequences in to the user mind was deemed "too unethical for even the miltary to adopt."
That's more like trying to justify it by splitting hairs. You can't Flash Cast if you have nothing there. That makes the storage a necessary part of the Flash Cast technique. It effectively turns your brain into a CAD, and the method of storing and casting using the stored information is what Flash Cast is, just like how CADs require you to load in Activation Sequences.

Quote:
3- pretty much its true
But over all, because of the human experiment(1), his side effects from it (this includes being very proficient in flash cast, among other things)(2) and because of his innate magic (3) i agree with you, this could be the "yotsuba sin" mitsugu talks about.
But again this could be mitsugu's personal opinion, we never seen maya refer to him as the "sin", refer to him as a monster(in a metaphoric way, because of his tremendous power ) yes, but she never said anything like a sin or and existence that should've never existed or anything like that. Actually only mitsugu expressed that opinion about him from the yotsuba members we seen so far.

Actually is very confusing, opinions about tatsuya re all over the place inside the yotsuba, Maya certainly recognizes his power as a magician and she also doesn`t really treat him differently from the rest of the yotsuba, kuroba twins definitely see him as a great magician and respect and treat him like a normal human, hayama thinks he is one of the best magicians his seen in his life, mitsugu subordinates respects him and addresses him with honorifics, but on the other hand aoki treats him like a "fake magicians" with all the bells and whistles and mitsugu thinks his the greatest sin the clan has committed.
It could be. I would say that Mitsugu, Maya and Hayama have the most important opinions here (not necessarily in that order) though, as they are the most likely to have the most complete information.
Old 2014-05-06, 13:40   Link #228
SoboSobo
Reader, thinker, Retard

Quote:
That's more like trying to justify it by splitting hairs. You can't Flash Cast if you have nothing there. That makes the storage a necessary part of the Flash Cast technique. It effectively turns your brain into a CAD, and the method of storing and casting using the stored information is what Flash Cast is, just like how CADs require you to load in Activation Sequences.
you are right that i'm splitting hairs here, but the way the author explains the flash cast is splitting hairs to, because he refers to how to store the activation sequence in the users brain to be unethical not the flash cast technique itself even through storage and technique together gives the user the ability to use flash cast.

Quote:
It could be. I would say that Mitsugu, Maya and Hayama have the most important opinions here (not necessarily in that order) though, as they are the most likely to have the most complete information.
Man i was just making a theory before, but the theory is incomplete because we don`t know the whole yotsuba clan, unless we see the rest of the members of the yotsuba or get some confirmation that the yotsuba and kuroba families are the only two families in the clan my argument is incomplete.
SoboSobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 13:57   Link #229
Diocar

Actually what If you are overthinking things? What If this sin talk is related to the way he casts his sistematic magic. I don t think it is normal that he can cast directly magic sequences for simple magics... And the only information we have about his limitations regarding this is when he is telling a lie in the first vol. Maybe when he is unsealed this ability increases for example
Diocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 14:06   Link #230
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocar View Post
Actually what If you are overthinking things? What If this sin talk is related to the way he casts his sistematic magic. I don t think it is normal that he can cast directly magic sequences for simple magics... And the only information we have about his limitations regarding this is when he is telling a lie in the first vol. Maybe when he is unsealed this ability increases for example
I think a lot of the "Yotsuba's Sin" relies directly on your opinion of Mitsugu.

For example, if you think of Mitsugu as a supremely unreasonable fellow who would rather lose an arm than get help from Tatsuya, than as Rava said, it could be one of these 3 things.

Quote:

Credits to Rava
But these 3 aspects of him are already known by others in the Yotsuba, as well as the 101 Magic Batallion, and knowing these a lot of people treat Tatsuya as a tool to be used, or a subhuman. Those people think of Tatsuya as a guardian who should know his place and not speak out of turn. Other's treat him reasonably, or even respect him as a person or an authority figure. The government is willing to deploy him for missions, as well as deploy Material Burst. A lot of tatsuya's military colleagues show respect and admiration for his abilities, such as Flash Cast and Regrowth. Mitsugu is the only one who see's him as a monster who should be caged. So, if Mitsugu is just an unreasonable person, it's not that surprising he'd judge more harshly.

But Mitsugu is also the Kuroba head of Yotsuba intelligence. It could be argued, a certain amount of level headedness is required for that Job. He's also described as being a Yotsuba to the very marrow of his bones, meaning there's probably not a lot that should rile him so much.

So it's entirely possible, the Yotsuba Sin could be something we don't know yet. How you interpret it entirely depends on how you view Mitsugu himself. At least, that's what I think.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 17:34   Link #231
Echizen777

The 101 doesn't want to hide Flash Cast. Only the Yotsuba want that because it is one of their secret techniques. I wonder how the thought controlled CAD will impact the standards, I have the impression they will reach FC comparable speed. A technique similar to Flash Cast called Spiritualisation also exists.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 18:38   Link #232
hakazee

I wonder why Maya never give orders to Miyuki ? Maya give orders to Fumiya, Ayako, and Tatsuya. But looks like Miyuki didn't do anything like that.
Or maybe Miyuki can't do anything if she's not with Tatsuya ?
hakazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 18:50   Link #233
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakazee View Post
I wonder why Maya never give orders to Miyuki ? Maya give orders to Fumiya, Ayako, and Tatsuya. But looks like Miyuki didn't do anything like that.
Or maybe Miyuki can't do anything if she's not with Tatsuya ?
Maya doesn't give orders to Miyuki because she gives suggestions that Miyuki treats as orders. Prime example, suggesting that they visit after Yokohama.
Old 2014-05-06, 21:28   Link #234
hakazee

Quote:
Maya doesn't give orders to Miyuki because she gives suggestions that Miyuki treats as orders. Prime example, suggesting that they visit after Yokohama.
That means Miyuki is not competent combatant like Fumiya, Ayako, and Tatsuya.
I think that's not fair if only Fumiya and Ayako do the dirty job.
Old 2014-05-06, 21:57   Link #235
Delftear

Quote:
That means Miyuki is not competent combatant like Fumiya, Ayako, and Tatsuya.
I think that's not fair if only Fumiya and Ayako do the dirty job.
Have to admit with Minami now in the picture I was hoping we might get to see Miyuki handle something on her own. Granted, Maya has already said Miyuki must be heir because of Tatsuya, but it would be nice to see her shine on her own for once. We have seen Fumiya and Ayako able to handle missions and intelligence gathering, while the most Miyuki does is make coffee.

Even during the Yokohoma invasion she pretty much just followed orders. Would have been nice to see her step up and take some initiative. Sure she is a powerful mage but where are the leadership skills. Given her character development naming her heir is just semantics. Might as well name Tatsuya heir as he would be doing everything anyway.
Delftear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 22:04   Link #236
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons that Maya does not order Miyuki to do dirty and dangerous jobs is because of Tatsuya. I mean, there's no way he would let Miyuki face danger and if she gets hurt or die in doing so, you guys can already imagine the result, right?
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 22:07   Link #237
Kyuusaisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delftear View Post
Have to admit with Minami now in the picture I was hoping we might get to see Miyuki handle something on her own. Granted, Maya has already said Miyuki must be heir because of Tatsuya, but it would be nice to see her shine on her own for once. We have seen Fumiya and Ayako able to handle missions and intelligence gathering, while the most Miyuki does is make coffee.

Even during the Yokohoma invasion she pretty much just followed orders. Would have been nice to see her step up and take some initiative. Sure she is a powerful mage but where are the leadership skills. Given her character development naming her heir is just semantics. Might as well name Tatsuya heir as he would be doing everything anyway.
I don't think Tatsuya would allow her to do the kind of dirty work that I assume the assignments would end up being. I still believe she's plenty capable of being "ruthless" and "in control" when she needs to be. Wasn't this part of her dilemma in volume 11 where she had some issues with not wanting to be seen as too "smart" or too "stupid and had to thread a middle ground.
Kyuusaisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 22:14   Link #238
kazakiri
Nobody Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophis View Post
I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons that Maya does not order Miyuki to do dirty and dangerous jobs is because of Tatsuya. I mean, there's no way he would let Miyuki face danger and if she gets hurt or die in doing so, you guys can already imagine the result, right?
"Indeed, they could not destroy the world that Miyuki lived in. Though there was no need for Hayama’s extra reminder, Tatsuya accepted the comment without resistance. "

or something like that I suppose... Also giving Miyuki dangerous jobs is just screaming that she's a member of the Yotsuba.

As Hayama puts it:

Quote:
"Still, we are also aware that Tatsuya-dono has not done anything worthy of blame. Although protecting one of the candidates for the next head of house, Miyuki-dono, is your mission, you are definitely not the only one assigned to this task. Even if she is not yet by Maya-sama’s side, it is far too early for the other families to be aware of Miyuki-dono’s position. Of course, given that this is Koichi-sama, he may already have caught on……"
kazakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 22:27   Link #239
hakazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazakiri View Post
"Indeed, they could not destroy the world that Miyuki lived in. Though there was no need for Hayama’s extra reminder, Tatsuya accepted the comment without resistance. "

or something like that I suppose... Also giving Miyuki dangerous jobs is just screaming that she's a member of the Yotsuba.

As Hayama puts it:
Yet giving a job to Fumiya and Ayako is okay ? They're fourth high now. They're the best new comer.

That just means Miyuki is not competent at all.
You should compare Miyuki with another heir candidate Fumiya.
Old 2014-05-06, 22:48   Link #240
IceHism

Quote:
Yet giving a job to Fumiya and Ayako is okay ? They're fourth high now. They're the best new comer.

That just means Miyuki is not competent at all.
You should compare Miyuki with another heir candidate Fumiya.

I don't think you understand. It's stated right in the book. Fumiya or Ayako can't become the heir because of Maya and Miyuki. Because of that, keeping their status is not as important as keeping Miyuki's. Either way, why send Miyuki when Tatsuya will get the job done much better?

Not like it matters, Yotsuba have time and time again has proved that they can keep someone's identity a secret if they wanted to. There's not really a point to worry or to start playing the blame game.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote