AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-03-11, 21:01   Link #201
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAccount View Post
A lunatic for adding the honorifics back in and correcting the terminology, a lunatic for doing it on his or her own, or a lunatic for what other reason?
A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

While I'm sure there were some people who appreciated it, I'm sure most did not really care at the end of the day.
Rasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-11, 21:42   Link #202
Rava

Quote:
Don't have honorifics at all or attempt to translate Japanese honorifics into Chinese honorifics?
Japanese-style honorifics (-sama, -dono, etc) don't exist in Chinese. Sticking the equivalent of "-sama" at the end of anything in Chinese sounds just as stupid as it does in English, no matter what you try to translate it to.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-11, 21:52   Link #203
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
Japanese-style honorifics (-sama, -dono, etc) don't exist in Chinese. Sticking the equivalent of "-sama" at the end of anything in Chinese sounds just as stupid as it does in English, no matter what you try to translate it to.
...That's going to be an unfortunate surprise for the people who were so distraught to hear about English translations they decided to read the Chinese ones....
Old 2015-03-11, 22:11   Link #204
ProxyAccount

Quote:
Yes, Japanese honorifics are not the same as Chinese honorifics. I was referring to translating Japanese honorifics to Chinese honorifics, such as prefixing 家, 阿, 贤, or 仁, to 兄, and so forth.
ProxyAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-11, 22:35   Link #205
larethian

Of course Rava, you are right. But just for the record, Onii-sama sounds just as stupid in modern Japanese society too
It depends on target audience really. It will be weird to see them in official books, but it does have a place in fan translations (and can be see as loan words) though I agree it should stay just there.
Chinese actually has enough vocab to make very close translations. I can use something like "敬爱的哥哥". May sound stupid since nobody does that in RL, but we won't hear native Japanese imoutos calling their brothers Onii-sama too unless they are Chuuni Otakus
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-11, 22:57   Link #206
ProxyAccount

As with the United States, time has changed social norms. Back in the 70s, age, social status, and gender were important factors in determining honorific usage and formality, in addition to closeness, power-dynamics/authority, occupation, and inner circle vs. outer circle. As time as gone on, social status and gender have diminished in determining the usage of honorifics. However, power-dynamics/authority has remained important, or perhaps become more important.

I also remember that my mother was very respectful to her eldest brother, as well as to her uncle and aunt in when non-family members were around, but more casual when it was non-formal and only family members were present.

It should be noted that much as many things are cyclical, there are indications in MKnR that Japanese society has become socially more conservative, and more racially diverse.
Old 2015-03-12, 00:23   Link #207
TonyC1994
Unknown

Such mixed feelings about this.
I'm happy that I can now support the author but absolutely annoyed since it will probably be years before I can even read the newer volumes.

Yen Press is so slow.... If only they could just buy the already amazing fan translations.
TonyC1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-12, 00:35   Link #208
Verisimilitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Of course Rava, you are right. But just for the record, Onii-sama sounds just as stupid in modern Japanese society too
It depends on target audience really. It will be weird to see them in official books, but it does have a place in fan translations (and can be see as loan words) though I agree it should stay just there.
Chinese actually has enough vocab to make very close translations. I can use something like "敬爱的哥哥". May sound stupid since nobody does that in RL, but we won't hear native Japanese imoutos calling their brothers Onii-sama too unless they are Chuuni Otakus
I've seen some of the Chinese translations for honorifics. Onii-sama becomes ”兄长大人“ ,while Tatsuya-kun is "达也君” and -senpai is "前辈“.
Verisimilitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-12, 00:40   Link #209
larethian

^ Direct translations LOL!
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-12, 00:45   Link #210
Rava

Quote:
Yes, Japanese honorifics are not the same as Chinese honorifics. I was referring to translating Japanese honorifics to Chinese honorifics, such as prefixing 家, 阿, 贤, or 仁, to 兄, and so forth.
Out of that bunch, I think 阿哥 is the closest. (AFAIK 兄 is normally NOT that kind of brother... it's more like a friend that's been sibling-zoned, but that's just from the use I hear and not from references) And you still really don't use that the same way as -sama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Isn't that about the age Miyuki was when she started calling him Onii-sama though?
Old 2015-03-12, 01:06   Link #211
amtro
Distro

Miyuki without onii-sama is like a bird without wings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aDLksTDqcE

Quote:
Isn't that about the age Miyuki was when she started calling him Onii-sama though?
It's not so much about being a chuuni, or not. Sama is a suffix used for gods, it indicates subservience and a very high level of respect/reverence. Miyuki literally sees Tatsuya as a god and anything that goes against that will upset her greatly.
amtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-12, 01:24   Link #212
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post

It's not so much about being a chuuni, or not. Sama is a suffix used for gods, it indicates subservience and a very high level of respect/reverence. Miyuki literally sees Tatsuya as a god and anything that goes against that will upset her greatly.
See, and that's an oversimplification. (Though in this case, you are right about Miyuki.) -sama also gets used for upper-class people and just people you respect. Otousama, Okaasama, Obaasama, Obasama, Ojiisama, Ojisama,Ojousama, Oneesama (think Kuroko from Index. Or one of the Saegusa twins. That is NOT how you treat your gods), Hime-sama, etc., etc.
Old 2015-03-12, 01:36   Link #213
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post

That wasn't the point of the comment. The joke I was trying to make without having to elaborate is that she's still stuck in that age mentally when it comes to Tatsuya. (It's probably also helping in keeping her romantic interests in check, but that's going too far off topic here.)
Old 2015-03-12, 04:51   Link #214
expertsource

guys, if yenpress start from volume 1 and releases 1 novel every 4 months that is mean, we can read volume 15 (4x15=60) 60 months later, means 5 years later. is that right?
if it is right, we have to wait 5 years to read volume 15
expertsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-12, 04:59   Link #215
pampz21
ShipCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by expertsource View Post
guys, if yenpress start from volume 1 and releases 1 novel every 4 months that is mean, we can read volume 15 (4x15=60) 60 months later, means 5 years later. is that right?
Stupid right? The series is long over at that time.

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-12, 05:49   Link #216
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
That's a depressing thought

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-12, 10:54   Link #217
RaymondSageClark
Banned

Quote:
Why you do this to me bro, now I'm super sad.
RaymondSageClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-12, 11:41   Link #218
ProxyAccount

I believe that High School DxD volumes have been released every 3 months.
Old 2015-03-12, 11:46   Link #219
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Quote:
I believe that High School DxD volumes have been released every 3 months.
DxD is not licensed and I hope it will not be for a long time
Old 2015-03-12, 12:03   Link #220
Chris38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOmus View Post
DxD is not licensed and I hope it will not be for a long time
I think he means the manga, which is licensed by yen press.

And since manga's contain a lot less text compared to a LN, it's release schedule doesn't mean anything, when it comes to the topic of how often Mahouka is going to be released.
Chris38 is offline   Reply With Quote