AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-03-21, 03:37   Link #221
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I was able to find the full Trump press conference where he went ballistic on Peter Alexander when he was asked how he can reassure Americans of their health.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 04:09   Link #222
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I can promise you that politics is the last thing on our minds as we do our jobs.
Given ow much work than there to be done, the countrary would be surprising.

In a world than worked right, we would have to worry only about stopping the virus and keeping the economy alive, but given than many of the decisions than have to be made will be done by partisans (if not worse) politicians, politic will impact the responses to the epidemic and the economic crisis
Old 2020-03-21, 04:14   Link #223
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
I was able to find the full Trump press conference where he went ballistic on Peter Alexander when he was asked how he can reassure Americans of their health.
George W. Bush got shoes thrown at him by a frustrated Iraqi journalist. With Trump's behavior, POTUS deserved more than just shoes in the face.

I think I would speak for many scared and frustrated people if I post this clip as my reaction to Trump's behavior.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Toukairin; 2020-03-21 at 16:08.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 05:02   Link #224
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post

In a world than worked right, we would have to worry only about stopping the virus and keeping the economy alive, but given than many of the decisions than have to be made will be done by partisans (if not worse) politicians, politic will impact the responses to the epidemic and the economic crisis
Maybe I'm just an idealist that perhaps a virus that doesn't pick its targets based on political affiliation would spur people to put down partisan politics for a few weeks to get shit done.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 05:58   Link #225
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
As long as people an find someone to blame, there will never be a non-partisan issue, especially with Trump as America's leader. So thousands of people will die? I'm sure there's a group of people out there going "Good, they deserved it for being a *political affiliation*"

Plus, this is the internet- the blame game only gets magnified online.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 06:50   Link #226
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Saying the public should not talk about public health policies during a pandemic is like saying "don't talk about firearm policies" after a mass shooting
He's saying that this is not the time to be bickering about political benefits for either side. The fact that this thread spends more time bickering about how badly Trump has handled this crisis than actual ideas/initiatives to solve it is all the proof you need how degenerate this discussion has become.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just an idealist that perhaps a virus that doesn't pick its targets based on political affiliation would spur people to put down partisan politics for a few weeks to get shit done.
The world needs more idealists.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 07:21   Link #227
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I was no fan of George W. Bush, but his reaction to 9/11 was far superior to Trump's response to COVID-19 in practically every way. He didn't attack Democrats (Trump called the governor of Washington state a "snake") or bash the media. He encouraged a bipartisan response to the crisis and didn't worry about the effects of the attack on the stock markets.

Presidents often see a "rally-round-the-flag" boost in their approval ratings in times of crisis. W. benefited the most from this phenomenon, as his ratings shot up to the low nineties after the attack. Donald Trump's approval rating has increased over the past couple of months as well, but only from around 42% to 43%. Three years of snarling at his political opponents and the press, along with the over 15,000 lies he has spoken, makes it impossible for him to get the same kind of reaction as Bush did.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 07:23   Link #228
Key Board
Carbon

We already know the solution

We need more medical supplies, and we need more infrastructures producing them.
Mobilizing the army to build temporary hospital to mitigate surge demands will help.
Nationalizing companies like Tesla to build ventilators would help even more.

We also need to do a lot more testing. We're lagging behind because for some reason the US rejected the WHO protocol and opted to make their own, which failed. And we don't have enough equipment, don't have enough people and don't have enough capacity"
"The truth is... we've under-invested in the public health labs." - CDC Director Robert Redfield

We also need people to stay home, but many can't do that because they need an income.
Mandatory paid leave would solve this, but the current incarnation of the bill is not enough.
You need a lot more than $1000 if you're going to spend the next months trying to flatten the curve at home.

There will be politician who look at these things and go, "no way I'm voting for that"
Everyone agrees something must be done, but they don't agree on the specifics.

That's why the bickering continues

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 07:49   Link #229
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
He's saying that this is not the time to be bickering about political benefits for either side. The fact that this thread spends more time bickering about how badly Trump has handled this crisis than actual ideas/initiatives to solve it is all the proof you need how degenerate this discussion has become.

The world needs more idealists.
And there's going to be even less of us if we don't get our supplies. For me and some of my batch mates, getting COVID-19 from our patients isn't a matter of if, but a matter when.

Quote:
We already know the solution

We need more medical supplies, and we need more infrastructures producing them.
Mobilizing the army to build temporary hospital to mitigate surge demands will help.
Nationalizing companies like Tesla to build ventilators would help even more.

We also need to do a lot more testing. We're lagging behind because for some reason the US rejected the WHO protocol and opted to make their own, which failed. And we don't have enough equipment, don't have enough people and don't have enough capacity"
"The truth is... we've under-invested in the public health labs." - CDC Director Robert Redfield

We also need people to stay home, but many can't do that because they need an income.
Mandatory paid leave would solve this, but the current incarnation of the bill is not enough.
You need a lot more than $1000 if you're going to spend the next months trying to flatten the curve at home.

There will be politician who look at these things and go, "no way I'm voting for that"
Everyone agrees something must be done, but they don't agree on the specifics.

That's why the bickering continues

//
The fact that there's still even apparently college students YOLOing in Florida on spring break doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that Americans are taking this seriously.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 08:33   Link #230
Psyco Diver

I keep seeing "mobilizing other industries", do you all understand just saying it does nothing, it takes months to retool a factory no to mention retrain workers. Look at WWII for a prime example, it took almost a year for factories to switch over to the war effort and took another year to generate enough supplies.

For company's to switch to making medical supplies in sufficient quantities would probably take a year and a half to 2 years
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 09:11   Link #231
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
One of the employees at my workplace was tested positive. While its someone i never met, who knows who else she contacted.

@Meow

French ppl arent better, I have seen a lot crying over the confinement for deprived of their social life, and some going as far as getting out "to enjoy some sun"
Old 2020-03-21, 09:14   Link #232
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:

The fact that there's still even apparently college students YOLOing in Florida on spring break doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that Americans are taking this seriously.
In an attempt to not be so cynical... there's a lot of both. But it's only the dumb ones who make the news. These are the ones who go, "If it's not happening to me, it's not a problem". I do know of a lot of people who are taking this seriously at least.

Plus, we have the issues of just how much involvement people want the government to have in this case. The $1000 to every citizen is a fantastic example- both sides are having ideological meltdowns over it (I think it was this thread that showed the two buttons comic, and i believe it's completely accurate).

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 09:36   Link #233
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Thank you for posting a video that shows both questions and not just the second, Alexander is dishonest about the exchange in his statement defending his behavior.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 09:47   Link #234
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Strange. I thought it wasn't the case.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 10:04   Link #235
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
hahahahaha

I laughed at you.

Sorry!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
Thank you for posting a video that shows both questions and not just the second, Alexander is dishonest about the exchange in his statement defending his behavior.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Can you please put some positive spin to this too? I don't want anyone face-palming after my president speaks.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 10:18   Link #236
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post

Exactly. Some political decisions have to be made. They technically don't have to be made in a climate of partisan chicanery, but they're still political, and guided by ideology as much as anything.

Quote:
You need people to stay home... but you also need people to go out and make the economy turn. And those are just two of the many, many contradictory needs you have.

(Another example: you need people to do as they're told... but you also need them to not feel like they're under a dictatorship. Unless you're already a dictatorship, in which case it's not a problem.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 10:22   Link #237
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Can you please put some positive spin to this too? I don't want anyone face-palming after my president speaks.
That is certainly one way to interpret rubbing your brow and then resting your hand on your neck, what flavor of spin would you like to counter yours?
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 10:29   Link #238
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
That is certainly one way to interpret rubbing your brow and then resting your hand on your neck,
Masterful. Thank you!!!

My spin is that our president is a stand-up comedian, especially when comedy is hard to come by these days. They are throwing stats like as many as million infected in NY by the middle of April. And 5-10 million jobs lost in that same duration. I need the laugh.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 11:55   Link #239
The Green One

So I wonder who's going to get thrown under the bus when this is all over. People are going to want someone to blame for the deaths.
Old 2020-03-21, 12:33   Link #240
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Guide to the new normal in a pandemic.

1. Social distancing. Most of us are not billionaries who no doubt are already living in a private island, but we can do an effort to be at least 2 meters from other people outside our household.

2. Take as much sunglight as posible. The human skin needs ultraviolet light to produce vitamin D which helps fight infections.

3. Don't be Zinc deficient. You will need it to fight covid-19 specifically.

4. Set your blu-ray, android, etc. box to 720p or less. Streaming can keeps us from thinking about the pandemic, but the internet might break down, in europe the principal streaming services are already limiting the badnwidth of videos, but who knows if common sense will prevail everywhere and internet infrastructure varies depending on where you live.

5. Frugality is your friend. The economy is going down the dumps, it is time to start cooking at home instead of buying already made unhealthy food.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote