Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-03-20, 01:31   Link #201
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
The number of death in Italy has reached 3,405, making it officially the country with the most casualties of Coronavirus.
Italy is also having the most active cases (33,190), followed by Spain (16,139), Germany (15,161) and the US (13,960).
However, I believe that the US will be at the top soon. After all it has just had a 54% increase within a single day.

The UK's number is super fake by the way.
60 ~ 70% of the infected in my country are the people who came back from the UK.
There is no way the real number is that low.
Well, their lies will be exposed soon enough, once the bodies pile up.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Those numbers should probably be corrected for availability of testing, somehow.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 01:51   Link #202
The Green One

So.... how about those people price gouging by trying to resell toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and masks to desperate fear crazed people? Some things just never change. Kudos humanity for disgusting me with you all over again.
Old 2020-03-20, 01:56   Link #203
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
So.... how about those people price gouging by trying to resell toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and masks to desperate fear crazed people? Some things just never change. Kudos humanity for disgusting me with you all over again.
It wouldn't really bother me if that was all it was. What truly disgusts me is the burglarizing of medical care providers for those supplies.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 03:53   Link #204
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Daniel Dae Kim announced on social media via Instagram that he's positive for the virus.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 09:36   Link #205
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Why aren't the clothing manufacturers in Bangladesh, Vietnam, etc., making masks? They have all the necessary infrastructure.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 13:24   Link #206
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Why aren't the clothing manufacturers in Bangladesh, Vietnam, etc., making masks? They have all the necessary infrastructure.
I do not know. But I do know that if they start producing them, thanks to trump's "america first" aka "every country for themselves", there is little incentive for them to sell them to northamerica when they can sell them to their close neighbors (china, india, iran, russia, etc.).

Sorry, but it had to be said.

Another coronavirus risk factor that no one in northamerica wants to hear (since were are in the top 5), obesity:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...eople-17936652

The first victim of covid-19 on my country was an overweight man 41 years old, it took 6 days for symptoms to appear and 10 more for him to die.

Before going to sleep, I came to the conclusion that we should be plenty thankful. Not of the coronavirus, but of living in an age where information and entertaiment is literraly at out fingertips, we might be on quarantine, but we can hear our fellow man.

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2020-03-20 at 13:36.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 16:42   Link #207
dragon1412

Quote:
they kinda did already, but there are many problems, one is that their own supply is not enough so they can't really spare the effort, I remember reading some news about people trying to smuggle a box of face masks.

There is also problem with the airlines now as well, the supply route are still open, but definitely not as many as it was, and there are many countries want it so some are going to get it, some are not, they can't produce enough for the entire world in such a short time.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 17:59   Link #208
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
The U.S. Air Force quietly flew 500,000 swabs for COVID-19 testing kits from Italy to Memphis, Tennessee, on Monday, Defense One has learned.

Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman confirmed the shipment on board an Air National Guard aircraft. The plane carried “swabs” that are used in the COVID-19 testing process, he said during a Wednesday afternoon briefing at the Pentagon.
https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2...=DefenseOneTCO

the US is getting help from Italy, out of all places.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 19:07   Link #209
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Because medical masks are not made of cloth. They are manufactured using non-woven fabrics made from plastics.
And who is the largest supplier of the material? Oh, China, of course
A few weeks ago, their factories were not working, so there was no material for other countries.
Now, their factories are working, but they prioritize making their own masks, instead of exporting the material.
Also, transporting material between countries is difficult and time consuming now.

How about normal cloth masks?
Well yes, we can make them easily, but they are not as good at filtering as medical masks.
Doctors won't use them, and people won't buy them.
After all, if you really want a cloth mask, you can make one yourself.
Old 2020-03-20, 20:38   Link #210
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I know someday, when this becomes but a memory, somebody is going to make a movie, a comedy and people that weren't born or were too young to remember will cry tears of laughter.

Jan 20: "I know more about viruses than anyone.”
Jan 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”
Feb 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”
Feb 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
Feb 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”
Feb 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”
Feb 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”
Feb 26: “We're going very substantially down, not up.”
Feb 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
Feb 28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”
Mar 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”
Mar 2: “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”
Mar 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”
Mar 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”
Mar 5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”
Mar 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”
Mar 6: “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”
Mar 6: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it ... Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”
Mar 6: “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”
Mar 8: “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”
Mar 9: “This blindsided the world.”
Mar 13: “National emergency, two big words.”
Mar 13: “I take no responsibility at all.”
Old 2020-03-20, 20:42   Link #211
Toukairin
Banned

Have you ever heard of repurposing factories? The real question would be how and why factories in Bangladesh, Vietnam, and co have not seen their purposes changed for this moment of extraordinary circumstances. As far as I read since yesterday evening, the autombile industry in the West is currently working to adapt their factories in making ventilators with support from governments (which has not happened yet in the US until Trump signs it if ever).
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 21:40   Link #212
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2...=DefenseOneTCO

the US is getting help from Italy, out of all places.

//
The swabs were flown out of Aviano Air Base, they did not originate from Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Mar 13: “I take no responsibility at all."
Of course you use selectively edited quotes.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-20, 23:46   Link #213
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2wLiUhkmTk&t=7m3s

A highlight on Trump's press conference.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2020-03-21, 00:20   Link #214
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This was a much-needed moment of comic absurdity:

https://twitter.com/mrvndn/status/1241046275249881089
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 00:41   Link #215
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I hope to be wrong, but seems to me that to cover the whole blunder the moron in chief did in respect to coronavirus, the right is using the "china did it" card. What is troublesome is that at a time of heightened tensions due to the trade war, if the USA irritates the CCP too much this could mean war and I mean it literally, china could decide to take taiwan by force when the world is distracted with quarantines and from there who knows to what levels it might escalate.
Old 2020-03-21, 01:23   Link #216
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

While you all argue about politics, I just learned that one of my doctor colleagues died in the ICU after 1 week fighting their own fight. He got it from a patient who lied about their travel history.

The virus doesn't give two fucks if you're left, center or right. If Keynes and Marx went to get plastered in a bar last week in the middle of the pandemic, they'd both be equally critical and/or dead.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 02:38   Link #217
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
While you all argue about politics, I just learned that one of my doctor colleagues died in the ICU after 1 week fighting their own fight. He got it from a patient who lied about their travel history.

The virus doesn't give two fucks if you're left, center or right. If Keynes and Marx went to get plastered in a bar last week in the middle of the pandemic, they'd both be equally critical and/or dead.
Policy matters.

This is absolutely the right time to talk about politics.
There are places running out of medical supplies, while the stock market gets stimulus and some Senators profit from the pandemic.

We want to be more like South Korea, who got the pandemic about the same day as the US but is handling it much better.
Why can they afford to do a lot more testing per day than every other country? That's a policy issue.

And how about social distancing? Some people can't afford not to go out to work and take 2 weeks off.
Paid leave? That's another policy issue.

Not to mention that some people are already going full yellow fever over Covid19 to shift the blame.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2020-03-21 at 02:58.
Old 2020-03-21, 02:56   Link #218
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I can promise you that politics is the last thing on our minds as we do our jobs.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-21, 03:31   Link #219
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Vice has updates on the virus from the various regions:

Old 2020-03-21, 03:36   Link #220
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Vice has updates on the virus from the various regions:

Exactly

https://imgur.com/xftyKIl

Saying the public should not talk about public health policies during a pandemic is like saying "don't talk about firearm policies" after a mass shooting

//